As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Whatever happened to the [TV] Thread?

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    You know what else had 90 minute episodes was Sherlock

Which is a bad show, but don't pretend you didn't watch it

The first three seasons of Sherlock, combined, had fewer episodes than one season of this!

And I barely made it through the second season of Sherlock!

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I'll tell you what, not only did I absolutely watch Sherlock, every episode unbroken and in its entirety, I also took part in a twitter role-play between each episode based on BBC's Sherlock (2010), in which I played the character James "Jim" Moriarty based on the character James "Jim" Moriarty from BBC's Sherlock (2010)

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    I'll tell you what, not only did I absolutely watch Sherlock, every episode unbroken and in its entirety, I also took part in a twitter role-play between each episode based on BBC's Sherlock (2010), in which I played the character James "Jim" Moriarty based on the character James "Jim" Moriarty from BBC's Sherlock (2010)

I don't even know you anymore

Anzekay wrote: »

Technically, you don't know his LARP character

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I tapped out after the second episode of Sherlock

Not because I disliked it necessarily, but because it was such a large investment to sit down and watch

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »

Look, if it helps, immediately after posting that, I burst into flames and withdrew to the center of the earth

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    apparently this is being described as a "16 hour movie" so I am all the way out

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Nicholas Winding Refn’s work has been largely bad so the prospect of more bad films does not fill me with longing.

• Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZHMbh_GTkY

Nicolas Winding Refn's Amazon show Too Old To Die Young is confirmed for 10 90 minute episodes

Miles Teller stars as a grieving cop forced to investigate LA’s criminal underworld, which includes working-class hit men, Yakuza soldiers, cartel assassins sent from Mexico, and Russian mafia captains
    Cast also includes Billy Baldwin, Jena Malone, John Hawkes, Callie Hernandez, and August Aguilera
    Score provided by regular Refn collaborator Cliff Martinez

I see grant the producer still isn't done torturing poor souls.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    At the very least nwr has been interesting bad which gets a watch from me

Ymmv but I find them pretty boring.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Oh man... Sam Lloyd has cancer and it's pretty bad.

He played Ted Buckland on Scrubs.

This is really terrible. He has a really young child.

Fuck you, cancer. Fuck you forever.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    apparently this is being described as a "16 hour movie" so I am all the way out

Pfft theb Mass effect universe had like a 30 hour movie get on that level film makers

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I watched one episode of Russian Doll and then whoops I watched all the episodes of Russian Doll

Honestly the vulgarity in the first episode almost put me off because it isn't really my sense of humour, but then the hooks sunk in and I had to see where it was going and it turns out it gets really good

Also when
    Natasha Lyonne gets her hair cut

I was like oh!! She's ginger @tynic! Which I mean as a compliment, obviously

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    The only Sherlock I’ve seen is the mind palace scene and that’s enough.

Cello wrote: »
    I was like oh!! She's ginger tynic! Which I mean as a compliment, obviously

Every time I’ve seen the trailer I’ve thought the same thing so I’m glad I’m not the only one.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    The only Sherlock I’ve seen is the mind palace scene and that’s enough.

I saw the first episode of the new season recently.
    It's gotten worse.

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Everything else aside, "Too Old to Die Young" is a fantastic crime noir title

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Finished off Patriot season 2 last night. What a weird, sad, unique show. Nothing else on TV sounds or looks like it. It's got a lot of Mamet style punctuated dialogue, without feeling like it's trying to be Mamet, lots of repeated names and phrases, but with far less arrogance. Multiple characters wind up with head injuries and there are often first person shots from them with distorted sound and/or visuals. It looks great, like a lot of movies that Wes Anderson watched, but with only like 20% of the twee and 50% more crippling depression and sadness, and, admittedly, a much more dour coloring.

It certainly doesn't hit everything it aims for but dammit, it sure tries hard and most of it works pretty well.

And season 2's theme song is Beastie Boys and that's gotta be worth something, with a cool, episode unique title card for each episode.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    10 90 minute episodes could work if each episodes was structured as a semi-standalone thing, a small movie in the world of the main character

Like, it sounds like it's going to be a noir, so each one is its own case or whatever

I don't really have faith that this is what it will be though, it will probably be a bunch of underdeveloped characters staring at interesting shadows for forty five or every ninety minutes

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I don't think it's going to be the best thing in the world

But the "this whole season can be considered a movie" thing was just done with Twin Peaks The Return, and the "90 minute episodes" thing is about to be done with Game of Thrones. Obviously that stuff can be brushed away with one being from Lynch and the other being a final season/Game of Thrones/only most of a season and not all of a season, but I haven't seen either concept generally criticized before this instance

Sweeney Tom on
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    A bunch of people criticized Twin Peaks for that though?

And I for one have been complaining about too long episodes of Netflix originals for as long as I can remember. And those don't even go that long, they're just going a proper hour instead of a TV hour for the most part.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I continue to get the sense that "prestige" TV are doing these 90 minute episodes so that they can feel like movies.

Because they want the perceived respect of movies.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Cello wrote: »
    I was like oh!! She's ginger tynic! Which I mean as a compliment, obviously

Every time I’ve seen the trailer I’ve thought the same thing so I’m glad I’m not the only one.

Hmm
    tynic wrote: »
    I'm watching Russian Doll

- ah, yep, these are my people
    - wait, that's concerning.

Hmmmmm

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I'm only 2 episodes into Russian Doll but if this thread is any indication of truth, Tynic leads a really wild life.

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Nicholas Winding Refn made that movie where Ryan Gosling gets the bloody piss beaten out of him by a dumpy middle aged man, that sequence is very watchable

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I continue to get the sense that "prestige" TV are doing these 90 minute episodes so that they can feel like movies.

And here I am looking at the age of the "cinematic universe" just wishing they'd move over to a TV series format because it's better suited to the stories they're trying to tell.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »

And here I am looking at the age of the "cinematic universe" just wishing they'd move over to a TV series format because it's better suited to the stories they're trying to tell.

The lawn, it is more verdant, yes?

Yeah really this era of media is everyone chasing something another medium is better suited for. Movies want the serialization and crossover-potential of television, television wants the scale and "prestige" of cinema, and video games want both of these things while failing to ever even pursue either of them on more than a superficial level.

And this wouldn't necessarily even be a bad thing if they were respectively trying to incorporate these concepts into the structures and processes that are their natural strengths, but by and large they aren't doing that and we end up with so many "flawed but with potential" products that suffer from an identity crisis.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Russian doll's first season is eight half-hour episodes and I'm shocked they were allowed to do this

it's the best

edited February 2019
    Yeah really this era of media is everyone chasing something another medium is better suited for. Movies want the serialization and crossover-potential of television, television wants the scale and "prestige" of cinema, and video games want both of these things while failing to ever even pursue either of them on more than a superficial level.

And this wouldn't necessarily even be a bad thing if they were respectively trying to incorporate these concepts into the structures and processes that are their natural strengths, but by and large they aren't doing that and we end up with so many "flawed but with potential" products that suffer from an identity crisis.

The prestige TV thing is also partly because studios are making it harder to get those mid budget dramas greenlit these days, so a lot of those directors have turned to networks and streaming services instead and those networks want series more than movies.

rhylith on
  • Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    Russian doll's first season is eight half-hour episodes and I'm shocked they were allowed to do this

it's the best

Homecoming, the very good show based on a podcast what lives on Amazon Prime, is 10, 30 minute mystery drama episodes and it's so so so refreshing.

The prestige TV thing is also partly because studios are making it harder to get those mid budget dramas greenlit these days, so a lot of those directors have turned to networks and streaming services instead and those networks want series more than movies.

Yeah there's some understandable reasons for some of it, but my issues with the execution remain.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

Shorty wrote: »

it's the best

The zippiness of Russian Doll is a huge part of the appeal

It's so fleet and efficient, and managed to entirely bounce over that 2/3 mark slog that hits so many Netflix dramas

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    yeah, it kind of reminds me of the second season of the good place in that way

I've watched three episodes and I literally do not understand what is good about it. Am I supposed to keep watching. Is there a hump. Am I nearly over it.

Tube wrote: »
    I've watched three episodes and I literally do not understand what is good about it. Am I supposed to keep watching. Is there a hump. Am I nearly over it.

It's a fun structure with fun dirtbags

If you do not find the dirtbags fun, the show is likely not for you. C'est la vie.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Tube wrote: »

I think if you're not into it after three episodes it might just not be for you. Have you had the scene in the lift yet? If so, and you don't want to keep watching, then I dunno if it's gonna pick up for you.

Personally I loved the dialogue and pacing and found pretty much every character was instantly extremely watchable (if occasionally detestable), so I honestly enjoyed pretty much every minute.

That might be it. I thought I was missing something.

so far my favorite thing about Russian Doll is that it has had cameos from both
    Buzz McAllister and Paulie Pennino

This discussion has been closed.