As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Valkyria Chronicles] You Got Your RPG in my World War 2 - VC4 on PC Sept 25!

1202122232426»

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I haven't played for a couple weeks, but I finally loaded my save an an Extra Story unlocked out of nowhere.
    OMFG SQUAD 7, ISARA YAY!
    Edit - Ouch, the voice actor changes.

Henroid on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I have a very bad feeling about Chapter 16 all of a sudden.
    "Choose a unit to deploy with Raz." I DON'T WANT TO, THIS SHIT SOUNDS OMINOUS.
    Edit -
    YEP THIS IS BAD. Everyone I place there is saying something on the deployment screen and I don't like this ONE BIT.

Henroid on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Edit -
    YEP THIS IS BAD. Everyone I place there is saying something on the deployment screen and I don't like this ONE BIT.

Yeah, I'd trust your instincts on that one.
    Semi-spoiler on that mission:
    I'd advise picking someone you either don't like or someone who feels thematically appropriate, depending on how invested you want to be in this on gameplay/story balance.

Bigger spoiler for much later after that mission (seriously finish the game first):
    You can get them back through the incredible healing power of lots of money, but only post-main story.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    klemming wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Edit -

Yeah, I'd trust your instincts on that one.
    Semi-spoiler on that mission:
    I'd advise picking someone you either don't like or someone who feels thematically appropriate, depending on how invested you want to be in this on gameplay/story balance.

Bigger spoiler for much later after that mission (seriously finish the game first):
    You can get them back through the incredible healing power of lots of money, but only post-main story.
    I sent Zaiga in with him. It... seemed right.

Shut up I'm not crying you are.

• Options
    Okay so, taking a break now that I know how Chapter 17 battle 1 (what I assume to be) works.
    Crazy girl ran up, did some ineffectual crap, ran out under an arch. Then I blew the arch up and it crushed her.

... then she came back after the enemy's next turn. Fucking welp. I hate dealing with the crazy girls. Even for bosses their defenses are touch too high.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    VC4 Ch 14-15:
    Man, what a pair of back-to-back garbage missions. Ended up getting so frustrated that I went to 8-1 to farm some XP/money. It's super easy and can be completed in 4 turns with Dan + anyone (just drive to the base, kill a dude, and unload). Then I upgraded my Snipers to get the Penetration order to allow my Shocktrooper 2-3 shot the Vulcan.

As for 15-part 2, I followed Kyorisu's walkthrough to finish the level:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejjXw56rvnU

Boy you gotta be right on the money with some of those positions to set up your next turn. Like ending Dan in the proper place so your units deploy on the right side is critical.

Not much left to do though, and I hope the missions don't get much worse or I might just youtube the end. Hate to do that though being so close and all.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    VC4 complete! My thoughts (end game spoilers obviously):
    • Thank goodness Raz got killed. I know that sounds harsh, but I did not like his character at all. Arrogant, brash, womanizing asshole that probably in reality would have gotten a lot of people killed. He went out like a hero, hooray! As long as he went out. Didn't care for, or believe, his turn of heart and maturity phase. I'm sure a lot of people would disagree with me here, but that character really rubbed me the wrong way.
    • Grenadiers are a great addition, but they feel like they make Lancers pointless. Except for a few niche cases, I almost never used Lancers. I really liked Lancers in VC1 and it was sad watching them mostly sit on the sidelines.
    • The twin girls were way too obnoxious to fight in the maps they showed up in. Dodged basically every single attack.
    • The end game maps, say from 14 on, were all grindy and unfun. Which is odd considering the missions prior felt fun and unique.
    • Game could have been 3-4 chapters shorter, especially after the ceasefire. Just went on a bit too long for my liking. I think I just Youtubed how to beat the last couple of maps in 1-2 turns just to finish the game. I can't even imagine trying to finish them the legit way.
    • These next two issues were also present in VC1: lack of troop diversity and limited map info to start.
    • I'm given all the soldiers to play with, but am basically forced to use the main characters for their CP. Great, my squad is always Claude, Kai, Raz, Riley, and Minerva (and a lot of the time, Dan) at minimum. They also cover just about every unit type. Didn't feel diverse enough. The "assign a squad leader" option was nice, but limited to only 1 troop. It would have been neat to have more and slowly replace the main characters, but would have broken gameplay.
    • And why is the map set-up so limited? You get a brief overview, but don't see the map until you start. Should I put Kai here? I mean, I guess? A lot of times, I just started a map with Claude so I could see the map and determine which soldiers to take and place. Having a limited field-of-view map to give you an idea would have been a nice addition.

While most of that spoiler was negative, I do want to mention that I did enjoy the game overall and was glad we got more VC. It was nice to play the series again after so long, but I don't feel like they altered the formula enough. Scouts and Orders feel way too strong and sort of narrow down the tactics. I'd like to see another game in the series with some big alterations to the gameplay to make it feel fresh.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I finished VC4 this weekend myself and overall liked the game. My opinions are behind the spoiler.
    Gah! MNC Dover you and I are no longer friends. Just kidding. Funny enough I've been around a few military guys to say that Raz is normal for them. Especially grunts. They act the same, brash, braggart, womanizer, arrogant, and cruel. But in reality they are caring, respect women, and protective of those they are around. Exactly like Raz so probably why I understood him and liked him. But yeah they are not for everyone.

I agree with a the rest of your points. Especially the map layout. I forgot that from VC1 and actually put characters I the wrong locations on two maps.

Ducking still pisses me off. Nothing more annoying than tossing a grenade and the enemy ducking and having it do no damage. At least I didn't have any duck the flamethrower.

Also I never used the second tank you get. Sort of wish they made a map forcing you to use it.

I ended up putting my leader CP on an Engineer to have one with the standard group.

Also man the story was more depressing than the first. At the end I felt shocked. Especially if they killed Riley. Even after watching the Epilogue I am still not sure if she lived...

Dover, did you play VC2? That was a bit different than 1 or 4. Could also play their grand experiment of Valkyria Revolution (I wouldn't).

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote: »
    I finished VC4 this weekend myself and overall liked the game. My opinions are behind the spoiler.
    Gah! MNC Dover you and I are no longer friends. Just kidding. Funny enough I've been around a few military guys to say that Raz is normal for them. Especially grunts. They act the same, brash, braggart, womanizer, arrogant, and cruel. But in reality they are caring, respect women, and protective of those they are around. Exactly like Raz so probably why I understood him and liked him. But yeah they are not for everyone.

I agree with a the rest of your points. Especially the map layout. I forgot that from VC1 and actually put characters I the wrong locations on two maps.

Ducking still pisses me off. Nothing more annoying than tossing a grenade and the enemy ducking and having it do no damage. At least I didn't have any duck the flamethrower.

Also I never used the second tank you get. Sort of wish they made a map forcing you to use it.

I ended up putting my leader CP on an Engineer to have one with the standard group.

Also man the story was more depressing than the first. At the end I felt shocked. Especially if they killed Riley. Even after watching the Epilogue I am still not sure if she lived...

Dover, did you play VC2? That was a bit different than 1 or 4. Could also play their grand experiment of Valkyria Revolution (I wouldn't).

I never did play VC2 or 3 since I never owned a PSP or lived in Japan. Disappointing too because I really was on the VC1 hype train only to see it get completely derailed with the PSP exclusive announcement. I'm surprised they haven't bundled 2 and/or 3 for a US release. Probably would have done so already if they felt it was worth the money.

And yeah, on your points (VC1 spoilers):
    For Raz, it was just the "CHARGE!" attitude and constant disregard for orders. It's a game so you can sort of forget it, but that shit wouldn't fly in a real military where lives are on the line. Then again, I've never served so maybe I'm wrong.

Ducking is weird in how it reduces damage. Maybe just increase evasion or something instead? Nothing a flame thrower or grenade typically couldn't fix.

LOL, second tank indeed. I used him the one time he was auto-included as reinforcements. Ended up not even bothering to upgrade him after a while. A shame really, but kind of in-line with how so many soldiers get underused.

The ending was ambiguous wasn't it? I really enjoyed the ending of VC1 with Welkin and Alicia retiring, getting married, and having a kid. While a bit cookie-cutter, it also felt natural. Neither wanted to be a soldier and found happiness after a while.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    In a way you were spared the weirdness of VC2. Although I do still wish they released them for some system (or even PC) just for the complete experience. Yeah the PSP exclusive really hurt the series, especially the limitations of the system leading to some weird maps (battles were sometimes on two maps, which reminded me of Pac Man).
    Ahh, yeah the Raz the Reckless. Yeah that did get annoying in the beginning of the game. In the end though I left him behind for the most part and actually charged more with Kai than him. HAHAHAHAHA.

Yeah I forgot about that mission where you actually use him to stand there. Think I ended up using Lancers over him even then.

You just reminded me of another thing that annoyed me in the game. Squad E was filled with people who wanted to be there. WHY THE HECK DID PEOPLE SIGN UP WHO ARE PACIFISTS!!!! I understood that in VC1 where they were volunteers, but not for those who actually went to war. Or am I mistaken and once again this was filled with volunteers and those who enlisted?

This reminds me that I still need to push through Valkyria Revolution and finish that game.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Since I recently bought a Switch I've thought about playing VC1 since it was released there, how much do I have to de-learn with regards to the combat of VC4 outside of grenadier apparently not being a thing?

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    VC4 end spoilers:
    Raz started off as a right-o super dip. But he did eventually grow and smarten up, even if it took its sweet time getting there.

I also really liked his final moments. From his "I know what you need to order me to do, so do it already!", to that unbeliveably badass cutscene of him just walking off the ship into the storm in dead silence.

They could have easily played the entire scenario as him not wanting to die, or being defiant to the end, and it would have sucked. Him being 100% accepting of the task though was great.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Since I recently bought a Switch I've thought about playing VC1 since it was released there, how much do I have to de-learn with regards to the combat of VC4 outside of grenadier apparently not being a thing?

The biggest difference aside from no grenadiers is you also don’t have the transport, and you don’t have a lot of the most useful orders from VC4.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Yeah, no transport, and no leader commands (so you can't attach two troops to your scout and run them clean across the map). So working out where and how you want to move your non-scouts is more important.
    Also, no ship orders, since no ship.

The biggest difference to the things you actually have is your tank using 2 action points to move. It can still be worth it (mobile cover for your troops, killing tanks, and almost impenetrable interception fire on the enemy's turn), but you'll probably be leaving it at base camp unless there's a definite need for it elsewhere.

(That said, once you get smoke rounds, they can break some encounters in your favour)

klemming on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Yeah, no transport, and no leader commands (so you can't attach two troops to your scout and run them clean across the map). So working out where and how you want to move your non-scouts is more important.
    Also, no ship orders, since no ship.

The biggest difference to the things you actually have is your tank using 2 action points to move. It can still be worth it (mobile cover for your troops, killing tanks, and almost impenetrable interception fire on the enemy's turn), but you'll probably be leaving it at base camp unless there's a definite need for it elsewhere.

(That said, once you get smoke rounds, they can break some encounters in your favour)

Move... non scouts?

Scouts in VC1 are OP as hell once they promote, the grenade launcher is just dumb.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    There are occasions (rare occasions, I'll grant you) when people who aren't scouts need to do something.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    There are occasions (rare occasions, I'll grant you) when people who aren't scouts need to do something.

Ah man, just when I thought I'd already heard the craziest thing in comes @klemming

Why don't you go and nail that to a door somewhere.

:razz:

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Yes, this is usually "fire the smoke rounds" or "shoot the objective with explosives".

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    I used Shocktroopers way more in VC4 than I did in VC1.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Yeah. The increase to enemy reaction fire damage and mortars meant my team usage was a bit more balanced.

Also the Command ability really relieves a lot of the non-Scouts mobility issues.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    MagicalGoatsMagicalGoats Registered User regular
    Finally reaching the wonderful Chapter 16 choice, I'm beginning to think Forseti might have had the right idea.
    I lost almost all respect for Claude when he found out about the Enola Gay situation, and said "Well, we can't let this whole thing have been for nothing"
    Dude, you know what the bomb is. Switch tactics to just carpet bombing Schwarzgrad, killing the emperor, or something. Leena should've been losing her shit at you considering her rant at Kai earlier.

There is no aspect, no facet, no moment of life, that cannot be improved with pizza.
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    maybe kai had good intentions in mind but his methods were absolutely monstrous? Abusing your sister's trust to lead her into betraying everyone she fought alongside and putting her life at risk multiple times without ever telling her anything about why and how you were doing things until half of your grand plan had already gone to shit and siding with the people who were already doing horrible experiments on Valkyria to turn them into a different kind of living weapon doesn't strike me as any better

Whoops didn't realize i use quoted instead of spoiler, sorry

Orphane on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    So I got gifted #1. I guess I will have to figure out how to play this, now.

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    So I got gifted #1. I guess I will have to figure out how to play this, now.

I think 1 does a somewhat ok job of teaching you how to play the game. My only advice is to not obsess with getting an A the first time you play a level. If you are that type of player. I mean I think it is possible, but it is much easier to go back and do it with an overpowered character.

oosik_betsuni.png