As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Streaming Services: TV Via A Series Of Tubes

• Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    Aw man, Travelers has been cancelled.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/02/netflix-cancels-travelers-proving-that-our-timeline-has-been-abandoned/

I think I have 1 or 2 episodes left. Gonna be sad finishing those now. I really liked that cast and world.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Dexter is a victim of the fact that TV is rarely capable, from a business standpoint mostly but that bleeds over into the creation process, of executing a limited run story. Something like Dexter only has a few seasons worth of story before the contrivances to keep it going start to fall apart. But the business model demands that you not be like "This is a 2 season show and that's it".

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    At one point Dexter murders a guy who turns out to be innocent, if an asshole. You'd think given his personal narrative about turning his impulses into justice he'd be profoundly shaken by this but his consternation barely lasts the episode before he's back out killing.

Granted that might have just been shitty writing.

Isn’t he meant to be a sociopath? Deep and lasting emotions aren’t really their thing.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Dexter is a victim of the fact that TV is rarely capable, from a business standpoint mostly but that bleeds over into the creation process, of executing a limited run story. Something like Dexter only has a few seasons worth of story before the contrivances to keep it going start to fall apart. But the business model demands that you not be like "This is a 2 season show and that's it".

This is the television I crave! Give me an ending and move onto the next story.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Smurph wrote: »

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/02/netflix-cancels-travelers-proving-that-our-timeline-has-been-abandoned/

I think I have 1 or 2 episodes left. Gonna be sad finishing those now. I really liked that cast and world.
    As a big fan I'm pretty fine with that decision, you'll see why when you finish those last 2 episodes

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

It seems to be mostly an American conceit. The UK has plenty of shows that are like 8 episodes long and then it ends.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

It seems to be mostly an American conceit. The UK has plenty of shows that are like 8 episodes long and then it ends.

It's more a result of their differing funding models.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Dexter went awry at the end of Season 2 and never really recovered for any stretch of time, but the end of season 4 sure was a hard flush down the toilet

It’s an antagonist show convinced it’s an antihero show and the more that became apparent the more the show fell apart around that

I'm not quite sure how you're using the words "antihero" and "antagonist", because Dexter was definitely the protagonist of his show, and he was definitely an antihero. Do you just mean that he was too shitty a person to root for? Because that's fair.

I'd classify it in the same basket as Breaking Bad (charismatic shitty person does shitty things until everything collapses around him), except Breaking Bad was well executed and Dexter was a garbage fire.

Dexter is a bad person; he’s not an antihero the way Patrick Bateman isn’t an antihero but simply the main character. To me (and certainly in terms of prestige television) the term antihero refers to someone who is morally gray—they may sometimes do the right thing, but not out of intrinsic positive qualities. Dexter is not morally gray, he is morally black. The show tries to get around this by for example stacking the deck (sure he’s a serial killer, but hey, he’s better than this serial child molester, right?) but in reality Dexter is not a good person and if you ignore the show’s bullshit framing, he’s the protagonist the way Dracula is the protagonist of Dracula, which is to say he’s not.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular

That's truly a shame but I'm happy with what we got.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »

Pour one out for fun Canadian sci-fi. It never lasts, but at least there's almost always another one around the corner.

Or they can just bring back Lost Girl. That'd be enough for me.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Netflix is doing some sort of series in cooperation with Goop. Yeah, Gwyneth Paltrow's lifestyle brand that's based on woo and bullshit.

Ugh.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »

Yeah I really enjoyed the show. On the bright side, it ended in a perfectly acceptable place.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I wouldn't call it perfectly acceptable:

Travelers ending spoiler:
    Everyone we followed is dead basically.

But it could have been far worse.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    I wouldn't call it perfectly acceptable:

Travelers ending spoiler:
    Everyone we followed is dead basically.

But it could have been far worse.
    My base assumption for all time travel shows is that it will end with the characters resetting the timeline, which essentially kills them all. I appreciate how they actually killed them off making you want them to reset the timeline.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular

Bummer! It got a good ending though

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    I started watching Nightflyers on Netflix, it is not good, but also sometimes it reminds me a little bit of Event Horizon. So I'll keep watching it!

I'm actually liking it, but also because it's very Event Horizon. It's very intense though, not many relaxing points

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

Bummer! It got a good ending though

Guess my getting you hooked worked

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Kingdom continues to be great. I cannot recommend this enough. Way better than Walking Dead. If only because so few characters are forced to hold the idiot ball.

Good action, good intrigue, well written characters.

Character growth is great. I'd like some more love for Seon-bi though.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Rchanen wrote: »
    Kingdom continues to be great. I cannot recommend this enough. Way better than Walking Dead. If only because so few characters are forced to hold the idiot ball.

Good action, good intrigue, well written characters.

Character growth is great. I'd like some more love for Seon-bi though.

Eagerly awaiting the next batch of episodes for it, yeah. It's so nice that even when I know someone's going to get themselves killed that at least they wrote a good reason for it.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    I watched Russian Doll on Netflix. Do I recommend it? Yes! Premise: Girl Keeps dying and returning to her birthday party over and over again. She has to figure out how to get out of the loop. Natasha Lyonne plays Natasha Lyonne(essentially) and does a stellar job of it. Short 8 half hour episode series on Netflix.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Is the premise maybe revealed in the first episode as a surprise? If so, maybe don't blow it for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Is the premise maybe revealed in the first episode as a surprise? If so, maybe don't blow it for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

Its revealed in the first 15 minutes and the premise isn't the heart of the story.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    I enjoyed season 2 of Mrs. Maisel. What problems did people have with it?

• Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    I watched Russian Doll on Netflix. Do I recommend it? Yes! Premise: Girl Keeps dying and returning to her birthday party over and over again. She has to figure out how to get out of the loop. Natasha Lyonne plays Natasha Lyonne(essentially) and does a stellar job of it. Short 8 half hour episode series on Netflix.
    I never got over hating her character--she wasn't meant to be lovable--but I loved the show, really good, do recommend

a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

Isn't that the premise of those Happy Death Day movies?
    Presumably better executed because people here seem to love Russian Doll and I've never seen anything about those movies but the occasional trailer while watching Hulu.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

Presumably better executed because people here seem to love Russian Doll and I've never seen anything about those movies but the occasional trailer while watching Hulu.
    Happy Death Day is pretty good! I’d recommend it, especially as a humorous subversion of a slasher flick.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    Yeah, Happy Death Day was excellent and I can't wait for the sequel.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

I liked Happy Death Day just as much as Russian Doll, but for somewhat different reasons. I'd gladly recommend both.

• Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    So the Expanse is pretty good you guys, and Amazon Prime starts streaming season 3 for free (w/ membership) in like 2 days. Then they start airing season 4 later this year I think.

My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular

It's prominently featured in every trailer for the show.

Also, damn, the trailer just came out like 2 weeks ago and this thing is already out. I feel like Netflix could stand to slow down or maybe give these shows a little more promotional runway. They seem to go from "Oh hey that looks cool, can't wait to watch it!" to "It's been out 3 weeks and like 4 newer cooler things have already come out, so I kinda don't even want to start it right now"

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

Happy Death Day is pretty good! I’d recommend it, especially as a humorous subversion of a slasher flick.

This (and the other posters who commented) is good to hear. The trailers for the second one especially seemed kind of tongue in cheek. I'm not generally down for slasher stuff, so if it's more than just a retread of final destination that's neat.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

This (and the other posters who commented) is good to hear. The trailers for the second one especially seemed kind of tongue in cheek. I'm not generally down for slasher stuff, so if it's more than just a retread of final destination that's neat.
    It really leans into the Groundhog Day-like premise, including name-dropping Groundhog Day at one point. It's definitely not like Final Destination.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Dexter went awry at the end of Season 2 and never really recovered for any stretch of time, but the end of season 4 sure was a hard flush down the toilet

It’s an antagonist show convinced it’s an antihero show and the more that became apparent the more the show fell apart around that

I'm not quite sure how you're using the words "antihero" and "antagonist", because Dexter was definitely the protagonist of his show, and he was definitely an antihero. Do you just mean that he was too shitty a person to root for? Because that's fair.

I'd classify it in the same basket as Breaking Bad (charismatic shitty person does shitty things until everything collapses around him), except Breaking Bad was well executed and Dexter was a garbage fire.

Dexter is a bad person; he’s not an antihero the way Patrick Bateman isn’t an antihero but simply the main character. To me (and certainly in terms of prestige television) the term antihero refers to someone who is morally gray—they may sometimes do the right thing, but not out of intrinsic positive qualities. Dexter is not morally gray, he is morally black. The show tries to get around this by for example stacking the deck (sure he’s a serial killer, but hey, he’s better than this serial child molester, right?) but in reality Dexter is not a good person and if you ignore the show’s bullshit framing, he’s the protagonist the way Dracula is the protagonist of Dracula, which is to say he’s not.

You're using protagonist in a very specific, nonstandard way if you want to frame Dexter as anything but the protagonist. He absolutely is.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

Its revealed in the first 15 minutes and the premise isn't the heart of the story.

I was still 100% blind so I did appreciate the effort Bogart heh.

S'all good tho

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2019
    I feel the premise of Russian Doll has been done enough that it's ceased to be a spoiler and is basically just a subgenre. Keeping it a secret feels like keeping secret the fact that someone is murdering people in a slasher flick.

I mean, maybe you'll be more surprised when Jason pops out of a cake and murders someone for the first time, but that surprise isn't really integral to experiencing the movie.

Also, while "Natasha Lyonne is in a series" is enough to get me on board, a lot of people probably need more of a hook than "there is a party", so it makes sense the premise is included in the trailers.

Anyway, yeah, the show is great and everyone should watch it. Between this and shows like Homecoming and The End of the Fucking World, I really like this trend of "series" that are basically just 4 hour movies metered out in digestible bites. It meshes well with the manner in which I have to watch TV as a guy with a family and little free time.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Boy, I'm glad I recommended Russian Doll in this thread before the premise was revealed in this thread

why do people always have to know what they're getting before they try it, gosh

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Boy, I'm glad I recommended Russian Doll in this thread before the premise was revealed in this thread

We live in a world

Where trailers exist

And our only hope

is

ASTAERETH

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    To be fair the autoplay trailer on Netflix gives the idea away in 15 seconds.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    To be fair the autoplay trailer on Netflix gives the idea away in 15 seconds.

I'm safe from the autoplay trailers because my Wii U is old and busted and it can't handle them.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular

I have limited free time, there is far more content available than I have time to consume.
    gotta have some way to narrow down the field.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
This discussion has been closed.