As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

My peace lilies are totally not at peace!

firewaterwordfirewaterword SatchitanandaPais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
OK so I know this isn't a horticulturist forum, but man my poor peace lilies need some help!

I've got three at various sizes and they were doing great for about two months or so. Now they're all turning brown and wilted and it's making me real sad because I feel like a real shit plant owner.

Google says I'm over watering them or underwatering them and/or giving them too much light or not enough light. I mean come on.

Anyone grow these these things? They're gorgeous when they're healthy and it breaks my dang heart that I can't keep them that way. They're in pots that are big enough for them, and they drain, and I water them once a week or so and god damn I just want some healthy happy plants why is this so hard?!?

I'll take some photos of the poor things later in case that helps.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Are they getting direct sunlight or indirect? Also I would say try watering twice a week and see if that helps.

Edit: yeah and advice about watering is the hardest because it is either too much or too little and no one really has a way to tell you which, it tends to be based on experiment. But if your leaves are crackled and dry I would say not enough water, if things seem to be mushy and on the point of molding then too much water.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Are they getting direct sunlight or indirect? Also I would say try watering twice a week and see if that helps.

Edit: yeah and advice about watering is the hardest because it is either too much or too little and no one really has a way to tell you which, it tends to be based on experiment. But if your leaves are crackled and dry I would say not enough water, if things seem to be mushy and on the point of molding then too much water.

They're getting indirect sunlight, mostly in the morning. Our apartment doesn't get a ton of natural light outside of that, so I don't think it's too much light. The blooms are looking crispier than mushy, same with the leaves, so I guess they just need more water. Will try going 2-3 times a week instead of once I guess.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Brown and crispy is not enough water. Yellowing is usually a sign of too much water. I would water them more frequently. Are you touching the soil every day to see if the soil is dry or not? It's an easy test for know if your plant needs water or not.