As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Kingdom Hearts] Melody of Melancholy

• masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    San Fransokyo
    Thematically, they're absolutely the bugs from Re:Coded because we have to fight all enemy variants we've encountered so far

How did this happen in canon? Uh, there uh, was like a computer, and it uh, fell to darkness or something

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Moth 13 wrote: »
    In case anyone hasn't played Kingdom Hearts 2 in a while, Final Form is still the coolest thing in the world.

well...KH3 light spoilers
    *insert Milhouse meme* it returned as Ultima Weapon's Formchange!

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Moth 13 wrote: »
    In case anyone hasn't played Kingdom Hearts 2 in a while, Final Form is still the coolest thing in the world.

well...KH3 light spoilers
    *insert Milhouse meme* it returned as Ultima Weapon's Formchange!
    Remember Final? It’s back! In Formchange.

• ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    just realized i never got to throw my keyblade at anything

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    While I really like the Formchanges and the updates to how teamup attacks work, I miss Reaction Commands a lot.

IKknkhU.gif
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Can Ultima Weapon be leveled up like the others or does it just come in it's maxed out form?

• H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    It starts maxed.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Can Ultima Weapon be leveled up like the others or does it just come in it's maxed out form?

it would be a dick move to require you to upgrade it

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Sanctuary

it would be a dick move to require you to upgrade it

I mean it wouldn't be required as it is already uber strong and optional as is. Most the level up materials are pretty easy to come by and you'd probably have enough to max it out as soon as you got it anyway so I don't think it would really be a big deal.

edited February 2019
    Simple & Clean
    Okay, so, I levelled up to 99 and beat all the Battlegates

Y'all

There is some WILD stuff in the Secret Reports!

Post-game spoilers
    So, when you put several of the Secret Reports together, it seems clear that the girl Lea and Isa never found is one of the Dandelions chosen by Ava to become the New Union Leaders (the first report specifically mentions "four friends and a key"). They're a girl, so that immediately disqualifies Ephemer, Brain, Lauriam, and Ventus. Elrena was a Dandelion but not one of the The 5, so it's not her. And Strelitzia is, uh, kinda dead. So the girl Ansem was experimenting on has gotta be Skuld, right?

Also, I just realized that KH3 explains why Ventus and the rest of the KHUX game are so "old". They're not, really. They just traveled to a different worldline a second time (sometime after the Keyblade War we see happen in KHUX) and had their memories wiped yet again. And Luxu is in Xigbar's body now because he had to keep Quantum Leaping with his heart until he arrived at the same worldline as them.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Stilts wrote: »
    Okay, so, I levelled up to 99 and beat all the Battlegates

Y'all

There is some WILD stuff in the Secret Reports!

Post-game spoilers
    So, when you put several of the Secret Reports together, it seems clear that the girl Lea and Isa never found is one of the Dandelions chosen by Ava to become the New Union Leaders (the first report specifically mentions "four friends and a key"). They're a girl, so that immediately disqualifies Ephemer, Brain, Lauriam, and Ventus. Elrena was a Dandelion but not one of the The 5, so it's not her. And Strelitzia is, uh, kinda dead. So the girl Ansem was experimenting on has gotta be Skuld, right?

Also, I just realized that KH3 explains why Ventus and the rest of the KHUX game are so "old". They're not, really. They just traveled to a different worldline a second time (sometime after the Keyblade War we see happen in KHUX) and had their memories wiped yet again. And Luxu is in Xigbar's body now because he had to keep Quantum Leaping with his heart until he arrived at the same worldline as them.
    Skuld also just fits aesthetically with Lea and Isa's whole thing

6F32U1X.png
  • HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular
    Secret Ending
    I thought it was pretty clear that Sora and Riku ended up in some kind of alternate Tokyo. Sora in Shibuya and Riku in Shinjuku. The building he sees, I saw as the Japanese Diet building

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Ok so postcards. Does getting a reward remove it from the pool or is it just full on random and I'm going to be reloading a save for the thing I need over and over?

X22wmuF.jpg
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    turtleant wrote: »
    Ok so postcards. Does getting a reward remove it from the pool or is it just full on random and I'm going to be reloading a save for the thing I need over and over?

There are a finite number of postcards, and the rewards are random and non-repeating

Javen wrote: »

There are a finite number of postcards, and the rewards are random and non-repeating

Thank ya!

X22wmuF.jpg
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    An epilogue theory I find kinda interesting
    saw someone floating out the idea that maybe what's in the black box is...the Master of Masters

or rather, his body

what we have seen and know as the Master is just his heart, the only remaining character who continually stays in a cloak, much like Ansem's heart when he visited Sora on Destiny Islands

and his body is in the box Luxu is tasked with so that not only will the Gazing Eye allow him to SEE all of time, the box containing a version of himself allows him to GO anywhere in time

man I can't believe I'm into this shit and now it's gonna be at least like 4 years until there's even a hint of more story

6F32U1X.png
    A thing I actually said last night:

The Final World:
    ”I need to collect 111 Soras so that my pants can become real.

• H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Mr. G wrote: »
    An epilogue theory I find kinda interesting
    saw someone floating out the idea that maybe what's in the black box is...the Master of Masters

or rather, his body

what we have seen and know as the Master is just his heart, the only remaining character who continually stays in a cloak, much like Ansem's heart when he visited Sora on Destiny Islands

and his body is in the box Luxu is tasked with so that not only will the Gazing Eye allow him to SEE all of time, the box containing a version of himself allows him to GO anywhere in time

man I can't believe I'm into this shit and now it's gonna be at least like 4 years until there's even a hint of more story
    It's just a bunch of spare changes of black cloaks.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
    Does anyone know where I can farm lucid/wellspring crystals that isn't a battlegate?

X22wmuF.jpg
    Simple & Clean
    Does anyone know where I can farm lucid/wellspring crystals that isn't a battlegate?

Not sure about Lucid, but you can farm Wellspring Crystals on Lucky Island in the Carribbean.

Good luck with that drop-rate, though. Took me about half an hour to get just two of them.

IKknkhU.gif
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean

Not sure about Lucid, but you can farm Wellspring Crystals on Lucky Island in the Carribbean.

Good luck with that drop-rate, though. Took me about half an hour to get just two of them.

moogle postcards have a chance at giving you a lucky ring, which helps with item drops

• Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    Bit of a goof, but potential spoilers:

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Javen wrote: »

moogle postcards have a chance at giving you a lucky ring, which helps with item drops

Make sure goofy has lucky strike equipped, and use one of the keyblades with built in lucky strike (like the toystory one, IIRC).

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Was looking forward to this. Love this channel so much.

https://youtu.be/6KxQzAvO_0Q

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Oh yeah...I forget there are actually people who play this for Disney product placement and not for the anime bullshit.

Sanctuary
    Secret Movie
    I think Kingdom Hearts has become Nomura’s backdoor pilot to get to make Versus 13 anyway and I am in love with the audacity

I was thinking about this again
    actually KH4 could potentially be Nomura's trick to getting to make Versus XIII AND TWEWY 2 in the same game

He might be a genius

6F32U1X.png
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    Carribean
    I love how instead of just the weirdly more detailed characters in kh2 now even sora donald and goofy are weirdly more detailed.

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    Carribean
    I love how instead of just the weirdly more detailed characters in kh2 now even sora donald and goofy are weirdly more detailed.
    Man, now I'm getting the mental image of Donald and Goofy being rendered as literally the animals they are, realistic-style, and I'm disappointed it wasn't that.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
    Secret Movie
    I think Kingdom Hearts has become Nomura’s backdoor pilot to get to make Versus 13 anyway and I am in love with the audacity

I was thinking about this again
    actually KH4 could potentially be Nomura's trick to getting to make Versus XIII AND TWEWY 2 in the same game

He might be a genius
    The next major KH antagonist group: The Reapers and the Angels.

• The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Ultima Weapon
    i still can't believe they finally just gave Sora a fucking sword

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
    Ultima Weapon
    i still can't believe they finally just gave Sora a fucking sword
    he got one in Days’s Mission Mode. His strongest weapon was the Dream Sword from KH1’s prologue.

• Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    The platinum grind continues apace. Damn you synthesis materials!

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Sanctuary
    Finished the story, got the secret ending, right back in the thick of not knowing what's going on

Did get one last "who the fuck is THAT guy" in before the ending, so that was good

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Sanctuary
    So thoughts on the ending, keep in mind I barely understand the larger plot, so this is more...particulars of what happened to characters:
    Specifically, Kairi. The early stuff kind of works, though it would have been nice to see her do some actual training. And the part where Sora realizes that he can't find her heart, only for it to be revealed that she already had it under control, and is there to save him is really good! It pays off a bunch of the Disney stuff, and it pays off when she says that she'll protect him. It's nice!

And then the stuff at the end hits.

I think you can fix the Kairi story without changing much of how this game ends. First of all, it does suck that she just gets grabbed and then obliterated right at the end of the game, especially when they build the story around her training to fight. There's no getting around that the game fucked it up.

But I think that if they wanted to remove Kairi from the board so that Xion could step in as a guardian, you don't even really need to change that much? All you have to do is give her a little agency in the scene. The initial scene where she's grabbed, just have her...I dunno, wink at Sora and co., to hint that she's letting this happen because she's got some sort of plan. It still takes her off the board, but she's already doing more.

And then, you switch her getting killed with her actively sacrificing herself to give the rest of the team an opening. And then it's not even explicitly to make Sora mad enough to fight. You throw in one line about connections, and you don't even have to shoehorn in the "well she's probably still ok" stuff. And most of the plot doesn't even change!

I mean, ideally you...don't do it at all, probably, because the "there are seven guardians of the light" thing is a made up rule that they can just change to fit the number of characters they have, but hey, working within the lines they drew, I think there's a way to salvage it that they absolutely missed. And that's...you know, probably the biggest problem with the game somewhat sorted

• RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Sanctuary
    Secret Movie
    Killing off Sora so he could play in the Reaper's Game was not the shot I expected to go out on, but it was the only 100% way to hook me again, so good on them.

Kairi
    What was even the point of the horns on her hood if we never got to see it in game! I don't want this pity promo art, put on the hood!

Radius on
    Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    And... done. Got platinum, I can now say I’ve thoroughly eked out everything I can from a game I waited a long time for. Well... until the dlc arrives at any rate.

edited February 2019
    Sanctuary
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    So thoughts on the ending, keep in mind I barely understand the larger plot, so this is more...particulars of what happened to characters:
    Specifically, Kairi. The early stuff kind of works, though it would have been nice to see her do some actual training. And the part where Sora realizes that he can't find her heart, only for it to be revealed that she already had it under control, and is there to save him is really good! It pays off a bunch of the Disney stuff, and it pays off when she says that she'll protect him. It's nice!

And then the stuff at the end hits.

I think you can fix the Kairi story without changing much of how this game ends. First of all, it does suck that she just gets grabbed and then obliterated right at the end of the game, especially when they build the story around her training to fight. There's no getting around that the game fucked it up.

But I think that if they wanted to remove Kairi from the board so that Xion could step in as a guardian, you don't even really need to change that much? All you have to do is give her a little agency in the scene. The initial scene where she's grabbed, just have her...I dunno, wink at Sora and co., to hint that she's letting this happen because she's got some sort of plan. It still takes her off the board, but she's already doing more.

And then, you switch her getting killed with her actively sacrificing herself to give the rest of the team an opening. And then it's not even explicitly to make Sora mad enough to fight. You throw in one line about connections, and you don't even have to shoehorn in the "well she's probably still ok" stuff. And most of the plot doesn't even change!

I mean, ideally you...don't do it at all, probably, because the "there are seven guardians of the light" thing is a made up rule that they can just change to fit the number of characters they have, but hey, working within the lines they drew, I think there's a way to salvage it that they absolutely missed. And that's...you know, probably the biggest problem with the game somewhat sorted
    they could always retcon it in 4 (for lack of a better name) that she knew what was up and was doing this to lead Sora to whatever The New Problem will be that he and Riku have to deal with is, cause boy it would be nice to give the idea that maybe Kairi is in any way an active player in anything instead of just being along for the ride

she was actually more active in 2! somehow Merlin's training gave her less agency!

I also wish they gave her the character note of she just doesn't like Axel no matter what, that dude abducted her and she's just supposed to trust he's a good guy? instead they gave her the same dynamic everyone has with everyone, it would actually be more interesting if she just insisted on "nah, fuck that guy"

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
    Sanctuary
    I'm really going over the implications of the epilogue again and they make my head spin
    so Xigbar is actually Luxu

which means that he was tasked to pass down the No Name to oversee time, and he also gets the ability to pass his heart to another body to stay around to do so

so somewhere along the chain the No Name ends up going to Xehanort, and Luxu is also responsible for the entire THING of norting

and he was right fuckin' there the whole time, just waiting for Xehanort to fuck up so he can take the No Name back and just go on his merry way

I want them to establish that Eraqus and Xehanort's master was also Luxu, just really make the whole thing as dumb as possible so Luxu was Xehanort's teacher and his eventual "apprentice"

if the next saga or whatever is all about Luxu and the Fortellers this shit is gonna get wild

6F32U1X.png
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    The epilogue was completely lost on me cause I have no fucking clue who any of these people are

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126