As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

They advanced the PLOT?! Warhammer 40k casual lore

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Ultramarines were on the front of the 1st edition codex, I believe, so yeah.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    Weren't crimson fists on some really early codexes too? Like 2nd edition?

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Also pretty easy to paint from what I've heard, compared to other popular chapters. Box Art Marines babey! Everyone wants the dude from the box, look at how many people wear the box Art armor in dark souls and stuff.

Edit: I wonder what the history there is though. Were they popular and then GW started using them in box art, and then it went from there, or was it the reverse where they said "Well that blue sure does look good on the box..."

the dark souls box art armor isn't popular because it's the box art, it's the box art because it looks so good

also as someone whose primary exposure to warhammer 40k has been the dawn of war series I'd probably use the blood guys... blood ravens... blood whatevers if I were to get into the tabletop with a marine army

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I've never made a space marine army but when I first heard of space marines from my friend we drew pictures of them (cos we didn't have the pocket money to buy them). Mine were covered in spikes and, despite my friend's objections, were good guys.

So I guess I would have picked the Black Dragons chapter.

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    They're actually called blÙDRAYvens in the dawn of war games it's really weird

https://youtu.be/WeCfod1XT7E

:v
    :so_raven:

Edit: look spikes are a valid aesthetic choice for any alignment, it's the spikes on the inside that count.

Metzger Meister on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    oh wait they actually were called the blood ravens, I thought I was getting them mixed up with a miniboss in diablo 2

BahamutZERO.gif
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    they're called ravens because they're complete fucking kleptomaniacs and steal shit from goddamn near everybody

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Why yes this Custodes Artificer armor was a gift to the chapter, what else would it be?

greyfax would lose her goddamn mind if she ever saw their vaults

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    bbbtsev70yds.jpg

I hope any future uses/appearances of the Blood Ravens continues to lean into the meme, because its a funny geneseed corruption for a loyalist chapter to have. And as Pip points out, it is thematically appropriate for their mascot.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    bbbtsev70yds.jpg

I hope any future uses/appearances of the Blood Ravens continues to lean into the meme, because its a funny geneseed corruption for a loyalist chapter to have. And as Pip points out, it is thematically appropriate for their mascot.

Later, on board a Blood Raven cruiser.
    "It was a gift, came with a collection of bolts too...

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Smurph wrote: »
    People have mentioned wanting GW to finally have the balls to kill of the Emperor to move the story forward, but what I really want is for them to reveal what happened to the 2 unknown primarchs.

The wolves got them

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Smurph wrote: »
    People have mentioned wanting GW to finally have the balls to kill of the Emperor to move the story forward, but what I really want is for them to reveal what happened to the 2 unknown primarchs.

The wolves got them

Also, official art of Malcador the Sigillite on a throne has skulls marked with their legions' numbers (II and XI) on either armrest.
    6vgcyqyavwbs.jpg

Worth noting that Leman Russ apparently had the best relationship with the Sigillite of any the primarchs, and Malcador founded the Inquisition and Ordo Assassinorum.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    I like the theory that the two lost legions never existed, Big E just created the myth of those two legions as an unspoken threat to keep the primarchs in line.
    "Look, dudes, I already offed two of you bastards and gave their skulls to my boy to decorate his chair, you sure you really want to push me on curfew? And for the love of god (who doesn't actually exist) Russ, stop dragging your ass across the carpet."

see317 wrote: »
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    bbbtsev70yds.jpg

Later, on board a Blood Raven cruiser.
    "It was a gift, came with a collection of bolts too...

I would love it if for some technical reason they couldn't get Primaris Marines to work with their recruits, but "somehow" their armor and equipment kept ending up in their possession.

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    The more I think about it the less unlikely a Total Warhammer 40k game seems. The groundwork is all there in the Warhammer games already.

Vehicles, monster units, magic, flyers, etc. Units take cover in siege battles and there was also a limited cover mechanic and deployable stuff in Rome 2 and Atilla though I never played that one.

More games that let you use Space Marine dropships please.

My favourite thing in DoW was the buildings dropping down.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I would like Ground Control:40k. GC2 was a lot of fun. I just don't enjoy base building all that much in rts games. Unless it would be something like Dark Age of Technology frontier excursion where you have to colonize a planet and develope your base with the help of stc-designs. You could probably also do that as a rogue trader game.

edited February 2019
    Yeah, as much as I liked DoW 1, I really came to prefer 2's streamlining/simplification of base management.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    ARMA style game but set in the 40K universe would be ace.

I know there are mods but I want it done properly.

Multiple campaigns for different races. Of course the Space Marine campaign would get the most focus but an Imperial Guard one would also be great

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Give me Dawn of War 2 but like ten times bigger. Also give me new the newly stylish/fucking completely bonkers Necrons in it please.

actually just make a game that is me playing as Trazyn going around stealing historical shit/people and vaporizing them when they argue about it

Katamari damacay: 40k
    Who collects the biggest ball of treasure in the galaxy? Trazyn faces his greatest challenge yet, the blood ravens.

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    A brother's in arms style squad based shooter where you start out as PDF, then switch to Guard then finally Storm Troopers.

Space Marines would be included, but as NPCs so you can stand in awe as they gun down enemies.

Trace wrote: »
    Give me Dawn of War 2 but like ten times bigger. Also give me new the newly stylish/fucking completely bonkers Necrons in it please.

actually just make a game that is me playing as Trazyn going around stealing historical shit/people and vaporizing them when they argue about it

At least one cut scene has to be just a nice sit down meeting between the Blood Ravens and Trazyn talking up their respective collections.

• Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    Total War strategic layer with Dawn of War tactical layer.

sXXjb1B.png
  • PerduraboPerdurabo Registered User regular
    Republic Commando 40k

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Tetris, but with servitors forced into different shapes

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    you know how they let you drop in and shoot the artillery pieces in 3rd person in Total Warhammer?

they could do that, but let you snap into individual units.

you know how they let you drop in and shoot the artillery pieces in 3rd person in Total Warhammer?

https://youtu.be/YZvbCgnCJoA

honovere wrote: »

https://youtu.be/YZvbCgnCJoA

T H I S H U R T S Y O U.

They could even work it into the actual lore of the game too! "Oh shit, it's the SPIRIT OF THE GOD-EMPEROR OF MAN inhabiting this random guardsman and now his flashlight hits like a goddamn basilisk and he's tanking shots from a Warboss!" or the spirit of chaos, WAAAGH!!! energy, Tyranid Hive Mind, etc., almost every race has some kind of believable fluff reason that you'd be able to do it.

Rhana Dandra FPS. Start out as Fuegan and assemble The Phoenix Lords for the Final Battle.

Or, as a twist, you start out as a Aspect Warrior, become an Exarch. Halfway through the story you find the armour an ancient suit of aspect armour surrounded by a mountain of fallen enemies. You pick up the armour pieces, voices of dozen of dead Exarchs fill your head, a single one louder than all the others. And on ethe story goes as a Phoenix Lord.

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    my ideal Phoenix Lord game would probably be a Platinum game.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I feel the tale of Rhana Dandra started already but not with Fuegan as he was no where to be seen
    Oddly it started with Jain Zar and Maugan Ra

My 40k video game would be Fire Warrior, again.

You ever play Dungeon Keeper?
    You could do that in that game, each unit had it's own unique visual style.

• NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Total Warhammer 40k seems like it should be 2 games.
    One is space layer where planets act as cities and you move around with navy fleets.
    Second is planet layer where you have cities acting as cities, but you can ship more troops from other planets.

Or possibly planets are just like cities, and taking/loosing one is done like city battles in total war games. Trying to juggle resources for fleet production and guard production might be tricky.
    But having to balance the two, or go all out on one or the other depending on the situation could add additional strategic layer to the game.

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Looks to be some reveals/announcements tonight at The Last Vegas open.

my ideal Phoenix Lord game would probably be a Platinum game.

man

blade wolf only instead you're karandras

Also Deathwing Enhanced edition is on sale till the 11th for like 13 bucks.

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Also Deathwing Enhanced edition is on sale till the 11th for like 13 bucks.

It's good!

This discussion has been closed.