As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trailers: A Brief History

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Fast and Furious presents : Unnecessary Spinoff 1, hey there's jokes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SA7FaKxZVI

That was great! The jumping joke at the end was actually good and they paid it off!

The only thing not good in that trailer was some CGI explosions and I guess they couldn't get Kurt Russell to be the team leader guy.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Hopefully it's the prequel to Pacific Rim that it looks like.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    More like Tango and Cash remake right down to the electric torture.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »
    That looks terrible

Are you kidding? That looks absolutely bonkers fantastic. Idris Elba, The Rock and Jason Statham in one movie. What more could you want?

• Options
    https://youtu.be/1NlJ_Q7EfDc

This looks interesting.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    This came out like a week ago, but I didn't see anything in this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpxeX6zPx_4

Not a sequel I thought anyone wanted... but much like the first one, the trailer is funny and interesting. With the first one not actually being all that funny and interesting.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    That looks terrible

Are you kidding? That looks absolutely bonkers fantastic. Idris Elba, The Rock and Jason Statham in one movie. What more could you want?

While the Fast and the Furious movies did jump shark, this one jumped jumped planet with a bullet proof man.

Also the beginning had me thinking this was another Pacific Rim movie

The trailer in general was cringe

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    Yeah Secret Life of Pets 2, fool me once? shame on you.

fool me twice? Minions 3.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Holy shit Hobbs and Shaw I'm there day 1.

That's just batshit stupid and that's what movies starring the Rock and Jason Statham are supposed to be.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    That looks terrible

While the Fast and the Furious movies did jump shark, this one jumped jumped planet with a bullet proof man.

If you think fast and the furious has at any point done anything but deliver exactly what its fans want you'd be mistaken.

The Fast and the Furious films are Vin Diesel's D&D campaign where everyone started off by min maxing their characters around driving cars instead of being good at combat. We're getting to the point where everyone's characters are mid teens or higher for level so everything's going totally bonkers. Technically Hobbs and Shaw are both NPCs, so really this film is just extra world building between campaigns.

I do a rewatch on the series all the time.
    It's fuckin wild watching the story go from the fast and the furious to fate of the furious, and all the movies are fun standalone films to catch on their own.

Lots of folks just don't get what's going on in the fast and the furious franchise so they are totally mystified by why fans of it still absolutely love the series, even if we do need to get some justice for Han.

It's an entire series based on a point break retread. We signed up for nonsense action film trying to look like something more from the first installment onward.

Sleep on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Or to quote a public radio movie reviewer in my area who admitted to enjoying the last Riddick movie, "It's ok to not think at the movies too."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Sleep wrote: »
    That looks terrible

If you think fast and the furious has at any point done anything but deliver exactly what its fans want you'd be mistaken.

The Fast and the Furious films are Vin Diesel's D&D campaign where everyone started off by min maxing their characters around driving cars instead of being good at combat. We're getting to the point where everyone's characters are mid teens or higher for level so everything's going totally bonkers. Technically Hobbs and Shaw are both NPCs, so really this film is just extra world building between campaigns.

It's fuckin wild watching the story go from the fast and the furious to fate of the furious, and all the movies are fun standalone films to catch on their own.

Lots of folks just don't get what's going on in the fast and the furious franchise so they are totally mystified by why fans of it still absolutely love the series, even if we do need to get some justice for Han.

It's an entire series based on a point break retread. We signed up for nonsense action film trying to look like something more from the first installment onward.

To summarize:

The climactic set piece of "The Fast & The Furious" is two guys racing while also trying to cross a railroad before the train comes, which ends with them both crossing with a split-second to spare.

The climactic set piece of "Fate of the Furious" involves a nuclear submarine remote-controlled by a supervillain hacker trying to start World War III plowing through arctic ice firing torpedoes and heat-seeking missiles at cars driven by a seasoned group of criminals-turned-secret agents, which ends with one luring a missile into tailing him, driving up the shattered ice like a ramp to jump the sub and let the missile hit the sub, and then him falling out of his car and in the path of an oncoming wall of flames from the explosion as his allies drive their cars into formation between him and the flames to save his life.

IT'S AWESOME AS FUCK.

The "Fast & Furious" franchise might as well be "Saints Row" movies in that they go from grounded to absolutely insane as the franchise progresses.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I love that comparison. I like how the commentary for the first one was about how they wanted to do a car movie of crazy stuff, and figured the best way to pull that off was with a cop/heist film. And it just grew. Last one I saw was 4, I need to change that.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    I love that comparison. I like how the commentary for the first one was about how they wanted to do a car movie of crazy stuff, and figured the best way to pull that off was with a cop/heist film. And it just grew. Last one I saw was 4, I need to change that.

I started with "Fate of the Furious", was blown away, and immediately bought all the other movies on DVD to binge watch them.

The first two are just cop/heist films, the third (Tokyo Drift) has a completely different cast, and the fourth goes back to the original cast. If you look on Rotten Tomatoes none of their scores are that good.

Fast Five onwards is where it gets kuh-ray-zee, and where the reviews become much more positive.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S4TI2KGdaUw

American Dad had a pretty fun Fast & Furious parody, too.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Typical youtube to censor all the hardcore gay sex.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Or to quote a public radio movie reviewer in my area who admitted to enjoying the last Riddick movie, "It's ok to not think at the movies too."

It's perfectly okay to like Riddick, it's got Bautista and Starbuck being awesome and Vin Diesel at his Vin Dieselist. Its not like its Last Witch Hunter.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

I started with "Fate of the Furious", was blown away, and immediately bought all the other movies on DVD to binge watch them.

The first two are just cop/heist films, the third (Tokyo Drift) has a completely different cast, and the fourth goes back to the original cast. If you look on Rotten Tomatoes none of their scores are that good.

Fast Five onwards is where it gets kuh-ray-zee, and where the reviews become much more positive.

Fast Five has the best set piece out of the whole series.

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular

It's perfectly okay to like Riddick, it's got Bautista and Starbuck being awesome and Vin Diesel at his Vin Dieselist. Its not like its Last Witch Hunter.

I liked Last Witch Hunter.

I mean it's crap, but it's fun crap. Still crap through. But I had fun.

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular

And look at Boxofficemojo too. The first 4 films bring in good, but pedestrian results around the 300 mil mark. With "Fast Five" this goes up and up, topping out at 1,5 billion for #7. All movies combined grossed more than 5 billion so far. That is why we are getting "Hobbs & Shaw" and #9 and #10 in the main series. These movies are just money printing machines.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    That looks terrible

To summarize:

The climactic set piece of "The Fast & The Furious" is two guys racing while also trying to cross a railroad before the train comes, which ends with them both crossing with a split-second to spare.

The climactic set piece of "Fate of the Furious" involves a nuclear submarine remote-controlled by a supervillain hacker trying to start World War III plowing through arctic ice firing torpedoes and heat-seeking missiles at cars driven by a seasoned group of criminals-turned-secret agents, which ends with one luring a missile into tailing him, driving up the shattered ice like a ramp to jump the sub and let the missile hit the sub, and then him falling out of his car and in the path of an oncoming wall of flames from the explosion as his allies drive their cars into formation between him and the flames to save his life.

IT'S AWESOME AS FUCK.

The "Fast & Furious" franchise might as well be "Saints Row" movies in that they go from grounded to absolutely insane as the franchise progresses.
    Ok you've won me over.

When can I expect the sequel featuring a BDSM rickshaw chase sequence, VR Tron mini game hacking, Matrix references, and reenacting scenes from the 1986 Transformers movie

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Rchanen wrote: »

I liked Last Witch Hunter.

I mean it's crap, but it's fun crap. Still crap through. But I had fun.

I do like modern day occult, love it in fact, but it's a shame it was such a campy effort. I want something more like Fate/Zero with mages scheming using old world sorcery only to have someone bypass all that by blowing up their entire atelier with plastic explosives.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    That looks terrible

To summarize:

IT'S AWESOME AS FUCK.

Ok you've won me over.

When can I expect the sequel featuring a BDSM rickshaw chase sequence, VR Tron mini game hacking, Matrix references, and reenacting scenes from the 1986 Transformers movie

I don't know about all that, but I expect "Fast & Furious IN SPAAAAACE" to be a thing eventually.

Netflix is also getting a cartoon tie-in called "Fast & Furious: Spy Racers".
    Fast & Furious: Spy Racers begins as "teenager Tony Toretto follows in the footsteps of his cousin Dom when he and his friends are recruited by a government agency to infiltrate an elite racing league serving as a front for a nefarious crime organization bent on world domination."

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    So they’re making a VR game sequel to Groundhog Day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNOCVSkc0Eg

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    That looks terrible

To summarize:

IT'S AWESOME AS FUCK.

Ok you've won me over.

I don't know about all that, but I expect "Fast & Furious IN SPAAAAACE" to be a thing eventually.

Netflix is also getting a cartoon tie-in called "Fast & Furious: Spy Racers".
    Fast & Furious: Spy Racers begins as "teenager Tony Toretto follows in the footsteps of his cousin Dom when he and his friends are recruited by a government agency to infiltrate an elite racing league serving as a front for a nefarious crime organization bent on world domination."

What ever plot is in the future Fast movies, I hope there's space for a sequence of Keith David fighting a cgi Roddy Piper

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Justice League vs. The Fatal Five Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Hj-oR8XirE

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Shaft Trailer #1:

https://youtu.be/wXvs1PiPMmE

• Options
    It looks ok? At least it looks like its going for funny versus the super serious blah version they did before.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Wow, the guy who was WIll Smith's son in Indpendence Day 2 brought down every scene he was in. I didn't mind him in ID2 but this is like a really poor JB Smoove AND Kevin Hart impression.

Other than that it was fine.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Wow, the guy who was WIll Smith's son in Indpendence Day 2 brought down every scene he was in. I didn't mind him in ID2 but this is like a really poor JB Smoove AND Kevin Hart impression.

Polygon has an article that says he's a cybersecurity expert. So they are going to be playing up the "fish out of water" scenario where he doesn't mesh with his father and great-uncle.

Edit: er.. grandpa? John Jr. says Grandpa, but in the 2000 Shaft, SLJ was his nephew...

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Over under jokes about millenials? I'd set the base at 50 and take the over.

Also I'm sure he'll start off advocating gun control and end up a proud gun shooting guy by the end

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »

Polygon has an article that says he's a cybersecurity expert. So they are going to be playing up the "fish out of water" scenario where he doesn't mesh with his father and great-uncle.

Edit: er.. grandpa? John Jr. says Grandpa, but in the 2000 Shaft, SLJ was his nephew...

well that just sounds like the worst.

• Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    It looks ok? At least it looks like its going for funny versus the super serious blah version they did before.

Wait, what? The 'super serious' one was amazing.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »

the same jackson one? Oh hell no it was awful. With like a really bad moral.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

If you're rich and white and get off scott free, you'll get shot?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options

If you think someone is guilty its aok to kill them.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

If you think someone is guilty its aok to kill them.

I'm pretty sure that's not the message of that scene...

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Edit: Wrong thread!

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Edit: Nothing to see here!

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    My main memory of the other Shaft movie was this amazing scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO-L1PjLp5M

P2n5r3l.jpg
This discussion has been closed.