As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Anthem] Early Access is live. Please mark spoilers. God speed, Freelancers.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I wonder if we'll eventually get different melee weapons + mods for them.

They've said they are open to it I believe.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Yeah, the devs have said there is a hidden melee weapon slot that they plan on eventually supporting

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    I actually think I'll start with the ranger

I feel like it's going to be the least represented one, and I'm curious how it'll play once you start getting more interesting gear

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    Kana wrote: »

I feel like it's going to be the least represented one, and I'm curious how it'll play once you start getting more interesting gear

Ranger will be really solid for single target with that solo combo damage. I can see a ranger storm duo being top dps for crews

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    I also think I liked the Ranger the most.

I mean, I had an SMG, an assault rifle, grenades, and this really sweet laser attachment.

What more could I want? Except maybe another slot for a rocket

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
    edited February 2019

Ranger will be really solid for single target with that solo combo damage. I can see a ranger storm duo being top dps for crews

I've definitely noticed that pubbies tend to just get super distracted by the endless waves of adds while the boss just sits around at high health for an eternity. Having a ranger who's actually focus firing on priority targets will probably end up pretty important I think.

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »

Yeah, the devs have said there is a hidden melee weapon slot that they plan on eventually supporting

Can't wait for the Interceptor to get a katana so I can go full weeb.

The javelin role that I actually feel confused about is the Interceptor

It's built for close-range, high movement, but a ton of enemies don't really seem to care about movement, they just spam shots forever and you can't dodge that forever. They don't seem as good at taking out swarms as the Colossus is, which can chain combos all on its own. Like it feels more like it's a fragile mobile sniper type of character, except then you're missing out on chunks of its kit.

I've definitely noticed that pubbies tend to just get super distracted by the endless waves of adds while the boss just sits around at high health for an eternity. Having a ranger who's actually focus firing on priority targets will probably end up pretty important I think.

I saw both when I did the tyrant mines. Like there were times especially at the end of the fight I wish I had my storm to wipe out those adds, and then there were times adds were under control but that boss hp was untouched.

I really like the ranger too, it'll be my second unlock after master of capes.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I had the exact opposite experience...I was murdering mobs with the Interceptor...only place I struggled were bosses and that's where the ultimate came in.

A lot of enemies only really have soft locks to their aiming and the Interceptor has a triple jump and a triple dash so breaking LoS and quickly repositioning with them isn't difficult.

• Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular
    The javelin role that I actually feel confused about is the Interceptor

It's built for close-range, high movement, but a ton of enemies don't really seem to care about movement, they just spam shots forever and you can't dodge that forever. They don't seem as good at taking out swarms as the Colossus is, which can chain combos all on its own. Like it feels more like it's a fragile mobile sniper type of character, except then you're missing out on chunks of its kit.

Interceptor is really good at what amounts to Assassination. Like Scar Snipers are annoying but they have an interesting AI quirk where if someone gets in their face they stop trying to use the big gun, obvious use for Zippy Boi there. Also Aura Combo has a fun thing in that if an Enemy Type has a high enough Status Resistance that a single Primer has trouble hitting the Threshold on it the Inty can Aura Combo off a random trash mob and just stick close and stack the Status till it does stick, same trick works for a group of enemies.

• asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    I really like the Colossus but how a pilot fits in there will kinda always be in the back of my mind
    image cropped from here: https://gamepreorders.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/legion-of-dawn-edition-pre-order-bonuses.jpg
    TC0JS6m.png

The legs get ??? because I think if I were to do more work to try and map it, they'd bend halfway down the shin

Also the thighs on the storm seem a bit too long

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    I need a giant hammer and or axe and I need it now.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    asofyeun wrote: »
    I really like the Colossus but how a pilot fits in there will kinda always be in the back of my mind
    image cropped from here: https://gamepreorders.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/legion-of-dawn-edition-pre-order-bonuses.jpg
    TC0JS6m.png

The legs get ??? because I think if I were to do more work to try and map it, they'd bend halfway down the shin

I wouldn't over think it, otherwise you'll end up going cross-eyed.

Not sure if I'm going to be able to play this on my PC, missed out on the demo opening.

Origin's refund policy is pretty forgiving though so after a few hours if its not looking good, I can get my money back and go for the PS4 version.

• SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    For awhile people were getting the basic origin trial of 10 hours for a dollar I think, worst case it's back to ten; easy way to test out how it runs over a variety of content

PSN SeGaTai
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    SeGaTai wrote: »
    For awhile people were getting the basic origin trial of 10 hours for a dollar I think, worst case it's back to ten; easy way to test out how it runs over a variety of content

There's also a 7-day free trial for Origin Basic if you get a referral from someone who's already subscribed.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    SeGaTai wrote: »

There's also a 7-day free trial for Origin Basic if you get a referral from someone who's already subscribed.

Oh yea, there is a refer-a-friend function. That's neat.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    edited February 2019
    Ooh, looks like they got Crashlands and Arkham Origins.

Damn...There are a lot of good games here I don't own and have had on my wishlist for awhile.

Probably going to sub anyway.

Dr. Chaos on
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Ear3nd1l wrote: »
    TC0JS6m.png

Alternatively, from what I've seen BioWare has overthought it to the point where they built versions of all the Javelins with people actually inside them. There's a video out there somewhere. Once you see how the Colossus fits around the person it makes sense.

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    I still think the ranger could use some buffs. I played all 4 classes back to back and for the class that was supposed to be the single target DPS king, i killed elite mobs easier and faster with all the other 3. I even had a new 19 rare pulse blaster and it still took longer.

I found the venom darts and sticky bombs to work best but on top of the lowest damage, I also seemed to get elemental effects more. I was frozen way easier than my storm or interceptor.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Well, Iron Man isn't the single target trash mob king, certainly. Interceptor has that title handily in the bag. Interceptor will turn anything into a milkshake. Mooks, elites, minibosses- if Interceptor has some ground to stand on it will blend the world.

Iron Man might be the boss dps evil vizier, though. Damage buffs and overshields are nice. They can stand beside the Party Van and party!

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    TC0JS6m.png

Alternatively, from what I've seen BioWare has overthought it to the point where they built versions of all the Javelins with people actually inside them. There's a video out there somewhere. Once you see how the Colossus fits around the person it makes sense.

If someone knows where this video is I’d love to see it. How they actually fit into the javelins is something I’ve been curious about but didn’t think they’d actually gone into that much detail. It’s pretty cool to hear that they did.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    An important note re: "amount of dungeons" and such is that I'm pretty sure you're supposed to replay things in order to jack up the difficulty, Diablo-style.

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    TC0JS6m.png

If someone knows where this video is I’d love to see it. How they actually fit into the javelins is something I’ve been curious about but didn’t think they’d actually gone into that much detail. It’s pretty cool to hear that they did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s12FQL4FwxI

Party Van looks goofy on account of the upper body being too small, but Astartes proportions need not apply. What I find interesting is that this is a rare example of prosthetics being used to simulate heroic proportions. I've never seen it done with human models before.

At the end of the day, we're still looking at magic space suits, though. None of it makes sense.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I am really starting to dislike the static-y voice coms that you get during missions.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I'm kind of relieved they are fake story voice coms. When I first saw the demo promo video I thought it was actors demonstrating what they thought in-game dialogue might be like between players and that seemed very cringey to me.

I agree in the sense they have probably under-estimated how annoying those lines will get as you replay each mission, considering how many time we're likely intended to repeat those missions. If they were truly following the D3 model they would have skipped that somehow. My least favorite part of re-doing destiny missions too. "we've awoken the hive!" Yes dinklebot, I know. We've awoken them many, many times before. A little check-box to turn those off and just follow on-screen waypoint markers after you've done it once would be GREAT.

soylenth on
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Its kinda weird too because you don't hear that audio distortion in earlier gameplay videos so it was clearly a conscious design choice

(still my favorite thing to do is walk across rare loot and yell out to no-one in particular "YES! JARRA'S WRATH")

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    That wizard still came from the moon, damnitt.

What is this I don't even.
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Basil wrote: »
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    TC0JS6m.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s12FQL4FwxI

Party Van looks goofy on account of the upper body being too small, but Astartes proportions need not apply. What I find interesting is that this is a rare example of prosthetics being used to simulate heroic proportions. I've never seen it done with human models before.

At the end of the day, we're still looking at magic space suits, though. None of it makes sense.

Holy shit, I didn’t realize they’d built actual full size suits that people could wear. That’s awesome.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    This is going to be one of those games where you can't choose a name and only your network tag is visible, isn't it?

Its a shame. Really want to go with something like "Beef" or "Slab" since I'm going to try to go in hard on Colossus.

I'm sick and tired of systems that use my login name everywhere. It feels so damn outdated, just give me Echo#1234 and display it as "Echo" like a right and proper modern system does.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Beezel wrote: »
    So the "only three dungeons wahaha!" Thing wasn't the whole picture there

That was pretty obvious even from the demo.
    soylenth wrote: »
    I'm kind of relieved they are fake story voice coms. When I first saw the demo promo video I thought it was actors demonstrating what they thought in-game dialogue might be like between players and that seemed very cringey to me.

I agree in the sense they have probably under-estimated how annoying those lines will get as you replay each mission, considering how many time we're likely intended to repeat those missions. If they were truly following the D3 model they would have skipped that somehow. My least favorite part of re-doing destiny missions too. "we've awoken the hive!" Yes dinklebot, I know. We've awoken them many, many times before. A little check-box to turn those off and just follow on-screen waypoint markers after you've done it once would be GREAT.

Didn’t they say the VA is only going to trigger on the first playthrough?

• SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Echo wrote: »
    This is going to be one of those games where you can't choose a name and only your network tag is visible, isn't it?

Its a shame. Really want to go with something like "Beef" or "Slab" since I'm going to try to go in hard on Colossus.

I'm sick and tired of systems that use my login name everywhere. It feels so damn outdated, just give me Echo#1234 and display it as "Echo" like a right and proper modern system does.

And as someone whose handle for the last 20 years somehow wasn't available on Origin, despite signing up as soon as it launched, I agree with this whole-heartedly.

Simpsonia on

That was pretty obvious even from the demo.
    soylenth wrote: »

Didn’t they say the VA is only going to trigger on the first playthrough?

Yeah they said that you'll get the voice stuff once and then like a skipped through version on subsequent play throughs

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Simpsonia wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »

And as someone whose handle for the last 20 years somehow wasn't available on Origin, despite signing up as soon as it launched, I agree with this whole-heartedly.

I had this same issue, apparently some really old EA game you might have created an account for (e.g. Battlefield 2) counts as the username being taken, but it's an account you can't actually login to anymore.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019

I've been saying for ages, since whenever it first came out that there would be 3 strongholds at release, that without context it would be important what their release schedule was. If we were waiting half a year, sure, that'd suck, but... potentially 5 weeks or less for Stronghold #4? (barring any major snags, of course)

That'll do just fine.

That roadmap looks great and I can't wait to dig into the improvements they're already iterating on.

Edit: I believe they said that the Voice Acting will be *reduced* for later runs of the same content, but I don't believe it's removed entirely.

Though I'd laugh my ass off if they had an April Fools thing where they mixed it up. Had the voice over start talking about rare drops and how they've grinded this zone for so many weeks, just really lean into it. Break the fourth wall a little.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    Hmm...I kind of want to have multiple pilots(one male/one female)

Do I need separate accounts for that or can I still do like Destiny where you pick?

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular

Do I need separate accounts for that or can I still do like Destiny where you pick?

As I recall, you can have multiple pilots per account.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »

As I recall, you can have multiple pilots per account.

Nice...

• KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    While I'm generally pretty pumped about the game and I really enjoy that BioWare has been pretty transparent about most things, I can't help but be a little annoyed about how they're handling this whole chat thing. For example, the reply to the question during the AMA today was just "We have discussed several times that we dont have text chat at launch" which reads to me as "why do we have to keep repeating that chat won't be in at launch, ugh"

It's incredibly tone deaf, especially considering the top post on the subreddit (which we know they read) is along the lines of "Hey, I'm mute, I basically can't play this game because of no text chat!" No suggestion that this is at all a priority, just "Gosh why are people still asking this question." I know a lot of people have come to their defense with the accessibility law that is now a requirement but they're missing the key point that it's only a strict requirement to games that JUST started development. Ideally Anthem would be mostly compliant, but the law actually gives some pretty big leeway for games that were at least near completion when it went into effect. Also, I've not heard an actual dev bring that up as a reason so I'm skeptical.

I think they have some grand idea that everybody wants to communicate over voice and that's just like a weird hill to die on. Anyway, I really hope they come up with a real answer soon, or at least promise it sooner rather than later, because I could see this being a much more significant problem than silly things like demo bugs.

This discussion has been closed.