As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Slay the Spire] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Start a YouTube channel, penguin!

I mean, i'm distinctly complimented here! but that sounds like a LOT of work when i could just rant at you all here on the forums D:

Do a Twitch channel, they're super easy and awesome!

I genuinely have no idea if you're being serious or not (And honestly, with a broken headset/erratic schedule with candlemaking... Eeeeeeh?)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Start a YouTube channel, penguin!

I mean, i'm distinctly complimented here! but that sounds like a LOT of work when i could just rant at you all here on the forums D:

Do a Twitch channel, they're super easy and awesome!

I genuinely have no idea if you're being serious or not (And honestly, with a broken headset/erratic schedule with candlemaking... Eeeeeeh?)

I’m quite serious. Most webcams have built in microphones these days. You should install OBS and to a practice recording as though you’re streaming (explain card choices, path decisions, etc) and see how it feels, looks, and sounds.

You don’t have to worry about a schedule unless you plan on streaming for a living. Just share the videos with us, and if others wander into your videos, that’s just a bonus.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    In case you’re interested, ZP, I’d be happy to walk you through setting up OBS. It’s free and pretty easy to use - the most time I spent on it was getting the noise gate calibrated so that my rooms ambient noise was cut out.

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Streaming candle-making sounds awesome though~

It's really boring to watch honestly. I measure out some amount of wax, shove it in the microwave to melt, add dye as necessary, grumble that it's too hot to pour, wait for it to cool enough, pour, walk off.

Some hours later I show b up to use a hair drier on it to deal with any bubbles or pits. Some hours later after that I sick them in the fridge. Some hours later I finally get them out of the molds.

(Why do you think I spend so long playing sts? =D)

Now streaming what I do with the candles.... That'd just get me banned from twitch. (I sell to the kink community, let's leave it at that)

Still, thanks for the thoughts on streaming. I'll have a think - there's clearly some interest!

The Zombie Penguin on
  • MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    I know it's not as interesting as making candles for the kink community, but have people here tried playing with mods yet? I never really felt any desire to get to high ascension levels so now that I've killed the Heart with all the official characters I decided to give the mods a look. Tried the Disciple and the Slimebound so far and they are both pretty cool. Didn't really click with the Disciple - can't see how to make a deck that has proper scaling to beat the later bosses. In fact the deck I made had inverse scaling and got worse and worse as the fight with Champion continued. Maybe I didn't figure out the whole thing yet but having powers with limited duration means in longer fights you are getting weaker. So yeah, one Act 2 loss was enough for me for now.

Slimebound was awesome. It's basically a pet class, you get your own swarm of slimes that act a bit like Defect's orbs. It also has an unique debuff in Goop and some interesting combos. Also unique reactions to some events, I managed to recruit the gold-eating slime from Act 1 random event and fed him gold along the way to make him grow. I recommend giving it a try, modding is really easy with Steam workshop.

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Streaming candle-making sounds awesome though~

It's really boring to watch honestly. I measure out some amount of wax, shove it in the microwave to melt, add dye as necessary, grumble that it's too hot to pour, wait for it to cool enough, pour, walk off.

Some hours later I show b up to use a hair drier on it to deal with any bubbles or pits. Some hours later after that I sick them in the fridge. Some hours later I finally get them out of the molds.

(Why do you think I spend so long playing sts? =D)

Now streaming what I do with the candles.... That'd just get me banned from twitch. (I sell to the kink community, let's leave it at that)

Still, thanks for the thoughts on streaming. I'll have a think - there's clearly some interest!

Dude, you’d be surprised what people watch on Twitch.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Yeah, there's a reason why Twitch started allowing IRL/Life streamers on there. I've seen people just walking down the street and talking to their thousands of viewers (one lady walked into a signpost). There's mukbang/eating streams, cooking shows, dance lessons, etc.

If you wanna start streaming, I say go ahead. If you don't actually want to do it, don't let us weirdos force you into it.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. It's ceartinly worth some thoguht!

If nothing else, you'd get to hear me laughing when a run goes off the rails and fails horribly.

I have a feeling my current run is about to. On the other hand, i DID just get to cast fiend fire for 120 damage per...

(Pen Nib + 30 STR + Vuln on Giant Head. Who even needs time dilation!?)

Woo, won post patch with the Defect.

Now just the Ironclad, the one I'm probably worst at.

steam_sig.png

Yup, i was right. Dead to awoken one on turn 2. Deck did just not have the defensive oomf it needed to let it set up all that strength - or a reaper to let it heal up after setting up all that strength. (Also not being able to buy dead branch by 10g was VERY RUDE, but Velvet Choker probably made that a dud, even in a Fiend Fire/Corruption deck)

• Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    Do mods disable achievements? I'm still achievement hunting but I want to play with googly eyes.

Marty81 wrote: »
    Do mods disable achievements? I'm still achievement hunting but I want to play with googly eyes.

Yes they do. *sad googly eyes emote*

Maybe it was my relic loadout and cards but that Time Warp boss felt way easier than the Awakened One fight. Is it because he has no minions to distract me?

steam_sig.png

Maybe it was my relic loadout and cards but that Time Warp boss felt way easier than the Awakened One fight. Is it because he has no minions to distract me?

How easy or hard the act 3 boss feels like is very random, depending on both your own power level at that point, what sort of deck you have and whether the boss directly counters it etc. Given how close to the global achievement rates are for all the three "kill X act 3 boss" cheevos they are fairly balanced all in all.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Yes, they are relatively balanced in a vacuum, but your deck will drastically change how each one feels in a given run.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    Yup, i was right. Dead to awoken one on turn 2. Deck did just not have the defensive oomf it needed to let it set up all that strength - or a reaper to let it heal up after setting up all that strength. (Also not being able to buy dead branch by 10g was VERY RUDE, but Velvet Choker probably made that a dud, even in a Fiend Fire/Corruption deck)

I was 3g short on being able to buy a Kunai from the final merchant last night, and I was sure it was going to cause me to lose against the heart.
    ... But it didn't. The long-story-short version of things is that Ice Cream along with Mummified Hand (they were the first two relics I found - this would have been a great run trying to ascend higher with ...) and a deck that just didn't need to play everything out thanks to Tohii (I think? The one that makes 5> damage reduce to 1) has the capacity to cast ~16 energy Malaise and that kinda fucks up most bosses. Icing on the cake was having saved two power potions for the fight, and both of them yielding Caltops (I don't think I needed these, but they certainly sped things up).

Anyway, a good, fun run that helped me learn some new shenanigans thanks to Ice Cream, and now I can go back to climbing ascension levels~

• FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    Mirkel wrote: »
    I know it's not as interesting as making candles for the kink community, but have people here tried playing with mods yet? I never really felt any desire to get to high ascension levels so now that I've killed the Heart with all the official characters I decided to give the mods a look. Tried the Disciple and the Slimebound so far and they are both pretty cool. Didn't really click with the Disciple - can't see how to make a deck that has proper scaling to beat the later bosses. In fact the deck I made had inverse scaling and got worse and worse as the fight with Champion continued. Maybe I didn't figure out the whole thing yet but having powers with limited duration means in longer fights you are getting weaker. So yeah, one Act 2 loss was enough for me for now.

Slimebound was awesome. It's basically a pet class, you get your own swarm of slimes that act a bit like Defect's orbs. It also has an unique debuff in Goop and some interesting combos. Also unique reactions to some events, I managed to recruit the gold-eating slime from Act 1 random event and fed him gold along the way to make him grow. I recommend giving it a try, modding is really easy with Steam workshop.

I just knocked out my last two achievements so I'm all in on mods only from here on out.

Marisa is by far my favorite of the mod classes. A lot of her cards have nifty interactions with each other and there are a lot of different directions a deck can go and most of them require a decent amount of thought while playing. I've won like ten games at A15+ with her and every deck has been different, and relied on different synergies/cards for their win conditions. She's maybe a tad strong at higher ascension but not quite busted, I think. She seems like she could just be wildly overpowered at A0, but I'd say it would still be good for a few entertaining runs.

Great art and theme, A+ home run.

The Mystic is the only other character that I've come back to more than just one or two times. It's based on playing alternating physical/magical cards to power each other up. The main idea is there but it felt a little lacking in the intricacy of card interactions beyond making sure you can activate your spells/artes. It was being updated pretty regularly last I checked though.

Presentation is decent and you are basically a red mage so I'm rooting for it.

I've tried a bunch of relic mods but most of them include like new boss and elite fights that I don't particularly care for and you inexplicably can't toggle them off so I haven't stuck with any yet even though some of the relics are really interesting.

Get super fast mode. Go fast.

Torii is the name of that Relic btw

Steam profile
    If I found it more often I'd probably have it properly memorized. Instead I'll just continue pining for its glorious, wonderful presence. <3

Am I supposed to attack minions first?

steam_sig.png

• mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    For the Awakened One it’s basically never correct to ignore the minions. The only reason to do so would be (1) you can easily kill his first form in a turn or two and (2) your deck really needs to play lots of powers to beat his second form.

I can’t imagine what that kind of deck would even look like. Maybe like a five energy deck that gets Deadly Poison and 4 Catalyst+ in the opening hand, and then has lots of Footworks and defence?

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I think the general rule is that you kill the minions first if they don't come back. If they do come back (because the main enemy summons more), you have to balance applying damage to the leader vs burning down minions as a more efficient way to prevent damage (killing a dude who's about to attack for 25 is better than spending the same energy to get 25 block). If the minions scale, especially, you have to keep them pared down.

This is why it's important to have AOE attacks as well as single target attacks.

I think the general rule is that you kill the minions first if they don't come back. If they do come back (because the main enemy summons more), you have to balance applying damage to the leader vs burning down minions as a more efficient way to prevent damage (killing a dude who's about to attack for 25 is better than spending the same energy to get 25 block). If the minions scale, especially, you have to keep them pared down.

This is why it's important to have AOE attacks as well as single target attacks.

So, frequently you will want to kill minions. You just have to make sure that your deck is fast enough to also do enough damage to the main baddie.

Steam profile
    I've gotten to the Act 3 boss a few times in A18 with the Silent, but just can't quite get past them.... This deck could have, I had like 4 Catalysts and Corpse Explosion for the shapes. But just died on Turn 2 :lol:, couldn't draw my Apparitions or and Defense basically.

Steam profile
    Corpse Explosion does wonders for the soul.

That and the one that shifts leftover poison to another enemy.

Man, mobile/Switch versions of Slay the Spire can't come fast enough.

steam_sig.png

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Beat the awakened one on asc7 in one turn after his transformation, thanks largely to a 80+ damage bludgeon with necronomicon

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    Corpse Explosion does wonders for the soul.

That and the one that shifts leftover poison to another enemy.

Man, mobile/Switch versions of Slay the Spire can't come fast enough.

The poison shifter is a Relic, so suuuuper more hard to come by than Corpse Explosion unfortunately. It's one of my favorite Relics though for fun.

Steam profile
    edited February 2019
    Now that I've beaten the heart I'm climbing Ascension

Just had a Bullet Time + Snecko Eye + card draw deck with Silent. Ended up facing the worst possible boss for that build, Time Eater, but... maybe that isn't the worst one. Usually Bullet Time lets you just empty your hand, sure, but being able to hit exactly 12 on the card count because everything is at 0 cost was tremendously useful. A lot of cards in your hand won't be necessary.

I really enjoy Silent now that I've decided to ignore Noxious Fumes decks

Evil Multifarious on
    Ha. I still love Noxious Fumes, but have kinda forsaken it recently because it's way too slow for the heart. I can't wait to start using it again. XD
    kime wrote: »
    I've gotten to the Act 3 boss a few times in A18 with the Silent, but just can't quite get past them.... This deck could have, I had like 4 Catalysts and Corpse Explosion for the shapes. But just died on Turn 2 :lol:, couldn't draw my Apparitions or and Defense basically.
    I'm genuinely curious if I'm really bad for being pretty wary of the Apparition event? I took it once and it really didn't pan out for me, and I feel like I've never been in another position where it seemed like the right call. Do people just take it whenever because "when it works, it really works!" or is there some sneakier bit of managing it?

The apparition event is risky because (on top of the huge HP reduction) it adds a big wad of cards to your deck, cards you don't want to use every turn but sometimes REALLY want to use

If you get it early you can build around it (thin deck, big damage output, or upgrading them so they're not ethereal anymore) but if you see it late, it could ruin a good deck

Sometimes you have a great offensive component already built but you're lagging on defense, and then the apparition event is perfect

Yeah I rarely if ever take the apparition event or the vampirism event. Unless I'm playing a glass cannon or some other sort of specific build, why would I ever want to take those?

Is the JAKKED relic worth taking?

steam_sig.png

Jakked isn't bad in a Strength or self-damaging build.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Sorry, I meant whatever that relic is that you get in the JAXXED event. The one that does something but also takes away strength at the end of your first turn.

steam_sig.png

Sorry, I meant whatever that relic is that you get in the JAXXED event. The one that does something but also takes away strength at the end of your first turn.

Ah. Yeah, a first-turn +3 STR usually isn't that great in most decks. That is of course unless you found the Clockwork Souvenir to make the +3 permanent. Free STR for everyone!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    The JAXXED Relic is fine if you don't want the other options, because it has no downside and can only ever be positive.

If you have Toxic Egg, Apparition event is easy and always take it. Honestly though, beyond that? I still usually take it. Apparitions are just soooo good. Maybe I'm wrong, though? It's definitely an event you take more often than not (from watching really good A20 streamers), but I don't know the exact rules on when to.

Steam profile
    I think +3 strength in the first turn is quite strong for some builds (limit break, lots of shivs, any kind of mega turn build with draw and energy)

I've definitely done an Ironclad deck where that and Flex+ led to a great Limit Break on turn 1, though you'll need to either get lucky or cycle your deck quickly

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Yeah I rarely if ever take the apparition event or the vampirism event. Unless I'm playing a glass cannon or some other sort of specific build, why would I ever want to take those?

Is the JAKKED relic worth taking?

apparitions also work great if you're going barricade/block. Basically you get 5 free turns of building up block

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig