As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

They advanced the PLOT?! Warhammer 40k casual lore

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
  • Options
    Also Abaddon or whatever

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I really like that new Obliterator sculpt.
    What are the chances they're going to produce the Ultimate Obliterator for us?

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »

"The city wasted so much money on these new bus stops, Christ..."

Alternatively

"Hey kid... Wanna buy a skull?"

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »

"The city wasted so much money on these new bus stops, Christ..."

Alternatively

"Hey kid... Wanna buy a skull?"

Rawr i will collect them in the name of my deity

• Options
    Like you've never taken your skull collection for a nice walk around the block.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I like how the Imperium likes skulls almost as much as worshippers of Khorne, but they're like NO OUR SKULLS ARE DIFFERENT

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    I like how the Imperium likes skulls almost as much as worshippers of Khorne, but they're like NO OUR SKULLS ARE DIFFERENT

Put an Aquila on it! All good now.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    I like how they've acknowledged the whole Primaris Lieutenant thing.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Primaris scouts in lightweight power armour and bolt sniper weapons?

Yes, this pleases me

• Options
    Karl wrote: »

Yes, this pleases me

It also has me questioning the role of the generic marines of old

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »

Yes, this pleases me

Dante will attempt Primaris conversion hoping it kills him.

It doesn't, and Dante wakes up the saddest Primaris

• Options

Yes, this pleases me

Ragnar is probably going to get pickled as his model is old as the hills

• Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular

Yes, this pleases me

Soooo how will the Sanguinor undergo this operation too?

• Options
    TheGerbil wrote: »

Yes, this pleases me

The disembodied spirit of the chapter cannot be upgraded

• Options
    TheGerbil wrote: »

Yes, this pleases me

He won't. The Sanguinor is a warp entity.

• Options
    Perdurabo wrote: »
    Republic Commando 40k

As Space Marine or an Storm Troopers?

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    One of the cool things in Republic Commando was all the other clone troopers being in awe of you. So Space Marine imo. Yes, it's over done.

Storm Troopers owuld be more in line iwht th e game though.

Whatever it was, it'd need solid melee combat and gore. If you've got a space marine wreaking havoc then they've gotta do it Doomguy style. And bolter oughta be knocking great big holes in the enemies.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I'd go with Storm Trooper, Marines are pretty much always more interesting when they're not the pov characters.

• Options
    And a fps lets you better appreciate how big space marines are in relation to humans. You don't quite get the same impression from a 3ps or rts game.

• Options
    A FPS where you start out as the guard, then get noticed by an Inquisitor who sponsors you to go through Strom trooper training.

Then you're an Inquisitorial stormtrooper and do special operation missions for him as part of a kill team.

I also agree, Space Marines should be NPC's who you see wrecking shit. Or a boss fight where your entire squad has to take on 1 Chaos space marine.

• Options
    Human storm trooper on a campaign against the Tau, a 3rd/4th party gets in involved, trooper is spit from the main force, fights alongside Tau against the bigger enemy as a matter of necessity, the trooper begins questioning Imperial xenophobia, ends the game joining the Tau.

Boom!

Stealth Fire Warrior sequel!

Firewarrior 2: Gue'vesa

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Dwarf fortress: Valhalla

Build your underground ice planet colony

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Warhammer40k Total War -could- work. But it'd need to be on a huge scale and include pretty much all the bits of bobs of the 40k galaxy.

Naval battles in space would probably be your primary fights, which would be a big shift in series tone, but Battlefleet Gothic pretty much showed how it could work. Boarding would work weird but I could see it being made to work so you got to control the boarding units as well.

Lands battles would have to be fucking huge and crazy though.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Nah, you could keep the format of battles almost exactly the same with some minor tweaks for ranged units. Why you ask if its 42nd millennium warfare? Look at any art of a cool 40k battle. It ALWAYS is two blobs of infantry, sometimes with armor and air and sometimes not, smashed together.

There is no such thing as defense in depth in 40k.

• Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    Does pickled mean turned into Primaris marine?

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    A perfect Space Marine game would basically rob the best gameplay and aesthetic elements of Halo, DOOM, Wolfenstein and prrroooobably Gears of War, with deep squad-based mechanics like Rainbow Six or Ghost Recon maybe, with a dash of horde-style slaughter-fests when you're fighting stuff like Orks or Tyranids or, say, a corrupted IG regiment. Against tougher opponents, like Tau, who are tactically gifted and well equipped, you have to play smart, using flanking maneuvers and every piece of equipment at your disposal, as well as every ability available. When you're fighting an army like Orks, say, less technologically apt but brutal and bloody, the game becomes a lot more like DOOM, with a frenetic pace required, a tenacious and endless enemy with waves of dangerous grunts peppered with elite units or squads. You'd also have a dash of the campaign from the Battlefield games in there, switching between soldiers on the field so one moment you're laying down bolter fire as you advance with your brothers, and then you switch to the deep-strike drop pods and come out behind enemy lines!

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    A perfect Space Marine game would basically rob the best gameplay and aesthetic elements of Halo, DOOM, Wolfenstein and prrroooobably Gears of War, with deep squad-based mechanics like Rainbow Six or Ghost Recon maybe, with a dash of horde-style slaughter-fests when you're fighting stuff like Orks or Tyranids or, say, a corrupted IG regiment. Against tougher opponents, like Tau, who are tactically gifted and well equipped, you have to play smart, using flanking maneuvers and every piece of equipment at your disposal, as well as every ability available. When you're fighting an army like Orks, say, less technologically apt but brutal and bloody, the game becomes a lot more like DOOM, with a frenetic pace required, a tenacious and endless enemy with waves of dangerous grunts peppered with elite units or squads. You'd also have a dash of the campaign from the Battlefield games in there, switching between soldiers on the field so one moment you're laying down bolter fire as you advance with your brothers, and then you switch to the deep-strike drop pods and come out behind enemy lines!

So, a mish mash of Goddamned everything

just like actual 40K is already

seems legit.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    yeah see, it sounds crazy until you realize that the time cube is a 4 dimensional shape and so the dskafjdklgfjklsdfj̵͚͙̬̫a͈s͏͙̺ḍfj̞̩͕̟̫͝f͎͇̹̺

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    I had an idea for a Space Marine video game where each Legion gets its own short campaign. Ultramarines get a tactical shooter, World Eaters get a melee-focused action thing, Night Lords and Raven Guard are stealth-focused, etc.

The Alpha Legion campaign is to arrange the deaths of every enemy and friendly NPC in one of the others, but it's not obvious which one.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    I wonder how much of my pick-and-choose bin up there is a direct result of so much stuff taking inspiration from GW properties...

edit: i mean Gears of War is basically just 40k only everyone gets boob armor and the enemies are less interesting.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    The Space Marine game was pretty fun I thought

Captain needed a helmet but still

It was a good example of the combative prowess of a Space Marine Captain i.e fucks up vast quantities of enemy dudes, quotes cod Latin sternly

• Options
    edited February 2019
    My ideal Space Marine game has you nearly die at the halfway point in a campaign against Chaos Marines. Probably Khorne, though Tzeentch might be into it too.
    You start as a bog standard marine, equipped with standard gear, as you fight your way through the campaign, deeper into Chaos held territory you upgrade your gear until you're rolling around in terminator armor fighting shit that's equally as nasty.
    Then, you get curb stomped by a daemon, and you're presented with a choice: Denounce the Emperor and serve Chaos or die, here and now, in a pool of your own viscous fluids.
    Naturally, choosing to die has you recovered and dumped into the nearest dreadnought coffin to continue the campaign against Chaos until you meet up with the daemon again, now you're bigger and badder than ever and have a chance at the fight. Win, and the forces of Chaos are defeated for now, and the planet is claimed for the Emperor. The population is purged, the imperial guard who assisted are likewise decimated, etc.. etc... GRIMDARK ALL UP INS.
    Or, you choose to go Chaos, get turned into a Chaos Marine, turn around and have to fight your way through all the levels you've busily cleared of Chaos and reinforced, but now the Empire has had time to fill in additional reinforcements and nastiness since you where kind enough to clear the way for them. As you fight, you continue to get bigger better mutations, more powerful weapons, etc... until you become a full on daemon yourself and have to fight whatever the biggest baddest Imperial weapon on the ground is to destroy the Imperial beach head and/or plunge the world into The Warp with the power of the blood of the Imperial legions and the remaining civilian population. Because IT'S STILL GRIMDARK ALL UP INS.

Edit: Also, ideally, at some point along the Chaos path you turn into an Obliterator. Just, all the guns.

see317 on
  • Options
    Solar wrote: »
    The Space Marine game was pretty fun I thought

Captain needed a helmet but still

It was a good example of the combative prowess of a Space Marine Captain i.e fucks up vast quantities of enemy dudes, quotes cod Latin sternly

My only complaint of that game was I was a very bad shot with the various rifles but give me the assault option and I was always in combat
    In the pvp stuff in that game I usually did assault and was getting a rep for flanking and dive bombing people from unexpected corners. I single handedly stopped a dreadnaught assault by diving the back guard and carving though the enemy as the rest ran straight into the waiting guns of my team

• Options
    see317 wrote: »
    My ideal Space Marine game has you nearly die at the halfway point in a campaign against Chaos Marines. Probably Khorne, though Tzeentch might be into it too.
    You start as a bog standard marine, equipped with standard gear, as you fight your way through the campaign, deeper into Chaos held territory you upgrade your gear until you're rolling around in terminator armor fighting shit that's equally as nasty.
    Then, you get curb stomped by a daemon, and you're presented with a choice: Denounce the Emperor and serve Chaos or die, here and now, in a pool of your own viscous fluids.
    Naturally, choosing to die has you recovered and dumped into the nearest dreadnought coffin to continue the campaign against Chaos until you meet up with the daemon again, now you're bigger and badder than ever and have a chance at the fight. Win, and the forces of Chaos are defeated for now, and the planet is claimed for the Emperor. The population is purged, the imperial guard who assisted are likewise decimated, etc.. etc... GRIMDARK ALL UP INS.
    Or, you choose to go Chaos, get turned into a Chaos Marine, turn around and have to fight your way through all the levels you've busily cleared of Chaos and reinforced, but now the Empire has had time to fill in additional reinforcements and nastiness since you where kind enough to clear the way for them. As you fight, you continue to get bigger better mutations, more powerful weapons, etc... until you become a full on daemon yourself and have to fight whatever the biggest baddest Imperial weapon on the ground is to destroy the Imperial beach head and/or plunge the world into The Warp with the power of the blood of the Imperial legions and the remaining civilian population. Because IT'S STILL GRIMDARK ALL UP INS.

you could set it during the horus heresy to set up future releases!

• Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    The thing with Space Marine chapters is that without previous exposure it sure is difficult to sort who are the goodie and baddie chapters by name alone. I know that's part of the point but dang

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    Surely the Emperor's Children are the good guys and the Blood Drinkers are the bad guys?

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Hey

The flesh tearers are as good as you can get

Kinda

• Options
    I will forever be confused by the Iron Warriors and the Iron Hands.

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Speaking of mishmashes of different video games, Eternal Crusade. In that if you guys want a good mélange of different shooter mechanics, you're gonna have to pony up the big bucks, otherwise you're gonna end up with a very uneven product.

My ideal 40K multiplayer game is basically EC but with more teamwork communication mechanics, more weapon variety, warlords and maybe single-player scenarios where players can learn the ropes. Because my favorite gaming sessions were when two teams were organized, had strategies going on, and had to guess at the opponent's plan before commiting. You know, strategic depth. But when you had one organized team versus an unorganized one, it was deeply unpleasant, but not as unpleasant as say, getting rolled in TF2, because even after you realize you are being rolled, you still have one last desperate strategy to try. 7-8 times out of ten it doesn't work, but when it does... *chefkiss*.

My single player dream game, however, is basically Rogue Squadron-but-40K. I've made a token effort to try and make it, but a)I don't know how to make 3D models, b)I don't have the temporal resources to make a prototype, and c)Unreal is hard, guys.

Children's rights are human rights.
This discussion has been closed.