As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Assassin's Creed

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I get that they are trying to do a mea culpa but the fact that they made the kid such a big part of the DLC story means they literally cannot fix a lot of people's issues with it without re-writing a chunk of Episode 2 and everything they did for 3

The choice to say "Oh, I am gay I just had this baby for utilitarian reasons" still A) forces you to have a kid and B) means your gay character still fucked a member of the opposite sex, for romantic reasons or not

They fucked up on a fundamental level and there's no real way to fix it

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    if only there were some sort of close blood relation to you that could've been the focus of this instead.

Or like two lines of dialogue at the beginning of the game that says the animus doesn't need you to be a blood descendent anymore.

if only

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    https://www.eurogamer.es/articles/fun-and-serious-2018-entrevista-con-melissa-maccoubrey

Google translate translation of an interview with the narrative director of Odyssey.
    I think there are a few reasons, although unfortunately I'm not the best person to answer. The thing is that you do not always have the same teams working in ... people ... (doubt). The brand, I mean, the brand team usually takes care of what is happening in the present because they are also involved in comics, novels and so on, so somehow all this may be beyond the control of the developers. That's why I think it's easier for those developers to lean towards the historical aspects, because you know with more certainty what you're doing in each moment.

And I think that the part of the present is something that makes Assassin's Creed very special, it's a narrative framework that other games do not have, and it would be interesting to see how it evolves, if it does, and how that present in the games and the one that They narrate the rest of the media collide in a single great universe. Basically we have to think about it in this way because we are not only making games, but we are introducing elements in a universe that already exists; We are constantly expanding this huge world and, well, yesterday I said in the talk that just having in mind everything that already exists can be complicated. You know, like Hitler and Churchill being templars, something that someone dropped at some point, during some point of the development of some game and suddenly it's like "ok, ok, we have to take this into account".

OK, but what if they just completely dropped things like the whole Hitler and Churchill being Templars thing because it was kind of terrible?

• Options
    Ubisoft issued further comments confirming that they will not be re-writing or changing any content with Episode 2 of the DLC, but will be changing the name of the Achievement you recieve after the baby is born.

That last part is

Good

But, again, they fucked up by making having a baby be a 100% unavoidable decision and because it is so ingrained in that DLC plotline, there is nothing they can really do to salvage it

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Does anyone know what the deal with the project stream free copy is? Last I heard they were supposed to be given out yesterday?

edit: nevermind, we get it in 2 weeks.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    If they were dead set on "we need a descendant," they have access to fucking crazy future/ancient magic tech, that would...I dunno, I think the ancient alien people could probably come up with the concept of a turkey baster if you needed them to have one. It's not like Odyssey shies away from the magic ancient bullshit stuff, you can use it to add weird wrinkles to your world that are unique to this franchise while also keeping their promise to not force stories like this on players, especially given that players can, are encouraged to, play these characters with specific sexualities in mind. And also, I'm pretty sure they made canonical changes to the animus specifically so they didn't have to worry about maintaining bloodlines for the sake of the story, so it's an incredibly weird choice to center a major piece of DLC around the idea of bloodlines, again

I'm not...terribly surprised that they've forced players into specific choices in the DLC, though, especially if they gave this assignment to a team that didn't have much to do with the base game. Odyssey had a lot of interesting moments that hinged on player choice, but it definitely felt like they had a specific ending that they would have liked to use, and some of the other endings felt much weaker from a narrative standpoint. Which makes sense, given that they've done so many games in this series where the story goes through one specific path, with characters following predetermined stories.

I'm also not surprised they aren't reworking the actual DLC for part two. I don't know what the process would be to fix it, and I'd imagine they're far enough in to part three and beyond that making any significant changes would be prohibitively expensive. It's great that they're changing the trophy/achievement name, even if it does feel like the absolute least they should do here. It's a huge misstep, and it's just...fucked up on a conceptual level. They're right that they fucked up making it clear what your choice actually was, especially given that your choice doesn't fundamentally change much of what follows. I don't know that they understand that the core concept of that choice is still fucked up.

Their follow up apology is better than the first. I don't really know if there's a way to...fix this, though.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    A nice touch: when I got the last piece of the Serpent set, they all leveled up to the level of the Kosmos cultist I just killed to get it, 23. I was able to put it on and use it without having to go to the blacksmith and spending a bunch of money.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    captaink wrote: »
    A nice touch: when I got the last piece of the Serpent set, they all leveled up to the level of the Kosmos cultist I just killed to get it, 23. I was able to put it on and use it without having to go to the blacksmith and spending a bunch of money.

Yeah that happens when you complete any of the sets, which is a nice touch.

Also, I'm in the middle of Chapter 7 and a couple of things have happened that rely on choices I made waaaaaay long ago so its cool to see some of my decisions actually having consequences going forward, though in the wake of the DLC stuff... yeah...

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Or they could just not bring it up at all because Kassandra

Endgame
    Is immortal and lives for 2500 more years so who cares if she has a descendant she doesn't need one she is literally there in person.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I honestly think this is one of those cases where there wasn't a non-straight or non-binary person in the writing room. They just didn't even consider that it would go against how some people think of their main. The whole bloodline excuse seems ad hoc to cover up for the fact that they read the character wrong, they wrote a story using their own interpretation of the character, instead of looking at how broader players saw them.

The dlc is made by a seperate smaller team, and I think they just kind of had a bit of a heteronormative echo chamber going on and didn't think it through. Apologising is good, but I can also see why they're not going to go back and redo it or anything. They fucked up but it's kind of too late, it's dissapointing but I just hope they learn from this mistake going forward

Prohass on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Side Quest called "Secrets of the First Pyramids":
    Excuse me, guy, did I just hear you correctly? You hired a bunch of bandits led by someone named Belloch to help you search for an artifact in the desert and they betrayed you?

shocking

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Uh ok, another side quest in the same area, "Gift from the Gods":
    which is apparently a tie-in that I didn't know about in advance

what

this is a very strange part of the game

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    So they're planning on changing the DLC ending after all the backlash, as well as that one trophy/achievement name.

Glad I didn't do the dlc yet, I'll wait until they patch the changes.

• Options
    https://youtu.be/9IupDCUCFK4

AC 3 Remastered is out March 29th, 40 dollars or free with the ACO Season Pass. Includes all DLC for AC3 as well as AC: Liberation Remastered.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I am very much looking forward to that

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    The fact that its $40 alone makes the season pass for Odyssey a great deal

• Options
    The Origins season pass is finally on sale on PS4 but now I'm so far into Odyssey I don't think I'll ever go back to Origins.

• Options
    The Origins season pass is finally on sale on PS4 but now I'm so far into Odyssey I don't think I'll ever go back to Origins.

The Hidden Ones was a great little epilogue for the game. The Curse of the Pharaohs had some amazing vistas in it but I wasn't a huge fan of the boss fights.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    The Curse of the Pharaohs had some of my favorite game visuals ever

Some real What Dreams May Come shit

The gameplay was whatever, but dang, was it gorgeous

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    Turns out the Final Fantasy crossover quest in Origins was removed Dec 2018.... at a time after I could have done it, but before I was interested in it. Whoops.

• Options
    mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    Just started origins after finishing odyssey. It’s only been slightly jarring. I’m enjoying Bayek so far. Seems to be a lot of mounted fighting from what I’ve seen. Not a huge fan of it, but the game is still good.

XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Perrsun wrote: »
    Turns out the Final Fantasy crossover quest in Origins was removed Dec 2018.... at a time after I could have done it, but before I was interested in it. Whoops.

Whaaat? That's too bad, it was a cool puzzle to figure out and it was absolutely hilarious when it triggers a pre-rendered cutscene with some anime-ass anime boys fighting all anime-style for like, two minutes without any context or explanation.

EDIT: I did a quick Google and apparently the Assassin's Creed mission stuff in FFXV was removed in January 2018, but the FFXV stuff in Assassin's Creed was not?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Hell yeah baby it's assassin creed rumor season
    a 4chan wrote:
    - No new AC game in 2019. This year is Watch_Dogs 3.
    - Watch dogs 3 will be set in London
    - Focus more on smaller firearms and knives for combat with a larger emphasis on hacking
    - New Character. Can choose male or female (like Far Cry 5), but same story.

- Next Assassins Creed is codenamed Legion in 2020 on current and next gen
    - Set in Italy at the end of reign of Marcus Aurelius (guy from Gladiator) and during the struggles of his son Commodus and the year of 5 emperors
    - Play as Cassius or Lucia, a descendent of characters from Origins and Odyssey
    - Unclear which is canon, but like odyssey features choices and heavy RPG elements and same story for both characters.
    - Made by Sofia to tie up some loose ends for the “Ancient Trilogy” and currently is more first civ intensive than other game.
    - Main story is more involved in assassins and politics with first civ and flashbacks to other points in Rome history being secondary. Ubi wants to make it feel more like assassins creed while feeling like Odyssey to make old and new fans happy
    - Map is mainland Italy and small part of Gaul and Germania like Libya in Origins
    - Revised mercenary and cultist system. Big cultists and main story assassinations have those memory things

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Year of the Five Emperors is a good era of the Roman Empire to hit. Commodus, Pertinax, and Julianus were all assassinated, and Pescennius Niger and Clodius Albinus were both executed after a military defeat, which is still a good setup.

• Options
    Origins was like 50-40 bc right? When is this game set relative to that?

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Quick Google search says 193AD

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Ok, so Aya is definitely in it then

:(

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Is there a breakdown of which studio is primarily responsible for which AC games? I understand Syndicate and Odyssey were the same group.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Where was Christianity at that time? Were the emperors Christian by then?

captaink on
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular

That's bad? I thought people liked Aya.

• Options

That's bad? I thought people liked Aya.

(It's sarcasm because no way is Aya in this because it's 200 years later and I wanted an Origins follow up that was about her)

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Where was Christianity at that time? Were the emperors Christian by then?

"Persecution of Christians is believed to have increased during [Marcus Aruelius's] reign" (wiki)

signs point to 'no'

Tamin on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    193 is the Year of the Five Emperors, yeah.

Marcus Aurelius died in 180, and his son Commodus took the throne. Marcus Aurelius is generally considered to be the last of the Five Good Emperors, a term coined by Machiavelli, and the last emperor of the Pax Romana, a period of peace and stability for the Roman Empire.

Commodus was named co-ruler in 177, and succeeded his father after his father's death. This is unusual, for the record - a direct line of succession like this hadn't happened in a century (Titus/Vespasian). Commodus was born during his father's reign (also very unusual) and had a more privileged upbringing than usual for a Roman Emperor as a result. He was a tyrant who set up his own personal hero cult, envisioning himself as a reincarnation of Hercules (many statues of him are dressed in the lion skin, in fact) and competing in rigged gladiatorial games. The final straw though was probably when he tried to rename Rome after himself, along with its legions and citizens.

He was killed by his personal trainer, Narcissus, who strangled him to death in the bath. After his death the senate proclaimed him an enemy of the state.

That all happened on New Year's Eve in 192, to lead directly into the Year of the Five Emperors, which was essentially just one big messy civil war.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Tamin wrote: »
    Is there a breakdown of which studio is primarily responsible for which AC games? I understand Syndicate and Odyssey were the same group.

d1qutz7rvpqpj7zdmymz.jpg

I suspect 2020 would be a ubisoft sofia joint

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Next gen, eh?

• Options
    Next gen, eh?
    Yeah new consoles are being very heavily speculated for next year

It is looking very likely

I imagine Legion would be a Black Flag style job where both versions are the same, the next gen is just prettier

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    Hell yeah baby it's assassin creed rumor season
    a 4chan wrote:
    - No new AC game in 2019. This year is Watch_Dogs 3.
    - Watch dogs 3 will be set in London
    - Focus more on smaller firearms and knives for combat with a larger emphasis on hacking
    - New Character. Can choose male or female (like Far Cry 5), but same story.

- Next Assassins Creed is codenamed Legion in 2020 on current and next gen
    - Set in Italy at the end of reign of Marcus Aurelius (guy from Gladiator) and during the struggles of his son Commodus and the year of 5 emperors
    - Play as Cassius or Lucia, a descendent of characters from Origins and Odyssey
    - Unclear which is canon, but like odyssey features choices and heavy RPG elements and same story for both characters.
    - Made by Sofia to tie up some loose ends for the “Ancient Trilogy” and currently is more first civ intensive than other game.
    - Main story is more involved in assassins and politics with first civ and flashbacks to other points in Rome history being secondary. Ubi wants to make it feel more like assassins creed while feeling like Odyssey to make old and new fans happy
    - Map is mainland Italy and small part of Gaul and Germania like Libya in Origins
    - Revised mercenary and cultist system. Big cultists and main story assassinations have those memory things

I am pleased by all of this.

I'd prefer, like, no firearms in Watch Dogs 3, but I'll at least be a lot happier with less of a focus on combat.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I played WD2 with just the ball and chain, taser and maybe one of the rubber bullet guns from time to time

I don't think the game itself made much mechanical distinction if a guy was dead or just incapacitated, but it made me personally feel a little better

• Options
    edited February 2019
    patch notes that made me giggle and / or I was glad to see
    - Hephaestus declares players will no longer be lit on fire by candles or when lighting braziers in tombs.
    - The tier of the perks available on a Lieutenant obtained from Ubisoft Club and the Store will now scale based on the player level.
    - Invisible mercenaries will no longer be easy to track when activating the Multi-Shot ability. Say that again, but slowly.
    - Patrols will no longer grab corpses that were made invisible with the Death Veil ability. (I may have personally encountered this, but not for sure)

is anyone having good luck getting to the S4 rank? I got to the middle of S3 pretty fast, but I've been running about for quite a while now, making a nuisance of myself at forts and such, and it hasn't generated one above that point. I've seen several right below me.

Tamin on
  • Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    On Xbox, AC Odyssey Gold Edition (game + season pass) is currently $33, which is cheaper than the season pass itself.

So for $33 you get Odyssey, HD 3, and HD Liberation.

I’d be all over it if I didn’t get the game on PC already.