As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hesher] Bloody Hesher

• Options
    FearmeisterFearmeister Registered User regular
    autothrall wrote: »
    It's been there waiting for you, complemented by a large selection of U.D.O. solo albums of quality.

Breaker through Metal Heart = four essentials.

Don't forget Russian Roulette!

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    I'm digging the new Gorgon. Melodic death metal from France. Definitely has a Septicflesh sound throughout it.

https://youtu.be/88GVUNTkouA

• Options
    autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    It's been there waiting for you, complemented by a large selection of U.D.O. solo albums of quality.

Breaker through Metal Heart = four essentials.

Don't forget Russian Roulette!

Don't get me wrong. I think Russian Roulette and all the albums with the new singer are very good, but I would never reach for them over Breaker, Restless & Wild, Balls to the Wall and Metal Heart.

• Options
    Oh yea, I forgot they were making a Lords of Chaos movie

https://youtu.be/M7zrHiqoJ6k

• Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    ilqo6qqowx8g.jpg

My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular

https://youtu.be/M7zrHiqoJ6k

I'm sure it's 100% factually accurate.

• Options
    EthelTheFrogEthelTheFrog Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

I have no idea what to think about this... Seeing Euronymous in corpse paint making out with a chick makes me cringe a little, but hey, it could be good.

EthelTheFrog on
    All these folks trying to be the Hiroo Onoda of the Loudness War...
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I never did finish the book. Still got it, though...

• Options
    This is what I thought of when he said "I invented it":
    gylve_66288q-560x397.jpg

• Options

The director is actually the original Bathory drummer so it has that going for it. That being said, it's not a documentary (Go watch Until the Light Takes Us instead if you want that, highly recommended) so I'm sure there are some artistic liberties involved (making Euro the protagonist and Varg the antagonist seems to have rustled people's jimmies, namely Varg's).

• Options
    edited February 2019
    This is what I thought of when he said "I invented it":
    gylve_66288q-560x397.jpg

Ehh, I'm not sure who actually gets credit for actually inventing the 'sound' of black metal. Sure, Darkthrone was the first to release an album but this was after several years of bands playing music underground. I think the style was developed by Blacktorne and Euro iirc.

As for the 'scene' (ie church burnings, suicides, murders etc). That was 100% Euro with a dash of Varg.

Fearmeister on
  • Options
    Yeah, who knows. To me, Venom originated the black metal mindset per se, and then once Quorthon came around, it was just sort of shades of grey until you get to the obviously pure black metal stuff like A Blaze in the Northern Sky, In the Nightside Eclipse, De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas, etc.

I just like to imagine Fenriz as this totally chill, down-to-earth, kind of nerdy dude: sticking out like a sore thumb in a scene where people are competing to be the most dark and evil. Which probably isn't actually that far from the truth.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    oh, Sunn O))) actually announced two new albums for 2019, the other being called Pyroclasts and coming later in 2019 whereas Life Metal is coming in late April

also they're touring and tickets go on sale this Friday

in in in

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular

The director is actually the original Bathory drummer so it has that going for it. That being said, it's not a documentary (Go watch Until the Light Takes Us instead if you want that, highly recommended) so I'm sure there are some artistic liberties involved (making Euro the protagonist and Varg the antagonist seems to have rustled people's jimmies, namely Varg's).

I've seen it and quite enjoyed it. I've always been fascinated by the Euronymous saga, so I'll most likely watch this one too, but I hate when they ramp up the drama in these things for entertainments sake. Maybe this one isn't too bad.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

Why even support Vice’s vulture shit though  

Also is anything more antithetical to the spirit of black metal than some classic rock n roll ass band hagiography movie

idk seems corny 

• Options

I actually just had a chance to watch the trailer and, uh, yeah. Think what you want about Varg, he has always stated that he hated the black metal scene and everything seems to point to Euronymous being the one who pushed it and reveled in it. That's a pretty big liberty to take.

Also everyone having American accents kind of bothered me, but that's nitpicking.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Here's a new track from Gaahl's new project, Gaahls WYRD

https://youtu.be/SOnl1OMXTjo

• Options
    It is strange that they chose a guy with an American accent and then others with European accents. I'll watch the movie out of morbid curiosity, and also Varg's reaction because if he sees it that will be a laugh.

I have the book, the movie is more of a dramatization from what I've heard, that doesn't really involve the black metal scene at large. However, it IS being directed by the drummer of Bathory, so he at least has somewhat inside knowledge and maybe it'll be respectful and not a total farce. Who knows?

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I feel like at this point the whole thing has devolved into legend. It's the story of two idiots who got into a fight who just happened to be at the forefront of a new metal scene. If Euro and Varg hadn't been in Mayhem (and Burzum), almost nobody would even remember this story even if the church burning stuff was still part of it. It would be the story of the burning of Fantoft by Satanists 25 years ago, a Norwegian coda to the Satanic Panic that only Norwegians would remember.

Edit: To add to this, the only interesting person left in this story is Fenriz, and that’s only because he’s the only one who’s not dead or irrelevant and he refuses to be in the spotlight. Varg hasn’t been interesting since his trial, it’s difficult for a corpse to be interesting, and Hellhammer is the only original member of Mayhem left (I think).

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    From what I've read, the movie is supposed to be mostly accurate, aside from a love interest for Euro who seems to have been completely invented (in reality, Euro was hooking up with a 16 year-old when he was 25, which the movie conveniently ignores). It also sounds like the movie kinda lets everyone except Varg off the hook, in a "they were just misguided young boys" sort of way, instead of really holding the shittiness of the scene accountable.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Why not a movie about the modern / leftist / eco decidedly non-Eurocentric black metal vanguard instead of stabs at street cred

I got like three hours of sleep last night so I’m grouchy and I want to fight

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    I liked the trailer for Lords of Chaos. It's cringy but in a way that a bunch of angsty teenagers who dress up in corpse paint and pretend to worship Satan should be. I mean, I knew guys just like them in high school. They took themselves way too seriously, and it was cringe-tastic.

That reminds me, Periphery put out a new song from their latest album which will be called 'Hail Stan'

https://youtu.be/w1Pyhae2NIU

It's Periphery so you know what you're getting. Having said that, I kind of like it. Djent as a fad has slowed down so maybe I just don't mind hearing it again?

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Periphery is also a lot more dynamic than a lot of djent bands are/were. To their benefit or detriment depends entirely on who you ask.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    This made my lunch break, I never knew Children of the Damned could be so versatile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9chlhaOlys

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    It's cringy but in a way that a bunch of angsty teenagers who dress up in corpse paint and pretend to worship Satan should be. I mean, I knew guys just like them in high school. They took themselves way too seriously, and it was cringe-tastic.

Hell, this still describes me right now.

• Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Why not a movie about the modern / leftist / eco decidedly non-Eurocentric black metal vanguard instead of stabs at street cred

I got like three hours of sleep last night so I’m grouchy and I want to fight

to be fair I don't think leftist/eco BM is as interesting of a story. like I'm pretty sure Austin Lunn just hangs out in the woods and makes beer.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    The new Vanum album is pretty dope if you like your black metal melodic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UTlbrzmKgQ

I'm so jealous you got an advance copy of this...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    It is strange that they chose a guy with an American accent and then others with European accents. I'll watch the movie out of morbid curiosity, and also Varg's reaction because if he sees it that will be a laugh.

He's been pretty pissed about the movie for several years now

https://youtu.be/MtkHUJ0gRM0

• Options
    edited February 2019
    I think they should make a The Death of Stalin-type movie about the early black metal scene

EthelTheFrog on
  • Options
    Donald Trump is President of the United States, the UK is self-destructing, and Varg Vikernes is a YouTuber.

This future is fucking weird.

• Options
    He's seen it (despite saying that he won't).

https://youtu.be/B1tltibj56E

TL/DW: Its full of lies and is a character assassination of me

BTW, his channel is weird as fuck

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Sunn O))) purchased

• Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    The Lords of Chaos movie seems shit and just because Jonas was in Bathory before Quothorn recorded a single song, with the exception of a compilation, doesn't mean he knows jack shit about black metal. He's also an extremely trashy hack director who has a visual knack but that's about it.

From what I've read Varg is treated as a sex drugs and rock and roll guy who was jealous that Euronymous was more popular than him. Instead of, you know, because he's a Nazi prick who believes in his own cooky version of ecofacism.

Edit: the only reason they can make shit like this is because Varg killed one person. If he'd done what Breivik did, people wouldn't find it such a humorous story.

Mgcw on
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Mgcw wrote: »
    The Lords of Chaos movie seems shit and just because Jonas was in Bathory before Quothorn recorded a single song, with the exception of a compilation, doesn't mean he knows jack shit about black metal.

Well, I would say that is pretty relative, wouldn't you? He certainly knows more about it than if James Gunn or Judd Apatow or close to 100% of other directors were directing it, right? Sure, he's a world-renowned pop video/documentary director who has won awards for stuff he did with Madonna and The Prodigy, so he's not just a metal guy. I didn't like his recent movie Polar all that much but then again I didn't like the comic book either, and I preferred the way Jonas set up some of the scenes and order of events.

Oh yeah, you going to the Morbid Angel tour or the Outer Heaven gig beforehand?

Anyway, Lords of Chaos has a 77% Fresh certification on Rotten Tomatoes, which may or may not mean much, but I'm going to reserve judgment until I watch it. It's not like I'm going in with the expectation that it's factually accurate, the majority of these bio-pic dramatizations always play fast and loose with details. I'd be amazed if 10% of this movie was fact. We'll never know. Also I was just looking through the cast list and I misspoke earlier, it seems almost all the core cast are American actors. Very strange choice.

As for the conversation above about who created black metal, there's just no easy answer to that. Venom, Hellhammer, Bathory and stuff like early Sodom and Destruction certainly molded a lot of the musical style and aesthetics, but other bands like Mercyful Fate also get cited as a big inspiration and they sound nothing like the genre. The 'first wave' did not necessarily have a narrow stylistic characterization whereas the 'second wave' did. As much as I love Darkthrone, they didn't create black metal, they didn't even start off playing it...they just perfected it :twisted:

But if I had to narrow down on one recording that I think was the 'rallying point' for second wave black metal, I think I'd have to go with the Deathcrush EP. I mean that was back in 1987, and even then they were covering Venom. Interestingly enough, for me that's also the kick off point for death metal with Scream Bloody Gore...unless we're counting Emmett Otter's Jugband Christmas.

autothrall on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Sometimes I wonder if Varg would just go away if everyone stopped paying attention to him

https://youtu.be/SlKao_Pox5A

That said I will absolutely sneak a flask into the movies and watch Lords of Chaos. There is a zero percent chance I will not catch it at one point or another, especially since I've been donating a lot of platelets and getting a ton of free movie tickets.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    Mgcw wrote: »
    The Lords of Chaos movie seems shit and just because Jonas was in Bathory before Quothorn recorded a single song, with the exception of a compilation, doesn't mean he knows jack shit about black metal.

Well, I would say that is pretty relative, wouldn't you? He certainly knows more about it than if James Gunn or Judd Apatow or close to 100% of other directors were directing it, right? Sure, he's a world-renowned pop video/documentary director who has won awards for stuff he did with Madonna and The Prodigy, so he's not just a metal guy. I didn't like his recent movie Polar all that much but then again I didn't like the comic book either, and I preferred the way Jonas set up some of the scenes and order of events

That's quite a low bar, in reality we don't really know what Jonas thinks about metal or how related he's been to it since 1983. At least, I don't know. Just because he has a flair for directing music videos doesn't mean it necessarily translates to feature length movies.

I think it's a bit silly to lend someone authority over having a credit on one song recorded. Are we gonna start taking whoever played drums on the first Mercyful Fate demo's interpretation of it? Obviously, whoever that might be is not a director, but just an example. Maybe at this point in time Jonas may as well be Jud Apatow, or maybe more appropriately Zack Snyder.

The only Jonas thing I've seen that he's directed was Spun because I saw it on streaming and because he's the director and the cast list, I was curious. It was fucking horrible.

I've only read critiques from other BM fans who found it really bad. It would be one thing if it was satirical, but from what I've heard it's extremely tone deaf and the same sensational tabloid shit they've done with the events for the last 20 years.

I find it irresponsible to pretend Varg was just some edgy teen. The events of the time can pretty much be directly tied to his actual beliefs, things he still believes 20 years later. Especially in the current political context when some incel Nazi radicalized by the internet kills his parents or classmates every other week.

Movies can be made about shit like this and not be horrible, like Polytechnique or Elephant but this doesn't sound very much like those.

I'll see it when it's on streaming sometime within the next few years, I'm sure. I'm definitely not paying for it though.

I'd love to go to Outer Heaven but I just can't swing going to shows for a while unfortunately.

• Options
    Doesn't look like Lords of Chaos is showing anywhere near me. Even the usually reliable place 40-something miles away isn't. Guess I'll have to wait for the intertron release. Which is only like next month or something, so not too bad.

This discussion has been closed.