As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Gloomhaven] A small, quick party game

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Haven't unlocked Mask yet (it and Bolt are the only two we have left). Have unlocked Circles but haven't seen it in action yet (that was the sick player this week). I will say that Circles and Notes (my current character) are an interesting team. If what I suspect about Mask is true*, then Sun would be a great, hard-hitting partner with Notes doing its thing in the background.

I have reasons to believe that Mask is an Inox.

You're wrong on the mask. It's actually a
    orchid.
    The classes of the race you said is
    Brute and lightning are the only two inox. Haven't opened the lightning box, but a road event implied that those were the only inox.

Mask powers:
    The gimmick is centered around marking an enemy for doom (that's the term they use), mask is a "doomseeker", and you either get a bonus against that enemy or something cool happens once it's dead, like teleporting to its location.

Sun powers:
    It's a paladin. Specifically, a heal-/buff-adin. With some melee dps abilities. Seems decent, but a bit boring, especially compared to the insanity of the mask.

What sort of character is circles? Just based on icon, I'm assuming note is some sort of bard?

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Ha! We had the theory right, anyway. We figured Bolt was the other one via process of elimination and just went with the seemingly-obvious choices.

As for Circles, their main function is their literal class name...
    It's a Summoner.

Discussion of Circles and Two-Minis
    The Summoner has a ton of summons (and only a 9-card hand...) and a bunch of effects that let summoned allies do things or care about how many summons are in play. It can also recover a few lost cards to make up for the fact that summons almost always burn when done; of course, the other half of that card is a powerful summon...

Contrast with the Beast Tyrant, whose main focus is the bear and driving it around with command cards. Tyrant can summon other things but our player never saw the need to after they leveled up enough.

Notes on Notes:
    Yeah total Bard. Soothsinger, specifically. Kind of like the Mindthief in that it can keep a Song active for as long as they want. Songs benefit all allies; this includes summons but not itself.

Also Notes has some insane perks. The only card in my deck that is worse than a +0 is the mandatory crit miss and I've only used 8 perks. Notes doesn't do a lot of attacking, but when it does it makes them count.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Circles vs sun vs notes
    Both sun and notes are support characters, buffing (potentially) all allies, so seem like a natural fit with circles.

But having both sun and notes might be overkill?

And with circles, my worry is that summons sometimes do dumb stuff and might be pretty vulnerable. I know there's a scenario coming up where all summons (and also other characters) take 2 dmg per turn…

• CantideCantide Registered User regular

Notes on Notes:
    Yeah total Bard. Soothsinger, specifically. Kind of like the Mindthief in that it can keep a Song active for as long as they want. Songs benefit all allies; this includes summons but not itself.

Also Notes has some insane perks. The only card in my deck that is worse than a +0 is the mandatory crit miss and I've only used 8 perks. Notes doesn't do a lot of attacking, but when it does it makes them count.
    Yeah, the Soothesinger ends up with easily the best attack deck in the game. My wife likes to use those 50 gold one time summon options to make up for the lack of attacks; she can drop it down as a free action, use one of her “an ally attacks for X” cards on it, and deal crippling damage. Those little 2 HP summons tend to survive for quite a while, because whatever isn’t already getting cursed, disarmed, or stunned by her gets melted by them before dealing any damage.

Cantide wrote: »

Notes on Notes:

Yeah, the Soothesinger ends up with easily the best attack deck in the game. My wife likes to use those 50 gold one time summon options to make up for the lack of attacks; she can drop it down as a free action, use one of her “an ally attacks for X” cards on it, and deal crippling damage. Those little 2 HP summons tend to survive for quite a while, because whatever isn’t already getting cursed, disarmed, or stunned by her gets melted by them before dealing any damage.

I picked up one as a quest reward and it's neat. When I hit L7 I'll think about getting another one.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    Circles:
    One of the scenarios coming up has as a scenario condition that all summons and characters take 2 dmg per turn.

Would that be as much a pain in the ass with circles as I think it would?

• WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    I got this this past week! It was a Christmas gift that finally shipped.

Are there any good resources (other than the rulebook) for learning the rules and the various phases?

Any other tips, suggestions, or commonly misunderstood rules or pitfalls we can avoid?

edited February 2019
    Circles:
    One of the scenarios coming up has as a scenario condition that all summons and characters take 2 dmg per turn.

Would that be as much a pain in the ass with circles as I think it would?

Hell, that sounds like a pain in the ass for most classes. My character only has 11hp!
    I got this this past week! It was a Christmas gift that finally shipped.

Are there any good resources (other than the rulebook) for learning the rules and the various phases?

Any other tips, suggestions, or commonly misunderstood rules or pitfalls we can avoid?

There's a great quiz on BGG that will test you on the monster AI, which is probably the hardest part to get right (on mobile, links are hard).

Don't worry about screwing up, though. It's gonna happen. Just roll with it.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Tips:
    Get some kind of organizer, even if that organizer is just a 50 count box of Ziploc sandwich bags. Organizing the monsters especially saves a ton of setup time.

When choosing action cards, you can use the initiative number of either card. When your initiative arrives, you can do any action on either half of either card first (it doesn't have to be the card you used for initiative, you don't have to use a top half first, you don't have to move first), then do one of the two actions on the other half of the other card. You've always got the option to do a basic attack 2 or move 2 on literally every card in every deck.

You may get murdered a lot until you get the hang of the gameplay and level up a bit. Don't get discouraged, it get better!

Fry on
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    I find the Broken Token organizer to be very useful: https://www.thebrokentoken.com/gloomhaven-organizer. Be warned that it requires 3-4 hours of assembly, make sure you have wood glue and a rubber mallet handy.

Agreed with Fry's last sentence, too. Don't let the first fight in the first quest discourage you, it's meant to be a hard education in GLOOHMAVEN tactics.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Our group has had two babies (one is mine) so we’ve put this on hold for a while. When I finally get back to it, I think I would go crazy without my Broken Token organizer.

Fry wrote: »
    You've always got the option to do a basic attack 2 or move 2 on literally every card in every deck.

Not true. One deck has cards that explicitly lack this option.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    I assume that's not one of the starter decks, in which case it'll be an interesting thing to find when someone gets to it.

Correct, definitely not a starter. And it's a neat mechanic but nothing really mind-blowing. There is a justified reason why these don't have basic options.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    Finally got the whole group together to take on Payment Due (95) tonight.
    We got super lucky in a couple of aspects. First of all, it turns out that Spears has a top Loot 2 action; combined with Winged Boots and sufficient move to get in the middle of the pool, he was able to sweep up three of the objectives on the first turn. That left the rest of us free to head down the other path, where we dodged the enemies as best we could while making flying leaps. Using my own Winged Boots and a Move 6, I was able to make a deep dive onto one of the remaining objectives; I guessed correctly and we were able to unlock the gate in three rounds! Had I guessed incorrectly I was fully expecting to die trying to collect the other one, which would have meant a couple of additional spawns so that saved us all a ton of heartache.

Using my Invisibility Cloak allowed me to long rest, reactivating my boots and reclaiming my move 6 for a dramatic escape, stunning the nearest enemies and using a summon as a decoy to keep me alive. Meanwhile Spears and Saw had cleaned up the spawned Demons with relative ease, leaving just the Prime Lieutenant and his non-elite flunkies. They went down pretty quick and we were able to get out of there relatively unscathed overall.

So that was fun and a satisfying conclusion to that little mini-arc. Not sure where we go from here, but we only have one more scenario before I level up (I literally need 3xp and I get those in my sleep) and drag us back to L4 so we better make it count.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Random silliness from someone in the wrong thread

Turkson on
    oh h*ck
    Haven't unlocked Vader yet (although Eclipse comes close...).

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    Turkson wrote: »
    Flew for the first time in almost two years tonight!

I ran:
    Darth Vader (TIE/Adv)
    Soontir Fel (TIE Interceptor)
    Duchess (TIE Striker)
    Nu Squad (Alpha class Star Wing)
    - Os-1 Arsenal Loadout
    - Concussion Missiles

Opponent had Lando in a YT-1300 with Nien Numb and Trickshot, AP5 in a sheathipede, and Hera Syndulla in the Ghost with Leia, Zeb, and Intimidation.

Turn two say him delete my Star Wing. I was very disappointed with it. Never got a shot off, and it died so quickly. Turn three and four saw all three of my TIE's reduce the Ghost to space dust. Soontir was particularly good at maneuvering away from the reinforced hull area. It was my first time flying a Striker and Duchess was an absolute blast to fly. A very lucky trickshot from Lando and a really bad defense die roll form me say her get removed on turn 5. Vader was out of position for most of the game and the TIE Advanced felt so clunky and slow compared to the Interceptor or the Striker. I fly super aggressive with my Interceptors and Soontir chased after Lando at range 1 for the next three turns and ripped the ship to pieces by himself.

I had a lot of fun. I was worried that Soontir and Interceptors wouldn't be as fun to fly in 2.0 and I was so happy to be proven wrong.

@Turkson Cool, but this is the Gloomhaven thread…

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular

I ran:
    Darth Vader (TIE/Adv)
    Duchess (TIE Striker)
    - Os-1 Arsenal Loadout
    - Concussion Missiles

Opponent had Lando in a YT-1300 with Nien Numb and Trickshot, AP5 in a sheathipede, and Hera Syndulla in the Ghost with Leia, Zeb, and Intimidation.

Turn two say him delete my Star Wing. I was very disappointed with it. Never got a shot off, and it died so quickly. Turn three and four saw all three of my TIE's reduce the Ghost to space dust. Soontir was particularly good at maneuvering away from the reinforced hull area. It was my first time flying a Striker and Duchess was an absolute blast to fly. A very lucky trickshot from Lando and a really bad defense die roll form me say her get removed on turn 5. Vader was out of position for most of the game and the TIE Advanced felt so clunky and slow compared to the Interceptor or the Striker. I fly super aggressive with my Interceptors and Soontir chased after Lando at range 1 for the next three turns and ripped the ship to pieces by himself.

I had a lot of fun. I was worried that Soontir and Interceptors wouldn't be as fun to fly in 2.0 and I was so happy to be proven wrong.

You just haven't opened the super duper secret envelope yet.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    Got this for Christmas. Played scenario 1 with Cragheart, Scoundral and Mind Thief.

We really enjoyed the game and are excited to see what is next. So excited that we are meeting for a bonus session on Sunday to get through a few scenarios.

Excited

Bursar wrote: »

I ran:
    Darth Vader (TIE/Adv)
    Duchess (TIE Striker)
    - Os-1 Arsenal Loadout
    - Concussion Missiles

You just haven't opened the super duper secret envelope yet.

My group hasn't deserved it.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    The nature of the retirement system has led to at least three cases where my group has encountered and/or been blamed for something that none of the active members actually did in the last few weeks.

Scenarios 94 & 95
    None of our active characters were present when the Prime Demon was slain.

Cthulhu-face retirement road event (52)
    None of our active characters ever shared a party with the Plagueherald. It had one of the fastest turnarounds between unlocking/creation and retirement.

Our characters did choose the correct option, though.
    Word gets around...

Scenario 28 (and 29, next week's mission)
    None of our active characters were involved in either the defest of Jeskerah or the slaughtering if the Cultists of Gloom.

Ok... Maybe Spears helped out on Scenario 9 but that was it!

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    Auuugh, yet more rules I've had wrong! You're supposed to get an advancement checkmark every LEVEL as well as for every 3 battle goals.

Between this and the accidentally playing on hard mode, no wonder this game has been whipping my group's ass.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
    gavindel wrote: »
    Auuugh, yet more rules I've had wrong! You're supposed to get an advancement checkmark every LEVEL as well as for every 3 battle goals.

Between this and the accidentally playing on hard mode, no wonder this game has been whipping my group's ass.

The game is actually secretly a language comprehension test.

See me after class.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    gavindel wrote: »

Well, every 3 check marks. Some battle goals are worth more than 1 check.

edited February 2019
    Spent the day playing Gloomhaven, food, drink and 4 scenarios. Was an excellent day!
    6 scenarios in now and about 2/3rds of the way to completing my personal goal. Very excited, really having a blast with the game.

Cerberus on
    edited February 2019
    Last night we finished the first story arc we had followed. Spoilers about scenario 11 and quests below.
    We sided with Jekserah against the city guards, overthrowing the city to be ruled by necromancer. Was pretty cool and very thematic. The Pride Mercenary Company was pleased with their payment and cared not at all about their damaged reputation.

Everyone is level 3 now but I'm almost level 4 and only 4 monsters off completing my personal quest. Can't remember the name but it is to kill 20 different monster types.
    This unlocks two mini, which I know nothing about and am hoping to keep it that way. The Cragheart is about half way through killing cultists and bandits on his way to unlocking sun and the Scoundrel is 6/15 on completed scenarios to unlock circles. So much to discover. Very exciting.

We've not decided on our next path...

Cerberus on
    edited February 2019
    You're in for a treat when you retire. Two-minis is hilarious.

Question about your reputation:
    Did your party opt for evil because the Cragheart player was already on the path to unlock Sun (which is naturally unlocked at +10 rep)? My group made the opposite decision for a similar reason (I was unlocking Eclipse).

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    You're in for a treat when you retire. Two-minis is hilarious.

Question about your reputation:
    Did your party opt for evil because the Cragheart player was already on the path to unlock Sun (which is naturally unlocked at +10 rep)? My group made the opposite decision for a similar reason (I was unlocking Eclipse).
    That was definitely a driving factor yeah. We wanted to avoid unlocking the same thing twice. That said we often play bad guys during games, often their stories are more interesting.

We did our party name and decided on our moral outlook after getting our personal quests.

Also, off topic slightly. Gloomhaven are a bunch of racists! Always hating on Vermling, no wonder I'm getting the city overrun with undead!

Yeah I felt the same way when I was piloting the Mindthief, but he got over it.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    Had a game yesterday. Did scenarios 37 and 47, which caused all 3 party members to retire simultaneously. (1 for kill set number of bosses, 1 for do a set number of scenarios, 1 for watching two others retire). Also unlocked town records. Bye, bye brute, tinkerer, and spellweaver.

New party will consist of note, circles, and mask. I'm circles, and if it sucks I'll swap for (probably) sun.

Bad news: 1 prosperity away from starting at lvl 4, and probably quite some time until next gaming session.

Circles is super tricky but a fun combo with Notes. My current party is those two (I'm on Notes), Spears, and Saw.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    edited March 2019
    Looking forward to trying her.

Edit: Spoilered minor circles spoiler.
    Bit worried that none of us are tanks. I guess I'll summon one (the ooze).

(Didn't consider this a spoiler; lots of classes have summons.)

Any suggestions on card selection / perk selection / strategy?

[Expletive deleted] on
    We played scenario 6 last night...
    Nothing too exciting happened during the mission. But it lead to our first retirement.

I retired with the Mind Thief, and unlocked two minis. Oh my god, the theme, retired a Vermling, still playing one, probably a family member. So excited to try out the new character.

Another party member is close to retiring and unlocking sun. No idea what it is but predict it is a Knight or paladin type.
    Our Scoundrel is some way off retiring as he has to see 15 scenario completions. Think he unlocks circles...
    [/spoilers]

Played "Doom Trench" last weekend.
    Man, those Deep Terror guys sure are a pain in the ass, considering they don't move. At least they die quickly.

Funny that this scenario looks like the objective is "move the party from point A to point B" but in actual gameplay it worked out best for us to just kill everything on the way there.

If a scenario says it links to Gloomhaven, does that mean it links to any scenario that's on the inset map?

Fry wrote: »
    If a scenario says it links to Gloomhaven, does that mean it links to any scenario that's on the inset map?

I don't think so? It just means there's no road event leading to it (since you're on a boat and not the road). If the scenario in question states that it's also linked then sure.
    Looking forward to trying her. Bit worried that none of us are tanks.
    I guess I'll summon one (the ooze).

Any suggestions on card selection / perk selection / strategy?

Mind your character spoilers.
    The biggest problem with Circles is that the summons are super fragile. Like... that ooze? Sure it has shield 2, but it also has all of 4hp.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    Oh, is that what it means? Oops. Noted for next time, I guess.

How bad are oozes. Just about to hit our first mission with them

Cerberus wrote: »

My condolences...

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    Cerberus wrote: »

My condolences...

That bad?
    I'm glad we are back to level 2 enemies due to my character change then.
    Any tips?