As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NBA] Thread: Dame Ascending to Final Form

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Also the NBA regular season is a joke

As is the NHL regular and the game after Opening Day thru July in the MLB season

Captain Inertia on
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular

It's been a very active trade deadline day but this appears to be the biggest trade of the day

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    FULTZ TO ORLANDO

Holy shit the Sixers FLEECED the magic

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Someone please check on @Knight_ I fear they died.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    What the fuck?

A 1st, 2nd, and Simmons for Fultz?

That's awful

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular

Meh, that 1st rounder probably has all kinds of protections on it.

Maximum wrote: »

Meh, that 1st rounder probably has all kinds of protections on it.

Funny, you're absolutely right:

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    The Knicks are buying out Wes Matthews and Enes Kanter today.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    idk

i think fultz still has a good player in there somewhere but i don't think it was ever going to happen on the sixers at this point because he's a headcase.

i hope he plays well for them even if it makes the sixers look even more incompetent wrt that trade than they already do. i'm mostly just bummed about the entire fultz situation and how badly the colangelos shot the organization in the foot at the behest of the nba.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    If it was never going to happen for the Sixers then getting anything for Fultz is a big win

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    edited February 2019
    ya, I don’t think this is bad only because I assumed they were going to waive him this summer. The coaching staff seemed totally done with fultz and the search for the mystery illness, and even if he does have whatever his current diagnosis is and comes back and is an all star and the Sixers got lit up again by the same trade somehow, I will just be sad that it didn’t work out.

It’s an awful situation for him in philly honestly, maybe Orlando will do better.

Edit: but this also makes me even more sure they’re going to try and max jimmy butler and boy that’s gonna be an albatross almost instantly.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • ph blakeph blake Registered User regular

Oh god, please, please let this happen

7h8wnycre6vs.png
    I hope Kanter keeps his work visa

• OctavianOctavian Registered User regular
    The Lakers are maybe done this year, and they have cap space available. So why not placate Lebron by throwing a little bit of cash at one of his friends. Does anyone remember in The Sopranos, when that horse got depressed, and so they gave him a goat friend? In this analogy, (and I never though I would type this), Carmelo is the goat.

Also, I'd like to report a crime, because Lebron DETROYED Giannis in the All Star draft. He somehow managed to pick all the guys he wants to come play with him, and ALSO end up with a much better roster.

PSN: TitusPullo13
    LeGM > GMannis, but he’s much more practiced at crafting teams I suppose heh.

I wanted to see Embiid and Davis on the same team just to see if they played together for 2 minutes for the luls. Twin towers plz

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Best part was when Lebron picked Davis and Giannis asked if it counted as tampering.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
    Woj is reporting that the Pelicans are going to "allow" AD to rejoin the team and play out the season.

That's good. I was worried that they both would want him to sit and that should be lame as hell.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Giannis is just going to make a shield wall of big men for Curry to shoot over.

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »

I think I heard Matthews is expected to sign with the Rockets?

Or some other not-portland place

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I've been listening to sports radio this week while doing traveling because I don't have the energy to do trade research myself

A show had Lonzo Ball's dad on today, and I'm like, why is anyone putting this guy on the air. Why do his opinions matter. His opinion is "whichever team hires my kids is the best, if my kid doesn't do well under a coach that coach sucks"

wow such insight

So It Goes wrote: »

Pacers nabbed him.

I've been listening to sports radio this week while doing traveling because I don't have the energy to do trade research myself

A show had Lonzo Ball's dad on today, and I'm like, why is anyone putting this guy on the air. Why do his opinions matter. His opinion is "whichever team hires my kids is the best, if my kid doesn't do well under a coach that coach sucks"

wow such insight

He generated a lot of traffic for news organizations around the draft because he’s a human hot take machine crossed with the worst kind of soccer parent.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    Small sample size for me as I haven't watched a Lakers game all season before tonight but I think they ought to hang on to this Kuzma kid.

I can't hate Lavar Ball too much. He's a dad who is super supportive of his kids and proud of them and believes they're the best. And maybe he takes that to the extreme, but that is a very dad thing and again, I can't hate him for that. I hate that the sports media loves to put him on the air, though.

• TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    I just scanned the list of trades and it seems I haven't been paying enough attention over the past few years. 70-80% of the names in those trades didn't mean anything to me.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Ehhhh... I don't the great Dad feeling when I listen to Lavar

I get the, "This is a guy who is full of shit who only cares about his brand over anything else and uses his kids to get on TV and talk a bunch of shit this furthering his brand."

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    LaVar is a dance mom

Lavarr's gambit with his stupid brand cost his son tens of millions of dollars. There is zero doubt Lonzo would have gotten at least a halfway decent shoe deal if not a good one coming out of college.

Lavarr has made everything worse for his sons' careers.

• BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Lavar is the Jerry Jones of sports dads. He wants his kids to succeed but he wants the world to know that he's the reason they did.

Jones is actually an ok GM. He's picked a lot of quality talent but he sucks at hiring coaches.

• burboburbo Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »

Pacers nabbed him.

Maaaaaan. I've kind of given up on the Blazers ever getting players that are actually meaningfully better than who they have, but I was hoping we could at least get a sentimental favorite. Nope. I guess not even that.

The Blazers are the West Coast Pacers

I was hoping the Pacers would make a play at Conley but I guess they don't want his contract until they know what's going to happen with Oladipo

• NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Ehhhh... I don't the great Dad feeling when I listen to Lavar

I get the, "This is a guy who is full of shit who only cares about his brand over anything else and uses his kids to get on TV and talk a bunch of shit this furthering his brand."

As someone who covered the Balls for 2+ years and interviewed Lavar at one point, I can say that this is pretty far from the truth. Lavar has always been family > everyone else, which has led him to butt heads whenever he disagreed with how people coached his sons (famously, the coach at Chino Hills quit rather than coach all 3 Ball brothers at once - the new coach came in and won a State Championship). He’s also honest in a way that you don’t see from a lot of parents at the college level - a lot of parents think the way Lavar does when it comes to their kids, but Lavar will actually say it out loud rather than grumble in private.

Now, do I agree with him on a lot of topics? Not really. But I’ve never thought of him being malicious, but rather doing what every parent tries to do, which is what they think the best thing is for their children.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    "Never attribute to malice what you can attribute to stupidity" is not exactly a rousing endorsement of character.

"Never attribute to malice what you can attribute to stupidity" is not exactly a rousing endorsement of character.

Yeah I'm not saying Lavarr tried to screw his son out of millions of dollars when he essentially turned the endorsement market against him I'm just saying that's what happened.

This discussion has been closed.