As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Apex Legends] Battle Royale from the makers of Titanfall. High OCTANE gameplay!

• Options
    TigerStylezTigerStylez Registered User regular
    Morblitz wrote: »
    I normally am proud to not spend money on free to play games as I fucking loathe microtransactions so I rarely do it.
    However I love respawn and really like what they've done with this game in the face of EA's standard crappy marketing and game dev mind set.
    I think I'll throw them some monetary support their way for this so hopefully they get the recognition they deserve.

The way I see it is that if this game takes off and starts making money for EA we may yet see TF3.

• Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    The only problem I have with this game so far is that I keep feeling like I'm playing Titanfall 2 but that things work... differently, such as finding out that melees from behind don't insta-kill or that the Spitfire was apparently nerfed here.

NOT being able to wall-run and boostjump is SO WEIRD, especially when playing as Pathfinder. His grapple wire could use a detector marker to see when it's in range of a target.

Otherwise? GG, it's a solid game.

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    As an old man (hate admittingit but it's true) there's something very millennial about BR games. You go in, win or lose, and get reset back. No waiting, no patience, no waiting till the end of the round. You either do good and win, lose quick and fail, but constant gratification.

This game feels good, but at the end of the day, BR games just aren't for me.

*yells for kids to get off his lawn*

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    As an old man (hate admittingit but it's true) there's something very millennial about BR games. You go in, win or lose, and get reset back. No waiting, no patience, no waiting till the end of the round. You either do good and win, lose quick and fail, but constant gratification.

I love it when you can just jump and be as good as the best player, without having to waste months for unique gear..

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular

I mean, you were just complaining there wasn't enough combat going on so I don't think instant gratification is a genre specialty.

BR's mostly work for the same reasons MOBA's or Counterstrike work: High stakes combined with a dynamic play arc.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

Uh, how is that any different from the arena shooters of the 90s? You kill, you die, you respawn.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Yeah...speaking as someone who has played shooters since Unreal...there have always been shooters with very little downtime for players who like that stuff.

If anything my problem with BRs are they alternate between very little happening to a lot happening all at once frequently.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    WhittledownWhittledown Registered User regular
    Played my first round before work today, had a grand old time! Was really easy to communicate using the ping system so that was great. Actually got a few kills and playing a medic doesn't neuter you since you can pick up whatever guns.

DRCdHs6.jpg?1
  • Options
    gigawatt666gigawatt666 Registered User regular
    I’m not gonna lie room, this game has its talons in me deeper than Bloodhounds raven......
    And I wouldn’t mind squading up with a couple of you hobo’s. If you’re playing on PC Feel free to add to friends on Origin : Gigawatt666
    See you in the Apex.....

BattleNet i.d. : gigawatt666#11111
    Ps4 : Gigawatt666
    Steam I.D. : Gigawatt666
    LoL : GiG4W4TT
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    So, being hit by an enemy lifeline's supply drop is.. Unhealthy, as this Bangalore found out.
    https://gfycat.com/EarnestOilyAmericangoldfinch

(not mine)

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    We had a 3 man stack going last night. Got dangerously close to winning and ended the night on a crushing 2nd place loss.

I never played Titanfall or Titanfall 2, so I don't know any of the weapons, so it's a big learning curve. I need to get better about using Bloodhound's ultimate as soon as Bangalore drops smoke, that seems like a really good combo

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I think the combo I’ve seen the most so far is Blooodhound/Bangalore/Lifeline. The instant cover and detection of enemies combined with the AOE healing and supply drops, can be really effective in surviving encounters and making sure your squad is well equipped in between them.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I played some more rounds last night and we ended second place twice and third once. My favorite is the tracker, I like seeing little pop ups that tell me if someone has bled in the area recently or empty firing rounds from how long ago. Super cool. I think I'm getting used to the guns now, I like the Scout, the Longbow, and the Wingman. They seem to be my go-to weapons. I also did well against a squad with a 3-round mag shotgun pistol, I have no idea what that gun is called.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    We had a 3 man stack going last night. Got dangerously close to winning and ended the night on a crushing 2nd place loss.

I never played Titanfall or Titanfall 2, so I don't know any of the weapons, so it's a big learning curve. I need to get better about using Bloodhound's ultimate as soon as Bangalore drops smoke, that seems like a really good combo

We will get better! I'll be around again tonight.

• Options
    Rius wrote: »

We will get better! I'll be around again tonight.

I won't be around tonight, going to see a play. But I'll be around, for sure!

Anyone on PC feel free to add me on Origin, I'm on the spreadsheet.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Unlike most BR games this feels like legitimate multi 3 person squad single elimination tournaments all played out simultaneously.

It's like bowling except you're bowling on all the lanes at the same time.

The refined looting and command wheel options with incentive to survive as a squad are awesome.

I do think they will need serious revision of some heroes. The balance is all over the place, but the shooting is fun enough it doesn't matter too much.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    I played some more rounds last night and we ended second place twice and third once. My favorite is the tracker, I like seeing little pop ups that tell me if someone has bled in the area recently or empty firing rounds from how long ago. Super cool. I think I'm getting used to the guns now, I like the Scout, the Longbow, and the Wingman. They seem to be my go-to weapons. I also did well against a squad with a 3-round mag shotgun pistol, I have no idea what that gun is called.

The Mozambique, named after the close quarters tactic of shooting a target twice in the torso and if they don’t drop a headshot. Thus the shot pattern of two low and one high. Giving it just three shots in this is probably smart, since in Titanfall 2 it had six.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I think the combo I’ve seen the most so far is Blooodhound/Bangalore/Lifeline. The instant cover and detection of enemies combined with the AOE healing and supply drops, can be really effective in surviving encounters and making sure your squad is well equipped in between them.

Bloodhound and Bangalore actually go well together because their ultimate let's them see through smoke which can be used offensively and defensively to counter other Bangalore's smoke.

Also...during long range fights smoke grenade and revive shield can make saving a downed teammate really easy.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Although, I don't understand Bloodhound's love for ravens if he doesn't use them in game at all? Like they specifically took inspiration from Borderlands characters, like Lilith for Wraith and Mordecai for Bloodhound. I would have liked the use of birds somehow since it's so prominent in his intros and borders.

• Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    https://reddit.app.link/zrthmLbj7T

I’ve managed to win a match at that location but that made laugh hard.

• Options
    Thx @Spawnbroker for pointing out the google doc. Incoming invites when I get home from work....

• Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    I figured Bloodhound's ravens just tied into their whole Allfather thing. Huginn and Muninn, etc

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I think I was most able to appreciate APEX because I've played PUBG and Fortnite and absolutely hated the experience; PUBG in particular just had too much item management going on and too much wide open spaces doing nothing to feel OK with getting blasted in the face after 50 minutes of running around and maybe 5 minutes of combat.

APEX on the other hand basically halves all of that. Evasion is certainly an option, but if you haven't spent any time gearing up, you're going to have a bit of a go at it in those final moments. I will say that these matches last mostly 20 minutes, I haven't found that gameplay loop as frustrating in APEX like I did in PUBG and others. APEX is pretty aggressive at getting the match going, with the chemtrails showing where everyone is going, supply ship visible on the map for everyone, and abilities of some of the legends to actually know where other teams are likely to be.
    https://reddit.app.link/zrthmLbj7T

I’ve managed to win a match at that location but that made laugh hard.

They deserved that loss. That section has SO many places to perch why in the hell are you bundled up together like it's winter time.

. . .also that's one of my favorite places on the map.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Whoops.

ED! on
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Thanks for pointing out the sheet, added myself.

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Echoing the "this is the first BR that's clicked for me in any meaningful way" sentiment. I really liked the IDEA of BRs like Fortnite and PUBG, but they were always...oppressive? It was this isolating experience of slowly, quietly hunting for loot for 10-15 minutes without seeing another person punctuated by a single moment of "oh shit" and most usually my immediate death.

There are a couple reasons why this feels immediately different for me:
    1. Higher TTK. While it's certainly frustrating that people seem to take a long time to actually put down (particularly in the late game), it also means that I have some ability to react when I come under even a medium amount of fire; take a defensive position, use some healing items, and either engage or retreat. In other BRs I'm usually dead by the time it registers with me that I'm in trouble.
    2. Forced team play that just works. Team play definitely addresses the feeling of isolation I mentioned above. I know Fortnite and PUBG supported squad play, but I never had interested friends to play with and the matchmaking experience was...unpleasant. Between the Legends themselves creating specialization, the jumpmaster system, and the ping system, Apex Legends creates a random squad experience that is somehow actually enjoyable. Randos are actually driven/encouraged to stick together and communicate, which is just awesome.

In all, it's the first BR I've played where I actually want to queue up for another round after playing. It has that "just one more" feeling that other BRs never did for me.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    The jumpmaster thing needs to be considered as core content for BRs going forward, it's a great idea that I can't believe nobody else thought of before.

• Options
    Have to echo that sentiment! I just played a few games yesterday.. Then just one more... Then just one more...then one more..

It feels less like bullshit here, probably because it feels more like connected team brawler maps and less like loot and die 20 minutes later simulator

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    The jumpmaster thing needs to be considered as core content for BRs going forward, it's a great idea that I can't believe nobody else thought of before.

Yeah the game is just filled with so many tiny quality of life changes that just add up.

Plus the interface is just good in general.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    We were having issues last night with finding good safe jump spots. It seemed like almost every game, the jump location we picked just happened to be the SAME SPOT everyone else jumped to. Then if we managed to escape the hellscape, there were entire areas that were unlooted.

Maybe it's just getting a feel for the map, but it was definitely strange. And we were trying to AVOID other teams most of the night!

• Options
    The number of times we ran late through Bunker and it was unlooted :rotate:

• Options
    My favorite was I'm pretty sure we dropped onto Bunker immediately, another team got there first and we diverted away, then in that same match we ended up wrapping around on Bunker from the other side and BUNKER WAS UNLOOTED

• Options
    The number of times we ran late through Bunker and it was unlooted :rotate:

First place I suggest especially if the plane comes in from the NW. Slum Lake, The Pit, etc. area is a treasure trove and I honestly don't find many teams landing there. I like landing in the silo, looting and making our way NW and then South. Otherwise The Swamp is a decent area to loot as well.

• Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    I'm very uneasy about this whole forced squads thing. Solo is very much my preference in BR games so it's pretty difficult to really like this game despite the tight shooting mechanics.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Honestly, the revival mechanic is so much of what makes this game different that I think the game would be pretty boring without it.

It kind of reminds me of Gears of War...which I don't believe ever had a solo mode either.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    I can not imagine a duo or solo mode isn't in consideration.
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Honestly, the revival mechanic is so much of what makes this game different that I think the game would be pretty boring without it.

It kind of reminds me of Gears of War...which I don't believe ever had a solo mode either.

. ..agreed. It's not like PUBG didn't have this for squad gameplay, but once a team mate was out, they were out. Being able to revive your team mate at the respawn location is a great way to not punish "bad luck" situations that the other members of your squad were able to recover from.

• Options
    I like starting in The thunder dome and moving NE to hit the airbase myself......

• Options
    I really like Airbase, it's got two drop spots with 4 supply crates each. It's especially fun to drop to when the supply plane is going to land there eventually, because you can gear up and wax the survivors if they stuck around.

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Do Caustic's poison traps blow up automatically if an enemy walks near them, or do they only blow up if you shoot them?

• Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    It's amusing that most of my few kills so far have been from just beating on people with my bare hands.

It's just so much more satisfying, although a good Wingman headshot is a very rewarding way to get to Champion.

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png