As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

join us in glorious pod-hood [jobs]

• I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Holy shit, I just saw the most amazing ethering in an email. Nothing was said that was angry or could be construed as less than professional, but you could also feel the contempt dripping off every word.

I will organize the rest of my career around never getting on this guy's bad side.

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Fucken, Adrian Paul's was three times worse.

Adrian Paul as a Scottish guy was hilarious to me even as a kid.

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I love fog. We get really dense little pockets here and it’s super cool when I’m driving.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I am currently an hour from home, halfway between it and my interview site. To reach my interview site now will take 1.5 hours. To reach my home from the interview site now would take 1.5 hours.

I have questions

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    We've had moderate to dense fog continuously for the past 36 hours or so. I've never seen this kind of weather around here.

qcpww30f7vym.png

We get it, Oklahoma. You vape.

Whatever you do, don't go to the supermarket

• Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Christopher Lambert's accent is so weird in that film. I always think of it as the "Man from Europe" accent.

Huh, and apparently the BBC classifies this instance as a "film crime against the Scottish accent", so there you go.

The BBC are dumb little toilet babies. That isn't an attempt at a Scottish accent, it's an attempt at a completely neutral, vaguely foreign accent that one might have if say, they had traveled extensively for hundreds of years. It was a real reach for Christopher Lambert (who barely spoke English) and he largely pulled it off. His actual Scottish accent isn't great, but I've heard worse.

So he was doing Man from Europe, and he nailed it.

But his accent in the beginning, before he learns he's a Highlander and when he was actually supposed to be Scottish should be Scottish, right?

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Someone called up our office and threatened me with violence today

So that was unpleasant

Solar on
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Christopher Lambert's accent is so weird in that film. I always think of it as the "Man from Europe" accent.

Huh, and apparently the BBC classifies this instance as a "film crime against the Scottish accent", so there you go.

The BBC are dumb little toilet babies. That isn't an attempt at a Scottish accent, it's an attempt at a completely neutral, vaguely foreign accent that one might have if say, they had traveled extensively for hundreds of years. It was a real reach for Christopher Lambert (who barely spoke English) and he largely pulled it off. His actual Scottish accent isn't great, but I've heard worse.

yeah in the flashback bits set before he started travelling he has a way more pronounced Scottish thing going

or at least it sounds like it to me?

Shorty on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin

So he was doing Man from Europe, and he nailed it.

But his accent in the beginning, before he learns he's a Highlander and when he was actually supposed to be Scottish should be Scottish, right?

That is supposed to be Scottish. It's not perfect, I don't know if I'd call it good, but it's fine. I've heard many, many worse attempts at a Scottish accent from native English speakers who therefore have less of an excuse.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I'm so appreciating my statistics professor last semester. He taught the material in such a clear way, and his notes are so useful, that I feel like I understand the material much clearer than my current professor (nonparametric stats but we're going over linear regression) is explaining.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    The highlander movies are my guilty pleasure.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    When my analyst proofreads my documents, she always thinks I should add commas where I don't think I need any. Her husband has been a high school English teacher for decades and she thinks she's an authority. In many ways she is! Just not in the area of dependent / independent clauses.

I'm only thinking about it now because I've just spent all day drafting a 2,000+ word document and I know she's going to add a bunch of commas to it. Even that wouldn't be so bad - I'm the one who ultimately finalizes the document and I'll do it the way I want to, but after she proofreads she brings the marked-up paper copy to my office and reviews every modification with me one at a time. I don't want to tell her to forget about punctuation because she does catch other stuff that I want corrected. We also have a pretty good partnership that I prefer not to test.

This is not a plea for advice. It's me whining about having an old high school English teacher proofread my documents by proxy.

As the son of a former highschool English teacher I can relate.

steam_sig.png
    bowen wrote: »
    The highlander movie is my guilty pleasure.

• DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm back at work now. It's accentuated that my home network is garbage and I'm replacing my modem/wifi combo with some new shit. I may also get a better plan from Comcast. Not sure if I can get reimbursed on it. I just ordered it without asking for approval first. Eh, whatever.

• Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    When my analyst proofreads my documents, she always thinks I should add commas where I don't think I need any. Her husband has been a high school English teacher for decades and she thinks she's an authority. In many ways she is! Just not in the area of dependent / independent clauses.

I'm only thinking about it now because I've just spent all day drafting a 2,000+ word document and I know she's going to add a bunch of commas to it. Even that wouldn't be so bad - I'm the one who ultimately finalizes the document and I'll do it the way I want to, but after she proofreads she brings the marked-up paper copy to my office and reviews every modification with me one at a time. I don't want to tell her to forget about punctuation because she does catch other stuff that I want corrected. We also have a pretty good partnership that I prefer not to test.

This is not a plea for advice. It's me whining about having an old high school English teacher proofread my documents by proxy.

As the son of a former highschool English teacher I can relate.

As it turns out she didn't even come in to the office today. She called this morning and asked if I needed her to, and I said no, thinking of this very thing that I actually do need her to do but am happy to put off.

edited February 2019

See, that's a common mistake, so you're forgiven, but there was actually just the one movie, Highlander.

Drake Chambers on
    There Can Be Only One.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I think it's really interesting that Highlander has as much cultural traction as it does

every single entry into the franchise is a pile of hot garbage

Shorty wrote: »
    I think it's really interesting that Highlander has as much cultural traction as it does

This is the day huh

This is the last day you want to post here

I can like something and also think it's dumb trash

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I eat at Taco Bell occasionally, I'm perfectly capable of liking something because it's garbage.

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular

This is the day huh

Who wants to post forever?

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »

This is the day huh

Who wants to post forever?

[Liam Gallagher singing voice]

I wanna post forevah~

3clipse wrote: »
    I eat at Taco Bell occasionally, I'm perfectly capable of liking something because it's garbage.

Somehow Taco Bell has become my default for an emergency fast-food drive through when I'm stuck in the field. I think it's a combination of multiple factors. Low price, fast service, easy driver's seat eating, acceptable taste.

Oh, and that they're everywhere. So when I'm two hours past when I should have had lunch and thinking fuck I have to eat something, there's the Bell.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    We've had moderate to dense fog continuously for the past 36 hours or so. I've never seen this kind of weather around here.

qcpww30f7vym.png

We get it, Oklahoma. You vape.

Whatever you do, don't go to the supermarket

e8hv2oy4a4fr.jpg
    This was the other day and it's weird as usually it's bone dry desert here

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Whenever I try to write anything long-form I abuse the shit out of commas, semicolons, and dashes. I remember seeing a joke about how programmers are way more prone to using parentheticals (which I do a lot in short-form text, like this very aside) which nailed me, and those are basically the way to cheat parentheticals into actual text.
    I also do parentheticals all the time and just reread an email I sent this morning where I realized not only did I do a nested parenthetical, I didn't close one of them and it's too late to retract.

steam_sig.png
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Whenever I try to write anything long-form I abuse the shit out of commas, semicolons, and dashes. I remember seeing a joke about how programmers are way more prone to using parentheticals (which I do a lot in short-form text, like this very aside) which nailed me, and those are basically the way to cheat parentheticals into actual text.
    I also do parentheticals all the time and just reread an email I sent this morning where I realized not only did I do a nested parenthetical, I didn't close one of them and it's too late to retract.

Oh dear. If they don't notice before trying to interpret the email who knows what they'll do.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Just send a followup email with the missing parenthesis.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

See, that's a common mistake, so you're forgiven, but there was actually just the one movie, Highlander.

2 and 3 are my SUPER guilty pleasures

they're so bad... but I enjoy them so much and I hate myself every minute of it

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me

2 and 3 are my SUPER guilty pleasures

they're so bad... but I enjoy them so much and I hate myself every minute of it

In high school a friend and I bought tickets and went into a movie theater that had a Highlander II poster outside, but it was a mistake - the movie they actually showed was something I can only assume must have been titled Attack of the Dumbshit Bird Men.

We were so mad at the theater.

• SleepSleep Registered User regular

I still think it's time for a highlander reboot where the plot revolves around trying to keep the immortals and decapitations secret in our self imposed surveillance society.

Sleep wrote: »
    I still think it's time for a highlander reboot where the plot revolves around trying to keep the immortals and decapitations secret in our self imposed surveillance society.

I read a thing with a writer from the show where someone asked why there were no police investigations into all these kidnappings and the response was "we realised that if we addressed that we'd essentially never do anything else, you just have to sort of go with it". I think that's fair enough tbh.

• BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Someone called up our office and threatened me with violence today

So that was unpleasant

Sorry you had to deal with that. Did you alert your boss? You doin' alright?

"So you've figured me out. How? Forensic analysis? Photos in old newspaper clippings?"

"LMAO no dude there's a post on Reddit"

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    My office put out urns of hot cider today because they felt we needed a cold weather treat.

It's 55°F out right now. 4 years ago I'd probably have worn shorts outside if it were 55° in February, but today I'm like "Yeah, it is definitely chilly enough to warrant hot cider."

Truly I have been softened by SoCal.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    It's very windy here but I dread going into work as I have to ask WTF is my job and deal with the fallout from the other support being an idiot I keep trying to get back into the plan {I feel I will have to make notes and post them on the notice board and on the garage doors to make him do it

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Got an email to our department about a sketchy email she got. We use to to that years ago but now theirs IT and soon cybersec (who will hopefully be me). I forwarded it to IT and they said "Yeah this is a total scam!". It was an email from TurboTax about a possible issue and wit ha 1-866 number. Employee thought this was a good looking scam and IT agreed. I googled it, and hey thats actually the email address TurboTax uses and hey thats their Security team's email address and hey heres like 4 posts from their community forums and FAQs with TurboTax reps saying those emails are legit and please call ASAP. So I replied to the employee to tell her this just as the Infosec Chief, who is interviewing me next week, came in to talk to my boss, I told him what was up and he was like "Huh interesting what you find when you look" so...I think thats good?

• DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    My office put out urns of hot cider today because they felt we needed a cold weather treat.

It's 55°F out right now. 4 years ago I'd probably have worn shorts outside if it were 55° in February, but today I'm like "Yeah, it is definitely chilly enough to warrant hot cider."

Truly I have been softened by SoCal.

I am curled up with a blanket on my couch. Three years here and I have grown weak.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    55 degrees is a nice day in the Mojave. Little bit of chill, but nice

• KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Who knew that my work experience from an old job at a drug detox ward would get me ready for some of the customers I get at the bank. First time someone said they were with the mob and would cut off my finger though.

2 days in a row of complete assholes. I'm going to see about getting this person's accounts closed.

Kaplar on
This discussion has been closed.