As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

podcast thread

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    hey mr. g what are some of your fave reply alls? who are your alls

@Theodore Floosevelt

#40: The Flower Child
    Ripoff Report is one of the original complaint websites. It’s basically the work of one person, a man whom the internet describes as a kind of mythical villain, a Keyser Söze who wields power from behind his janky website. Reply All producer Sruthi Pinnamaneni visits his bunker.

#53: In the Desert
    Strangers keep coming to Mike and Christina’s house looking for their stolen cell phones. Nobody knows why. We travel to Atlanta to find out what’s going on, in our thorniest Super Tech Support yet.

#56: Zardulu
    The rats are not what they seem.

#68: Vampire Rules
    It’s an old story. Two people date, they break up, they both go on Tinder. And on Tinder, one of them stumbles across an incredibly creepy photo, taken inside the apartment they used to share.

#76: Lost in a Cab
    Liz lost her camera in a cab, so she went to the New York City Taxi website to submit it to their lost and found database. At least, that's what she thought she did. Alex investigates and finds a big business behind the success of a suspicious little website.

#79: Boy in Photo
    Who was Wayne?

#83: Voyage Into Pizzagate
    A conspiracy theory, a pizza related map, and a website fighting for its very soul.

#104: The Case of the Phantom Caller
    A woman in New Jersey is getting strange phone calls to her office from unknown numbers. Every time she picks up, she finds herself eavesdropping on the life of a different stranger. Unsure what else to do, she calls in Super Tech Support.

#130: The Snapchat Thief
    This week, a new Super Tech Support: after Lizzie's Snapchat gets hacked, things start getting really creepy. Alex investigates.

but really it's a show with a remarkable hitrate, I'd say about a solid 90% of the episodes are worth listening to, I actually just finished the entire archive today

6F32U1X.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Brad: Also Apex apparently scrapes a bunch of data off of your PC
    Will Smith: ... like what games you have installed?
    Brad: I didn't dig too deep into the article...

I know it's gauche to rag on Brad these days, but for fucks sake Brad, maybe actually READ the news for the news segment you host? Especially if you're going to make a statement like that?

• existexist Registered User regular
    I remember neither the piece of content nor the context but I did love when Rorie called someone out on that recently: "Did you read beyond the headline?"

UmPiq.png
    are y'all aware of the impending release of Ben Hosley: The Movie
    MV5BMTY3MDUzMTAzOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDk3ODQyNzM@._V1_.jpg

6F32U1X.png
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Harmony Korine is so... Exhausting.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    i cannot abide a reply all list without long distance 1 and 2.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    hey mr. g what are some of your fave reply alls? who are your alls

@Theodore Floosevelt

#40: The Flower Child
    Ripoff Report is one of the original complaint websites. It’s basically the work of one person, a man whom the internet describes as a kind of mythical villain, a Keyser Söze who wields power from behind his janky website. Reply All producer Sruthi Pinnamaneni visits his bunker.

#53: In the Desert
    Strangers keep coming to Mike and Christina’s house looking for their stolen cell phones. Nobody knows why. We travel to Atlanta to find out what’s going on, in our thorniest Super Tech Support yet.

#56: Zardulu
    The rats are not what they seem.

#68: Vampire Rules
    It’s an old story. Two people date, they break up, they both go on Tinder. And on Tinder, one of them stumbles across an incredibly creepy photo, taken inside the apartment they used to share.

#76: Lost in a Cab
    Liz lost her camera in a cab, so she went to the New York City Taxi website to submit it to their lost and found database. At least, that's what she thought she did. Alex investigates and finds a big business behind the success of a suspicious little website.

#79: Boy in Photo
    Who was Wayne?

#83: Voyage Into Pizzagate
    A conspiracy theory, a pizza related map, and a website fighting for its very soul.

#104: The Case of the Phantom Caller
    A woman in New Jersey is getting strange phone calls to her office from unknown numbers. Every time she picks up, she finds herself eavesdropping on the life of a different stranger. Unsure what else to do, she calls in Super Tech Support.

#130: The Snapchat Thief
    This week, a new Super Tech Support: after Lizzie's Snapchat gets hacked, things start getting really creepy. Alex investigates.

but really it's a show with a remarkable hitrate, I'd say about a solid 90% of the episodes are worth listening to, I actually just finished the entire archive today

Phantom Caller was brilliant. So creepy

I also loved Long Distance and The Bitcoin Hunter. I'm still working my way through the archive, it's a lot, and so far I think I've only had one episode I didn't get interested in.

• jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    Oh hell yes this weeks punch up the jam is gonna be a great one.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I'm so happy for Sailor Business that they're almost done with SuperS

I like it more than they do but it's easily the worst season and Stars is SO much better

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    i fell off sailor business at some point and need to catch up

I didnt even know jordan had a baby!

and named him Darien!

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I keep trying to come up with sign off music for this thing Moriveth and I recorded

But flstudio mobile is complicated and I'm not that good at music.

Someone just like give me ideas on some notes to use /chord progression of something?

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Can’t go wrong with c g a f

I didnt knowni needed Griffin Newman and Miel interactions until this exact moment

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Miel go on blank check

• replacewythyreplacewythy Registered User regular
    No argument has ever made more sense to me than "Come On Eileen is good, like getting the appetizer sampler platter at applebees"

Tube wrote: »

This works pretty good actually! At least for a super simple little silly jingle.

I made one of the synths sound like a phaser too so that's fun.

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

I spent way longer than I'd like trying to figure out what this was an acronym for before realizing it's chords

cdci44qazyo3.gif

I spent way longer than I'd like trying to figure out what this was an acronym for before realizing it's chords

Can't Get A Fuck

Can't Get A Fuck

Hey, this is me

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Castigating Goats and Fowl

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
    Also editing podcasts doesn't seem so bad

The hard part will be editing out weird pauses and stuff... If I even bother with that for episode 0

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Uriel wrote: »

The hard part will be editing out weird pauses and stuff... If I even bother with that for episode 0

It's a bit of a blunt force solution, but after noise removal I use Truncate Silence to change any silence longer than 0.5 seconds down to 0.4 seconds

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
    Wyborn wrote: »

It's a bit of a blunt force solution, but after noise removal I use Truncate Silence to change any silence longer than 0.5 seconds down to 0.4 seconds

As a listener, I'd rather the pauses stay in than this. The unnatural speed-talk effect is a huge turn-off for me.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular

tip that took me too long to learn, if you’re editing out an “um” or a part of a sentence, highlight part you just cut and use “crossfade clips” in Audacity, it will make the cut MUCH cleaner and often almost invisible

As a listener, I'd rather the pauses stay in than this. The unnatural speed-talk effect is a huge turn-off for me.

theres definitely a length that Just Too Long, but I try to leave in most natural pauses

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular

theres definitely a length that Just Too Long, but I try to leave in most natural pauses

my rule of thumb is to chop silences when they exceed 2 seconds unless there’s a good reason not to

f2ojmwh3geue.png

Yeah absolutely, trimming silence is an important editing step, but it's important (to me) for it to still sound like a natural conversation and to get that you gotta do it manually.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

The length recommended to me originally was 0.3, but I found that too fast

About half a second, give or take, feels juuust about right... but a big part of that is probably down to biases built up through exposure (and I do take the time to edit in silences where there were longer ones)

Our podcast has a lot of 5+ second silences, though

dN0T6ur.png

The length recommended to me originally was 0.3, but I found that too fast

About half a second, give or take, feels juuust about right... but a big part of that is probably down to biases built up through exposure (and I do take the time to edit in silences where there were longer ones)

Our podcast has a lot of 5+ second silences, though

Yeah given the nature of the show that makes sense. And, like, I get it--trimming silences manually can incredibly time-consuming and probably not worth it for what you gain, especially when you're doing it as a hobby rather than a paid job

cdci44qazyo3.gif

edited February 2019
    It'd be different if we were all in the same room; most of what the Truncate Silence does, for me, is compensate for lag in Skype chats and the bits where we're all gathering our thoughts or mis-reading when we expect other parties to talk (we sit in anticipatory silence at least as often as we accidentally talk over each other)

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
    It'd be different if we were all in the same room; most of what the Truncate Silence does, for me, is compensate for lag in Skype chats and the bits where we're all gathering our thoughts or mis-reading when we expect other parties to talk

I think part of it, for me, is most of the editing I've done has been either on shows where there's a lot of cross-talk--kind of the opposite scenario of yours, which means a lot of manually shifting bits around so that voices aren't overlapping--or on solo audio, in which case controlling the pacing is really important to keeping it engaging. And I'm bad at pacing naturally, so I gotta put in the work in post.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    I’m 100% with Jeff on this bombcast, that Quake 2 video is the only thing that is making me consider one of those new video cards.

Griffin Newman is somehow even MORE Griffin Newman on this PUTJ than he is on Blank Check

I think not having David around to shut him up just lets him go Super Saiyan

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    This might be the episode that puts me off PUtJ.

Quire.jpg
    Oh I'm like, completely in love with this episode, its my favorite they've done in weeks

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Dexys, the Midnight Runner is the nobody of Syed

man they are just completely drained and joyless by the end of this episode

6F32U1X.png
    Mr. G wrote: »
    man they are just completely drained and joyless by the end of this episode

weird, I dont get that vibe like, at all

I went to a Protomen show a few years ago and the DJ at the venue before the show was playing a bunch of classic rock which everyone was ignoring

Bowie, nothing, Queen, yawn, Zepellin, eh

but then they started playing Come On Eileen, and slowly you could hear people start to sing along

and after about a minute everyone was losing their shit

and then the DJ, RIGHT before the second chorus, cut the song off

and I have NEVER heard a more anguished cry in my life

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    I saw an episode of Real Sex when I was a teen and it had people extolling the virtues of glass dildos because you could chill them and warm them and then put them in you in quick succession for a titillating shock.

One of my managers in college described to me that she once filled a condom up with water, attached it to the ceiling of her freezer, and then froze it.

She later used it for... Well, you can imagine.

She would not recommend it at all.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
This discussion has been closed.