As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

join us in glorious pod-hood [jobs]

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Man waiting for the train in the cold was bad enough but then a freight train whipped by and was so goddamn cold

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    New bumcicle record of 28.5 celcius. Woo.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Interview over, think I did fairly well. If I could find a way to stop my body from soaking the back of my nice shirt with nervous sweat though that'd be great.

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    My assistant starts full-time tomorrow, woo!

My office has been too quiet today. I put on some Chopin which I thought would be nice and neutral but I selected the wrong album (I was trying to remember what I’d heard on the classical radio station the other day, which would have been perfect) and it just ended up making me feel all melancholy and sad.

Even though I prefer to work in quiet (the same goes at home) I like to not feel alone. My ideal working environment is sharing an office with 2-4 people but we don’t talk much and the music is low.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Got an email to our department about a sketchy email she got. We use to to that years ago but now theirs IT and soon cybersec (who will hopefully be me). I forwarded it to IT and they said "Yeah this is a total scam!". It was an email from TurboTax about a possible issue and wit ha 1-866 number. Employee thought this was a good looking scam and IT agreed. I googled it, and hey thats actually the email address TurboTax uses and hey thats their Security team's email address and hey heres like 4 posts from their community forums and FAQs with TurboTax reps saying those emails are legit and please call ASAP. So I replied to the employee to tell her this just as the Infosec Chief, who is interviewing me next week, came in to talk to my boss, I told him what was up and he was like "Huh interesting what you find when you look" so...I think thats good?

Lady who sent us this said she called TurboTax and they said there was nothing wrong with her account so the email must be fraud. But she did call the phone number in the email and it was really TurboTax.

So according to her someone created a fake email, spoofed TurboTax's customer service email address, and send a scam email with...TurboTax's real security line number in it to gather ????

So really I think shes just trying to save face. Not that I care, and I'm the only one shes emailing. But ugh, users!

• Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Got an email to our department about a sketchy email she got. We use to to that years ago but now theirs IT and soon cybersec (who will hopefully be me). I forwarded it to IT and they said "Yeah this is a total scam!". It was an email from TurboTax about a possible issue and wit ha 1-866 number. Employee thought this was a good looking scam and IT agreed. I googled it, and hey thats actually the email address TurboTax uses and hey thats their Security team's email address and hey heres like 4 posts from their community forums and FAQs with TurboTax reps saying those emails are legit and please call ASAP. So I replied to the employee to tell her this just as the Infosec Chief, who is interviewing me next week, came in to talk to my boss, I told him what was up and he was like "Huh interesting what you find when you look" so...I think thats good?

Lady who sent us this said she called TurboTax and they said there was nothing wrong with her account so the email must be fraud. But she did call the phone number in the email and it was really TurboTax.

So according to her someone created a fake email, spoofed TurboTax's customer service email address, and send a scam email with...TurboTax's real security line number in it to gather ????

So really I think shes just trying to save face. Not that I care, and I'm the only one shes emailing. But ugh, users!

Some nefarious phishing email could contain all legitimate links save one, and somehow make sure that's the one people would most likely click?

I think you're probably right though.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    As scams get better and legit emails get sloppier, they eventually meet in the middle.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    We've had moderate to dense fog continuously for the past 36 hours or so. I've never seen this kind of weather around here.

qcpww30f7vym.png

We get it, Oklahoma. You vape.

Whatever you do, don't go to the supermarket

It's fine if you're Tom Jane.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    I still think it's time for a highlander reboot where the plot revolves around trying to keep the immortals and decapitations secret in our self imposed surveillance society.

Not like it could get that much worse than the others unless like Uwe Boll gets picked as director or something.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Jedoc wrote: »
    We've had moderate to dense fog continuously for the past 36 hours or so. I've never seen this kind of weather around here.

qcpww30f7vym.png

We get it, Oklahoma. You vape.

Whatever you do, don't go to the supermarket

It's fine if you're Tom Jane.

Uhm... I have some bad news for you.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

Yeah, I would say by the end of that film he was... not fine.

Darabont made it so much worse than the original ending.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    worse being worse for the character as a tragedy, not actually a bad ending

that ending was fantastic

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Stephen King came out of that movie saying "fuck, that's it, that's what the ending should have been"

bowen wrote: »
    Darabont made it so much worse than the original ending.

Like, it was ballsy. It's Black Mirror-level awfulness at the end of a wide-release Hollywood film. It just isn't done that way.

I'm trying to think of something worse and I frankly don't want to.

The detail that they don't oversell is
    he had been driving away from rescue for days

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I actually think the original ending works fine for a book. The movie ending was much better for film. And the fact that most of the movie was so true to the book and then that ending came out of nowhere made it really shocking and so much better.

I actually think the original ending works fine for a book. The movie ending was much better for film. And the fact that most of the movie was so true to the book and then that ending came out of nowhere made it really shocking and so much better.

I'd say that's how the film diverged from the norm. In prose, you're much more likely to find horrific endings in short stories than in novels. The same convention carries over to film - short films and episodic one-offs can get away with unhappy endings in a way that feature-length films cannot. I think it's generally related to the amount of time and emotion the reader/viewer has to put in, and that they're more likely to feel betrayed and unhappy with the overall product if they've sunk a lot of time in only to get punched in the balls.

There are exceptions, of course, but I think this holds in general.

Some nefarious phishing email could contain all legitimate links save one, and somehow make sure that's the one people would most likely click?

I think you're probably right though.

No links, just a phone number to call. And like all TurboTax emails the bottom says "Check before you click! TurboTax will never ask you for personal information in an email. When you click on a link, the address should always contain "intuit.com/"

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Sounds too legit. What's their angle?

GDdCWMm.jpg
    Speaking of me trying to get that new position, I just ran into the IT...I guess you'd say supervisor? Hes the senior guy right below the manager of the department and has a special title. Hes really friendly and him and I have had chats a few times in the past and hes always really nice when he sees me.

Except just now...in the bathroom. He didn't say anything and I got a look of what I can only describe as pure contempt. I said hi and he didn't respond, then he turned around and greeted the other guy in the bathroom very warmly and friendly again.

So I think its safe to say I know who my competition for this position is.

Speaking of me trying to get that new position, I just ran into the IT...I guess you'd say supervisor? Hes the senior guy right below the manager of the department and has a special title. Hes really friendly and him and I have had chats a few times in the past and hes always really nice when he sees me.

Except just now...in the bathroom. He didn't say anything and I got a look of what I can only describe as pure contempt. I said hi and he didn't respond, then he turned around and greeted the other guy in the bathroom very warmly and friendly again.

So I think its safe to say I know who my competition for this position is.

So... because he knows you're competition... he hates you now?

Guy's a dick! Hope you win!

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    The bathroom is really the wrong place for drastic mood swings.

euj90n71sojo.png
    David_T wrote: »
    The bathroom is really the wrong place for drastic mood swings.

And scowl-at-former-friend-then-seamlessly-smile-at-another is like 1980's John Hughes film villain behavior. It has no place in functioning society.

Too much happens in the bathroom here.

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    There is a certain minimum that needs to happen in the bathroom, though.

• KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Too much happens in the bathroom here.

Go on...

The best place to yell at colleagues is in the shower. Specifically your shower, at home, when they're not there.

• N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    As scams get better and legit emails get sloppier, they eventually meet in the middle.

This is 100% why I never click through an email like that ever. I always go to the site and sign in and then pursue because you just can't tell based on quality of email presentation anymore.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Bad stuff happens in the bathroom
    I'm just glad that it happens in a vacuum

• Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Bad stuff happens in the bathroom
    I'm just glad that it happens in a vacuum

Vacuum you say? Let me assure you there is nothing glad to be about the interaction of a vacuum with a bathroom and what goes on within it. I’ve seen what happens when a Roomba enters combat against poop... it’s not good...

7drf92vc09q2.png

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Hey, so it looks like I'm guaranteed funding of one form or another for an internship in Japan! So I'll be working there this summer!!!

Suuuper excited!

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    I also wouldn’t discount Craigslist. I had better luck with getting responses through Craigslist than Indeed and both @Moriveth and I got our current jobs through Craigslist!

Edit: We both found more businesses advertising directly through CL, whereas Indeed is more of a base for recruiters.

I will give craigslist a try. I've been kind of avoiding it because years ago during a job search someone tried to scam me. It was very frustrating.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    The best place to yell at colleagues is in the shower. Specifically your shower, at home, when they're not there.

What about their shower, in their home, when they didn't know I was there?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Also fine, provided you rinse the soap.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    use
    Me

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Hurrah! Work has been postponed by two hours! Thanks, unexpected ice storm!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    use
    Me

okay, now we have a containment breach for real this time

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I think my soda drinking has finally caught up to me. Pretty sure I'm dealing with gout right now. The area around my big toe's joint has been in some pretty extreme pain. I can't bend my foot up.

I really need to get a job so I can have insurance and find out for sure.

Craigslist has some pretty promising job openings so I'm starting to feel kind of hopeful again with this job search.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
This discussion has been closed.