As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Marvel] Thread: Now in WandaVision!

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I actually think t
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Apparently Mike Deodato announced at a panel in Brazil back in December that he is leaving Marvel this year to pursue writing and drawing his own projects

I'm assuming it wasn't widely covered because it was at a Brazilian convention and the sites reporting it are in Portugese, but it appears to be legit

To be honest, that is great news but not for the reason I assume Deodato would hope. His art has been plummeting downhill since his Thunderbolts days and has only gotten worse, and he is treated as one of their go-to big artists so hopefully someone better will start getting that shot.

I'm assuming his FCBD story will likely be one of this last works with Marvel, as it would be silly for him to launch whatever book it is setting up if he is out by the end of the year.

Remember when they were introducing RiRi with his art, and her Iron Man was just a suit of Fallout Power Armor?

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    For how bad the first arc of UXM was, I loved 11

• GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I'm curious to see if his art stops being as poser referenced when he is on his own stuff/less stringent deadlines

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • never dienever die Registered User regular
    For how bad the first arc of UXM was, I loved 11

Don’t tell me that, I just got out!

....what was the gist of the issue?

edited February 2019
    Cyclops having an extended breakdown over the disappearance of the x-men

And the second rosenberg got sole control over the book Layla Miller reappeared

Dude is an XF mark

WeedLordVegeta on
    ....Fuck.

Fuck.

There's some stuff I don't love about it but it leaves a much better first impression than disassembled

...I think I have the willpower to wait for the trade. If it’s continually good I’ll swing back around and pick it up then.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Zdarsky's Daredevil was super low-key and character focused for a debut issue in modern comics and it worked really, really well.
    The biggest action scene in the book is Matt fighting 3 regular robbers going after a liquor store and discovering he isn't fully healed after almost dying at the end of Soule's run. He gets super sloppy and is almost killed by them.

The whole issue alternates between showing the downward spiral Matt refuses to admit he is caught in (he is mixing painkillers and alcohol, having casual hook-ups very regularly with women he just met and is slipping and nearly plummeting to his death making simple jumps from rooftop to rooftop, for example) and flashbacks to Matt speaking to his childhood priest through his younger years about the justification of breaking man's laws and when the use of violence crosses from just to violence for violence's sake.

The issue ends with Mayor Fisk watching a news report about Daredevil's return, while Matt is passed out in his bed covered in blood and half out of his costume. Which concludes with the news anchor saying that one of the robbers Matt fought has died of brain trauma.

It is grim, and very dark but given that it is Daredevil it works perfectly and Chechetto's art manages to be completely gorgeous while also feeling grimy and dirty on every page.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Zdarsky's Daredevil was super low-key and character focused for a debut issue in modern comics and it worked really, really well.
    The biggest action scene in the book is Matt fighting 3 regular robbers going after a liquor store and discovering he isn't fully healed after almost dying at the end of Soule's run. He gets super sloppy and is almost killed by them.

The whole issue alternates between showing the downward spiral Matt refuses to admit he is caught in (he is mixing painkillers and alcohol, having casual hook-ups very regularly with women he just met and is slipping and nearly plummeting to his death making simple jumps from rooftop to rooftop, for example) and flashbacks to Matt speaking to his childhood priest through his younger years about the justification of breaking man's laws and when the use of violence crosses from just to violence for violence's sake.

The issue ends with Mayor Fisk watching a news report about Daredevil's return, while Matt is passed out in his bed covered in blood and half out of his costume. Which concludes with the news anchor saying that one of the robbers Matt fought has died of brain trauma.

It is grim, and very dark but given that it is Daredevil it works perfectly and Chechetto's art manages to be completely gorgeous while also feeling grimy and dirty on every page.

Has anyone read the bridge mini-series, Man Without Fear? I'm curious if that is worth a pick-up.

edited February 2019
    i finally have read judas by jeff loveness

i wept by the end

holy shit what an amazingly powerful book

I 100% blame you for me being teary eyed and making spaghetti right now.

Instead of buying UXM I bought the Judas tpb instead.

never die on
    Oh no now I know how he feels about Support the Girls

CYpGAPn.png
    Oh no now I know how he feels about Support the Girls

Huh?

I have been banging the drum of Judas since it came out

Which is what @Rorshach Kringle has been doing with the movie Support the Girls

And there is a running in-joke about no one hearing about that movie until someone other than RK mentions it

CYpGAPn.png
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    i'm a goddamned trendsetter

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    i'm a goddamned trendsetter

Gotta get that influencer money, Annika Attwater.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    I have been banging the drum of Judas since it came out

Which is what @Rorshach Kringle has been doing with the movie Support the Girls

And there is a running in-joke about no one hearing about that movie until someone other than RK mentions it

Oh, that makes sense.

Spiderverse fucking rules

aGPmIBD.jpg
    Gustav wrote: »
    Spiderverse fucking rules
    It is the best superhero movie

CYpGAPn.png
    Definitely since the rise of the MCU. Though I think I'm still eternally a Spider-Man 2 guy.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    It'll always be The Shadow for me.

Zonugal on
    i did that image comics humble bundle and now i have 24 volumes of spawn to read in order to prepare for the movie

i am pretty sure i get to see sam and twitch's dicks

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    i did that image comics humble bundle and now i have 24 volumes of spawn to read in order to prepare for the movie

i am pretty sure i get to see sam and twitch's dicks

Thought of you immediately when I saw that bundle

You know that X-Men arc where Jubilee got turned into a vampire and they fought Dracula and it sounded great on paper but was actually super disappointing and nothing really cool happened?

The current Avengers arc is basically the same concept except done correctly and it is very rad:
    4deeejc6nu3n.jpg
    q2hza4bqp0mb.jpg
    cf54951lm1cu.jpg

And it features something folks have been asking for for like a decade:
    kvswksskftdq.jpg
    CLASSIC DRAC IS BACK

CYpGAPn.png
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    That dueling narration between Tony and T'Challa is fantastic

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I would like to note that if you burn a bunch of people alive in a church that will not render their corpses deep fried, they would be roasted or perhaps baked

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    I would like to note that if you burn a bunch of people alive in a church that will not render their corpses deep fried, they would be roasted or perhaps baked

Maybe this church has a whole lot of Chrism in it

Nice to see Captain America going full Paladin.

Straightzi wrote: »
    Jason Aaron gets a lot of praise for how good he is at gigantic bombastic action and set pieces so it is easy to forget he is really good at getting into character's heads

He immediately establishes the core differences between Tony and T'Challa in a single page

CYpGAPn.png
    You know that X-Men arc where Jubilee got turned into a vampire and they fought Dracula and it sounded great on paper but was actually super disappointing and nothing really cool happened?

The current Avengers arc is basically the same concept except done correctly and it is very rad:
    4deeejc6nu3n.jpg
    q2hza4bqp0mb.jpg
    cf54951lm1cu.jpg

kvswksskftdq.jpg
    CLASSIC DRAC IS BACK
    where's

the

mustache

6vjsgrerts6r.png

4deeejc6nu3n.jpg
    q2hza4bqp0mb.jpg
    cf54951lm1cu.jpg

kvswksskftdq.jpg
    CLASSIC DRAC IS BACK
    where's

the

mustache
    He is going through a very stressful time and hair loss is common in undead of his age

CYpGAPn.png
  • EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I'm going to have to remember Jason Aaron's Avengers for whenever I feel comfortable buying Marvel comics again, I haven't seen anything from it that I don't love

4deeejc6nu3n.jpg
    q2hza4bqp0mb.jpg
    cf54951lm1cu.jpg

kvswksskftdq.jpg
    CLASSIC DRAC IS BACK
    where's

the

mustache
    He says right in that panel that he's lost everything!

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Every time I hear about Jason Aaron's Avengers this is all I can think of:

8eLERKg.png

• HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

Cap too...I cant recall a two page spread that so perfectly summed up those character's motives.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
    Having slept on it. The secret MVP of Spiderverse was Prowler's terrifying sound cue

aGPmIBD.jpg
    Aaron gets T'Challa on a pretty deep level

In 12 when T'Challa is forming the agents of Wakanda,
    Odin calls him a champion of the forgotten before the book cuts to a panel of American Eagle, Dr. Nemesis and Fat Cobra.

Which like, before 15 years ago, who could actually consider Black Panther as an A-Lister? He's absolutely right.

It is very obvious Aaron has been dying to write T'Challa for a very long time now, probably since he did that Secret Invasion 2-parter way back when

Avengers is the perfect place to do it. I definitely think Black Panther, the solo titles, should be a place for black creators to shine going forward, and Aaron is white as hell. Avengers lets him put T'Challa dead center in the Marvel Universe while also doing cool shit with the Agents of Wakanda and Ghost Rider and whatnot.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    In case anybody hadn't heard, that Secret Invasion: Black Panther two parter is hell of rad.

i always wonder where black panther's stock would look like if that wesley snipes movie hadn't fallen apart.

6vjsgrerts6r.png

This discussion has been closed.