As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    I picked up Reverie under the moonlight it's another o
    Tangledeep is a really fun roguelike

It sure is! There is a lot of good stuff here. It’s a bit info-dense if you’re not used to an actual roguelike, I can tell I’m going to be sinking a TON of time into it

I want to play it but for some reason it keeps crashing and when it crashs it deletes my character =/

Hit up the developer. He's very active on Twitter/Discord and I'm betting he'll get to the bottom of it quickly.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Nintendo has been pretty good about repairing 3DS systems, you might try sending your broken Switch to them. You'll have to survive without for a while though, and definitely remove your SD and make sure you back up your saves somehow, because its not uncommon to get a wiped or different refurb system back. Get one month of NSO if you have to.

If this remodel is happening it is very likely coming this Fall (with Pokemon), so you will be in for quite a wait.

Oh my great good god, don't do that!

Disagree. Better to have an SD card that can be reformatted than not to have an SD card.

We are in the slightly less dark ages these days anyway. Everything purchased on the Switch eshop can be easily redownloaded, and save files reside completely on internal memory anyway so you need a system transfer or NSO to back those up, nothing to do with the SD card.

Oh yeah, that's right, Switch does it differently.

I stand firmly by my statement for 3DS, though.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I would follow whatever instructions Nintendo gives on that front, whether they want the SD card or not.

I would guess they probably don't want it in there for reasons like possibly giving you a whole new system and remembering to swap the card for you and all that. With how expensive SD cards can be, I wouldn't think they would want to be responsible for dealing with your 400 gig card you spent $100 on. But if you DO send it with it, they NEED to be responsible with it.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    I would follow whatever instructions Nintendo gives on that front, whether they want the SD card or not.

I would guess they probably don't want it in there for reasons like possibly giving you a whole new system and remembering to swap the card for you and all that. With how expensive SD cards can be, I wouldn't think they would want to be responsible for dealing with your 400 gig card you spent $100 on. But if you DO send it with it, they NEED to be responsible with it.

That'd be the expected thing, but you don't speak for their EULA, which likely states that they are not responsible for the loss of additional peripherals sent without need. Only replying since it seems you're saying they should be legally responsible in some way, and this forum shouldn't mislead people like that.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Seems like my Tangledeep issue is that you need to exit the game via save and quit to keep your progress and my "Start a new character and then play until it crashs." is resulting in me not actually saving so just making sure to save and quit to menu and reload has fixed my issue.

• Options
    DaringDirk wrote: »

That'd be the expected thing, but you don't speak for their EULA, which likely states that they are not responsible for the loss of additional peripherals sent without need. Only replying since it seems you're saying they should be legally responsible in some way, and this forum shouldn't mislead people like that.

I forgot about EULAs absolving of any responsibility on that front. But I didn't mean to imply that they would take care of the stuff you send them, I'm saying ethically they should whether they are absolved of responsibility or not.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    EULAs do not automatically absolve you of all legal responsibilities, court decisions are stilly fairly inconsistent on their worth.

Good luck putting together a suit for a $100ish item but, still.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    That seems too abstract an idea to sell well. Nothing like "eyy Mario is in the box too!"

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    That seems too abstract an idea to sell well. Nothing like "eyy Mario is in the box too!"

It'll sell at least as well if not better than regular switch though

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's basically 2 indie games if chosen frugally. I agree it doesn't have the flare of an actual pack in. But it's a nice way to get started. If the packaging shows some examples of the sorts of games you could put it towards, that would help.

• Options
    GrebnuGrebnu Registered User regular
    That would be awesome actually, could get a few indie games. Better than a Mario Kart or Smash bundle too, at least for someone like me who either does not care (kart) or absolutely loathes (Smash) bundled game.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I think since the attachment rate of both Mario Kart and Smash is so high, they should just bundle the console with both games and sell it at a discount. I guess that is an option when sales for the Switch die out, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

A bunch of Infinity Engine classics coming to console.

Unfortunately, they haven't yet announced which consoles, but the Switch is known for getting ports of old games by now, so fingers crossed.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Whoa!

I didn't enjoy Torment on my phone, because the text was hard to read and the world was hard to interact with, so I don't know if I'd really enjoy it on the Switch (which has a screen that's not much bigger than my phone's), but man, the novelty factor is enough for me to take a look, if it ever comes to the Switch. I suppose having dedicated buttons for inputs would also make the experience feel better.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I've never played Torment. I want to play Torment. Put Torment on the Switch, and I'll play it.

• Options
    If those come to switch they are instant buys for me holy hell.

• Options
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    I've never played Torment. I want to play Torment. Put Torment on the Switch, and I'll play it.

If you've never played other games in that engine like Baldur's Gate, I'd say be prepared for some combat-related headaches getting in the way of an otherwise amazing story.

I mean it's not unbearable but it feels like most people agree the combat is the worst part of the game and feels more like an afterthought or obstacle to all the amazing questing and dialogue and descriptions.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

If you've never played other games in that engine like Baldur's Gate, I'd say be prepared for some combat-related headaches getting in the way of an otherwise amazing story.

I mean it's not unbearable but it feels like most people agree the combat is the worst part of the game and feels more like an afterthought or obstacle to all the amazing questing and dialogue and descriptions.

I have many times said that if there is one game in the world that isn't one but would be indisputably improved by becoming a walking simulator or visual novel, it is Planescape Torment.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    It's kinda tough because I personally love D&D rulesets and spells and all that. I enjoyed the combat, but a lot of people don't. It's a good one to save scum, probably.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWSH_1gSDbk

Western release of Atelier Lulua confirmed for May 21.

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    I remember as a teenager I save scummed all the infinity engine combat. But back then they were some of my first RPGs, and my very first tactical game. I never played X-Com, or console RPGs, or the Gold Box Games at that time. I had played Might & Magic 6, and that was it.

Playing through the games as an adult, I find the tactical combat laughably easy in many cases, but with all the glorious jank of an older RPG ruleset. It's endearing.

As a kid I was too lazy to properly buff or debuff. I'd spam potions of speed and that was about it. Or figure out where the enemies were, reload, and then spam fireballs into the fog of war from total safety.

As an adult I make liberal use of bless/curse, entangle, sleep, summons, you name it. Some of the caster versus caster battles are the best as you try to constantly dispel and silence the opposing casters, and they do the same to you. The Magic User at the bottom of the Cloakwood Mines especially stands out.

I think the most absolute key point of the system is that every spell has a casting time, and if you hit a Magic User or Cleric enough times while they are casting, it ruins the spell. Darts can be great for that as they have an incredibly high rate of fire. Magic Missile is great too as it casts almost instantaneously, and has multiple 100% chance to hit projectiles.

I guess what I'm saying is, don't sell the combat short. IMHO I like the combat of the older infinity engine games a lot more than the newer infinity engine inspired games. Because warriors are warriors, thieves are thieves, and everyone has their role. In newer games it feels like every character has 1 bazillion special abilities which might as well be spells. I liked it better when you usually had 2 casters, and everyone else's job was to make sure they didn't die, and they got their spells cast.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    -Atelier trailer-

Western release of Atelier Lulua confirmed for May 21.

Ooooh!

I really rather enjoy the Atelier games.

Sure they're not the most graphically impressive games out there, the combat isn't the deepest and the story isn't thought provoking or powerful but the games are comfy as fuck.

After a long day at work an Atelier game is a delight to come home to.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular

Does having gold box experience help? I played the shit out of Curse of the Azure Bonds as a kid.

• Options

Does having gold box experience help? I played the shit out of Curse of the Azure Bonds as a kid.

It probably means you will be more tolerant toward the gameplay and able to deal with systems that don't feel as well-balanced as what we have today. But the difference is that it's real-time-with-pause, sort of like KOTOR. Combat is really fast and deadly unless you pause often to make strategic decisions.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Are those games I'm going to enjoy playing with a controller though? 'Cuz I'm remembering Baldur's Gate, and I don't know how well that's going to work.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    If those are in a pack all together, that's an insane amount of classic roleplaying content.

Also I was like "where's Icewind Dale 2 though?" and I have learned something.

https://kotaku.com/nobody-can-find-the-source-code-for-icewind-dale-ii-1796724450

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    If those are in a pack all together, that's an insane amount of classic roleplaying content.

https://kotaku.com/nobody-can-find-the-source-code-for-icewind-dale-ii-1796724450

Yeah, devs back in the day didn't have to git gud, so all sorts of things have been lost over time...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Yeah, devs back in the day didn't have to git gud, so all sorts of things have been lost over time...
    :+1:

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    So...Modern Combat 5 is launching on the Switch. I guess I was looking for Switch shooters but...I'm not sure this is what I had in mind.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    You think Baldur's Gate is old school? Try Commander Fucking Keen.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    You think Baldur's Gate is old school? Try Commander Fucking Keen.

American me: "oh hey look it's coming out in July"

• Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    RPG-wise I'm kind of excited to play Final fantasy 9 again. Wanna see how well it holds up.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edzepp wrote: »
    RPG-wise I'm kind of excited to play Final fantasy 9 again. Wanna see how well it holds up.

Battle system is slower than you remember. Graphics look rough but are totally playable. Story slows midway through, but I like it throughout.

Honestly it's a pretty solid game still

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    edzepp wrote: »

Battle system is slower than you remember. Graphics look rough but are totally playable. Story slows midway through, but I like it throughout.

Honestly it's a pretty solid game still

Zidane is my all time favorite JPRG protag. His emotional intelligence and cunning make him a man among boys. I detest so many of these male fulfillment fantasies of young men, staring into space, not knowing where babies come from while chicks throw their vaginas at them.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Ugh, yes. Give me more protagonists who aren't stupid for the sake of exposition.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Has anyone tried out Feudal alloy or have any opinions on it?

• Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    Are those games I'm going to enjoy playing with a controller though? 'Cuz I'm remembering Baldur's Gate, and I don't know how well that's going to work.

Also wanting to know this. Cautiously optimistic?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Has anyone tried out Feudal alloy or have any opinions on it?

it has fish controlling robots.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png