As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Whatever happened to the [TV] Thread?

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    the goonies has aged incredibly poorly

This is kinda the point is that not all the things that stranger things is derivative of are like super progressive in any sense.

Linking its derivative nature to a reason it should have handled its female characters better is missing that the grander portion of things it's derivative of are like super bad at a bunch of that shit.

It's much easier to say, "It treats its female characters poorly", rather than trying to walk it through its derivative nature to that same point. Cause while it, by its nature, does pull from the movies original listed: aliens, halloween, and poltergeist, it also pulls inspiration from brat pack movies and stuff like the goonies which are super duper problematic in hindsight and didn't throw much if any strength to its female characters.

I don't

understand what this accomplishes. The problem is it treats its female characters poorly. Like you don't need to take that further, because that's a problem, full stop.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Just my reminder that as poorly as The Goonies holds up nowadays, it has an UTTERLY fantastic commentary track that is a mix of: Sean Astin ghosting because he has more important shit to do, the utter delight at which the actor who played Chunk takes in dunking on himself and Richard Donner, Corey Feldman reciting the well speech from memory with the perfect mix of cool and sad (mostly sad), and a bunch of other rad moments from that crew reuniting.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    the goonies has aged incredibly poorly

This is kinda the point is that not all the things that stranger things is derivative of are like super progressive in any sense.

Linking its derivative nature to a reason it should have handled its female characters better is missing that the grander portion of things it's derivative of are like super bad at a bunch of that shit.

It's much easier to say, "It treats its female characters poorly", rather than trying to walk it through its derivative nature to that same point. Cause while it, by its nature, does pull from the movies original listed: aliens, halloween, and poltergeist, it also pulls inspiration from brat pack movies and stuff like the goonies which are super duper problematic in hindsight and didn't throw much if any strength to its female characters.

I don't

understand what this accomplishes. The problem is it treats its female characters poorly. Like you don't need to take that further, because that's a problem, full stop.

Agreed. That is one hundred percent enough.

My specific issue is that it treats its female characters worse than they were treated in its 1979 source material.

It is a step backwards wearing the mask of nostalgia.

• HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Hawkstone wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »
    The only thing keeping me on Netflix are:
    -- FRIENDS
    -- BoJack Horseman
    -- Chilling Adventures of Sabrina

I'd be easy for me to drop it after 2019.

I am one of those shlubs who still loves Stranger Things and wants to see how it wraps up, I will probably be out after that.

What? When did we start hating Stranger Things?

I saw a looooot of bagging on the second season

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    I've only seen the Goonies once and constantly confuse it with that "Wolfman has nads?" movie.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    I've only seen the Goonies once and constantly confuse it with that "Wolfman has nads?" movie.

Uh, I think you mean nards

/comicbookguy

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    Do nads differ from nards or is it a cultural inflection?

Not disputing I got the quote wrong, just curious.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Just a cultural inflection

(Also also it's "Wolfman's got nards")

• MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Nads Mikkelson

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I’ve never seen The Goonies, but I have read the Goonies choose-your-own-adventure book about three billion times.

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    Stranger Things is a dude elbowing you constantly and pointing out he shares the same dvd collection with you.

i agree with this but also thought the first season of stranger things executed its attempt to live in that DVD collections' aesthetic well enough that it was just an undeniably good time for me. add to that the strong kid performances outta nowhere? winona ryder riding strong with them christmas lights? david harbour HARboring grief? the duffer brothers duffering the living fuck out of each other!?!? all those movies it's aping are great--and a season-long presentation of that whole atmosphere its hacked together is certainly a factor in my enjoyment--but the characters were across the board pretty compelling to me in each of the age tiers, and that's what kept me invested

anyway i started season 2 fairly unimpressed with what felt like a show that'd now become derivative of itself, which is apparently the limit, but it gave us some very good pairings (steve and dustin hello) and also bob. bob rules

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Nads Mikkelson

please, Nads Mikkelson is my father. please call me Nads Mikkelsonson

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    i barely remembered anything about stranger things when i first watched it, other than winona killing it, and i was baffled like a couple days after finishing it that it had become a thing.

this is my stranger things take.

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    all of the kids they got were actual good child actors, which is incredibly rare

after rewatching it recently, i gotta say mac kills his dad is my favorite it's always sunny episode

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    The race for best episode of Always Sunny isn't even close for me any more

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I just remembered to watch American Vandal S2. I'm so glad they gave a clear ending this time, and as someone who went to a rich Catholic school (although not nearly as rich, and of course before Instagram was a thing) it was incredibly accurate.

Tube wrote: »

the latest season finale is definitely a better episode, but bill ponderosa showing up to paddy's in a tux and cheerfully announcing he is there to drink himself to death speaks to me on a more primal level

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Mine will always be Mac Bangs Dennis' Mom.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of the Wade Boggs episode.

Just perfection on all levels.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Stranger Things is wholly carried for me by the sound design and music. It is exceptionally well done "this is what 80's music and soundtracks sound like in your nostalgia-brain because it did not actually sound this way," on a level that really only Perturbator had managed to pull off thus far.

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Production scheduled to start in April for Amazon's The Dark Tower show. 13 one hour episodes based on Wizard & Glass. Executive producers include King, Akiva Goldsman, and Glen Mazzara (Walking Dead). Casting's underway. Intentionally delayed to distance itself from the movie, because it's a reboot was the cited reason and not because the film sucked although that was very much still the case

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    That 80s sound was all over the place with horror movies pre-ST and I can't pretend that ain't part of my bias against it. I feel like I've heard more modern horror movies that sound like the 1980s than the 2010s.

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Tube wrote: »

the latest season finale is definitely a better episode, but bill ponderosa showing up to paddy's in a tux and cheerfully announcing he is there to drink himself to death speaks to me on a more primal level

As a queer person that was raised Catholic, last season's finale speaks to me on a personal level

But as a Philadelphian, so many other episodes are more poignant

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Production scheduled to start in April for Amazon's The Dark Tower show. 13 one hour episodes based on Wizard & Glass. Executive producers include King, Akiva Goldsman, and Glen Mazzara (Walking Dead). Casting's underway. Intentionally delayed to distance itself from the movie, because it's a reboot was the cited reason and not because the film sucked although that was very much still the case

Kinda shocked they're still moving forward with this

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    That 80s sound was all over the place with horror movies pre-ST and I can't pretend that ain't part of my bias against it. I feel like I've heard more modern horror movies that sound like the 1980s than the 2010s.

You definitely have, and it's not only because of nostalgia. There's a real other-worldliness to the shitty synth sounds of the 80's that can enhance the feelings of isolation and alienation that you may be looking to emphasize in a horror film.

They also tend to sound good in minor keys, and horror films overwhelmingly have soundtracks which are predominantly in a minor key.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I don't have picture perfect memories of what middle class homes looked like in the eighties, but I've seen pictures of my house and of other family members' houses from then, and if nothing else, they fucking nailed that aesthetic. And a lot of it was absolutely derivative, but I think, at least in season one, that they found their own unique spin on enough of those tropes, and populated it with enough actually memorable characters that it makes some sense to me that it blew up.

I almost turned it off when Eleven said, "what is..................friends??" though

• CantideCantide Registered User regular
    Russian Doll was fantastic, but I found one aspect of the ending to be weak:
    Namely, their conclusion that they had been “supposed” to help each other in the original timeline, and not doing so was what was causing their looping. Nadia’s side is questionable; she saw that Alan was in bad shape, but Ferran was there helping him out. She had little reason to think that this was a situation that needed her.

Alan’s side is where it really falls apart. Even if he recognized Mike, he didn’t know about him and Bea yet, and had no reason at all to engage with Nadia. And since their meeting in the deli was hours before she was struck by the car, I have a hard time imagining how things “should” have played out in the original timeline to save her. At best, I suppose Nadia taking the time to help Alan could have changed her own future so that she wasnt there to walk into traffic later, but that turns Alan into a passive participant, which doesn’t fit the idea that they both failed to do what they were supposed to.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    A lot of Eleven's dialogue was just painful. But they got the aesthetic bang on - what people were really wearing and how houses really looked, not TV/catalogue stuff, which is what you usually see.

DJ Eebs wrote: »
    I don't have picture perfect memories of what middle class homes looked like in the eighties, but I've seen pictures of my house and of other family members' houses from then, and if nothing else, they fucking nailed that aesthetic. And a lot of it was absolutely derivative, but I think, at least in season one, that they found their own unique spin on enough of those tropes, and populated it with enough actually memorable characters that it makes some sense to me that it blew up.

I almost turned it off when Eleven said, "what is..................friends??" though

it's only the most popular sitcom of all time, you stupid child!!!

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Kinda shocked they're still moving forward with this

They're not moving forward with multiple more movies in addition to a show like they planned to but they're still giving the show a shot. Hopefully this time the budget's less ridiculous because Goldsman's continued involvement still gives me a lot of pause in terms of quality

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Amazon is spending like a billion dollars on a Lord of the Rings television show, plus a new season of The Expanse, so I'm not surprised they're going through with The Dark Tower

I mean what else are they gonna do with all that money, pay their employees

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    If Disney+ is anything like DisneyLife that we have here in the UK then it's got an eclectic collection of stuff on there:

9Y3QFI3l.jpg

This is from the "Throwback Box Sets" collection (of which you can scroll down another few pages) but there's also every Disney movie (Disney Channel Original and anything they've put out as a "Disney" movie), all the Disney XD stuff and a fair bit of original content

It's definitely worth the £5 / month we're currently paying for it

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I really liked s1 of stranger things, s2 was just okay. I often think about how stupid that one episode was though.
    when that girl is introducing 11 to her crew she's all "this is Blake, he watches, he keeps us safe" so he's got like super seeing ability? "no he's just a normal guy but he looks out the window all day." so you put him on permenent guard duty and he's okay with that? Does he get bathroom breaks?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    My favorite episode of It's Always Sunny is a tie between

"Bums: Making A Mess All Over The City"

And

"Who Got Dee Pregnant?"

They aren't the best episodes from a story point or anything but I laughed the most at those two.

Charlie Day's Serpico impression fucking kills me as does, "FOR THE MARE" at the end.

Ok, I've held off for a week, but I'm gonna get a little drunk now and finally finish off the last two episodes of The Americans.

well guess which idiot somehow only just realised there's an entire other season to go

was it shaq

6vjsgrerts6r.png

was it shaq

it was Dre

you forgot about him. again.

• astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    It saddens me that no one has mentioned "The Gang Breaks Sweet Dee" as a candidate for best Always Sunny ep.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
This discussion has been closed.