As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We're all just doing our best for our [Kids]

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    lonelyahava I didn't recognize you for like two days because of the avatar change.

Ooops! Sorry! I needed a change closer to reality.

It's not a bad one, is it?

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    lonelyahava I didn't recognize you for like two days because of the avatar change.

I think it's great!

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular

Nope, not a thing wrong with it. There's just some forumers whos' names I don't even process anymore. You see the avatar go by out of the corner of your eye and know who it is.

Then one day they change it and you engage them in a discussion for an hour and a half without even realizing who the heck you're talking to.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I got my haircut this weekend after letting it go farther than I normally would, and it took my daughter a couple of minutes to accept that it was still me.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Brody wrote: »
    I got my haircut this weekend after letting it go farther than I normally would, and it took my daughter a couple of minutes to accept that it was still me.

This reminds me that watching videos of toddlers fliping their shit when they see their parent and their parent's twin sibling together for the first time, that's totally my jam.

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    I kind of want to shave my beard soon but I'm not at all looking forward to my son's reaction, especially the introduction of stubble.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    The one time I shaved completely in my daughters' lives I was told that I looked like someone else's daddy and that I looked funny. Totally worth it.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Lose the kids, then our identities. But one thing I know for a fact. Moustache stays right where it's at.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Anya's been watching me play Kingdom Hearts. The other day, this exchange occured.

Anya: Wow, this game is BANANAS hard.
    Me: What does that mean?
    Anya: Well... if an grownup were saying it, it'd be 'fucking' hard.

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Last night, putting C to bed, he asks "daddy, what if we run out of money".

Uh. I have no idea where that's coming from. Sometimes he worries about things that I'd never expect a 5 year old to think of.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Anya's been watching me play Kingdom Hearts. The other day, this exchange occured.

Anya: Wow, this game is BANANAS hard.
    Me: What does that mean?
    Anya: Well... if an grownup were saying it, it'd be 'fucking' hard.

this is amaaaaaaaazing

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Oh yeah, C had his first week of real school. And he loved it! He was sad on Saturday when he couldn't go again.

However this week he has been given an option to try out 2 musical instruments. And he could not be dissuaded from the drums.

Uh oh.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    Man if my kid wanted to play drums I'd be super pleased. 'Excuse me dear wife, but now I have a legitimate excuse to spend lots of money and devote a room to musical instruments.'

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    My son wants to play the guitar. He has for like a year and a half and he still does, so I'm thinking about getting him one. I also want to learn to play, and I have one that I adore, so I'm thinking maybe I can get him one at some point soon and we can take lessons together.

I kept thinking he'd forget about it, but if he's going to keep talking about it maybe we can rent one for a month or something to see how it goes.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Luke did the guitar for a year or so but stopped when the kid he was getting lessons from went to college. We hadn't invested too much into it, although I've been tempted to try to learn since we still have the guitar we bought and Rocksmith on the PC.

Side note: we saved money by finding a high school kid on Craigslist who was doing guitar lessons as a way to save for college.

• Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    Consumer reports just came out with somewhat alarming findings about levels of heavy metals in juice and juice marketed towards children:

https://www.consumerreports.org/food-safety/arsenic-and-lead-are-in-your-fruit-juice-what-you-need-to-know/

I would download a car.
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    lazegamer wrote: »
    Consumer reports just came out with somewhat alarming findings about levels of heavy metals in juice and juice marketed towards children:

https://www.consumerreports.org/food-safety/arsenic-and-lead-are-in-your-fruit-juice-what-you-need-to-know/

Tell me that's illegal please?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    kime wrote: »

Tell me that's illegal please?

Not really, or at least not yet. From the article they have yet to finalize rules on inorganic arsenic in juice and don't have proposals for cadmium.

There was a link from the article to a letter that consumer reports sent to the FDA about their findings, asking them to apply strict regulations on heavy metals in juice:

http://article.images.consumerreports.org/prod/content/dam/CRO Images 2019/Health/01January/Consumer Reports Letter to FDA on Heavy Metals in Juices 1-30-19

lazegamer on
    I would download a car.
  • Options
    Hey look at all those brands I’m sure I’ve bought at least a few times /vomit

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Fortunately we don't do that much juice or juice boxes in our house. Looks like we won't do any going forward.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    The only juice we buy for the kids, when we buy them some (which is very not often) is Honest, so we're good at least.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Also, that article reads as way more alarmist than it probably is.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yeah we give our son cranberry juice with water and it wasn't on their alarmist chart so woo safe.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Elbasunu wrote: »

Why? This isn't really my area of expertise, so curious what about it I should be skeptical about to educate myself :)

Steam profile
  • Options
    kime wrote: »

Why? This isn't really my area of expertise, so curious what about it I should be skeptical about to educate myself :)

Any major food health article is always highly suspect, because food health is a HUGE industry that generates a lot of site traffic. I don't think I have any beef with Consumer Reports in general, but almost everything in that article is based on research from their own in house scientist, and isn't corroborated in a meaningful way. There's also a lot of statements in there that kind of gloss over everyday exposure to make it sound like we're all minutes from dying:

"Though the risks of heavy metals from any one source may be low, when people are exposed to even small amounts from multiple sources, over time the danger multiplies." This is true, but it's also not informative in any way. Only alarmist.

I'm not saying not to be concerned, but I also don't think you need to go dump out your welches. The real take away, I think, is limit juice for children under 1, which most kids under 1 aren't drinking much of anyway.

I'm also biased again food scare articles. "Halogen lightbulbs are killing our kids!" is all based on some daily mail scare piece from like 2001, but it gets reposted in my timeline every day.

• Options
    I agree that their findings should be corroborated (even though consumer reports has integrity), but I don't think that the article was alarmist. They don't tell people to go dump out their welches, but advise limiting consumption and point out the brands that have higher than industry standard levels.

Children up to three years old are particularly susceptible to permanent damage caused by heavy metal concentrations in their blood. It's also worth reiterating that there aren't any established 'safe' levels of lead exposure in children, just how much we're willing to accept.

I would download a car.
  • Options
    Yeah the fact that it was all in-house was the main problem that I noticed. I didn't have time to read it too closely, but it seemed like the skipped over the other environmental heavy metals because it wasn't the main point; they went into looking at just the juice was it enough to be harmful. With the answer being "yes due to the various heavy metals combined, even though any individual heavy metal from just the juices may not (probably) have too big an impact"

It's not like we give ours juice now anyways, just water/milk 99.5% of the time, but it's good to know about these for the future :)

Steam profile
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    I agree that their findings should be corroborated (even though consumer reports has integrity), but I don't think that the article was alarmist. They don't tell people to go dump out their welches, but advise limiting consumption and point out the brands that have higher than industry standard levels.

Children up to three years old are particularly susceptible to permanent damage caused by heavy metal concentrations in their blood. It's also worth reiterating that there aren't any established 'safe' levels of lead exposure in children, just how much we're willing to accept.

When you say something like "In some cases, drinking just 4 ounces a day—or half a cup—is enough to raise concern" you're effectively trying to scare parents into stopping giving kids juice on even a semi-regular basis. A juicebox is 4-6oz alone.

Elbasunu on
  • Options

When you say something like "In some cases, drinking just 4 ounces a day—or half a cup—is enough to raise concern" you're effectively trying to scare parents into stopping giving kids juice on even a semi-regular basis. A juicebox is 4-6oz alone.

If the data and conclusions are correct, it's not really "scaring" parents into doing something, is it? Any more than like, "if you don't use a car seat you're putting your child in danger" is scaring parents into using a car seat. Which may technically be true, but is also framing it in a really uncharitable and disingenuous way.

Obviously, big caveat on that first phrase :P

Steam profile
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    I am so frustrated right now at how schools are set up in my city. After-school is a hodge-podge mess of nonsense that depends on individual schools coming up with partnerships and plans, and there is no consistency. Most do not even offer after-school, or if they do, it's only until, like 5p.m. (which our astute reader may realize is the normal time many people get off of work, so you either need to change your schedule or hire a babysitter for the time until you can get home.)
    Also, many programs that offer after-school care for kids younger than Kindergarten are regulated separately, so many places do not even offer it for Prek students. So the city is making it harder for after-school providers to provide care for younger students.
    I desperately want to enroll my son in the city's new 3k program (preK for 3 year olds) since I would be saving money paying for just after-school care rather than daycare. But.. almost no schools are offering 3K (many offer K-5, and a few offer PreK, but 3K is new). And of the ones that are, only one is offering after-school care in our district. The district next to us has a few that offer, but they prioritize their own district's students, there are not that many programs, and it is far enough away to make the commute kind of crazy with a 3 year old.
    Ugh. Come on, people work. The Stay-at-home parent is not the norm anymore, and parents need child-care. I just don't see how this can be OK in this day and age.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    We feel very lucky that our school district has a really good prek program starting at 3 years old. Organizing child care is a godawful pain in the ass.

@MulysaSempronius I would check with your public library. Some of them actually do after-school stuff for kids. Transportation can be the problem, of course. Our library is 1 block from the school and does after school stuff until 5:30 two days a week. Obviously YMMV. Check on the public website for your school, your city's parks & rec department, city hall, community centers, etc. Some of them may offer or link to after-school/youth programs that can at least help with a day or two per week.

• Options
    Hey look at all those brands I’m sure I’ve bought at least a few times /vomit

Let me tell you about macaroni and cheese

Also chocolate

Get used to a world where you see this stuff in everything, because chances are it's not in the fruit, it's in the water.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    The problem with most programs is that you need different licensing for k-5 than for 3k and Pre-K. Looks like the libraries here are only grades 1-2. Parks and rec are ages 6-13.. etc. Even the commercial places are k-5.
    Not that your ideas aren't helpful, I'm just frustrated with the overregulation that leaves these gaps in care. I looked a lot when his sister started PreK
    Most people have to hire babysitters, and that's a whole other can of worms..

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    So, it's been relatively cold here in the PNW, and my wife is usually a little cold anyways, and likes to cover her lap with blankets. Sapling Jas recently decided that she needs to pull everything off the couch, including blankets, regardless of whether or not her mother is using it. This weekend, I was wearing shorts, and wanted to cover up with the blanket, and when Sapling came for it, I convinced her it was my blanket. Now she's started stealing it from her mom to bring it me, and I don't even really want it. Its really funny (for me at least).

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    Oh sorry to backtrack to music but if you want to get involved but the rent/purchase/storage on a musical instrument is too much, consider voice training. Also, choirs are possibly marginally easier to find and participate in than full bands.
    This is advice from someone who hasn't lived it, by the way. But as someone who's on and off been involved in music for a long time, the fact that I still can't sing worth a damn hurts me on the inside. And if cashflow is poor, although you still have to spring for lessons at least you're not looking at buying a $2000 saxophone or similar.

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • Options
    That's not a bad idea. I'm not sure it would replace guitar for either of us at the moment, but he could probably use some confidence in that area in general.

• Options
    The problem with most programs is that you need different licensing for k-5 than for 3k and Pre-K. Looks like the libraries here are only grades 1-2. Parks and rec are ages 6-13.. etc. Even the commercial places are k-5.
    Not that your ideas aren't helpful, I'm just frustrated with the overregulation that leaves these gaps in care. I looked a lot when his sister started PreK
    Most people have to hire babysitters, and that's a whole other can of worms..

I guess you’re expected to take yourself out of the labor pool for 5-6 years and then wonder why there’s a gender wage gap? :confused:

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Monkey and Link seem to have very different feelings about their current predicament.

ny437rrdroc0.jpg

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Ellie got her booster shot for chicken pox today.

She did so good. Didn't even cry or flinch or anything.

And we have hey first gymnastics class tomorrow.

She growing up so much.

• Options
    Today after I got him from school my son and I brought some clothes for donation to my doctor's office, and he and I were the recipients of quite a long attempt at conversion that was very obviously and specifically targeted at Jews. I assume that's because of the kippah and tzitzit that are part of my son's uniform. No one else there got this, just us.

Like come on dude, this kid is 5, he's already bored out of his skull, and this is a pretty garbage thing to do right now! I didn't want to be rude in front of the person I can barely get to say thank you, and I tried to be very firm about the fact that we are very Jewish, that is not changing, and the guy asks me if I've read my own book and know what it says. Get the fuck out of here, guy.

So when we got back the car I had to tell him the same thing I heard when I was his age.

This discussion has been closed.