As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Xbox/XBL] Crackdown 3 is out! And not delayed again!

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Tried Apex Legends for about two hours last night. Not sure I’m the target market. It seems like you should start with at least a basic weapon, and the character options just seemed really ...limited? and not very good looking. I mean, technical standpoint they looked great but none of them were very attractive.

Yes I want to play as someone who looks good. I’m shallow.

Also, I got to level six or so and hadn’t actually managed to kill a single other player. A lot of that was “I finally got a gun! How does it perform? I have no clue and I only have twenty bullets so I can’t actually just go randomly shooting them off!”

I think I’d be more likely to give it a more of a shot if there was a way to practice running around the environment and shooting at things.

So you're saying it fails in the digital waifu/husbando category? When I could be playing my kickass long-legged busty camo-wearing commando in Fortnite with her hilarious Kpop dance routine?

*sighs, crosses another one off the list*

Finally I meet someone who really gets me.

You (also) have my axe.

Also, even if you can find love in the handful of characters on offer, you can easily be locked out of playing them. There's a timed countdown at the beginning of the match where all three members of your squad get to pick a character, and you do this in random order. So if you get the #3 slot, you have to hope that neither of the first two people chose your favorite.

That's just cruel.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Hopefully that Astroneer xbox didn't land on something... D:

I finally watched the segment....that Xbox Astroneer is so cute it hurts.

Hey! If you're like me, and watched the year's first Inside Xbox two hours after everyone else because you forgot to set an alert on the Mixer app on your phone, here's everything that was announced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YISTzpLXCY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m4i4KGXhUc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfyZ631VXxI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-DtGibCdeA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrrWvJsieAc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynB-SjMJsP8

Despite Funhaus' resident shounen anime lover/DBFZ player James Willem's insistence that it will be crap, I'm only getting more and more intrigued by Jump Force.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    There was a new lady on Inside Xbox who was quite good and had what I thought would be the raddest name of the night, Kate Yaeger.

Then 343's Kiki Wolfkill took the stage...

Yeah, I'm starting to notice something of a pattern with these executive names.

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Woo I actually successfully waited on shadow of the tomb raider, I've bought so so many games then not ended up playing them and then watched as they went for free on gold. Proud of myself for waiting this time

I bought Shadow of the Tomb Raider two weeks ago, so this was bound to happen.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    Prohass wrote: »
    Woo I actually successfully waited on shadow of the tomb raider, I've bought so so many games then not ended up playing them and then watched as they went for free on gold. Proud of myself for waiting this time

I bought Shadow of the Tomb Raider two weeks ago, so this was bound to happen.

Thank you for your service, solider

edited February 2019
    SotTR really has had the weirdest (read in part: fastest) arc in this regard. Big discounts even prior to release, even bigger ones just a couple of weeks after release and still bigger ones since, and now hitting GP. It's still not six months old. And (this part is important) it's actually a good game.

I think it just got buried under all the other stuff in its market sector (AAA etc or whatever you'd call it), and that became clearer to Squeenix after the release date got set in stone. Hopefully the lesson gets through, don't overload September/October. Release your stuff elsewhere in the year. Even TR'13 came out in like March, and this is one aspect of the video games market that hasn't changed. If your game is so much as a step below the Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed level (of hugeness or name recognition, obviously not quality) but is still competing in that space, do not go head to head with them. Give yourself some space.

Anyway, SotTR is a good game and it's worth a play.

Jazz on
    I absolutely think Shadow of the Tomb Raider is better than its predecessor. Comparing it to Tomb Raider 2013 is difficult because that is, fundamentally, an Xbox 360 game (as well as having the best overall story of the three games).

Anyway, here's a weird question: anyone ever gotten an Xbox One controller to work with Xbox 360? That would be a big help in my DOA2U unlocking efforts--I'm guessing it involves sketchy USB dongles that may or may not work though.

edited February 2019
    I absolutely think Shadow of the Tomb Raider is better than its predecessor. Comparing it to Tomb Raider 2013 is difficult because that is, fundamentally, an Xbox 360 game (as well as having the best overall story of the three games).

Anyway, here's a weird question: anyone ever gotten an Xbox One controller to work with Xbox 360? That would be a big help in my DOA2U unlocking efforts--I'm guessing it involves sketchy USB dongles that may or may not work though.

Would they work through that wireless instruments adapter that came with Rock Band 4 on the Xbox One? It may be a USB dongle, but without the sketchiness.

Edit: wait, my bad, misread the question, that's the other way around.

Also, TR'13 is absolutely breathtaking on the 360. It looks good on the Xbox One (although I was not fond of Lara's new face - telling how it was dropped for the sequels), and on PC (where she still had her old face), but to see the 360 - already eight-year-old hardware by that point - manage to pull that game off so well was and still is pretty amazing, I think.

Jazz on
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Crackdown 1 is free for everyone to celebrate #3 coming out this month: https://majornelson.com/2019/02/06/crackdown-is-now-available-for-free/

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Crackdown 1 is free for everyone to celebrate #3 coming out this month: https://majornelson.com/2019/02/06/crackdown-is-now-available-for-free/

Weird that Crackdown 2 is still not Back Compat.

Taramoor wrote: »

Probably because nobody cares lol

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

Probably because nobody cares lol

I initially bought a 360 because of Crackdown 2 :cry:

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    Crackdown blew me away when I first played it. Primarily because I had never played an open-world sandbox game before (GTA IV was my first GTA - late to the party, I know), but also because I had zero expectations going in.

Crackdown 2 was such a mediocre game, I damn near loathed it because my otherwise lukewarm feelings to it were such a sharp contrast to how much I loved the first one.

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
    It had some ideas, like the wingsuit and some cool melee combat with weapons... But the map being a copy/paste with zombies def killed any innovation they introduced.

Also they killed the dope Transformer cars

Crackdown was a game I had to learn to accept on its own terms. Try to go into it like a GTA style game and it just doesn't work, despite looking like it should. But when I broke the habit of not playing for cheevos - never really my thing - it clicked and I had a blast with it.

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    It had some ideas, like the wingsuit and some cool melee combat with weapons... But the map being a copy/paste with zombies def killed any innovation they introduced.

I guess it helped going into Crackdown 2 blind, then. Like I said, I hadn't even touched a 360 until I played Crackdown 2, so I didn't notice a copy/paste job with the map or anything. Just that the wingsuit was awesome, driving was silly fun, and zombie hordes are fun to smash around.

EDIT - oh, and orbs. gotta get them all!

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Crackdown 3 looks to be the best Crackdown game since Saint’s Row 4.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »

I guess it helped going into Crackdown 2 blind, then. Like I said, I hadn't even touched a 360 until I played Crackdown 2, so I didn't notice a copy/paste job with the map or anything. Just that the wingsuit was awesome, driving was silly fun, and zombie hordes are fun to smash around.

EDIT - oh, and orbs. gotta get them all!

Crackdown 2 was fun, and the game giving the zombies teeth because you wrecked them hardcore was amusing.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    also, somebody at Kotaku really doesn't like Inside Xbox, possibly because it's the filler between major content dumps, direct from the souce :P

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    It could definitely stand to be shorter. It feels like they just cram in everything they can possibly get their hands on into an episode, regardless of pacing or interest.

If they would be slightly more choosy with what they show and tighten up the segments, it'd be a much better show.

• baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    I really wasn't the target audience for this episode of Inside Xbox - after it was over, I had to google Terry Crews to find out who he was, and it turns out that I've seen three movies with him in them and can't remember his character in any of them - but it was OK. It really seems like a show they put on to say, look, we are still serious about this whole video game business, we are super sorry that we implied that the reason to buy an Xbox is to keep track of your fantasy basketball league.

The Metro Exodus trailer was trippy in a good way. Could not care less about Jump Force or Sea of Thieves. Adaptive controller ad is just manipulative and evil and damnit I have dust in my eyes again. Gamepass continues to get some pretty good stuff. Would have liked some more back compat announcements but meh.

Terry Crews will always be President Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho to me, first and foremost.

also, somebody at Kotaku really doesn't like Inside Xbox, possibly because it's the filler between major content dumps, direct from the souce :P

Someone at Kotaku doesn't like Xbox? I am shocked beyond words! Beyond. Words!

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Probably.

Also, Forza Apex was a thing, though considering all future Forza releases will likely come to Windows 10 as well, probably no more free-to-play PC version.

that was just a demo of 6 for PC for turn10 to get their bearings.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I really wasn't the target audience for this episode of Inside Xbox - after it was over, I had to google Terry Crews to find out who he was, and it turns out that I've seen three movies with him in them and can't remember his character in any of them - but it was OK. It really seems like a show they put on to say, look, we are still serious about this whole video game business, we are super sorry that we implied that the reason to buy an Xbox is to keep track of your fantasy basketball league.

The Metro Exodus trailer was trippy in a good way. Could not care less about Jump Force or Sea of Thieves. Adaptive controller ad is just manipulative and evil and damnit I have dust in my eyes again. Gamepass continues to get some pretty good stuff. Would have liked some more back compat announcements but meh.

Have you never heard of Old Spice's Body Odor Blocker (That Blocks BO For Up To Sixteen Hours)?

Have you never heard of Old Spice's Body Odor Blocker (That Blocks BO For Up To Sixteen Hours)?

I am a kinda sad media hermit. Like, we have rabbit ears so my wife can watch the New Year’s Eve special every year, but the last time I actually watched live television was when a bunch of asshats were flying planes into buildings in New York. Sometimes I will be in an airport or at the barber and there will be televisions everywhere and I will see a commercial and finally get the joke that everyone has been making for months.

Also today I learned that Old Spice is still a thing somehow.

So yourself a favour and watch Brooklyn 99

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

I am a kinda sad media hermit. Like, we have rabbit ears so my wife can watch the New Year’s Eve special every year, but the last time I actually watched live television was when a bunch of asshats were flying planes into buildings in New York. Sometimes I will be in an airport or at the barber and there will be televisions everywhere and I will see a commercial and finally get the joke that everyone has been making for months.

Old Spice has decided to position themselves as competitors to AXE.

Hardtarget wrote: »

I tried! It’s not on Netflix or Amazon Prime though and Hulu has ads.

Having actually read the Kotaku article now, I've come to the conclusion that two things are accepted as fundamental truths:

1) Practically everything Nintendo does is awesome, ergo, the Directs are awesome--and if you're some sort of cretin who is more interested in other Nintendo franchises that aren't Smash Brothers, you should be sterilized to avoid spreading your opinion further and sucking up more precious internet bandwidth.

2) Terry Crews sucks and is boring. As are anyone who talks about Xbox or Halo.

With those in mind, I must agree: Inside Xbox is definitely terrible to the point of warranting and article about how terrible it is. I'm considering adding to the thread title, "...but don't watch it, because Kotaku says it sucks." But even I think that's a little too on-the-nose.

[Xbox/XBL] Don't watch Inside Xbox--watch the last Nintendo Direct again instead!

Stepping away from my cynical suspicion at internet cultural cache and street cred, like Kotaku, I think it's very easy for someone to be totally unfamiliar with someone like Terry Crews, even at what is probably at or close to "peak memetic fame" by a combination of personal charisma and smart distribution.

Internet fame is weird like this. Returning to the other point--I don't know the lead developer behind, for example, Smash Brothers, even though I have zero doubt that he or someone next to him has an internet cult of personality to him to the point where he probably has a part-time security detail. He has hundreds of thousands of people worldwide who will follow his every word. I only know about Hideo Kojima because I've played the last several of his good (and mediocre) video games, and have watched his personality cult develop over the last decade, at least, as an auteur. I know who Guillermo Del Toro is, but for the life of me I cannot figure out why the internet worships the ground he walks on, when even his most adamant fans have to concede some of what he's produced (like a certain sequel) is kind of shit. I wouldn't recognize him if I saw a photo of him (I think I get him and George R. R. Martin confused).

I think Terry Crews occupies a similar space. When we're inundated with media as we are, even nationally rather than globally, 99% of the players aren't Tom Cruise or Christian Bale or Chow Yun Fat (he is famous, you shut the fuck up, you philistine). They aren't going to be household names like that. Terry Crews occupies that space, where he could be beloved to the point of worship, and a total unknown otherwise. Considering how well Pacific Rim did in Taiwan, I'm pretty sure that's 23 million people who if you mentioned Guillermo Del Toro they'd ask, "Wait, who?" It's not like some 300 million Americans known who Mamoru Oshii is, and Dreamworks just put Scarlett Johansson in an adaptation of a movie he made.

This is an interesting mental exercise to me. Think of whom, among media personalities, you would consider household names. Unless you're limiting yourself to Tom Hanks or Jesus of Nazareth, some portion of them are probably completely unknown among an audience of tens of millions, or more, who do have televisions and computers and do consume media. It's a very big world, and we've flooded limited time with seemingly limitless media.

And I really, really like Brooklyn 99--I just haven't watched it regularly since it stopped airing on Sunday evenings. Tuesday evenings I do something else.

Bummer, it's on Netflix Canada

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png

Dammit, now I wish I was leaching off a Netflix Canada account.

I better go steal the show some other way.

if you have a netflix account it'll work in any country you are in and just show you that local country, so if you were to say VPN to canada, you'd have access to Canadian netflix

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png

if you have a netflix account it'll work in any country you are in and just show you that local country, so if you were to say VPN to canada, you'd have access to Canadian netflix

Intriguing, but I'm not sure how I'd do that on Xbox. I almost never watch Neflix on PC (well, my Surface Pro when connected to my bedroom PC).

• SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

Also in Denmark, I’m watching it right now.

S1E3 - The Slump.

Sirialis on

Stepping away from my cynical suspicion at internet cultural cache and street cred, like Kotaku, I think it's very easy for someone to be totally unfamiliar with someone like Terry Crews, even at what is probably at or close to "peak memetic fame" by a combination of personal charisma and smart distribution.

Internet fame is weird like this. Returning to the other point--I don't know the lead developer behind, for example, Smash Brothers, even though I have zero doubt that he or someone next to him has an internet cult of personality to him to the point where he probably has a part-time security detail. He has hundreds of thousands of people worldwide who will follow his every word. I only know about Hideo Kojima because I've played the last several of his good (and mediocre) video games, and have watched his personality cult develop over the last decade, at least, as an auteur. I know who Guillermo Del Toro is, but for the life of me I cannot figure out why the internet worships the ground he walks on, when even his most adamant fans have to concede some of what he's produced (like a certain sequel) is kind of shit. I wouldn't recognize him if I saw a photo of him (I think I get him and George R. R. Martin confused).

I think Terry Crews occupies a similar space. When we're inundated with media as we are, even nationally rather than globally, 99% of the players aren't Tom Cruise or Christian Bale or Chow Yun Fat (he is famous, you shut the fuck up, you philistine). They aren't going to be household names like that. Terry Crews occupies that space, where he could be beloved to the point of worship, and a total unknown otherwise. Considering how well Pacific Rim did in Taiwan, I'm pretty sure that's 23 million people who if you mentioned Guillermo Del Toro they'd ask, "Wait, who?" It's not like some 300 million Americans known who Mamoru Oshii is, and Dreamworks just put Scarlett Johansson in an adaptation of a movie he made.

This is an interesting mental exercise to me. Think of whom, among media personalities, you would consider household names. Unless you're limiting yourself to Tom Hanks or Jesus of Nazareth, some portion of them are probably completely unknown among an audience of tens of millions, or more, who do have televisions and computers and do consume media. It's a very big world, and we've flooded limited time with seemingly limitless media.

And I really, really like Brooklyn 99--I just haven't watched it regularly since it stopped airing on Sunday evenings. Tuesday evenings I do something else.

See, I know who Chow Yun Fat is, and I know Christian Bale from the Batman movies, and I knew that Del Toro was the Hellboy guy but I didn't realize he'd directed Pacific Rim as well.

But I am super clueless in general. I was a big Babylon 5 fan back in its heyday, and went to a B5 convention in Los Angeles at one point. While I was roaming the halls waiting for a panel to start, I see this guy wearing a B5 hat that I didn't recognize - it wasn't standard merch, obviously it was a custom job - so I went up to him and said something along the lines of "hey, cool hat" and the guy thanked me.

So when I got into the panel and Cool Hat Guy walked up on stage and got introduced as the creator of the show, it was a little embarrassing.