As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Resident Evil 2]: Suffer like G did?

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    Sherry ships Leon + Claire, despite only knowing Leon for about ten minutes.

Maybe it's like the Santa Clause or something, where if you kill Sherry's parents you have to become Sherry's parents.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Sherry is extremely glad that her parents are dead

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    If you kill Santa Clauses parents do you have to become his parent

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Sherry is extremely glad that her parents are dead

To be fair, she's not at all wrong.
    Javen wrote: »
    Hobnail wrote: »
    I will say the guy who drops Birkin really gets shit on unecessarily, like gee whiz boss I guess I'll just let the next guy pull his piece and shoot us all in the guts

Honestly this could all have been avoided if the other guys joined in
    I save my blame for the guy who checked him for a pulse. That head-shake indicated that he was dead, so either Not Hunk didn't know how to check for a pulse, or he wasn't taught what a head-shake when taking the pulse of someone who was just shot means.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    The remake's handling of Annette's death is kind of farcical
    Trying to make the player feel bad about her dying, even one bit, even one iota, after I just got done reading a file about how they would kill 30 orphans at a time and then specifically murder best friends right next to each other? Like she cares a lot about her daughter now, at the eleventh hour, when she made a lucrative career out of neglecting her kid and then murdering kids who had no one? I can't imagine why they thought that would work

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Speaking of Marvin what does everybody think, self-terminate or just go with becoming a zombie

SilverWind and I have a standing agreement that if one of us is infected then the other absolutely has to put them down with extreme prejudice, and failing that then the infected person has to take care of it themselves

There will be no shambling

I agree no shambling around loved ones but if Leon was my only companion I'd let it ride on the off chance of gettin to eat some dull brains

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    In the original the Welcome Leon sign is misspelled with two "L"s in Welcome. I noticed last night that on the desks under the sign in this version, there's an extra L laying around. That's a nice little touch.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Man I was watching speed runs of the original and if a zombie grabbed you while crawling you stomped its head for and instant kill and could button mash your way to little/no damage if you got grabbed

The remake really is much more challenging

• el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Just for funsies, I'm trying to do the sewer skip glitch. It's a lot harder to execute than the videos make it seem. No luck so far!

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I wonder if Leon is a "JFK" Kennedy . It would explain a lot

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    Trying to make the player feel bad about her dying, even one bit, even one iota, after I just got done reading a file about how they would kill 30 orphans at a time and then specifically murder best friends right next to each other? Like she cares a lot about her daughter now, at the eleventh hour, when she made a lucrative career out of neglecting her kid and then murdering kids who had no one? I can't imagine why they thought that would work

I didn't feel like they were trying for that at all. I never got the impression that the game wanted me to think of Annette as anything but a monster who maybe, at the last possible second, did the bare minimum required of her.

Yeah I felt bad for Sherry who really had no clue hiw bad her parents actually were. Annette got what she deserved

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular

look sometimes to make an omelette you have to scramble several hundred orphans

Yeah I felt bad for Sherry who really had no clue hiw bad her parents actually were. Annette got what she deserved

I think she knew. She displayed considerable sang froid in the face of their destruction.

• astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular

I wouldn't make fun of Leon too much, he'll turn it right around on you!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mHChmYcpdd4

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular

Leon absolutely identifies with JD and sees nothing wrong in him.

Also oh no I'm agreeing with Tube what is happening

pHWHd2G.jpg
    Do not worry I do not consider this a contradiction of your existing branding because I have no idea who you are

edited February 2019
    The Tuberant (this is a Tyrant pun)

Gundi on
    no it isn't

I meant because you destroy Leon Kennedy. Like a Tyrant, but emotionally.

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Speaking of Marvin what does everybody think, self-terminate or just go with becoming a zombie

SilverWind and I have a standing agreement that if one of us is infected then the other absolutely has to put them down with extreme prejudice, and failing that then the infected person has to take care of it themselves

There will be no shambling

How about a Shaun of the Dead situation with the zombie chained up in a shed?

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular

I didn't feel like they were trying for that at all. I never got the impression that the game wanted me to think of Annette as anything but a monster who maybe, at the last possible second, did the bare minimum required of her.

But she never meant for this to happen. She was killing hundreds of orphans in order to develop an unkillable monster incest virus that would help mankind.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    I think the thing she didn't mean to happen was "this goes public"

I think mostly she did it because she found the research super fun. She wanted it to be a success but ultimately I don't think she would have been bothered as to how it was used so long as she was the one who got credit.

edited February 2019
    Maybe you're right and maybe I'm being too harsh on the writers
    But between the dramatic music, Sherry sobbing uncontrollably, Claire assuring her that Annette really genuinely loved her... I mean, the last thing she does is hold Claire's hand and beg her to save Sherry while dramatic, sad string music is playing in the background. Seconds before this, Claire is actually preparing to pick her up and physically carry her out of the facility. Every part of the framing of that scene reads like it's supposed to be emotionally affecting rather than like "oh thank God this evil scientist will murder no more children"

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I've been getting in deep with this game, hoo boy

Mr. X:
    I maintain all instant kills in video games are almost always bullshit. I tried to maneuver around him after I got punched, but the game decided that I actually wasn't allowed to even make a single mistake.

Beyond that, I've been pretty happy with this remake.

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Okay I started this
    I'm playing on Assisted, and I might have cheated on a safe or two to boost my inventory size, whatever, don't judge me

edited February 2019
    RE2 is hard, cheat in whatever way the game allows you to

Shit when I played the N64 version I was such a scaredy-cat I couldn't play it at all without invincibility mode on

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
    But between the dramatic music, Sherry sobbing uncontrollably, Claire assuring her that Annette really genuinely loved her... I mean, the last thing she does is hold Claire's hand and beg her to save Sherry while dramatic, sad string music is playing in the background. Seconds before this, Claire is actually preparing to pick her up and physically carry her out of the facility. Every part of the framing of that scene reads like it's supposed to be emotionally affecting rather than like "oh thank God this evil scientist will murder no more children"

I dunno like
    If some kid was crying in front of me because her mother was dying and there was any ambiguity about whether their mother loved them I would probably err on the side of reassurance rather than "isn't it fucked up how weird your dead mom was?"

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Claire is very good

I dunno like
    If some kid was crying in front of me because her mother was dying and there was any ambiguity about whether their mother loved them I would probably err on the side of reassurance rather than "isn't it fucked up how weird your dead mom was?"
    Regardless of our respective reads on that scene we can all be thankful that, as upset as Sherry is in the moment, once she's 30 seconds removed from her mother's death she completely stops caring

dN0T6ur.png
    I should probably watch some of these scenes again honestly.

I really like the portrayal of Annette in this, because she's not like, a cackling villain. She just doesn't give a shit. She's extremely interested in her work (which is going badly fucking wrong) and doesn't care about much else. She isn't shown like, backhanding Sherry to show how evil she is. Instead she's just either disinterested or yells at her for getting in the way like shitty, stressed out parents do in real life. I love the way she looks: tired, stressed out, with her hair in a loose plait just to get it out of her face. She just seems like a real lady, I can understand where she's coming from at every point whilst also thinking "wow, you are an absolute trash fire".

She has a very naturalistic script and performance, like everyone else, which helps.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I liked the interaction between Claire and Sherry at the end of Claire B where
    Where Claire asks her what she wants to do and upon hearing that Sherry wants to go to Claires home Claire responds with "Sounds good, because I could use a shower." and they have a few little laughs about the mess Claire is at the moment. Because I was thinking, during the sewer section "oh god, oh god, not enough soap, not enough soap in the world. gross gross gross gross."

I think Annette's single best moment is actually very small
    In the lead-up to the fight with G3, when she reflects that for some reason she couldn't kill William

And Claire says "He was your husband," you loved him being the unspoken half of that sentence

And Annette just gives her the most "why are all of you people so stupid" look in the history of fiction

dN0T6ur.png
    edited February 2019
    William Birkin doesnt strike me as marrying for love.
    She probably asked for a credit on a research paper he was writing and figured marriage was easier

King Riptor on
    She probably asked for a credit on a reseaech paper he was writing and figured marriage was easier

I picture it as they started talking about science and got incredibly into it and it was like a true meeting of the minds rather than love. At some point they went "well, we should have a child, to pass on our smartest person genes" and the other went "hmm yes a fine idea let's do it".

I can't imagine that he ever like, bought her a shot or invited her on a hike.

edited February 2019
    This game really shouldn't still have me this spooked after as much time as I've spent playing it

The zombies being so strong has to be a major component of the anxiety here

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
    She probably asked for a credit on a reseaech paper he was writing and figured marriage was easier

I picture it as they started talking about science and got incredibly into it and it was like a true meeting of the minds rather than love. At some point they went "well, we should have a child, to pass on our smartest person genes" and the other went "hmm yes a fine idea let's do it".

I can't imagine that he ever like, bought her a shot or invited her on a hike.

I think we wrote an episode of Big Bang theory

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    making the zombies strong was such a good move

it actually makes sense why they would completely wreck a whole city, rather than making me think that a few rednecks could clean the place up easy

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
    This game really shouldn't still have me this spooked after as much time as I've spent playing it

The zombies being so strong has to be a major component of the anxiety here

For me it's a particular kind of scary, where it's creating procedurally generated "OH SHIT" moments as well as general horror. It's constantly throwing "I'm not ready to deal with that right now!" bullshit at me, rather than necessarily scripted jump scares. Like I think I'm in control and I turn a corner and "aah damn that fuckass zombie moved now I'm penned in how close is the guy behind me can I get this shot or AAAHHH FUCK OFF god dammit".