As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The newer action figures (and other toys) thread (NSF56k)

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Oh man that looks really awesome. Can you take a picture of the full guy? I always wanted to check that guy out but never could pull the trigger on him back then. Now, maybe...

Sure. I have some others that I can post when I get home. I'm having difficulty getting flattering pictures tbh though. He is big and chunky and pointy. Like literally you could puncture yourself on parts of him. I tend to not bother transforming him but the ratchets feel/sound awesome

I got him a while ago because of an eBay sale, one of the early ones was like 20% off and it happened to dip into range. Like I said I wish the "battle damage" was more like what they showed initially. Where it was the black/purple color scheme but with gun-metal scoring, slashes, or other marks. I like the figure but he just looks dirty. As though he spent a milennia stuck in a a scrapyard

Edit: also as it turns out movie toys even in box aren't exciting people so I'm back to trying eBay or whatever to part with some of these. Not that I expected much different

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    @Betsuni here are some quick ones
    Y69XJ1fl.jpg
    3nna0Pnl.jpg
    sctRmN3l.jpg
    ctuNRRal.jpg
    XYXnKaEl.jpg

Wow. That is an awesome looking bot. Not to mention huge!!!! Thanks for the photos. Congrats on snagging him for cheap too.
    Schide wrote: »

I don't know what those are, but I want them.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Figma Kazuma from Konosuba is up for pre-order

6XDGPbF.jpg

https://www.goodsmile.info/en/product/7999/figma+Kazuma.html

Naturally I pre-ordered him as well because I hate money, but also because I want to get own all 4 of the main idiots cast. Darkness hasn't been put up for pre-order yet I don't think

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    Toy photography question: @Heffling mentioned that the pictures I initially had of planet x apocalypse blended together. I can agree with it although not see it. By that I mean I have the figure in hand...well on the table at the moment but whatever. Point is I know what it looks like, I've played with it, so it is easy for me to discern what's there.

However I can completely understand not being about to make out details because of unfamiliarity with the piece in question. I haven't tried troubleshooting much yet, and I am not sure if I'd be able to recognize it as fixe door not due to what I described earlier. Is this something that can be be fixed with lighting or do you guys do anything like this?

Granted I'm taking pictures from my phone, on a folding table in my basement so I'm kinda limited but I would like to improve them if possible.

• Options
    I can't speak for Heffling, but if I was to hazard a guess it would be he might not be familiar with the Transformer you took a photo of (and less of the shot you took).

Also to answer your question would require a question. What do you want us to be focusing on? Do you want us to see the entire bot? Then the first one is a good shot. Do you want us to focus on the detail of his hand and then realize it is attached to a huge robot? Then the third shot is good.

When I take photos to share here, I just take the photo of the bots. Which is why they are boring and just in the light box. I want to bring out all the detail I can. I'm also a bit of an old school photographer and tend to keep my shots "landscape" which reminds me more of photos.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    This particular figure is unique among the ones I have because apocalypse is very monochromatic. Most transformers (well the ones I have anyway) are surprisingly colorful so it makes it easier to spot details. Yes not knowing the figure impacts things but I can see the argument that it all mushes together in those specific shots.

I like trying to create action shots or unique stuff by playing around with the poses. Granted they are sort of generic battle/"look how tough I am" stuff but that's why it gets a little more complicated so people can actual discern wtf is happening.

• Options
    Sorry if it sounded like I was critical of your shots. I'm not trying to be critical. I actually like your shots of the bots in action.

Yeah I agree that Apocalypse you have is a bit muted in colors, but I liked the shots you took since you could see the small rust spots that they put on him.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Trust me no offense taken and I don't mean to sound defensive so I apologize if it sounds that way. Just trying to see how I can improve

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    I just noticed a fallen Perceptor in those pics :lol:

Which makes me realize just how massive that thing is

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    Trust me no offense taken and I don't mean to sound defensive so I apologize if it sounds that way. Just trying to see how I can improve

I just thought of another thing you can try. Maybe try some light bounce cards (or indirect light) to the front of Apocalypse since he's so huge and dark. That might help bring out more detail in the shadows.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    So MakeToys Buster Skywing just went up for preorder. It's their take on Jetfire. A black (p)repaint (Stealthwing) actually went up first months ago, which I posted then. I guess even though Skywing is the standard colors, Stealthwing was more marketable since it would look good combining both with Striker Noir (murdered out yo) or with Striker Manus (movie OP+movie Jetfire look)

I feel the Skywing color makes the design pop a bit more since it's not lost in a sea of black, but I'm curious how it would look as armor on Striker Noir, I can't seem to find any pics of that combo

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Heatwave wrote: »
    I just noticed a fallen Perceptor in those pics :lol:

Which makes me realize just how massive that thing is

I'll try to post the other pictures where I had him devouring and demolishing other figures

edit: as promised:
    ZxwHHrCh.jpg
    tdIJK5ah.jpg
    WBOcgqWh.jpg
    TJXSTr1h.jpg
    q9G40OUh.jpg
    nDI5tHBh.jpg
    jztGEs7h.jpg

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    That's awesome!

I also got new toys this week. Figma Rem and Ram.

Got these as well as some anime blu rays for sale earlier in the month.

They're both pretty cool looking, but I had a major disaster with the alternate static chain for the morning star. The peg end got stuck in the morning star and the only way to remove it ended in the peg's destruction. Now I can only use the default loose chain, which sucks for action poses.

Anyway, pics!

CkywFKM.jpg

BAsQpSR.jpg

6DI5roD.jpg

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    while i haven't seen those specific figure before i've seen ones like them. are the stands required for the figmas to...uh stand? the feet seem really tiny so i would assume so. are there no replacement options for the chain?

• Options
    Love the G1 Transformers getting destroyed by Trypticon. Those are great!

Those Figma figures are sort of creepy looking because they look all innocent with their girl looks and then have these weapons in their hands. Scary!!! Well at least they are scary looking to me.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    I don't think it'll be possible to replace the static chain. My best hope would be to find someone willing to sell theirs but I'd rather not both to be honest.

They can technically stand on the own if you do fiddle with the feet for a normal standing pose, but yes due to the small feet they require the actual stand for poses like the ones I posted.

But since not every action figure can stand on own it's not a big deal

To prove that you can get most figmas to stand on their own, I've included on pics of others I already had in standing poses, just minus their stands.

YmF806w.jpg

g3HdsLf.jpg

I keep all my figmas on their stands to prevent them from falling over if a shelf is jumps or whatever. Also because it lets me pull off better poses without effort.

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    What is that first figure? Are those guns hanging off of her?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Looks like a ship girl. Kantai Collection I think.

Nobody on
  • Options
    Yeah that's Nagato from Kancolle. Her neck is a bit long, which was fixed on another character with basically the same design.

Not a big fan of the series, just got her because she looked cool. Also got a figma of Fubuki from the same series since she was pretty cool in the show.

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    Ohh ok. So she is supposed to be a ship. That would explain the guns.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Yeah basically. But they're also human? It's a weird show to be honest.

Arpeggio of Blue Steel was a much better show about ship girls. Passed on the chance to get figmas from that series though. Not really bothered by it now, since I was probably able to buy other cools things that year (2017).

I mean guess if I hadn't bought the DX Chogokin SV-262Hs Draken III Keith Aero Windermere Custom and Soul of Chogokin GX-70 Mazinger Z I could have easily bought figma Haruna and figma Takao from Arpeggio of Blue Steel instead.

Lesson learned: Try to avoid buying Macross DX Chogokin and Soul of Chogokin figures

Lesson ignored: Try not to buy so many expensive Transformers. And figma.

EDIT: Fuuuuck. Just looking back at what I spent in 2017 and what I'm going to spend in 2019. I miss when shit was cheaper.

Masterpiece Transformers have now become the new Soul of Chogokin in terms of price. Figmas too. All this shit is more expensive for me now due to the bad AUD/YEN exchange rate and the import tax in my country.

Why must plastic crack be so addictive :lol:

At least I've saved more now compared to 2016/2017, but that has nothing to do with cutting back on action figure spending. Because I technically haven't :P

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Leo convoy
    :O

I appreciate the idea and effort, but they did not heed the #1 motto of figure painting

"Thin your paints"

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    I really want to get one of these one day

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/87970

Also did everyone see the wfc news?

Omega supreme - Titan
    Jetfire - commander
    Impactor

Oh yeah and mirage but whatever compared to the others

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    Ooooh yeah that Thundercracker actually makes me tempted to pick it up. But I should stay strong and wait for Skywarp.

Man, this news makes me happy I never settled for a 3P Jetfire or Omega Supreme. So snagging the Jetfire as soon as I can and maybe Omega. Also Mirage is a need as well.

Here is the TFW link with pics.
    https://news.tfw2005.com/2019/02/06/new-transformers-war-for-cybertron-siege-figures-revealed-titan-omega-supreme-commander-jetfire-and-deluxes-mirage-impactor-382247

Also need to figure out how to buy the + release of Bluestreak. He has a special meaning for me since he was my first Transformer and I still have the original box for him.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Those are all expensive

• Options
    Schide wrote: »
    Those are all expensive

well the the really exciting ones are. i don't have any particular attachment to jetfire or omega supreme so i probably won't get either but i think it's cool they are continuing the big size class stuff and branching into other ones. there are a few characters that would work at commander class that would be interesting

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I can't wait until I can snag Omega Supreme for $50 at Ollies :P

• Options
    The deluxe msrp being $20 is expensive.

• Options
    That Omega Supreme face is weird

Still interested, as even if the final face looks like crap there'll probably be a third party replacement.

Jetfire looks cool as well but I wish his helmet had the black side antennas

Also a repaint/remold of MP Bluestreak is coming out as a limited release with effect parts and alternate faces. Tempting, but I'm happy with my original MP Bluestreak.

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    The pictures for wfc make everything looks kinda ugly due to all the various lines. I don't think I've seen them in person but in hand pictures don't have me super enthused at this stage either

• Options
    I love this TF line but damn is it costing me

I'll at least be skipping Impactor since I have Spartan

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    I may have just pre-ordered figma Mercy from Overwatch

ZmXhhaV.jpg

She'll go great with Pharah. Go Team Pharmacy!

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    I have yet to play Overwatch, but the character designs look really cool. The closest I got was playing some of the characters in HotS.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote: »
    I have yet to play Overwatch, but the character designs look really cool. The closest I got was playing some of the characters in HotS.

i'm not a fan of the gameplay itself, although the last time i played it was just a few months after release. however the characters are all really cool

• Options
    Couple new MP Transformers
    MP Beast Wars Blackarachnia
    YHTVt4x.jpg?1

MP G1 Bumblebee 2.0 played by Jonah Hill
    XGDhHHc.jpg?1

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Bumblebee is MP-45
    Blackarachnia is MP-46
    Hound is MP-47

Some are speculating that they mis-transformed Bee's feet and backpack. I'm thinking of cancelling my pre-order for Wheeljack+ and putting that towards Bumblebee. Although I sorta like the new paint job on the Wheeljack...

Edit: So a fan who went there asked the TT people there if it might have been transformed wrong and it wasn't. They took another shot of the back and yeah not sure about buying this guy now. Will have to see how I feel, but think I might just stick with the version I have right now.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
This discussion has been closed.