As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MCU] Captain Marvel tickets on sale now, less than 60 days to go.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    My apologies, then. More wish fulfillment on my part. :)

All good, most people haven't seen it as much as I have. I quite enjoy it.

The doctor from the cave in IM1 showed up, but it was just Tony and Happy

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    My apologies, then. More wish fulfillment on my part. :)

All good, most people haven't seen it as much as I have. I quite enjoy it.

The doctor from the cave in IM1 showed up, but it was just Tony and Happy

That's right! It was Yensen, and Tony brushed him off. Gaaah. Okay, yeah, jeez.

You know Jeff Bridges would leap at the chance. I'm gonna mark out so hard in the theater if Obadiah shows up.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    I’m convinced Stane was Hydra, so it’s be nice to get the theory confirmed or shot down.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    My only gripe is that Infinity War was so damn good, that it’s hard to get hype for anything that’s not End Game.

Even though I enjoyed Ant-Man and the Wasp, in the back of my mind I just keep wanting to conclude that cliffhanger. I’m afraid that I’ll do the same with Marvel.

I just watched it on Netflix, thanks @kime for the heads up. It was good and I enjoyed it, but this was in my head the whole time which significantly shrunk my interest in how Ant Man 2 ended. I personally like the darker movies more than the light-hearted ones, but this one was okay albeit weirdly placed in the release timeline. Great action and use of props for effects, and Michael Pena steals his scenes pretty much every time. Same with Randall Park. Again though, a little too "ha ha, joke time" considering the grim effects of Infinity War lingering around.

Now I'm wondering how
    Scott got into the first End Game trailer. Was he just lucky that he didn't get smoked along with the rest of the crew or are they implying that being in the quantum realm with all that quantum healing energy (...what? what even is?) helped? That seemed a little shake-y.

Also
    What crummy luck for Michelle Pfeiffer. Trapped in an eternal void of weird sub-atomic shit happening and you come out just to get Thanos'd.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    My only gripe is that Infinity War was so damn good, that it’s hard to get hype for anything that’s not End Game.

Even though I enjoyed Ant-Man and the Wasp, in the back of my mind I just keep wanting to conclude that cliffhanger. I’m afraid that I’ll do the same with Marvel.

I just watched it on Netflix, thanks @kime for the heads up. It was good and I enjoyed it, but this was in my head the whole time which significantly shrunk my interest in how Ant Man 2 ended. I personally like the darker movies more than the light-hearted ones, but this one was okay albeit weirdly placed in the release timeline. Great action and use of props for effects, and Michael Pena steals his scenes pretty much every time. Same with Randall Park. Again though, a little too "ha ha, joke time" considering the grim effects of Infinity War lingering around.

Now I'm wondering how
    Scott got into the first End Game trailer. Was he just lucky that he didn't get smoked along with the rest of the crew or are they implying that being in the quantum realm with all that quantum healing energy (...what? what even is?) helped? That seemed a little shake-y.

Also
    What crummy luck for Michelle Pfeiffer. Trapped in an eternal void of weird sub-atomic shit happening and you come out just to get Thanos'd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2FL6gwchco

As for the movie, I think having a lighthearted movie that was a lot of jokes and more personal was exactly what we needed after Infinity War, which was mostly just miserable. Paul Rudd was the palate cleanser we needed and deserved.

The movie worked so well because it was small (lol) and personal, and held together by the fantastic relationship he had with his daughter. The scene in the room where she is trying to tell him that she should be his partner was one of the sweetest and best things ever and as a father makes me melt. God I loved that movie. :heartbeat:

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    One cool little theory I read on the interwebs is that Thanos didn’t actually kill anyone when he dusted them.

Instead, the reality stone created an entirely different reality and transported them there, except in this reality, the dustings were reversed. So Bucky would have seen Steve be dusted, Rocket fades instead of Groot, and Peter would have been the one to hold Tony while Tony faded.

Each reality thinks the people from the other reality died.

Obviously this won’t be in the movie cause it’d take from the tension and be too convoluted to film, but I think it’s kind of cool to think about.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    One cool little theory I read on the interwebs is that Thanos didn’t actually kill anyone when he dusted them.

Instead, the reality stone created an entirely different reality and transported them there, except in this reality, the dustings were reversed. So Bucky would have seen Steve be dusted, Rocket fades instead of Groot, and Peter would have been the one to hold Tony while Tony faded.

Obviously this won’t be in the movie cause it’d take from the tension and be too convoluted to film, but I think it’s kind of cool to think about.

It's a little crazy though. But we do know that the gauntlet, or more specifically the soul stone, has a sort of "mind" over the other stones. And upon given the order to kill half the universe (which Thanos was always adamant about, eliminating half the universe regardless of method), the gauntlet/soul stone itself would say "Woah da fuk? That's the stupidest plan I ever heard of. How about instead I create an entirely new universe and shunt half of everything into it instead? I mean it'd be easier to just create a shitton of resources to solve your problem, but whatever you're the boss you wanna see half of everybody vanish."

It's a complicated joke, but the short version is "Even the gauntlet thinks the kill half of everything plan is stupid so it did its best to fake it". Which... would actually be funny as heck.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I mean

You literally have to sacrifice someone to get the Soul Stone.

I don't think it'd be against half the universe going poof.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    I mean

You literally have to sacrifice someone to get the Soul Stone.

I don't think it'd be against half the universe going poof.

The stone has a certain wisdom, and requires that someone prove that they're a right bastard before they can have it...

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Now I'm wondering how

On the ending of AM&W:
    Just luck. Nothing else to it.

On the trailer, with very real potential spoilers for End Game:
    It’s been all but confirmed that Scott travels back in time. He gets warned not to fall in to a time vortex, in the trailer he’s in archived security footage, and there’s set shots of Avengers in their old costumes.

Quid on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

Comic nitpicking counter: infinity stones are actually quite finite and only work inside the bounds of a single reality. They can't create an entire new one, they can't exert their power across dimensions, and if one ends up in the wrong universe it's just inert jewelry with some mysterious but unusable energy bound within.

r5dw6pjffwr11.jpg

This is something more in the level of a cosmic cube.

Hevach on
  • Options
    Hevach wrote: »

Comic nitpicking counter: infinity stones are actually quite finite and only work inside the bounds of a single reality. They can't create an entire new one, they can't exert their power across dimensions, and if one ends up in the wrong universe it's just inert jewelry with some mysterious but unusable energy bound within.

r5dw6pjffwr11.jpg

I’ve never read the comics, yet same comments I’m reposting also mention “Soul World,” which is a reality that exists inside the soul stone.

So it could be very possible for Thanos to have incidentally transported all the dusted souls to this soul world, but from their perspective, the situations are reversed and they can’t tell the difference between soul world and the real world.

Still, it’s cool.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I'll be damned if Soul World doesn't sound like a CD collection advertised on satellite TV in the mid-'90s. "Buy Soul World Vol. 3 now!"

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Soul World is a thing, but it might not work for that purpose. P.sure the MCU version of it was shown
    after Thanos snaps, he's in some weird orange plain talking to babby Gamora/Mistress Death Wearing Gamora's Skin. That's Soul World, IMO. Gamora is in there as the first victim, and everyone else is dragged in shortly after.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

Snip

In The MCU the cube was an infinity stone tho!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    What if they just use the cosmic cube to bring back the interpretations people had of all the people who died lol fuck you Secret Empire.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Cosmic Cube is actually much further down on the power scale than the Infinity Gauntlet

1. It's a living thing, and therefore imposes moral limits on its use, such as not allowing "Kill everyone in the universe" (A villain once had to harness the willpower of millions of people to try and override that limit)
    2. It literally has a power limit. You can use up a cube's energy, at which point it's basically a fancy paperweight

• Options
    edited February 2019
    No, that was the Tesseract. It does look a lot like the cosmic cubes from the comics, but it doesn't share anything else. It opens pathways through space, whereas a cosmic cube is a shard of energy from outside the multiverse, and functions basically like a genie in a lamp, which grants the holder's wishes, with a similar caveat as a genie - if you don't think through every tiny facet and consequence of what you wish for you probably won't like what you get.

Hevach on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    I don't think the comic book powers of infinity stones have any bearing on the MCU at this point

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    No, that was the Tesseract. It does look a lot like the cosmic cubes from the comics, but it doesn't share anything else. It opens pathways through space, whereas a cosmic cube is a shard of energy from outside the multiverse, and functions basically like a genie in a lamp, which grants the holder's wishes, with a similar caveat as a genie - if you don't think through every tiny facet and consequence of what you wish for you probably won't like what you get.

They've described the Tesseract as a cosmic cube a few times.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I think the Tesseract was probably originally intended to be a cosmic cube, but they changed their mind later and made it a square box for an infinity stone.

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    I think the Tesseract was probably originally intended to be a cosmic cube, but they changed their mind later and made it a square box for an infinity stone.

See I never bothered to separate out the concepts once the reveal in Dark World happened, because the MCU is it's own thing.

The tesseract is both the MCU version of the cosmic cube and the space stone.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Just click it: https://www.marvel.com/captainmarvel

You will not be disappointed.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    That takes me back

• Options
    Oh...

Wow!

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    Did anyone else scroll all the way to the bottom?

Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    Did anyone else skrull all the way to the bottom?

FTFY

steam_sig.png

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Why does the site not have Under Construction cones?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Why does the site not have Under Construction cones?

I like the emulated blink tag. It really helps the verisimilitude.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Geocites and Angelfire live again!

Party like its 1995!

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    tenor.gif

• Options
    And just like the 90's the site is now a 503 error after attracting a little attention.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    My favorite bit is there's a broken image toward the bottom. I'm not sure if that's intentional or not, but I'm assuming that it is.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    My favorite bit is there's a broken image toward the bottom. I'm not sure if that's intentional or not, but I'm assuming that it is.

As to that... (possible spoiler for future projects?)

However, one of the replies to that tweet claims that "http://i.annhil.us " is just junk url image hosting stuff Marvel has been using since at least 2015. Even so the road map for phase 3 dates all the way back to 2015, so...

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    phase 3 Annihilation Wave seems like almost a certainty to me. New big meta bad for the next Avengers movie with possible tie in for Fantastic Four

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    phase 3 Annihilation Wave seems like almost a certainty to me. New big meta bad for the next Avengers movie with possible tie in for Fantastic Four
    Next big bad should be Kang. Use time shenanigans to explain why the F4 and Mutants just suddenly appear out of nowhere.

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Thawmus wrote: »

As to that... (possible spoiler for future projects?)

However, one of the replies to that tweet claims that "http://i.annhil.us " is just junk url image hosting stuff Marvel has been using since at least 2015. Even so the road map for phase 3 dates all the way back to 2015, so...
    Rights to Annihilus are still with Fox and in 2015 Fox were still actively using their FF rights. Domain was registered back in 2009, btw. So I think this is nothing.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Next big bad should be Kang. Use time shenanigans to explain why the F4 and Mutants just suddenly appear out of nowhere.
    I think it would be neater to just say they've been trapped in the Negative Zone and everyone has basically forgotten about them. I suspect if we get mutants in the MCU in a major way it'll be Terrigen Mists and they'll be all new. Or they'll just start throwing them in at random and waving their hands on how

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I think it would be neater to just say they've been trapped in the Negative Zone and everyone has basically forgotten about them. I suspect if we get mutants in the MCU in a major way it'll be Terrigen Mists and they'll be all new. Or they'll just start throwing them in at random and waving their hands on how

Just give me
    DOOM

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
This discussion has been closed.