As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Anthem] Early Access is live. Please mark spoilers. God speed, Freelancers.

• Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    My buddy is taking time off to play this during the EA week. I definitely owe him a beer for taking one for the team to see how smooth/working things are, and to get a feel for potential longevity.

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Kyanilis wrote: »
    While I'm generally pretty pumped about the game and I really enjoy that BioWare has been pretty transparent about most things, I can't help but be a little annoyed about how they're handling this whole chat thing. For example, the reply to the question during the AMA today was just "We have discussed several times that we dont have text chat at launch" which reads to me as "why do we have to keep repeating that chat won't be in at launch, ugh"

It's incredibly tone deaf, especially considering the top post on the subreddit (which we know they read) is along the lines of "Hey, I'm mute, I basically can't play this game because of no text chat!" No suggestion that this is at all a priority, just "Gosh why are people still asking this question." I know a lot of people have come to their defense with the accessibility law that is now a requirement but they're missing the key point that it's only a strict requirement to games that JUST started development. Ideally Anthem would be mostly compliant, but the law actually gives some pretty big leeway for games that were at least near completion when it went into effect. Also, I've not heard an actual dev bring that up as a reason so I'm skeptical.

I think they have some grand idea that everybody wants to communicate over voice and that's just like a weird hill to die on. Anyway, I really hope they come up with a real answer soon, or at least promise it sooner rather than later, because I could see this being a much more significant problem than silly things like demo bugs.

There is also the issue that a lot of female/transgender gamers have received harassment over voice comms and would greatly prefer text chat.

If the devs don't want to have text chat, give us a good contextual ping system (like Apex Legends) with a decent default response wheel (Yes, No, Thank You, etc.). Though if they went that route, they might as well just give us text chat.

Undead Monkey on
    SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Text chat is also a plague though. Like toxic fuckers make it an obnoxious play ground of shit fuckers. Its easier for people to just turn off voice than text since its usually more integrated in game mechanics.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    So is the voice chat enabled even with random players? How does that work with parental controls? My son will want to play this, but I'm not going to let him if he has to listen to people question his sexual orientation or whether or not my wife and I are married.

Ear3nd1l wrote: »
    So is the voice chat enabled even with random players? How does that work with parental controls? My son will want to play this, but I'm not going to let him if he has to listen to people question his sexual orientation or whether or not my wife and I are married.

In the demo voice chat was off by default as well

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    A tag or waypoint system would be a huge help. I tried to teach people how to do the glyph puzzle by firing at the spots on the wall whenever I got that mission in quickplay, but I don't think anybody ever noticed.

• KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

They've confirmed it will be on by default at release. And yes, for everyone. Obviously you can still turn it off.

Keep in mind that generally you're only dealing with up to 3 other people. The social hub can go up to 16? But I don't know if those are generally public lobbies. I'd bet they are, but we'll see.

• htmhtm Registered User regular
    I think they have some grand idea that everybody wants to communicate over voice and that's just like a weird hill to die on. Anyway, I really hope they come up with a real answer soon, or at least promise it sooner rather than later, because I could see this being a much more significant problem than silly things like demo bugs.

The problem with text chat is that recently passed US accessibility law requires that any game with text chat also support text-to-speech. So... for them to implement text chat is not straightforward.

You could (and probably should) make the argument that they've known about the new law for a while and should have had a solution in hand, but... here we are.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I play on console so text chat is usually never an option for me anyway.

But I fully understand the toxicity that comes from voice chat with randoms and understand why some people would want to avoid it altogether.

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    One of the first things I'll be doing is turn off voice chat and go to the PA Discord Anthem room.

steam_sig.png
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Just a ping system of sorts, in the demo I would find an elite boss while free-roaming and I wanted the other players in the map to know, but I was completely unable to communicate it.

• Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular

They've confirmed it will be on by default at release. And yes, for everyone. Obviously you can still turn it off.

Keep in mind that generally you're only dealing with up to 3 other people. The social hub can go up to 16? But I don't know if those are generally public lobbies. I'd bet they are, but we'll see.

Good to know you can turn it off, thanks. The last thing I want him to hear is a bunch of 12 year olds using racial slurs.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah...More games need to just take Apex Legends ping system now. I know it just came out like a couple of days ago but still.

htm wrote: »

The problem with text chat is that recently passed US accessibility law requires that any game with text chat also support text-to-speech. So... for them to implement text chat is not straightforward.

You could (and probably should) make the argument that they've known about the new law for a while and should have had a solution in hand, but... here we are.

I mentioned this in my post. As far as I know the law requires that any games entering development now that is in effect fully implement the changes. Any games that were already in development are given leeway, they're expected to comply as much as possible but the stage of development is taken into account. A game releasing less than 2 months after it went into effect is likely not going to get dinged for not having all the expected features.

Yes they should have been keeping the law in mind, but no it shouldn't actually be preventing them from having text chat.

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I'm struck by the notion that somewhere, somebody not only doesn't immediately disable voice chat or get reminded to do so by their buddies but will try to communicate with randomly assigned teammates. One of those teammates might even be me.

At this point, I consider public voice chat to be rude and will apologize if I accidentally inflict it on someone. It is like sidling into some poor bastard's den and giving their ear a friendly lick.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
    Basil wrote: »
    I'm struck by the notion that somewhere, somebody not only doesn't immediately disable voice chat or get reminded to do so by their buddies but will try to communicate with randomly assigned teammates. One of those teammates might even be me.

At this point, I consider public voice chat to be rude and will apologize if I accidentally inflict it on someone. It is like sidling into some poor bastard's den and giving their ear a friendly lick.

That's an oddly specific illustration. It sounds like you have either done this or had it happen to you... ??

• BasilBasil Registered User regular

That's an oddly specific illustration. It sounds like you have either done this or had it happen to you... ??

He swallowed his microphone into my darkest nightmare.

9KmX8eN.jpg

He swallowed his microphone into my darkest nightmare.

I don't even know how to respond to that... rofl

• QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    I like open comms when it's not people hot miccing their living room or whatever.

Had some genuinely good experiences.

• KoregKoreg Registered User regular

Do you let your dog lick your microphone while it's on?

So it's you who I played Pubg with....

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
    Koreg wrote: »

Do you let your dog lick your microphone while it's on?

So it's you who I played Pubg with....

No, but I do put my microphone under running water.

usually when I leave my mike on you hear me chatting with my wife about our young childs shits.

"oh god it was like a beef stew shotgun, I didn't know where to start, I just stared in horror. Oh shit guys rylocks."

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Everyone really wants that Jade Empire skin...
    Kana wrote: »
    I actually think I'll start with the ranger

I feel like it's going to be the least represented one, and I'm curious how it'll play once you start getting more interesting gear

Ranger seems like a good mech anyway. Solid durability with a more normally recharging always up shield good offensive ult solid weapons and powers. It has a very iron man vibe so I think it will always be pretty popular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdSZnehrC0U

Yeah Khraze goes over his "rankings" comparing the strenghts and weaknesses of the various javelin and he puts it just behind the colossus as far as his ranking (you can tell his list is the best because the storm is #1).

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Hope you guys don't mind the sound of a huge fan constantly whirring.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Hope you guys don't mind the sound of a huge fan constantly whirring.

Never bothers me since during the summer I have to run a fan constantly.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • CorbiusCorbius Shepard Registered User regular
    I have accidentally ended up in a like party voice chat in games because the mic on my PS camera will pick up me like telling my cat something and then someone else says "Hey man I'm not a jerk"

wrexsig1.jpg
    PSN: Corbius
    edited February 2019
    Yeah these days I don't deal with as much out and out toxicity in voice chat.

Its moreso dudes who think they're hot shit and that they're gonna carry(they aren't) and have terrible taste in music and really like weed.

Or 10 year olds.

Dragkonias on
    Decided to give Apex Legends a spin last night and the second match I get into some dude is like...I don't know maybe just chatting with a discord or something? We could hear it all but he's just like bsing over it and so me and the other person on the team were like "dude, stop"

He didn't stop. I have never been so glad to die and leave a match.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Decided to give Apex Legends a spin last night and the second match I get into some dude is like...I don't know maybe just chatting with a discord or something? We could hear it all but he's just like bsing over it and so me and the other person on the team were like "dude, stop"

Possible streamer? Also, some people are just really chatty or like to self narrate their lives like it's the Wonder Years.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    The few times I've had some random in voice chat they always seem to be vaping.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
    GONG-00 wrote: »

Possible streamer? Also, some people are just really chatty or like to self narrate their lives like it's the Wonder Years.

It sounded like he was talking to someone at least, was asking questions and such and seemingly getting a response. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt and not think he was just talking to himself. But who knows?

Either way, randoms voice chat has almost never been worth it imo.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »
    The few times I've had some random in voice chat they always seem to be vaping.

vape, then inexplicably think we all want to listen to their music, then chewing on the mic, then some screaming

• QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »

It sounded like he was talking to someone at least, was asking questions and such and seemingly getting a response. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt and not think he was just talking to himself. But who knows?

Either way, randoms voice chat has almost never been worth it imo.

Almost certainly discord without turning off proxy or such.

unrelatedly, last time I dealt with open mics was in RDR2 online. Tried out one of the death matches and got everybody calling the dude running around with just a knife "murder grandpa" and there was genuine mirth.

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Did the throw flare emote not ping the location?

steam_sig.png
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Most of the times I get someone who also has no idea his mic is on, and you're hearing their roomates or family talking in the background, and they're have no idea you're addressing them when telling them to stop.

Or modern day kids that are completely comfortable talking to people online, I had two matches in For Honor last night with what sounded like a 10 year old just chatting away, it wasn't bad or anything, just weird for me how kids are so comfortable with this now, since it happened twice with different kids.

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    The idea that games won’t be putting in text chat because they would need text to speak dosn’t really seem logical.

Because that would mean games at leaving out a fairly major feature because having to make it accessible for people with disabilities is too much work to be worth it, which is a crazy horrible statement to be making.

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Whenever we accidentally queue with open spaces in PUBG and I turn on teamchat it's usually some dude with music blasting who is yelling in Russian

Well, that's not entirely true. Often there are decent people, but I don't feel like being exposed to the 5% who are toxic, so I just leave voice chat off

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    The game seems mostly designed for consoles. Most consoles don't have text chat. Mystery solved.

What is this I don't even.
    I can't recall if either me multi had text chat or dragon age inquistion I think not.

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.