As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Etrian Odyssey: Nexus - When your cat is an absolute unit.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    PLA wrote: »
    Made decent progress on the first 47 people.
    ... You mean you're making that many characters? <_<

Memory conch, if you know what you're making later. And you can always change the name/look so may as well bank at least one of each class you're not using?
    Oh yeah, that's a good point.

I'm starting to get some 'grass is greener' thoughts, looking at other party setups. This one isn't swinging as hard as I want at the start and it'll be a while before it comes online.

• KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Ah, this one snuck up on me. My copy should be here shortly. How much choice shock am I gonna have when starting out?

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    KiTA wrote: »
    Ah, this one snuck up on me. My copy should be here shortly. How much choice shock am I gonna have when starting out?
    There's 19 classes and most of them have two not-so-subtle distinct build lines associated with them.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    There's 19 classes and most of them have two not-so-subtle distinct build lines associated with them.

Plus eventual subclassing (limited to half ranks as in IV)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy

Plus eventual subclassing (limited to half ranks as in IV)
    *screams*

Just had to get it out.

I can't wait for the day when we're making another list of best subclass pairings. I'll gladly add it to the OP.

Roger that, I remember that. And this is using the 1R and 2R angle of having the "main" character have a special class, Hero, right?

... Wait I just realized you mean there's 19 classes with 38 overreaching builds. And subclassing. Oh lord. Is there any class generally considered needed? I mean, what are my choice for healer, for example?

Roger that, I remember that. And this is using the 1R and 2R angle of having the "main" character have a special class, Hero, right?

... Wait I just realized you mean there's 19 classes with 38 overreaching builds. And subclassing. Oh lord. Is there any class generally considered needed? I mean, what are my choice for healer, for example?
    Medic, War Magus, and Sovereign are around for healing. That's all.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Very tempted to grab a 2DS to play this since I always played the EO demos but never got around to playing the full versions before selling my 3DS.

YL9WnCY.png
    Y'know, to heck with it. I'm gonna play it safe and roll my team from EO1 (the original). One exception though; instead of an Alchemist (or Zodiac in this case) I'll use a Survivalist.

• Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    I thought I was going to take a break from EO games after beating EO3, but I just started up EO5. I love these games.

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular

Harbinger and Arcanist are potent healers with special resources to spend.
    Gunner, Hero and Protector offer limited but reliable recovery-options.
    Highlander wants to help, too!

As a side note - it turns out plugging a 3DS in without a battery doesn't let you turn it on.

I'm going to have so much catching up to do :(

• FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Gotta say, my party is kind of rough early. Zodiacs run out of tp incredibly fast, and arcanists just kind of stand around while the circles tick before you get some points into the dismiss skills. Later on the arcanist could be useful as an itemuser, but early on items are rather scarce.

running arcanist and sovereign is probably kind of overkill defensively, but I like the idea of turtling. I just need some skillpoints so they can deal a little damage as well. Zodiac+imperial is a pretty sweet boss damage combo at least once the zodiac gets more TP. Pop zodiac force boost a turn or two before the imperial is getting low on tp, pop ignition same turn as the zodiac force breaks for a zero tp drive. Then second turn ignition another drive to 0 tp and finally break for more tp and a final drive before it actually goes on cooldown and I spam other skills instead. Timing sovereign force break on the turn I do the zodiac break will be a decent damage boost as well.

I do like the force boost/break mechanics. Some boosts feel unimpactful (Sovereign lol) early on, but all the breaks are useful.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    I guess the Union mechanics from EOV were a bit too good?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png

Highlander...

Wait, the special classes from 1R and 2R are in this? I thought they were basically from 1 game up -- 1R's special class came from 2, 2R's came from 3? Only they were renamed? Or was that me misunderstanding?

• KoldanarKoldanar Registered User regular
    So I messed up, and have one Digital, and one Physical copy. Anyone near the Philadelphia area want to buy the physical off me? It costs 7.50 just to send back to Amazon.

3DS friend code : 1375 - 7258 - 4504

Highlander...

Wait, the special classes from 1R and 2R are in this? I thought they were basically from 1 game up -- 1R's special class came from 2, 2R's came from 3? Only they were renamed? Or was that me misunderstanding?

Gunner was a backport from 2, Highlander was new for EOU. Both are in this. The unique class for U2 is not.

Highlander remains interesting but really a build-around to make it work with all that HP spending.

And Princess was a backport from 3 in Untold 2.

Has anyone had luck with using a Hero and 3 front row members?

I know that some of the moves the afterimages can use are ranged, but how much effectiveness do you lose going this route? I've found I'm not that enthusiastic about the back row, and I would like 3 front row people this go.

I do like the force boost/break mechanics. Some boosts feel unimpactful (Sovereign lol) early on, but all the breaks are useful.

The sovereign break is kind of interesting in that early on their EO2U break would be better (refill tp/hp for the entire team), but it does give some decent combo potential. Doubling the effect of buffs when combined with charge moves/other force breaks/defense debuffs should lead to some pretty decent numbers.

And @Koldanar it seems that a defensive hero might be the best role for it with three frontliners. The mirages won't ever do much damage when spamming defensive skills, but you still get defensive effects when mirages are active apparently. Supposedly these skills also stack if your regular hero uses a skill that a mirage is using from last turn.

Frozenzen wrote: »

The sovereign break is kind of interesting in that early on their EO2U break would be better (refill tp/hp for the entire team), but it does give some decent combo potential. Doubling the effect of buffs when combined with charge moves/other force breaks/defense debuffs should lead to some pretty decent numbers.

And @Koldanar it seems that a defensive hero might be the best role for it with three frontliners. The mirages won't ever do much damage when spamming defensive skills, but you still get defensive effects when mirages are active apparently. Supposedly these skills also stack if your regular hero uses a skill that a mirage is using from last turn.

Ah, great! I'm still early first stratum, so everyone is a bit of a hodgepodge of skills until I'm high enough to really get it settled in. I'll try that and bring my front liners back in.

Koldanar wrote: »

I know that some of the moves the afterimages can use are ranged, but how much effectiveness do you lose going this route? I've found I'm not that enthusiastic about the back row, and I would like 3 front row people this go.
    Well they're copying abilities at play, so if your goal is more the effect rather than the damage, it should work fine.

I do enjoy classes that work on both lines to some degree (Sovereign does this nicely, as they have reasonable bulk and use melee weapons anyways). Survivalist has front-line builds as an option later too - they have an evade-tank build.

I do enjoy classes that work on both lines to some degree (Sovereign does this nicely, as they have reasonable bulk and use melee weapons anyways). Survivalist has front-line builds as an option later too - they have an evade-tank build.

I have been finding that many builds I want to use are locked behind the 20/40 level gates. I anticipate tons of re-managing my group in the future, but for now, it's Hero / Land / Shogun then Arc / Gunner for now. Anyone else anticipate tons of shuffling?

I always tend to buy the $2 DLC that lets you get the exp boost - I find it more fun to change up what I do every stratum or there abouts.

I have been finding that many builds I want to use are locked behind the 20/40 level gates. I anticipate tons of re-managing my group in the future, but for now, it's Hero / Land / Shogun then Arc / Gunner for now. Anyone else anticipate tons of shuffling?

I always tend to buy the $2 DLC that lets you get the exp boost - I find it more fun to change up what I do every stratum or there abouts.

Yeah, the XP DLC is tempting to fuel my desire to try new things left and right. Once I can play again I'll probably drop down from Heroic, it's not worth it to me.

edited February 2019
    On that note the DLC for XP is very powerful. With 3rd floor access in the first primary dungeon, it kicks out 30k xp, which will take level 1 characters up to 15 quite cleanly.

Henroid on

You can shuffle an afterimage to the front whenever it seems important, but it's still decent damage in the back row, and everything else has full effect, like the shield-skills, or stuff from War Magus.

I guess the game calls Shogun a frontliner because of the melee-skills, but it has backrow-style defenses, and Commands deal full damage anywhere.

On that note the DLC for XP is very powerful. With 3rd floor access in the first primary dungeon, it kicks out 30k xp, which will take level 1 characters up to 15 quite cleanly.

*whistles* Ok - I'll hold off on that till deeper in the game then, that would be too good before the first real stratum boss.

Has anyone been finding this one a bit tougher from the get-go? I don't remember 5, Untold 1 or 2 being this tough to break into.

Richie Rich-DLC gives you +20 LUC, which is about as much as you'll see from an accessory for most of the game. The other one is WIS, I think, which it neat, too.

*whistles* Ok - I'll hold off on that till deeper in the game then, that would be too good before the first real stratum boss.

Has anyone been finding this one a bit tougher from the get-go? I don't remember 5, Untold 1 or 2 being this tough to break into.
    This is absolutely harder than 5, 4, U2, U1, and 3. Original 2 probably as well. It is at minimum as hard as the original game, but I'm thinking it may actually be harder.

I've finally decided to just suck it up and get my half-day exploration pokes in and run with that in my mind as the normal progress pace.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Bugs that can two hit a heavy armor wearer and animals that poison both located on the first floor of the first labyrinth is pretty brutal even for EO standards. Also...
    the foul smelling liquid that drains HP and TP while tempting you to unequip gear to remove the debilitating stench until you get clean is an old school Fuck You

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
    The initial experience is uncannily akin to EO1, except the classes are actually good and the game in general is far better designed. The sadistic things are there on purpose, instead of feeling like they are there since the game is incredibly barebones.

I'm hoping boss design is closer to 5 than 2U at least, it would be annoying to be forced to read up on every boss because they have far too much health and a strict pattern you have to memorize.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I'm hoping boss design is closer to 5 than 2U at least, it would be annoying to be forced to read up on every boss because they have far too much health and a strict pattern you have to memorize.

Glad I'm not the only one. I've only played fully through 1U so far (sans superboss) and love it but been slow through 2U. Thought I was burnt out on the game style but I think its just the bosses. Expert has been so perfect for trash/FoEs though so I am loathe to adjust it.

I just noticed in EON that items sell back for 40% of original value instead of the usual 50%.

Fuck you Napier's Firm, and your shit-eating grin. >:[

I just noticed in EON that items sell back for 40% of original value instead of the usual 50%.

Medic is right there for 20% more loot... (And Farmer/Survivalist both have the skill for more loot from all harvest points, and a later skill for more rare loot. Farmer also can get up to 50% double harvest chance).

Medic is right there for 20% more loot... (And Farmer/Survivalist both have the skill for more loot from all harvest points, and a later skill for more rare loot. Farmer also can get up to 50% double harvest chance).
    I actually put a point into the Medic's drop rate thing because item drops seem lower in this game.

1 Stratum 3F
    Are you fucking KIDDING ME? Cernunnos just shows up like "SUP BITCH" and rolls over you.

edited February 2019
    I caught myself calling the pinkhaired archetype "recessive genes Protector".

Doctor Mugs' bodypaint is much more visible with some skin-colours.

PLA on
    I haven't made any attempts since the curve ball I ran into last night. I'm seriously considering running the game at an easier difficulty.