As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Ace Combat Thread (NSF56k)

• swphreakswphreak Registered User regular
    It’s amazing what having a proper attacker will do for ground missions.

I’m liking AC7 so far. The story is definitely bonkers and not their best stuff, but the gameplay makes up for it.

Shame multiplayer didn’t have any co-op or PVE scenarios.

I also wish I could replay missions with unlimited time so I could systematically eliminate everything on the map. The fleet destruction mission was very satisfying.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    swphreak wrote: »
    It’s amazing what having a proper attacker will do for ground missions.

I’m liking AC7 so far. The story is definitely bonkers and not their best stuff, but the gameplay makes up for it.

Shame multiplayer didn’t have any co-op or PVE scenarios.

I also wish I could replay missions with unlimited time so I could systematically eliminate everything on the map. The fleet destruction mission was very satisfying.

Those are always my favorite missions in Ace Combat games, the ones where there's a shit ton of interesting ground targets and you just gotta blow everything up.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Yeah, those first couple Annihilation missions in AC7 where players can just cut loose and go nuts with our lord and savior Pope Warthog are absolute gaming bliss.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    warthog was fun, but i also greatly enjoyed taking the rockets on the F-2 to stuff. they blanket a pretty big area and it feels nice.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Just finished mission 15 and that was a lot of fun.

You get to do a little bit of everything.

Worked my way through to the SU- tree, will probably start on the F-15 next to see what the skins I unlocked look like.

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    grabbed the f/a 18 last night and am working along the line to eventually get the F-35 and eventually the F-22

I was looking at how much some of those later planes cost and god damn

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular

Air-Burst missiles are civilization.

Awesome for multiplayer. Sad no plane in the SU/MiG tree has them.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    "Deliveries of the F-35 for the U.S. military are scheduled until 2037[22] with a projected service life up to 2070"

holy shit

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • ErrorError Registered User regular
    Not the first ones they got. Reports of only 2100 expected flight hours for the initial batch, far below expectations.

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/26269/usmcs-older-f-35bs-may-only-be-able-to-fly-around-a-quarter-of-their-expected-service-life

ha ya I was just reading about that.

the F-35 program mixed with the F-22 program, what a gigantic cluster

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    "Deliveries of the F-35 for the U.S. military are scheduled until 2037[22] with a projected service life up to 2070"

holy shit

the b-52 finds this projected service life quaint and adorable.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Maybe they'll actually work by 2070

3basnids3lf9.jpg

edited February 2019
    I am having a hell of a time completing the mission requirements to unlock the aces in missions 10, 16 and 18.
    In mission 10 I know you can use the contrails of SAMs fired at the VIP to hunt them down but it doesn't happen fast enough. 16 seems to make use of holding down the look button to ID targets as you fly towards them so it takes less time but racking up the score count just doesn't seem possible, and 18 requires total destruction of all forces in 2.30 minutes? Is there a nuke I don't know about?

Error on
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    If you have access to them I've found that pulse lasers make things much much easier when you're on a time limit.

Their range/travel speed/damage lets you clear a lot of enemies fast.

I have gotten very far in this game using first the F-15C with it's pulse laser and then the SU-57 with it's version. I have found that they are excellent in certain situations, like against drones, because the game is expecting missiles and doesn't start evading soon enough. Even online I get a fair number of kills using them. But in these three missions I have tried missiles and bombs and lasers. Nothing is working for me. I haven't tried rockets yet and I haven't tried an all gun run.

I will keep plugging away.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    A fighter pilot I know IRL adores Ace Combat. In that Angel-dancing one he would be in and F22 while is buddy would fly in an SU-32 as they slaughter everyone online.

And he's not the only one.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    A fighter pilot I know IRL adores Ace Combat. In that Angel-dancing one he would be in and F22 while is buddy would fly in an SU-32 as they slaughter everyone online.

And he's not the only one.

I love that stuff, like real Yakuza reviewing the Yakuza series.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    He also liked the weather system. Raindrops can collect on the canopy, which allows you to play a game that fighter pilots play in real life called “cloud surfing.” Cloud surfing is when you fly as close to a cloud as you can. If you get too close, droplets will appear on the glass, and you lose.

Awesome <3

Stabbity_Style.png
    I've been watching a Let's Play and I missed so much radio chatter while focusing on flying

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    I've been watching a Let's Play and I missed so much radio chatter while focusing on flying

God, same here.

Hard to listen to the radio drama with the constant white knuckle maneuvering and 'Missile! Missile! Missile!'

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
    EVERYONE SHUT UP I'M TRYINF TO WATCH MY MINIMAP

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Picked this up thanks to Target's B2G1 deal. I'm only on mission 4, but when the crap can I start buying upgrades for my F16C? Do I need to unlock other aircraft first, or keep playing to a certain point?

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
    Progressing down the tree unlocks additional parts, so yes, you'll need additional planes. Weapons you can buy at any time.

That dude in the video must be the most disappointed person in the world, since he must be playing the PC version and not the PSVR version.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Mission 9 sucks. Even by "Bad Ace Combat level" standards, which are pretty low.

Synthesis on
    It's not bad with a bit of planning.
    Stay in the clouds (this you know).
    Your job is to pop up and snipe the radar facilities. Use long range anti-ground special weapons. You shouldn't be above the clouds for more than 15 seconds. The exception is the last facility. Do not just fly in a straight line towards it, use the clouds to circle behind it. Then full burn and blow up the last station before you get shot.

edited February 2019
    Yeah, it sucks--the second half is fine, but the first half is tedious bullshit.

"Stay in the cloud. Except when they're aren't clouds. And when there are, they'll fuck with your guidance and/or maneuverability. Oh, and by the way, these are special missiles immune to countermeasures and they'll do more damage."

The first half is a shitty mission, I ended up muting the audio just so I wouldn't have to listen to the same tired chatter every time. The second half was actually enjoyable, though maybe it's just nice hunting F/A-18s rather than those drones again.

Synthesis on
    edited February 2019
    What in the ever loving hell, mission 5? Targeting refuses to lock onto the bombers half the time, and I'm getting missle lock spammed like it's going out of style. Guess I need to buy a new aircraft or something.

Capt Howdy on
    I was confused when the VO pronounced it Yuktovania, but I've got one of the magazines from the ending cinematic paused and they spelled it Yuktovania there. I wonder if it was always supposed to be pronounced that way and the b/v didn't get translated as intended

3basnids3lf9.jpg

There's an extreme early foreshadow about the drones and their origin in one of the random mission chatters.
    To paraphrase, "Tell those weapon merchants to print the drone instructions in a language we can read!"

Which is of course, a giant red flag for Belka.

• mastertheheromasterthehero Professional Video Editor & Book Author Registered User regular
    Error wrote: »
    I am having a hell of a time completing the mission requirements to unlock the aces in missions 10, 16 and 18.
    In mission 10 I know you can use the contrails of SAMs fired at the VIP to hunt them down but it doesn't happen fast enough. 16 seems to make use of holding down the look button to ID targets as you fly towards them so it takes less time but racking up the score count just doesn't seem possible, and 18 requires total destruction of all forces in 2.30 minutes? Is there a nuke I don't know about?

For mission 10. Get the Mig-31, boost its speed with parts. Then hunt down a straight line for the sames. There are 3 lines going across from each other, the SAMS will appear once you get close enough. You can also view a map online to get a better idea where they are. The ACE will spawn with a group of interceptors.

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
    F-14 with 8 target missile system made chapter 5 super easy.

Error wrote: »

For mission 10. Get the Mig-31, boost its speed with parts. Then hunt down a straight line for the sames. There are 3 lines going across from each other, the SAMS will appear once you get close enough. You can also view a map online to get a better idea where they are. The ACE will spawn with a group of interceptors.

First two times I played this, I didn't realize that the SAM gauntlet isn't cosmetic, and you actually need to find and destroy the sites and intercept aircraft because this isn't AC6, and your wingman is useless.

Hoping the Su-37 I poured a lot of money into is fast enough for the job.

So the season pass simply unlocks a music player in the game? You don't get the soundtrack or anything?

edited February 2019
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    So the season pass simply unlocks a music player in the game? You don't get the soundtrack or anything?

Music player in game, three additional planes, and three additional missions which are a separate storyline
    https://youtu.be/6C2GM1InwNc
    @Capt Howdy

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

So I finally hunted down those last 3 aces. Turns out I was using the wrong plane laser wise, should have used the F-15C, its more maneuverable than the SU-57. That and the F-35 and some luck solved my issues.

• IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    After the irritating roadblock what was the first encounter with Sol 1, I have graduated to...the second encounter with Sol 1. He sucks, I don't like fighting him.

i've never really enjoyed fighting planes who break the "rules" of ace combat such as they are.

i actually landed like 6 missile hits pretty early in one of those fights and the game didn't even react to it. feels like nothing really matters.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    Knight_ wrote: »
    i've never really enjoyed fighting planes who break the "rules" of ace combat such as they are.

i actually landed like 6 missile hits pretty early in one of those fights and the game didn't even react to it. feels like nothing really matters.

It's mentioned in missions that Mihaly is such a skilled pilot that he can minimize the damage a missile hit does.

Clearly he is:
    5688-1610058888.jpg

If you get this reference we're friends now

3basnids3lf9.jpg