As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Apex Legends] Battle Royale from the makers of Titanfall. High OCTANE gameplay!

• Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Still trying to get my head around this game, but I'm slowly getting there. My last run tonight was really fun, our squad worked well together and we got all the way to 2nd place. And now a clip!

Nothing super special, but it was fun to get the jump on somebody else for once instead of vice versa.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    We also managed a 2nd place win, the gunplay seems to be the hardest part to master for us. Looting and traversing the map I feel like I have a good handle on, since it's not too far from other Royale games

Also the game is a tad buggy still
    https://youtu.be/3QTYzdYUGCw
    That plus some lobby shenanigans happened tonight

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    So does this have movement like titanfall? I loved running around in that game. Never played a BR game.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    In my two games, the movement feels reminiscent of Tribes. If you're running and going downhill, you will go faster as long as you're sliding, and the stronger the gradient the faster the sliding. Just don't expect to be zooming across the map.

Running, jumping, and movement in general feel pretty good.

But that's just based on my two games, haha.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    No wallrunning or double jumping but it has decent parkour. You can pull yourself up walls/rockfaces if it isn't too high, and sliding is really the quickest way to get around. There's also airborne ballasts that you can use to get up high and do a mini-drop to reposition quickly. There's also Ziplines everywhere, and the character Pathfinder has a placeable Zipline as an ultimate. In fact the matches where we lived longest, I used the Zipline to cross large distances quickly.

It's like Titanfall gunplay, CoD movement, with Overwatch style heroes, and battle royale looting and mapsize. Much more vertical than the avergae battle royale game too.

Local H Jay on
  • Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    I moved from PUBG to ROE with my friends for the BR itch that needs to be scratched.

I am loving this. Okay so it’s not titanfall 3 that much is true and to be honest it wouldn’t have hurt if this was a completely different IP. Yeah I know marketing but still could have held its own still regardless.

The combat, team design, characters, weapons, quality of life improvements are great.

The big thing is the UI/ Pinging. So bloody clever that literally you can communicate with the team just by pinging in so many ways. I need this ammo, gun here, I’m watching etc.

Even the little things a muzzle flash coming out if the team mates bar when they fire. So many clever things. That’s not forgetting the characters talking about the zones, squads or drops coming in.

• gigawatt666gigawatt666 Registered User regular
    i saw Apex Legends trending on tWitch and tWitter and downloaded it. I'm having a blast and I thought my FPS days were waaaaayy behind me. (old guy reflexes ><)

BattleNet i.d. : gigawatt666#11111
    Ps4 : Gigawatt666
    Steam I.D. : Gigawatt666
    LoL : GiG4W4TT
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    No wallrunning or double jumping but it has decent parkour. You can pull yourself up walls/rockfaces if it isn't too high, and sliding is really the quickest way to get around. There's also airborne ballasts that you can use to get up high and do a mini-drop to reposition quickly. There's also Ziplines everywhere, and the character Pathfinder has a placeable Zipline as an ultimate. In fact the matches where we lived longest, I used the Zipline to cross large distances quickly.

It's like Titanfall gunplay, CoD movement, with Overwatch style heroes, and battle royale looting and mapsize. Much more vertical than the avergae battle royale game too.

The map size actually feels smaller, and for the better. It's much more of a shooter and less of a looting simulator, as you can find enemies faster. It almost feels like a team brawler like overwatch in that regard, too.
    Paradoxically, the ttk is still higher than other BT games, since hideouts are also closer, and since you can revive.

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    i saw Apex Legends trending on tWitch and tWitter and downloaded it. I'm having a blast and I thought my FPS days were waaaaayy behind me. (old guy reflexes ><)

The nice thing about Battle Royales is you can always compensate for a lack of aim, reflexes or guns with being a bigger Rat Bastard than your opponents.

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular

The nice thing about Battle Royales is you can always compensate for a lack of aim, reflexes or guns with being a bigger Rat Bastard than your opponents.

I found a Kramer as Lifeline so I called down a Care package in the open and waited...

Still lost, but that was fun.

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Somehow, everyone around me irl is talking about this game. What is happening?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019

Because it almost literally came out of nowhere in the last couple of weeks and somehow isn't early access garbage or a buggy mess and has an actual cool roadmap and EA didn't fuck it up and there's some true innovation in the genre now.

Like seriously, I feel like we just witnessed what happens if someone invents time travel.

DietarySupplement on
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    dbl pst

DietarySupplement on
    edited February 2019
    It really feels a bit like what people used to call 'Blizzard polish'

Take the annoying things out, put in what everyone wants, make it stable, beautiful and able to run on most maschines and give it a go

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular

Teach me, because man I suck at this. First BR game I've enjoyed though and I ended up playing ALL night (again)...but only managed to get like 4 total kills heh.

I found last night that a good squad that communicates with each other can really go a long way. We were pinging everything, making sure our load outs were diverse, one guy would scan the area for baddies before I’d call in a care package, stuff like that.

My teammates were also making some good decisions in terms of position, like times we could have engaged someone far off but chose not to so we could avoid giving ourselves away. Or staying close to the edge of the circle so that we could get in behind people running in and surprise them.

It was really a lot of fun participating in that kind of coordination. Some of those things are probably established BR strategies at this point, but they were new to me and I was learning a lot playing with them.

Also, in game chat just works so well. I don’t get why more games don’t do that better.

Steam | Twitch
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found last night that a good squad that communicates with each other can really go a long way. We were pinging everything, making sure our load outs were diverse, one guy would scan the area for baddies before I’d call in a care package, stuff like that.

My teammates were also making some good decisions in terms of position, like times we could have engaged someone far off but chose not to so we could avoid giving ourselves away. Or staying close to the edge of the circle so that we could get in behind people running in and surprise them.

It was really a lot of fun participating in that kind of coordination. Some of those things are probably established BR strategies at this point, but they were new to me and I was learning a lot playing with them.

Also, in game chat just works so well. I don’t get why more games don’t do that better.

I had a match like this last night and it was a good time. We didn't end up doing all that well in the long run, but we had several EXTENSIVE firefights where we were holding our own and keeping each other afloat. I was learning to use the sniper scope (I never snipe in games so I was trying to learn to do it better) and kept this guy pinned down. I couldn't kill him but each time he popped his head out I'd break his armor and made sure to keep pinging where he moved to. My teammates slowly advanced while I did that and took him out.
    The others were doing similar moves when we had other firefights and it was just immensely satisfying.

On that one guy...Gibralta? - who has the dome shield, does anyone know if someone inside of it shoot enemies outside of it or is there no incoming OR outgoing fire?

vamen on
  • Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    vamen wrote: »

I had a match like this last night and it was a good time. We didn't end up doing all that well in the long run, but we had several EXTENSIVE firefights where we were holding our own and keeping each other afloat. I was learning to use the sniper scope (I never snipe in games so I was trying to learn to do it better) and kept this guy pinned down. I couldn't kill him but each time he popped his head out I'd break his armor. My teammates slowly advanced while I did that and took him out. It was very satisfying.

On that one guy...Gibralta? - who has the dome shield, does anyone know if someone inside of it shoot enemies outside of it or is there no incoming OR outgoing fire?

No shots get through either way

• VizardObserverVizardObserver The Duke of Ridiculous Poppycocky Registered User regular
    I love Bloodbound's weird pseudo-religious thing he's got going on. Anybody know what he's supposed to be based on?

• Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    While I have enjoyed the matches of Apex Legends that I have played, I just cannot come to grips with the actual weapon/combat feel. Most of my encounters result in me unable to either discern enemies from the background noise, which means target acquisition is tough for me. And all of the weapons feel less powerful/accurate to me than I anticipate. As a result, I tend to lose gunfights because I either drift slightly off target, or on most of the guns I expect to drop an opponent more quickly/with less ammo than I need. So I'll put three shotgun shells into a baddie, expect that it will drop them, but it does not, and then suddenly I am dead.

Similarly, I have a hard time gauging where grenades will land and what their blast radius will look like, so I wind up throwing my grenades to no use.

My other problem tends to be that even when I do win a fight, I promptly get rolled by the rest of the squad, because I either have a hard time knowing entry routes, or in the heat of the moment I lose sense of where my teammates are.

I have to learn the genre, the inventory management, and the gunplay all at once, and it's making it a bit overwhelming. But I still like most of the matches, even when we lose.

• CyrenicCyrenic Registered User regular
    Moridin889 wrote: »
    vamen wrote: »

I had a match like this last night and it was a good time. We didn't end up doing all that well in the long run, but we had several EXTENSIVE firefights where we were holding our own and keeping each other afloat. I was learning to use the sniper scope (I never snipe in games so I was trying to learn to do it better) and kept this guy pinned down. I couldn't kill him but each time he popped his head out I'd break his armor. My teammates slowly advanced while I did that and took him out. It was very satisfying.

No shots get through either way

Oh man my poor random teammates last night. I thought it worked like in overwatch.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    It seems like team fire is the way to go, especially towards the end game when everyone has blue and purple armor. I'm doing better in my 1v1s but every time I get obliterated it's because I pushed two or three guys clumped together (never on purpose, not that it matters). I'm used to a wide flank being a good thing because you could do work if you caught people unawares but my early sense is that moving in a tighter group is good in this game because two or especially three people focusing their fire on the same target is just way more effective.

• General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    That's the big problem with high ttks. Flanks and ambushes are less effective and zerging people becomes more dominant.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    . . .beating a dead horse: This is how I like battle royale. "You want that weapon attachment. . .here let me slap it on for you." "You saw that shield is better than the one you have? Well of course I'll auto-equip it." "Tired of everyone being the same faceless soldier? How's classes sound?"

Played for about an hour and I'm all amped up. Haven't won one, but EA has their FPS/Battle Royale all in one if you ask me.

Also they get MASSIVE props for explaining EXACTLY how the loot-box system works. Maybe that's tied to someone coming down on EA, but I can't help but feel this was more Respawn than anything else.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    That's the big problem with high ttks. Flanks and ambushes are less effective and zerging people becomes more dominant.

I've actually felt the opposite in our games. You flank to force people into the open while your teammates focus them down. You aren't going to solo wipe a team with a flank, but applying the correct pressure will force a reposition and if your teammates are ready for it, you can pick a guy then push.

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »

I've actually felt the opposite in our games. You flank to force people into the open while your teammates focus them down. You aren't going to solo wipe a team with a flank, but applying the correct pressure will force a reposition and if your teammates are ready for it, you can pick a guy then push.

It’s mech warrior tactics: you want the positional advantage but you don’t want to be caught solo.

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

Because it almost literally came out of nowhere in the last couple of weeks and somehow isn't early access garbage or a buggy mess and has an actual cool roadmap and EA didn't fuck it up and there's some true innovation in the genre now.

Like seriously, I feel like we just witnessed what happens if someone invents time travel.

last couple days

a week ago this was not on anyone's radar at all

fuck gendered marketing
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Wait wait, hold up.

EA published a free-to-play Battle Royale shooter...and it's actually amazing and not a trash fire?

WHAT YEAR IS IT?

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Wait wait, hold up.

EA published a free-to-play Battle Royale shooter...and it's actually amazing and not a trash fire?

WHAT YEAR IS IT?

The year EA had nothing to do with a BR shooter. Apparently, Respawn had to pitch the idea for Apex Legends HARD and convince EA they should put it out.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    edited February 2019
    Well hey, sometimes things work out. Looks like I'm downloading Origin tonight to play the game EA was afraid to market.

Spawnbroker on
  • SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    I mean I'm sure they had to pitch it hard, EA has at least one BR coming out (battlefield right), probably some other ones?

PSN SeGaTai
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    I will be playing this all day today when I get home from work. Imma need some folks to team up with! The only problem is my mic is down, won't be getting a replacement until early next week =/

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Argh! My squad almost got our chicken dinner. Saw a guy right in front of me and panicked tossing a nade instead of popping him with my shotty. Tried to get that Knockdown shield up, but we were already a man down.

. . .still losing in this game is far more gratifying than in most other BR's. That and these games are like 10 minutes.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
    This is the other angle of the video @Local H Jay posted earlier. It was our most successful slap fight on the supply ship yet!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rChVWFxRvhc

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Not enough slapping aboard that Slap-Ship.

Oh there was a good bit of slapping before that clip, I pushed at least one guy off. It took everyone longer than you'd expect to get guns and put real work in.

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    One of the weirder matches last night involved us attempting to drop aboard the Slap-Ship, but I landed on top of an opponent and the physics of that interaction bopped way the hell across the map. So @Moleface and @squall99x got massacred by the folks on the ship, while I just wandered the map for 20 minutes until dying in a misguided attempt to engage the final two teams.

Rius wrote: »
    I will be playing this all day today when I get home from work. Imma need some folks to team up with! The only problem is my mic is down, won't be getting a replacement until early next week =/

Same here... I just added my name to the list in the OP, so everyone feel free to add me if we aren't friends already. Would enjoy teaming up with some fellow forumers. Just remember that I still suck ass at this game.

Steam | Twitch
    It really feels a bit like what people used to call 'Blizzard polish'

Take the annoying things out, put in what everyone wants, make it stable, beautiful and able to run on most maschines and give it a go

This is really refreshing to hear. I've been waiting for a non-Fortnite battle royale to do this. Fortnite is polished, but I basically hate the core mechanic of that game (building), so a battle royale with semi-realistic shooty combat with lots of polish is fantastic.

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Well I downloaded this. Might try my first BR game.