As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Anthem] Early Access is live. Please mark spoilers. God speed, Freelancers.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I do wonder how the level scaling stuff will work.

One big issue I had with Destiny was I took a long break compared to my brothers who played nonstop. Then when I hopped back on my gear was so behind that I was just a burden to them and that wasn't fun for anyone.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    Bring on the guilds! Is it too early for this? Naaaaaaaaaaah

If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    ugh, this is going to have time limited content isn't it?

I know that's the standard these days, but I despise it. Sucks the fun out of the game.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I do wonder how the level scaling stuff will work.

One big issue I had with Destiny was I took a long break compared to my brothers who played nonstop. Then when I hopped back on my gear was so behind that I was just a burden to them and that wasn't fun for anyone.

They have said there is scaling for everyone. So I believe in theory your friend can join you at a lower level and do stuff with you and not just blow it all away, or you can join them and not be just a body.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »

That's certainly how they're framing Cataclysms, that they are short-term Endgame events resulting in dramatic changes to the gameworld.

However, if Cataclysms are the sort of quasi-Raid experience within Anthem, chances are they are things that recur (akin to Warframe's current Event system).

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular

I know that's the standard these days, but I despise it. Sucks the fun out of the game.

I like it myself, particularly in the MonHun World variety--time limited events which return on rotating schedules, then all at once twice a year for several weeks.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Awesome that they're sharing the roadmap. Some of it looks great. Some of it looks like stuff that I would expect to be in at release, and instead it's being released to fanfare, like an update rather than adding missing from launch content. (Guilds, the fixed progression system, one of the two dungeons they had to pull back because they weren't ready.)

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I mean...honestly I know there are folks who are gonna no life this and reach the endgame in like 2 weeks...but I dunno by the month or so the 4th stronghold comes out I'll probably still be doing the other 3 so it doesn't sound terrible to me.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I mean...honestly I know there are folks who are gonna no life this and reach the endgame in like 2 weeks...but I dunno by the month or so the 4th stronghold comes out I'll probably still be doing the other 3 so it doesn't sound terrible to me.

And I'd rather not have unfinished or broken content in release.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Yeah this is being sold in the "Games as a service" vein so as long as the core gameplay is appealing, there's enough content at release, and the planned additional content looks appealing, I think that's good enough for me.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    I was just thinking about ME3MP vs MEAMP...one of my problems was that I thought ME3MP spread content out way better than MEAMP did. Like you were able to max out a lot of stuff in ME3MP by the time the next expansion was due.

While in MEAMP they frontloaded a lot of stuff for the grind monsters and honestly all that did was overwhelm a lot of the more average players.

So I guess I look at it differently.

That said Anthem doesn't have bars like ME3MP does so its a bit different.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »

That's certainly how they're framing Cataclysms, that they are short-term Endgame events resulting in dramatic changes to the gameworld.

However, if Cataclysms are the sort of quasi-Raid experience within Anthem, chances are they are things that recur (akin to Warframe's current Event system).

Rotating events ala Warframe I'm okay with, as long as they're reasonably long compared to how much effort it is to get the most out of them, and return frequently.

I'm over things like Destiny 2 and Battlefield V's "seasons". I have other things to do.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    dporowski wrote: »
    dporowski wrote: »
    It’ll hinge on early impressions. People run through story content FAST these days, and are super vocal.

If the content is exhausted too fast or there’s some significant server issues, people will absolutely crow about it, and that will have an impact.

I’m already seeing a not insignificant reaction online of people waiting out the first month to see how those issues pan out. 6 weeks to make 5-6 million sales when the online consensus already seems to be ‘wait 2/3 if that time to decide’ could be bad.

People will whinge about literally anything. Complain about anything. There's been people right here who hope this game fails because either they don't like EA, or it's not the game THEY wanted BioWare to make, and thus they must be taught a lesson. I bet there's a face that won't animate perfectly. Oh, and there's nothing to fuck, can't forget that. Burn it all down!

I'm going to play a game, have fun, and hope that the internet hate machine doesn't ruin yet another thing I enjoy.

Uh... okay.

I’m not referring to people saying EA needs to die, or Anthem for whatever reason.

But the two betas they did caused enough concern for there to be a general ‘wait a bit and see’ attitude. Coupled with EAs huge numbers in just 6 weeks expectation, I was just mentioning it hinging on the concerns from those betas.

Hate has nothing to do with it. Games are pricey these days and often launch with issues (particularly online games) and people get more hesitant to buy on day 1. The Anthem betas gave actual cause for concern, at least to people on PC.

Maybe it's me. Betas have issues, demos have issues; I never figure a preview product will be an accurate representation of anything except the rough strokes of gameplay. I don't even think about balance issues, numbers, etc. The idea of playing "wait and see" based on technical issues in a demo build based off a known old branch of code seems... Weird to me.

Not buying a game day 1 that gave you multiple issues in a beta/demo, to me, seems entirely normal.

You’ve got actual reason to expect it to not work as intended rather than going in blind.

And the idea that you need to buy the new shiny game on day 1 seems weird to me.

I have been burned a lot more by buying a game day 1 than I have by starting it a couple of weeks after launch.

And I winder how they're going to count Origin subs into their "units sold" figure?

I hadn't planned on pre-ordering the game and was going to wait a month or so, but my BestBuy Gamer's club thing expires at the end of the month, so I decided to go ahead and pre-order it so I could still get the discount.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »
    Yeah this is being sold in the "Games as a service" vein so as long as the core gameplay is appealing, there's enough content at release, and the planned additional content looks appealing, I think that's good enough for me.

And it would be fine to me as well... if they weren't charging full price up front.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    After looking at @asofyeun 's pictures of his javelins mentioned on page 72 of this thread, I was looking at the GunPla I was building, and I only needed to add a few guns:
    0e40b340ahth.jpg
    (left picture shamelessly copied from asofyeun's album gallery.

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    That image on the right reminds me of Emil's head, and now I want there to be an AnthemxNier crossover event so we can get a Emil helmet variant.

Thanks a lot

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Dac wrote: »

And it would be fine to me as well... if they weren't charging full price up front.

Sure, it's a call you have to make if you think the base stuff looks worth it. Preordering is still betting on the post launch content being worth it. It may or may not be, we'll see! Fortunately, all of this post launch content is included in the asking price so at the very least it's not full price + more like many games do.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    If there is no Blood Dragon Armor vinyl available at release, Bioware has goofed big.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    I'm fine with time-limited events as long as they don't completely gate unique gear/customizations behind them. If I miss something really cool because I just so happened to be out of town on work for a week, and it either won't come back or won't come back for like 9 months, then that fucking blows.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    I really want to play this at launch, but also fear a bit for the bugs and lack of content. I think I might use Sekiro (Which comes out in March as well) to tide me over in the meantime!

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Colossus gets a flame thrower, heavy guns, a launcher and shitloads of explosions?

*opens mouths and starts drooling like Homer*

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Simpsonia wrote: »
    Since everyone loves #FashionJavelin I figured I'd post this here. Guy goes through some of the more advanced skins and color options that will be available for a few of the javelins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN7pIroJBe8

That first Storm set looks a whole lot like Excalibur Umbra from Warframe.

TQPxMFal.jpg

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular

The problem is it’s EA. They’ve set very high sales expectations, which Biowares previous games would have struggled to hit without the negativity this game has around it. What happened when Andromeda failed to meet expectations? Planned DLC was dropped.

Releasing with unfinished content or just lacking in content isn’t going to be pleasant if it doesn’t meet sales targets and EA pulls the majority of the funding to support it as a game as a service.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    I mean...umm...the game is gonna still have a main story along with the endgame stuff.

I dunno I try to steer clear of how much content actually makes a game worth its price because it is completely arbitrary for most people.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Colossus gets a flame thrower, heavy guns, a launcher and shitloads of explosions?

Downside: Gets a pain in the butt shield that takes some getting used to or you get kinda wrecked.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    That image on the right reminds me of Emil's head, and now I want there to be an AnthemxNier crossover event so we can get a Emil helmet variant.

Thanks a lot

Haro ! Haro !

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Downside: Gets a pain in the butt shield that takes some getting used to or you get kinda wrecked.

This is the tricky thing they get a really strong shield but unlike the others it is more active use and you have to plan it a bit. That said colossus also appear to get some really really high durability improving colossus specific modules so I think any squishyness is probably an early game issue only.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    If there is no Blood Dragon Armor vinyl available at release, Bioware has goofed big.

Yep, that will honestly tell me something about just how Bioware this game actually is.

Also I will pay actual money for an N7 vinyl.

• Options
    edited February 2019

The problem is it’s EA. They’ve set very high sales expectations, which Biowares previous games would have struggled to hit without the negativity this game has around it.

This isn't accurate; Dragon age inquisition sold over 6 million copies.

spool32 on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I think I might start with Chonky Boi as my first javelin to make sure I get basic drops for it so I can unlock crafting for those.

Also I ended up liking it. I guess that's a reason too.

• Options
    spool32 wrote: »

Yep, that will honestly tell me something about just how Bioware this game actually is.

Well we know there is an n7 vinyl. Haven't heard of a dragons age one yet, probably come later.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    Damnit I am going to buy an N7 vinyl then booooooo

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »

Well we know there is an n7 vinyl. Haven't heard of a dragons age one yet, probably come later.

I have zero doubt they will add dragon age vinyls if they don't already have them at launch. Its a low hanging customization fruit that is pretty no brainer.

• Options
    Everyone really wants that Jade Empire skin...

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I'm fine with time-limited events as long as they don't completely gate unique gear/customizations behind them. If I miss something really cool because I just so happened to be out of town on work for a week, and it either won't come back or won't come back for like 9 months, then that fucking blows.

I feel the opposite, but provided you have the Warframe model where there's so much stuff all the time that you're not missing something amazing that you need. Instead it's more of a gotta catch em all thing. Just throw a new vinyl at us every couple weeks for doing that event, so it feels special to get one.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    The last post was the primer. This one triggered it.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    This is going to be one of those games where you can't choose a name and only your network tag is visible, isn't it?

Its a shame. Really want to go with something like "Beef" or "Slab" since I'm going to try to go in hard on Colossus.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    GorkGork Registered User regular
    My tag already has, “smash” in it.

Guess which javelin I’m starting with.

Guess.

• Options

another way Guild Wars 2 has done this exactly right: You give the content away for free if people are playing during the release weeks, and then for $2 per episode if you missed some and want to catch up.

• Options
    I wonder if we'll eventually get different melee weapons + mods for them.

This discussion has been closed.