As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Wargroove] The Advance Wars game we've waited 10 years for!

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    So far the game itself is okay aside from some design issues, but... hmm, I gotta say the music in this game isn't really doing it for me. The lack of variety especially where the COs are concerned is really unfortunate given it's supposed to model itself after AW, where each CO has their own unique(and relentlessly catchy) song tailored to fit their own theme.

I'm not expecting Days of Ruin levels of music quality(Evil Hatsune Miku's theme is the peak of the series imo), but the fact that none of the music tracks are sticking with me after I close the game whereas I can remember nearly every AW CO's theme offhand is a bit telling.

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Sigrid's theme is real good. Though yeah, in general the tone is a little more muted and consistent rather than slamming it to 11 for every CO. Which is a shame.

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Man, only done the first three missions or so but I feel so out of my depth. I completely missed out on Advance Wars back in the day. I'm sure things will click eventually but they really kind of toss you in the deep end a bit.

Some basic principles I have found to be important:

-Units have strengths and weaknesses vs other units. This can be pretty significant, like a unit at full strength can wipe another full strength unit off the board if it's a major weakness, or if they get a crit. E.g., cavalry do lots of damage to swordsmen and archers; archers are strong against spearmen and infantry; spears are very strong against cavalry. This means you can't really spam and you need variety, based on what's coming at you.
    -The game is about attrition and making beneficial trades, sort of like chess. Consider the gold value of a unit; consistently sacrificing cheap units to kill expensive units will let you gain a material advantage and eventually overwhelm the enemy. But also consider tactical and positional value (that's the hard part). If you have to sacrifice a 600 cost cavalry unit to kill a spear unit holding a bridge, but that lets you move a spearman into position to generate a critical hit for another spearman...
    -Units reduced to 1 or 2 health are usually almost useless, and maybe even worse than dead units because they can jam up reinforcements. It's more valuable to do damage to a dangerous, full health enemy unit (especially with little or no retaliation) than it is to finish off a weak unit, in many cases.
    -Watch the enemy's threat ranges, which are convenient to check. Don't enter their threat range and give them the first attack unless you have a good reason for it. The enemy will often advance and let you get that first strike. You can also bait strong units in at the edge of their threat range and then kill them. This is particularly useful with your general, who is very tough and regenerates over time (and counterattacks hard), as the enemy will prioritize damage to your general even if they can't kill them
    -Generals are really strong. When they have their Groove charged, look for a chance to use it effectively. Don't be afraid to save it for the right moment but don't hold it too long, since you want to use it more than once in long fights.

• PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    I definitely agree the music should bump up quite a bit more when using commander powers. It does seem like most of the music is pretty muted. Only in Act 3 now so not sure how much the other races music varies.

If i had to give one piece of advice for the game that might not make sense, it's let your units that are weaker be used as setups for counter-attacks. I.E. if you have a swordsman or pikeman that is down to 1-2 health. Put them out in front knowing that the enemy will attack to finish off that unit. Have your other units back a couple of spaces to come in after the fact and kill the enemy. Attackers almost always have the advantage.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    music volume by default is also really low. try bumping that up

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    So far the game itself is okay aside from some design issues, but... hmm, I gotta say the music in this game isn't really doing it for me. The lack of variety especially where the COs are concerned is really unfortunate given it's supposed to model itself after AW, where each CO has their own unique(and relentlessly catchy) song tailored to fit their own theme.

I'm not expecting Days of Ruin levels of music quality(Evil Hatsune Miku's theme is the peak of the series imo), but the fact that none of the music tracks are sticking with me after I close the game whereas I can remember nearly every AW CO's theme offhand is a bit telling.

I also agree with this , I can still tell the classic CO’S from just hearing their music. Nothing has really struck me as unique in warfroove they all sound samey.

Man, only done the first three missions or so but I feel so out of my depth. I completely missed out on Advance Wars back in the day. I'm sure things will click eventually but they really kind of toss you in the deep end a bit.

-Units have strengths and weaknesses vs other units. This can be pretty significant, like a unit at full strength can wipe another full strength unit off the board if it's a major weakness, or if they get a crit. E.g., cavalry do lots of damage to swordsmen and archers; archers are strong against spearmen and infantry; spears are very strong against cavalry. This means you can't really spam and you need variety, based on what's coming at you.
    -The game is about attrition and making beneficial trades, sort of like chess. Consider the gold value of a unit; consistently sacrificing cheap units to kill expensive units will let you gain a material advantage and eventually overwhelm the enemy. But also consider tactical and positional value (that's the hard part). If you have to sacrifice a 600 cost cavalry unit to kill a spear unit holding a bridge, but that lets you move a spearman into position to generate a critical hit for another spearman...
    -Units reduced to 1 or 2 health are usually almost useless, and maybe even worse than dead units because they can jam up reinforcements. It's more valuable to do damage to a dangerous, full health enemy unit (especially with little or no retaliation) than it is to finish off a weak unit, in many cases.
    -Watch the enemy's threat ranges, which are convenient to check. Don't enter their threat range and give them the first attack unless you have a good reason for it. The enemy will often advance and let you get that first strike. You can also bait strong units in at the edge of their threat range and then kill them. This is particularly useful with your general, who is very tough and regenerates over time (and counterattacks hard), as the enemy will prioritize damage to your general even if they can't kill them
    -Generals are really strong. When they have their Groove charged, look for a chance to use it effectively. Don't be afraid to save it for the right moment but don't hold it too long, since you want to use it more than once in long fights.

To expand on this another important concept is build efficiency: In terms of raw gold efficiency sword and pike men are the single best units in the game. A pikeman duo can crit a cavalry unit out of the battle real easily and a swordsman favourably trades into mages, archers and a whole range of stuff provided they can get the first blow.

However the answer to every situation isn't to just mass those units. Not only do they have obvious movement limitations and hard counters from harpies but you start to grate up against build efficiency. In most missions you only have one barracks and can only produce one unit a turn. Which means that even if critting pikemen are technically gold efficient vs a giant they're still a losing trade because in the time it takes you to build the pikemen to trade into the giant your opponent can build four more units of varying uses as well.

This all boils down to the basic concept of 'spearmen/dog swarms might be great but don't over rely on them'.

To expand on this another important concept is build efficiency: In terms of raw gold efficiency sword and pike men are the single best units in the game. A pikeman duo can crit a cavalry unit out of the battle real easily and a swordsman favourably trades into mages, archers and a whole range of stuff provided they can get the first blow.

However the answer to every situation isn't to just mass those units. Not only do they have obvious movement limitations and hard counters from harpies but you start to grate up against build efficiency. In most missions you only have one barracks and can only produce one unit a turn. Which means that even if critting pikemen are technically gold efficient vs a giant they're still a losing trade because in the time it takes you to build the pikemen to trade into the giant your opponent can build four more units of varying uses as well.

This all boils down to the basic concept of 'spearmen/dog swarms might be great but don't over rely on them'.

Basically it’s remember mech spam ? It still applys in the situations it used to.

You can more or less 1:1 compare every unit in this game to their advanced wars equivalent. The main difference is how much more of them are infantry that can capture.

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I will admit, I'm a bit down on this game simply because I'm reflexively comparing it to Advance Wars in a lot of ways that might not necessarily be fair (the art, music, and general design just aren't the same level of quality), but at the very least it is absolutely scratching that itch.

But the problem is that now I want a new Advance Wars even more than I did before.

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

Fun fact! A couple of days before Wargroove's release, I was feeling nostalgic for Advance Wars, so I listened to some old CO tunes.

Now, almost a week later, I still wake up with Cruel Rose playing in my head, while I can't recall any of Wargroove's tunes. Even though I know I like Sigrid's, I don't actually know how it goes until I actually play it.

Winky wrote: »
    I will admit, I'm a bit down on this game simply because I'm reflexively comparing it to Advance Wars in a lot of ways that might not necessarily be fair (the art, music, and general design just aren't the same level of quality), but at the very least it is absolutely scratching that itch.

But the problem is that now I want a new Advance Wars even more than I did before.

Hmm I think the art and animation in this game are significantly better than AW

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Winky wrote: »

Hmm I think the art and animation in this game are significantly better than AW

Yeah, as someone who actually listens to those midi files regularly, Wargroove is substantially better on all of these factors to me. This may be nostalgia blindness thinking that Dual Strike, et al are way better than they were.

Enc on
    The sound quality maybe it has been a long time and tech advances , the composition? Fuck no.

Played a 4 player game with friends today. One who owned it, another who'd played Advance Wars and one who had no idea what they were doing.

The map more or less paired me and the other veteran against eachother. He lost by not using his commander aggressively and not getting knights to compete with mine.

Up north the two beginners ended rather brutally when one left Caesar in an exposed position and was killed. Then it turned into a slug fest between me and the new player. I won unsurprisingly but it was still a neat learning experience in high income games (1200 vs 1900 at end game), how the ground game worked (we were playing a map with just barracks) and also how scary Sigrid's Wargroove is in terms of the psychological effect it has on players wanting to never interact with her while she has it up.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Wargroove has a perfectly competent ost, but you never get to swing a game in your favor rocking out to something like
    https://youtu.be/RtovlHjBtS8

And I think most of the Commander themes lack character like
    https://youtu.be/mCMVJ7OAKmw

Though I do like Ragna’s theme.

YL9WnCY.png
    I think its more of a mechanical thing than the actual composition. Like the dual strike: WHAM LETS ROCK OUT WITH THIS LIMIT BREAK moments are some of my favorites of all time in any game. The songs are a lot of fun, but aren't (in my opinion) particularly amazing without that context.

I do, however, love them because of that context and have them on my running mix for when I hit about the 2 mile mark for extra pump.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The tag CO power theme for Dual Strike was just so damn good it's almost unfair to compare it to anything else. At least the allied version anyways, I never much cared for the villain version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GCKo7TwSno

It was just so perfectly timed to the action. The slow intro as both CO portraits come down and the sound of the little progress meter filling up, followed by it rocking out as all your units start twinkling and powering up. And with the faint scream in the music, it really felt like every one of your units were all going super saiyan in unison. I wish I could find a short video of it happening in game, because you really need the visual of the game mechanics to appreciate how utterly awesome it is.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    Yeah, the whole experience together was something magical that no game has really done as well since.

You guys have a fondness for dual strike that is alien to me

The double turn power was so overwhelmingly powerful that the whole game revolved around it, which ran entirely counter to what I enjoyed about the game

You guys have a fondness for dual strike that is alien to me

The double turn power was so overwhelmingly powerful that the whole game revolved around it, which ran entirely counter to what I enjoyed about the game

Dual Strike was the mario party of Advance Wars but it was still super satisfying to pull off.

Also the only time you were forced to have two cos was the campaign, you could have traditional battles in any other mode you wanted.

Dual Strike was fucked for balance, but it was fun for steamrolling the AI. Online was still not a “thing” for Nintendo, so it’s not like the game had a massive competitive following.

But yeah the game was broke as shit (remember the items you could give COs?) which is why Days of Ruin basically rebalanced shit from the ground up. When your new units includes a Super SUPER Duper Tank, then maybe power creep is an issue.

YL9WnCY.png
    Sterica wrote: »
    Dual Strike was fucked for balance, but it was fun for steamrolling the AI. Online was still not a “thing” for Nintendo, so it’s not like the game had a massive competitive following.

But yeah the game was broke as shit (remember the items you could give COs?) which is why Days of Ruin basically rebalanced shit from the ground up. When your new units includes a Super SUPER Duper Tank, then maybe power creep is an issue.

That’s just a franchise thing , max and eagle in aw1 , lash in aw2 and so many people in awds. That’s not even counting the usual suspects . Fighting Nell hachi Sturm Colin and Grit was always like pulling teeth.

Dual Strike was not the best Advanced Wars game, but that moment in Advanced Wars where you pulled off a dual strike CO power, and the music changes, and you pull off your FUCK YEAH Overwhelming victory?

That's one of those best moments in a game due to the combination of music, mechanics, and UI spectacle. Like the Skyrim "ka-dunk" for a ranged archery critical, or feeling when you open a chest in a Zelda game, something about the execution of that moment is so well done that you just remember it, and the emotion you felt when you did it for the first few times, in a powerful way.

Hachi hardly counts since he’s a bonus unlock for doing everything. Yeah, balance was never great but Colin/Sasha tag with appropriate equipment (among other combos) was a special kind of broken.

YL9WnCY.png
  • IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    Thanks a lot, all of you who have linked and talked about Advance Wars music!
    I've been listening through the soundtracks for a couple of days now.

I like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5OhOKkHn3Q

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Ivar wrote: »
    Thanks a lot, all of you who have linked and talked about Advance Wars music!
    I've been listening through the soundtracks for a couple of days now.

DoR had the best music in the series easily. Even a throwaway starter villain like The Beast got a goddamned amazing theme song - you unfortunately just never got to hear it in the campaign because his turns are so short and he isn't a playable character in custom games - you have to go into sound test for the full song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r8lfzC22A4

On topic-related stuff though, I appreciate that the Florans' Trebuchet is called a Treebuchet. Nice touch.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Wasn't Days of Ruin the one where there's permanent fog of war and it's set several centuries past the other games so everyone we like or care about is long dead and forgotten?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Wasn't Days of Ruin the one where there's permanent fog of war and it's set several centuries past the other games so everyone we like or care about is long dead and forgotten?

I'm not sure Days of Ruin even takes place on the same world as the other Advance Warses or if it's simply an entirely different universe, much like a lot of Fire Emblem games don't share the same universe.

And I don't think every map was a Fog of War map. Though in the backstory, the apocalyptic asteroid hits did throw up so much dust the sun got blocked out.

anyone want to try some multiplayer online at some point? I'm up for whatever!

• NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    So wow, my xcom/ITB experience isn’t translating to this at. all. chapter 1 was fine, but I’ve failed 2-2 like 5 times now.

On this last time I tried to bring a variety of units, watch enemy attack ranges, and set up building captures. It was going well- I lasted several more turns, pushed them back, and took the next two towns so I was up to 5.

I promptly got run over by 3-4 units that charged out of the fog of war and rolled my entire army.

I’m curious to give the arcade mode a try, because without AW experience the missions feel very unfair.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular

this is part of why mages strike me as really, really good. strong mobility for an infantry, can capture, can alpha strike a fair number of units with crits, and the heal is a great way to turn money into an immediate advantage in situations where you would otherwise be constrained by your recruitment limit
    (the fact that ranking is apparently time based only makes me a bit sad because I tend towards slow, i guess grindy gameplay but i have great kill/death efficiency )

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Noggin wrote: »
    So wow, my xcom/ITB experience isn’t translating to this at. all. chapter 1 was fine, but I’ve failed 2-2 like 5 times now.

On this last time I tried to bring a variety of units, watch enemy attack ranges, and set up building captures. It was going well- I lasted several more turns, pushed them back, and took the next two towns so I was up to 5.

I promptly got run over by 3-4 units that charged out of the fog of war and rolled my entire army.

I’m curious to give the arcade mode a try, because without AW experience the missions feel very unfair.

Yeah, i thoguth i had 2-2 mostly on lockdown, but the reinforcements kept coming and then an over-extension lead to a very dead commander. Sorry Emric! Please be able to move your old man butt faster.

It feels really hard to get good vision without your battlepups getting slaughtered for it on that map. Not sure what the solution is yet... and you kinda need vision, else Giants and Knights from the fog of war just wreck you

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    How can you discuss the unbalanced nature of dual strike without bringing up the Sami/Eagle combo of loading an infantry into a transport chopper, giving the chopper 2 moves to get across the entire map, and then being able to capture the enemy HQ in a single turn?

Of course I also made custom maps with multiple com towers and played them as Javier in that game, because I loved stomping computers into dust repeatedly when I was 14, apparently.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
    Noggin wrote: »

is that the one where it tells you to use the dogs on mountains? Use the dogs on mountains for enhanced vision. Like if one dies, get another. Sets of two dogs or two pikeman are really multiplicatively stronger than one by itself. Attack, attack, attack. If you need to sacrifice a unit because of their ranged stuff, consider building a few swordsman as fodder. Also, your general can drop his crystal and build up to having another so consider keeping a crystal with your trebs in the back and then pushing with pikeman/archers/general.

and since i can't edit. remember you can win by killing the leader OR by taking out the base. so if you can get your trebs in range of the base :)

oh wow, just hit act 3 mission 3 with the new flying type and yikes.

Pailryder wrote: »
    oh wow, just hit act 3 mission 3 with the new flying type and yikes.

3-3 really wants you to use air units to quickly back up Mercia’s party and shut down the bombers murdering her. Set up a choke on Nuru using pikemen and a trebuchet and ballista which slow pushes the south villages and then rescue Mercia with a wagon.

• NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    I have another attempt in progress that seems to be going more smoothly, so my guess is that this game favors keeping your army relatively packed together?

I had been splitting off to go after both villages at once, so my puppers had little backup and my attacking units had little variety. I'd lose vision, then either get ambushed or threatened by something that group was weak against. There were also some turns where I figured I'd buy nothing and then a big unit, but it seems much better to always make something. Like, "Pass + Trebuchet" vs. "Pikeman + Pikeman + Trebuchet" only delays the big guy 1 turn and gives me two more units.

Battletag: Noggin#1936