As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mortal Kombat 11] We Got Bugs and Fast Bois!

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Wow, D'vorah huh? I'm going to be real cross with you Mr. Boon if D'vorah gets to come back but not Jackie Briggs...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I wish they'd bring back Nitara. She was fairly unique as a vampire bat lady, but I guess Scarlett is taking some of her spotlight now as a blood freak.

• No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    i don't remember, was kabal present when they had the
    massacre at the end of MK9? there was no explanation given for why he was absent in MK10 correcT?

i dunno if anyone cares about a game this old but whatever

The multiple timelines let them do whatever they want with characters.
    Baraka super died in MKX for example

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/7vKe7VCNYLQ

He's basically a violent Flash. I love it

• RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/7vKe7VCNYLQ

He's basically a violent Flash. I love it

Almost like a.... Reverse Flash.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Man, his fatality looks great!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I wish they'd bring back Nitara. She was fairly unique as a vampire bat lady, but I guess Scarlett is taking some of her spotlight now as a blood freak.

It’s a little weird. Somehow throwing vampires into Mortal Kombat doesn’t entirely jive with things. I’m not sure why, other than all the extra baggage that comes with vampires in most settings.

edited February 2019

It’s a little weird. Somehow throwing vampires into Mortal Kombat doesn’t entirely jive with things. I’m not sure why, other than all the extra baggage that comes with vampires in most settings.

I agree, with the caveat that if they made it like a very eastern culture inspired vampire archetype that could work (I guess this would be more a ghost type vibe). MK is at its best when it's borrowing from that kind of visual pool, with the human characters providing the "big trouble in little china" western contrast.

However dvorah and skarlett feel like they fill the slots. Maybe a dlc character?

Also another thing in the new footage is 2 new stages! I love the stages in MK games, they're as important as the character selection to me. In that bone palace thing you can see shinnoks head powering some sort of device

I got a massive hit of mk3 nostalgia seeing Kabals high kick with his back to the screen animation, I haven't played mk3 since I was a kid when it first came out, but somehow I recognised it right away

Prohass on
    I love Mortal Kombat’s stage design, especially when it’s put to use to advance what’s going on in the story.

This might sound crazy, but I'd like even fatalities to carry story elements. Like not every fatality, but I'd like if the finishing moves matched the style or attitude of the character, and maybe each they had one that reflected something about the character's specific path. Like we have these intros to fights now, what about outros?
    I'd also think it would be pretty damn cool if there were Assist Fatalities. Like imagine Scorpion summoning a non-playable character to perform a fatality on an opponent. But something character specific like that, not like Liu Kang summoning Shao Kahn or something that wouldn't make sense for the characters involved (unless, of course, in some future MK game things change so much that Shao Kahn and Liu Kang do end up allied, like a face/heel turn, and that would be awesome.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Kabal looks kinda generic now. I actually miss his old mask and hair. It was kinda doofy looking but it was distinct.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Kabal looks kinda generic now. I actually miss his old mask and hair. It was kinda doofy looking but it was distinct.
    The mask looks too much like the cyber ninjas to me. I kind of liked the Tusken Raider goggle eyes of his old mask.

I'm sure it'll be a kustomization option, so I'm not bothered by the new look. Just, if someone showed me that picture without any context my first thought would be along the lines of "Oh, Sektor and Cyrax are getting a new friend?" rather than "Huh, Kabal is in".

Now I’m just imagining Kabal wearing Sektor.

• AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    D'Vorah's new default look is shoddy as all good goddamn. Her MK X look was just fine and leagues better. Hope the face can be switched around.

That D’Vorah redesign honestly looks like it started as a different character and then was reworked to be her. Those dreads look nasty and not in a good way.

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I'm not finding it too bad. It's a lot more insect-like now which is probably the direction they wanted to go with her.

Now I’m just imagining Kabal wearing Sektor.

Come on, if you're going to hack my fanfic google drive, at least try not to spoil the good bits.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »
    D'Vorah's new default look is shoddy as all good goddamn. Her MK X look was just fine and leagues better. Hope the face can be switched around.

A lot of redesigns for this game are definitely leaving me a bit cold. Hopefully that won't be an issue with the customization.

Burnage wrote: »
    Absalon wrote: »

A lot of redesigns for this game are definitely leaving me a bit cold. Hopefully that won't be an issue with the customization.

I'm hoping that the customization options are why they seem to be doing so many big changes to the character appearances. They know that the classic look is still an option, so they're trying to step out of the box with their new designs.

A character like D'vorah doesn't exactly have a lot of pre-made options from previous games (given she was only in the last one) so I can easily seem them making a bunch of new and different designs for people to pick from, in addition to something closer to her old look.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    I hope she gets a lot of funky antennas as customization options.

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    In before a collab with Capcom to give her a Darkstalkers Q.Bee costume. Complete with petrification/shatter fatality and stinger brutality.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

...I suppose I could understand Netherrealm trying to create more baseline character designs that serve as jumping-off points for the customization options going into MK11. They want you to want that cosmetic gear.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I wonder if they'll back door some characters in via Skins/Abilities like in Injustice 2.

There’s an unburned, maskless Kabal look circulating thay actually looks pretty cool. I almost wish they’d just gone with that version and called it a day.

There's also loads of other masks, there's a pretty rad skull one in one of the extended gameplay demos

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    There’s an unburned, maskless Kabal look circulating thay actually looks pretty cool. I almost wish they’d just gone with that version and called it a day.

This video right here. Apparently they're calling him "Karlos", because of course they would.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntXvPIHal98

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Karlos is just the name of the loadout. The guy in the video controlling the character was named Carlos. It was all on the livestream they did earlier in the week.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Have they shown any D'Vorah or Kano gameplay?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    Have they shown any D'Vorah or Kano gameplay?

Doesn’t seem so. It’s been a little weird with then flashing promo stills. No clue why that would be, except being some way to announce fighters ahead and then really reveal them later.

• BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Just design a game with small characters in mind and then you can bring in the Leprechaun.

With the new Pet Semetary trailer out, you could have a Gage + Cat combo.

Alt skin 1: Ellie + Cat.

Alt skin 2: Bully + dead dog from Pet Semetary 2

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
    Achievement list on Steam may have accidentally leaked most of the roster. There are achievements for doing two fatalities with a character; however the code for the achievements only has 3 letters for the character's name, so it's still a bit of a guessing game.

Spoilers below.
    BAR - Baraka (CONFIRMED)
    CAS - Cassie Cage?
    CET - ?
    DVO - D'Vorah (CONFIRMED)
    ERR - Erron Black?
    FRO - Frost?
    JAC - Jacque Briggs?
    JAD - Jade?
    KAB - Kabal (CONFIRMED)
    KAN - Kano (CONFIRMED)
    KOL - ?
    KOT - Kotal Khan?
    KUN - Kung Lao or Kung Jin?
    LIU - Lui Kang
    RAI - Raiden (CONFIRMED)
    SCO - Scorpion (CONFIRMED)
    SKA - Skarlet (CONFIRMED)
    SON - Sonya Blade (CONFIRMED)
    SUB - Sub-Zero (CONFIRMED)
    TER - ?

That's only 20 characters, and I think the selection screen has 25 so it's not the full roster. Especially given it's missing Geras. And Shao Khan, but he's basically DLC.

I’ve wondered if there might be any moves Ed Boon could make to reconceal secrets and surprises in the modern age of datamining.

I’ve wondered if there might be any moves Ed Boon could make to reconceal secrets and surprises in the modern age of datamining.

Those are Steam achievements, so they can change at any time. Boon could (and may) have thrown in a bunch of fake shit in there to confuse people.

I wish Kano wasn't in it, I've never really liked him, he's probably my least liked of the original group

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Kano is dogshit because I had the master system version and he wasn't in it

Prohass wrote: »
    I wish Kano wasn't in it, I've never really liked him, he's probably my least liked of the original group

Kano is fine. He’s just, you know. Never really been anything noteworthy. His big deal was having a metal eye and the ability to pull out his opponents’ heart, and these days there’s tons of more interesting characters that can do both. His last big development was when he became Australian, and since then?

In one ending of a more recent game he turned into a computer virus that took over all of Earth’s military forces.

That’s about it.

Kano makes Stryker look like Johnny Cage.

I was watching the MK9 cut-scenes the other day to try and remember what the hell happened with the plot and I really wish they had gotten Cary Tagawa to do Shang Tsung's voice. The dude they got just doesn't sound right at all, not after years of "IT HAS BEGUN" running on loop in my head.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    Kano's "thing" is supposed to be being Sonya's arch-enemy. They just really have done anything with that concept since MK1.

Kano's "thing" is supposed to be being Sonya's arch-enemy. They just really have done anything with that concept since MK1.

Right. He gave a reason for her character to show up. Try as they might to do something (more Black Dragon members, fighting a ‘Red Dragon’ clan, giving him an evil eye beam attack, etc) to evolve Kano, he’s just kind of there. He’s scarcely part of the greater power struggle of MK, and it’s almost unthinkable for there to be an MK title where they have Kano but no Sonya, or vice versa.

• WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular

Right. He gave a reason for her character to show up. Try as they might to do something (more Black Dragon members, fighting a ‘Red Dragon’ clan, giving him an evil eye beam attack, etc) to evolve Kano, he’s just kind of there. He’s scarcely part of the greater power struggle of MK, and it’s almost unthinkable for there to be an MK title where they have Kano but no Sonya, or vice versa.

i can see sonya without kano. she is now part of the larger save the world team. kano is still just a random mercenary/thug and replaceable