As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

join us in glorious pod-hood [jobs]

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    https://www.grammarly.com/blog/comma-before-but/

"didn't think the business was very busy." isn't a separate clause. It can be, if you were to use the comma it should read "...come and go, but she didn't think..." but without the redundant "she" you shouldn't use the comma.

Correct examples that are similar from that page:
    "Grammar is boring but necessary."
    "Grammar is boring, but it’s necessary."

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Alright, I'm feeling the comma after "lobby" now per the sequence of dependent before independent clauses.

Once that comma is there, the comma before "but" seems more correct.

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Job interview get!

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    2Hl5vJ9l.jpg
    I’m ready for next week.

yNoVSCRl.jpg
    I originally wanted the face to be negative space, but it didn’t look right, so I put these yellow squares in to fill it out.

ctWEG8Ol.jpg
    But that didn’t look right either and thankfully I found some orange squares and I think this is good enough.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    At first I assumed that was a metroid.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

I didn’t see it, probably because I made it and knew what it was, but at least 1 coworker and 1 friends have said the same thing.... so it must be a common enough similarity.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    Stragint wrote: »
    I think my soda drinking has finally caught up to me. Pretty sure I'm dealing with gout right now. The area around my big toe's joint has been in some pretty extreme pain. I can't bend my foot up.

I really need to get a job so I can have insurance and find out for sure.

Craigslist has some pretty promising job openings so I'm starting to feel kind of hopeful again with this job search.

I had this problem and thought it was gout and it turned out to be walking in shoes without sufficient arch support. So it might be worth investing in some insoles to see if that solves the problem.

That could be it. the only shoes I've been wearing are ancient and I can feel the ground through the soles. I also haven't really been wearing shoes over the last few weeks, just flip flops. My brother has had this issue every now and then and the doctors said he doesn't have gout.

Either way I'll be buying new shoes with arch support.

Thank you for the advice.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Hmm my interview is in the IT department, where they have a bunch of white boards and that like write on glass.

Maybe I should brush up on my Fizzbuzz this weekend

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Hmm my interview is in the IT department, where they have a bunch of white boards and that like write on glass.

Maybe I should brush up on my Fizzbuzz this weekend

Sounds just completely inappropriate for the job your interviewing so that means it is probably a lock to be asked.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    I've been proofread! Here's the kind of sentence she wants me to put a comma in:

"While waiting in the lobby she saw a few other people come and go but didn't think the business was very busy."

She think's it's incorrect, and that it should be:

"While waiting in the lobby she saw a few other people come and go, but didn't think the business was very busy."

I feel like her comma isn't wrong, but it's unnecessary, so I don't want it there.

"While waiting in the lob,by she saw a few other people come and go b,ut didn't think the business was very busy."

Is correct IMO.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Kaplar wrote: »
    I've been proofread! Here's the kind of sentence she wants me to put a comma in:

"While waiting in the lobby she saw a few other people come and go but didn't think the business was very busy."

She think's it's incorrect, and that it should be:

"While waiting in the lobby she saw a few other people come and go, but didn't think the business was very busy."

I feel like her comma isn't wrong, but it's unnecessary, so I don't want it there.

"While waiting in the lob,by she saw a few other people come and go b,ut didn't think the business was very busy."

Is correct IMO.

*eyetwitch*

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I forgot the podthread was a thing so now I get the thread title reference!

On another note I've been putting feelers out for getting out of here, sustaining isn't fun so I think it's time to move on for good. Boss is trying to fix things, bless him, but it's only a matter of time. But a friend has an opening on their team and a few recruiters have called back so here's hoping.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Ugh I'm zoning out hard today, think the last couple days of nonstop work are catching up to me

Might just end up doing the bare minimum for the rest of today since it seems quieter

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    So far I have not accomplished much working from home. I did finish all of my training yesterday and today I met with a vendor but I'd much rather be around other people instead of isolated. Oh well, at least i'm getting full pay now and I have excellent benefits...

Anyone used freelancing sites like Upwork? Their cut seems pretty steep.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Argh.

I started out on team "While waiting in the lobby, she saw a few other people come and go, but didn't think the business was very busy."

Now I've come all the way around to no commas at all, and I usually love commas.

This is "how do you write your X'es" all over again.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    I apologize in advance if/when this comes off as a long-winded rant, I'm having an especially hard time this week. Spoiler'd if'n you hate walls of text.
    I Am Burned Out. Let's just get that out of the way. I am definitely smack in the middle of burning out, and have been for...months, or more?

For context, I'm in Higher-Ed and the group I'm in (until about 1 year ago) only supported a non-Windows platform, only in academic departments. In our group we have a Department Director (DD), and the Technical Director (TD). Depending on who you talk to or where you look, I report to the Director, or the Technical Director, or both.
    On paper it's myself --> DD --> VP of IT. I've been at this company for just shy of 16 years.

I used to be a sysadmin when my group was small. I was a bit of a jack-of-all-trades, handling sysadmin tasks as well as all things helpdesk. As our group grew we reached the point where we needed somebody to supervise our helpdesk staff, and (having been the only helpdesk person for a period) I was the logical choice. I still retained sysadmin duties, this was just an added thing.

More expansion, we promoted a helpdesk guy to sysadmin, transferred in a sysadmin, started supporting Windows in addition to the platform we'd been supporting, hired more helpdesk staff, I was promoted to manager overseeing (now 6) helpdesk staff. Technical director manages the (now 3) sysadmins.

During the expansions, my sysadmin responsibilities diminished as my managerial responsibilities grew. I was still considered...for lack of a better word, "worthy" of sysadmin tasks by the TD. Almost all of this stopped around when I was officially promoted to manager. TD stopped checking in with me, but would occasionally stop by my office (as mine was next to his office) and let me know about various changes and projects. This also ended after "we" reorganized the offices so that the sysadmins could be closer to the TD. I was initially told I would be involved in the planning of the office layouts, but a week later I was told by the DD that I would be losing my office and moved into had been a storage room. I was promised by the DD and TD that the TD would make every effort to regularly check in with me regarding departmental changes and projects, this has not happened. In fact, since I moved into my new "office" (everyone in our group walks through my area to get to the storage area, even though it has a separate door), neither the TD or DD communicates with me regularly, the TD barely at all.

I've brought up the lack of communication with the DD, trying to use examples to illustrate where we could improve communication, how it could be improved, etc. but the answer comes back in one of two ways; We have an all-hands meeting, or we have a "L3 meeting".

The all-hands meetings leave me feeling worse than I felt going in. The DD reminds everyone that the chain of command goes "helpdesk" -> Myself -> TD -> DD and "sysadmins" -> TD -> DD, effectively negating my managerial authority. Additionally, all of the helpdesk staff have it reiterated to them that they should go to any sysadmin or TD with any questions, and that the "sysadmins" should be considered project managers. It has also been told to me by the DD, per the request of the TD that I am not to make requests of sysadmins directly, I should go through the TD. The TD and sysadmins, however, are allowed to pull any helpdesk staff who report to me at any time, and do not need to go through me. "L3 Meetings" are much the same, as all the L3's (sysadmins) report to TD. So it becomes DD, TD & TD's team (who semi-regularly meet), only discussing the bare minimum as they all are already aware of current plans and projects. Questions, concerns, or plans, I bring up are instantly criticized (many times not constructively) and picked apart.

Much of my "responsibility" has become "accountability". i.e. "Why did/did not helpdesk do xyz?, TD says that helpdesk should/should not have done abc, but they did bcd, why? Helpdesk should know qrs, why don't they? (Usually, qrs was never explained to myself or helpdesk). I've mostly become the guy that collects time sheets and is on the hook to answer for when one of my reports does something "wrong".

I know the answer. It's "leave". But my confidence is shot. My technical abilities have slipped, I don't have a strong Windows-based knowledge so I'm even more limited there, I don't even have a degree. I'm (hopefully) 1 semester away from an AA in CIS, but I've learned practically nothing (Community College has really gone down hill, I had no idea), and I'll be 40 next year. Management positions seemingly want more technical experience than I can prove, and I don't have a lot of provable management experience either. I can put down near 7 years management experience in my position but I have so little to show for it, i.e. completed projects, successful initiatives, etc. I think I've interviewed...maybe 5 times in the last 15 years?

like what I do, I like IT in general, I love figuring out processes and refining them. I know I'm not going to get anywhere at my current employer anymore, but I don't know where to go or what job to do. Should I be looking at Project Management? The ubiquitous fields of Big Data or The Cloud™?

tl;dr I saw a guy riding a kids scooter on the street one day. He kicked so hard that the entire thing exploded in a shower of scooter parts and shoes.

Huh...
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    Argh.

I started out on team "While waiting in the lobby, she saw a few other people come and go, but didn't think the business was very busy."

Now I've come all the way around to no commas at all and I usually love commas.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    My master woodworker got himself a third fucking DUI.

God damn it.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Usually Thursdays are quiet but today we’ve had people lining out the door...

Everyone is taking this storm seriously, which is good! Best to be prepared. It’s just funny to see how many people prioritize weed in times like these. :)

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Parent/Teacher conferences tonight. School is providing sub par food.

Several JROTC kids just smuggled me in a bunch of pizza and a 2 liter of mountain dew for free on their own volition.

The kids are alright.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    Usually Thursdays are quiet but today we’ve had people lining out the door...

Everyone is taking this storm seriously, which is good! Best to be prepared. It’s just funny to see how many people prioritize weed in times like these. :)

The fuck am I gonna do with all these french toast supplies if I'm not totally blazed?

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    So after coming back from vacation, my first day back was the superbowl, then two days of massive callouts due to the snow/ice. So yesterday, things are mostly back to normal, except for being busier than usual because we've got more snow inbound and people were stocking up. All morning I've been laser-focused and full of energy and purpose, which gives me resting "I'm going to murder you." face.

Around 12:30, I get a chance to take my first break, but FedEx shows up. I take the package, go grab my coat (because it's cold), go into the main office, drop the box on the main desk, throw my coat on, and before I can get a word out one of my bosses blurts out, with worried eyes, "Are you quitting?!".

I just kinda half-smiled, said no, I'm going on my break, about-faced and marched out of the office. I was laughing about that reaction all day.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Argh.

Now I've come all the way around to no commas at all, and I usually love commas.

Honestly, since it sounds like this is a creative writing piece it can be pretty much whatever the writer wants - there's reasonable justification for none, one in either spot, or both, depending on what kind of pacing the writer is going for. The most awkward to me would be having a comma only after lobby, and having both commas makes it feel a little too choppy. I'd be most likely to put in the comma before but to give a little rest in the middle of a fairly lengthy sentence, but as long as the writer gets the intended effect across I'd be unlikely to call any of them "wrong" if I were proofing someone else.

• Options
    I saw a dude in my office today who looked like you, @Weaver. It was very weird. Also a bit worrying considering we do a lot of insurance defense.

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I saw a dude in my office today who looked like you, @Weaver. It was very weird. Also a bit worrying considering we do a lot of insurance defense.

I've been at home all day, and as far as I know, have been nowhere near the pod.

• Options
    I’ll have to have a word with this impostor.

Or not because I think he left.

• Options
    But that could mean he's on his way...home.

*prepares defenses*

• Options
    Hoo
    Argh.

Honestly, since it sounds like this is a creative writing piece it can be pretty much whatever the writer wants - there's reasonable justification for none, one in either spot, or both, depending on what kind of pacing the writer is going for. The most awkward to me would be having a comma only after lobby, and having both commas makes it feel a little too choppy. I'd be most likely to put in the comma before but to give a little rest in the middle of a fairly lengthy sentence, but as long as the writer gets the intended effect across I'd be unlikely to call any of them "wrong" if I were proofing someone else.

I'm glad you made this point. The example I chose makes it look like a creative writing piece when in fact it is practically the complete opposite. I definitely had the feeling that adding commas made it look more like a story, and that is not my intent.

This is more like a transcription of a person's verbal statement. My goal is to make a record of it in an accurate and uninteresting manner. Now that I put it that way, I think I have more insight as to why my analyst wants to add more commas. The high school English teacher perspective is going to focus more on the style of essays, whereas what I'm writing would be more accurately described as a memo or report. The voice is different.

• Options
    Also, retirement lunch done! It really just hit me on the drive back to my office that I'll likely never see my boss again and that made me a little sad. He's been a good one.

I had a French dip with truffle tater tots and I'm going to have trouble keeping my eyes open here pretty soon. Doesn't help that it looks like I'm the only one who came back to work.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I subbed for a teacher today who wrote their sub plans with truly terrible syntax.

I couldn't understand them, none of the students could understand them.

It was like they were written by Charlie Kelly.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I subbed for a teacher today who wrote their sub plans with truly terrible syntax.

How were the commas?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Parent/Teacher conferences tonight. School is providing sub par food.

Several JROTC kids just smuggled me in a bunch of pizza and a 2 liter of mountain dew for free on their own volition.

The kids are alright.

Bribery comes in forms beyond mere currency.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

How were the commas?

There were none.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Argh.

I'm glad you made this point. The example I chose makes it look like a creative writing piece when in fact it is practically the complete opposite. I definitely had the feeling that adding commas made it look more like a story, and that is not my intent.

This is more like a transcription of a person's verbal statement. My goal is to make a record of it in an accurate and uninteresting manner. Now that I put it that way, I think I have more insight as to why my analyst wants to add more commas. The high school English teacher perspective is going to focus more on the style of essays, whereas what I'm writing would be more accurately described as a memo or report. The voice is different.

Ah, I see! Yeah in that case, it's totally understandable to want to add those commas. It definitely breaks things up to make it more readable and easy to follow, if nothing else.

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Perrsun wrote: »

I didn’t see it, probably because I made it and knew what it was, but at least 1 coworker and 1 friends have said the same thing.... so it must be a common enough similarity.

I didn't notice the bottom row of gray blocks until the yellow was filled in.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    It's a pretty standard thing for my coworkers and supervisors to know when I'm looking for other jobs, because it's state work and it's pretty much expected that you're going to advance as far as you're able to.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    My email yesterday:

Hello,

I have not heard back from support either by email or by phone. I left voice messages last week.

I was unable to properly process payroll for Company X due to a change in bank accounts. I first requested assistance with this two weeks ago.

Please assist me in forwarding my questions to the correct people.

Best regards

Rachel

Their reply today:

Thank you for writing in and our apologies for the delay - it’s not our intention for it to seem like we’re ignoring you - we’ve been busy.

I’m not sure what we can do to assist you with Company X. Could you give me a call so we may discuss this?

- signed, no name.

:|

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    My email yesterday:

Hello,

I have not heard back from support either by email or by phone. I left voice messages last week.

I was unable to properly process payroll for Company X due to a change in bank accounts. I first requested assistance with this two weeks ago.

Best regards

Rachel

Their reply today:

Thank you for writing in and our apologies for the delay - it’s not our intention for it to seem like we’re ignoring you - we’ve been busy.

I’m not sure what we can do to assist you with Company X. Could you give me a call so we may discuss this?

- signed, no name.

Do you, or someone else have the name of your sales rep with the company?

Sales may not be people but they are the ones who can get proper remedies for situations like this.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    My email yesterday:

Hello,

Best regards

Rachel

Their reply today:

- signed, no name.

Time to bring that to the owners and be all "We're switching companies yo".

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Oh shit, almost forgot. This is relevant to @Janson

On our vacation trip, we drove past Discovery Bay Cannibas, which is made out of old rail cars.

This discussion has been closed.