As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

join us in glorious pod-hood [jobs]

• DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I was told that I might be over qualified for that job I interviewed for and they were considering going with a junior person instead. Rats to being such a badass! I really want to work at a startup and get in on some of that equity. I did some research yesterday into Boston startups and the ones on the list were primarily software and not looking for mechanical engineers, which is crazy. Everyone should have a mechanical engineer on staff, just in case!

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    The best place to yell at colleagues is in the shower. Specifically your shower, at home, when they're not there.

What about their shower, in their home, when they didn't know I was there?

The real elite way to go is to meet every member of their family, ingratiate yourself into their lives, and have them all grow to love and respect you more than your colleague. Then excise them from their own family.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    We should be hearing back about bonuses soon. All the line managers were just dragged into a last minute meeting that nobody emerged from looking happy

I'm sure that means super big bonii!

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    HELP

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    HELP

Do you need somebody?

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »
    HELP

Do you need somebody?

Not just anybody?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Hurrah! Work has been postponed by two hours! Thanks, unexpected ice storm!

Oh, a full snow day? Unexpected ice storm, you shouldn't have!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    I went to go take a poop here at work, and somebody was in the second stall. I realize they are also pooping, so I don't mind, as we'll both be smelly.
    Although the other pooper was one of those types that, I guess, hates bathroom smells. She filled the room with a harsh peppermint smell. My eyes started watering, but I wasn't quite done when she left the room with the horrid scent of mint oil.
    Now my eyes are all red and the smell is lingering in my nose. I'd rather just deal with normal smells. Ugh

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    I think my soda drinking has finally caught up to me. Pretty sure I'm dealing with gout right now. The area around my big toe's joint has been in some pretty extreme pain. I can't bend my foot up.

I really need to get a job so I can have insurance and find out for sure.

Craigslist has some pretty promising job openings so I'm starting to feel kind of hopeful again with this job search.

I had this problem and thought it was gout and it turned out to be walking in shoes without sufficient arch support. So it might be worth investing in some insoles to see if that solves the problem.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    discrider wrote: »
    use
    Me

okay, now we have a containment breach for real this time

Y'know I was just joking about labeling it as from the SCP Foundation

• KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    I went to go take a poop here at work, and somebody was in the second stall. I realize they are also pooping, so I don't mind, as we'll both be smelly.
    Although the other pooper was one of those types that, I guess, hates bathroom smells. She filled the room with a harsh peppermint smell. My eyes started watering, but I wasn't quite done when she left the room with the horrid scent of mint oil.
    Now my eyes are all red and the smell is lingering in my nose. I'd rather just deal with normal smells. Ugh

Was at work for over an hour before I got a chance to take a much needed poo. Nightmarish what I go through.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Naphtali wrote: »
    discrider wrote: »
    use
    Me

okay, now we have a containment breach for real this time

Y'know I was just joking about labeling it as from the ███ █████████

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I've now been working from home like half the last two weeks due to snow or subzero temps. This weather is ridiculous.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    My younger coworkers are openly talking about recruiters contacting them and interviewing at other places and stuff. They are like maybe 5 years out of school and this some of their first real job, so I guess that they don't know that you shouldn't do that out in the open at your current job.

I mean I've done phone interviews in my office at a job before and didn't hide it from anyone, but that was after I had been told I was being laid off in a few weeks so I didn't care and everyone understood.

• LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    Honestly, I think that should change.

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Cello wrote: »
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    Liiya wrote: »
    "Are there clouds at night?" - colleague who has never look up at night.

i had a colleague that didn't realize that water expanded when frozen, she ended up in a Forbes 30 under 30 thing...

Had another that had Stress = Force / Area on his dry erase board, which for an engineer is like having to have your name tattooed on your forehead.

I expect that lots of people don't know water expands when it freezes

She was an engineer and a new homeowner, she shoulda known!

If anything, being an engineer makes it more likely she wouldn't know

Common sense is especially less common in our profession

... because when you've filled your head with things like tensile strength of 10 gauge aluminum wire, how to manually assemble heptane from those little atom balls, and how many 2 ohm resistors you need to use to get ~1.5 ohms of total resistance across a 3-path parallel circuit, simple things tend to fall out.

Suddenly every wizard in fiction makes sense.

Wizards knew how muggle shit worked, they just forgot

• Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Retirement lunch for my boss will take up a big chunk of the middle of the day so this'll feel like a half-day at best.

This has been a weird week, time-wise. Ready for it to be over.

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    LaOs wrote: »

It's like the adage that you should never tell your coworkers your salary, so they won't find out they're underpaid and ask for more money

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Ha! I failed to anticipate that two additional levels of leadership would come down from Seattle for the retirement lunch, so boss's boss and boss's boss's boss are hobnobbing around the office today.

Also another guy. Not sure why he's here. Long drive for a lunch?

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    my current boss once found out I was applying to jobs out of state a few years ago and got pretty upset

but then I got some money in my review so I didn't feel the need to keep looking

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular

It's like the adage that you should never tell your coworkers your salary, so they won't find out they're underpaid and ask for more money

That I think is worse. Especially when your employer tries to codify it in the employee handbook (the HR person I was speaking with at the time wondered what that look on my face was, but I blamed it on something else).

aTBDrQE.jpg
    Skeith wrote: »

That I think is worse. Especially when your employer tries to codify it in the employee handbook (the HR person I was speaking with at the time wondered what that look on my face was, but I blamed it on something else).

All salaries should work like government salaries - everyone should be able to know what everyone else gets paid at any time.

Secret salaries only benefit the person at the top.

Kaplar wrote: »
    Who knew that my work experience from an old job at a drug detox ward would get me ready for some of the customers I get at the bank. First time someone said they were with the mob and would cut off my finger though.

2 days in a row of complete assholes. I'm going to see about getting this person's accounts closed.

Hah. Got the go-ahead. Shutting this shit down!

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    That was my wife's favorite part of managing a bank. Customer gets mad and threatens a teller? Time to call corporate security and close out all the accounts. But not to worry, all the funds will be sent via registered mail as a cashier's check in the next 5 business days.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    I'd say all your fellow employees knowing you're interviewing around is a bad idea, regardless of whether it should be culturally fine or whatever. If your boss finds out, they're going to start making preparations to replace you, which is a real pisser if you then don't get the new job.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I need to brag on myself for a minute

yesterday I got a big print job, which I am well used to doing at this point. This one was annoying for a number of reasons:

1) It was entirely .msg files, which I found Acrobat doesn't batch print (or doesn't batch print well anyway).
    2) These msg files had attachments which I also needed to print.
    3) They wanted emails in chronological order, and the msg files were not organized in this way, so I had to manually rename each email according to the date sent.
    4) 3 copies.
    5) The printer's default settings tended to hole punch through the text of some of the email.

But I got it done! I renamed every email to the date, including even the timestamp if I had more than one email with the same date.

For the printer issue I fooled around with the settings so that it shoved the gutter of the email like .2 inches over to the side, and also reduced the size of the print so that it didn't cut off anything.

I did have to manually select and print EVERY email as well as the attachments. That was a pain.

But I made a master document and then made the two copies of that, and delivered it to the paralegal who requested it.

Anyway, I just feel good about getting that done. Also I'm glad they didn't want tabs for each individual email. That would have driven me nuts.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    My interview for the new positron is officially scheduled for Monday at 11. Thought right before I got a call asking me about my bachelor's degree not being in computer science, but I'm getting my masters so I'm hoping that's only going to be a roadblock to pay and not for the position.

Now to spend the next three days freaking out

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    My interview for the new positron is officially scheduled for Monday at 11. Thought right before I got a call asking me about my bachelor's degree not being in computer science, but I'm getting my masters so I'm hoping that's only going to be a roadblock to pay and not for the position.

And if you don't get that, there's always openings in the electron fields, though I hear those are a bit more negative.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »

And if you don't get that, there's always openings in the electron fields, though I hear those are a bit more negative.

Too much uncertainty there.

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Lunch time badminton is fantastic for relieving stress.

At lunch today I had the thought that I'm so lucky to work with such great people and on such amazing projects. I hate being that guy whose overly enthusiastic but I'm so happy in my job. I'm so grateful for it.

I fully expect the scowling asshole will exit the interview room just as you arrive. Maybe he'll glare at you and bump your shoulder in passing.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I oughta wear my snow boots to work tomorrow

I guess the snowstorm may hit sometime in the afternoon. In which case we may go home early, I think? But I don't want to slip in the snow!

Plus they do a good job of keeping my feet nice and warm.

Prediction for my neck of the woods is snow starting Saturday, 4 inches by Sunday evening, up to 14(!) by Tuesday.

Wife is heading to Costco today and we're going to be ready to hole up. I'll bring my computer home and expect to work from home again Monday and Tuesday, which will be nice.

Yeah right now I'm hearing the snow MIGHT hit Seattle by noon tomorrow, and in Puyallup they're forecasting maybe a foot or so of snow. So I'm sure Saturday at the very least will be a stay in home day.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular

I fully expect the scowling asshole will exit the interview room just as you arrive. Maybe he'll glare at you and bump your shoulder in passing.

His boss is one of my four interviewers! My hopefully soon to be boss, that guys boss, both of thems boss, and the lady from HR

Liiya wrote: »
    Lunch time badminton is fantastic for relieving stress.

At lunch today I had the thought that I'm so lucky to work with such great people and on such amazing projects. I hate being that guy whose overly enthusiastic but I'm so happy in my job. I'm so grateful for it.

Happiness booooo

I've been proofread! Here's the kind of sentence she wants me to put a comma in:

"While waiting in the lobby she saw a few other people come and go but didn't think the business was very busy."

She think's it's incorrect, and that it should be:

"While waiting in the lobby she saw a few other people come and go, but didn't think the business was very busy."

I feel like her comma isn't wrong, but it's unnecessary, so I don't want it there.

• N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    Actually, it may be wrong? It's definitely unnecessary. It should be after 'lobby.' :-P I mean, I know that phrase is short enough to get away without it, but I'd put it there long before I'd put it after "go."

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    I would argue there are two missing commas. One is for the dependent clause "While waiting in the lobby," coming before an independent clause "she saw a few people come and go" and one before but because it links two independent clauses "she saw a few other people come and come" and "[she] didn't think the business was very busy".

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    OTOH, I agree with her.

This discussion has been closed.