As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Resident Evil HD REmake and Resident Evil: Zero HD released, REmake 2 announced!

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Does Mr. X show up earlier in the B runs? I'm not to worried about the true ending, one sentence in an article jogged my memory and I remember it from the original.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Does Mr. X show up earlier in the B runs? I'm not to worried about the true ending, one sentence in an article jogged my memory and I remember it from the original.

He shows up once you either enter or walk past the door to the STARS office.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I feel like there isn't much incentive between Leon A/Claire A like there was in the original. Are Leon A and B basically the same thing?

wVEsyIc.png
    B is the same for both characters.

You start in a different spot and your first run through the station is a bit different but other than that most everything is exactly the same and the game doesn’t change anything else around until the Lab.

• ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    B scenario is funny
    If you don't quick turn and haul ass instantly after picking up the cutters you're dead five zombies activate after picking them up with one of them literally half a foot from your back

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    B scenario is funny
    If you don't quick turn and haul ass instantly after picking up the cutters you're dead five zombies activate after picking them up with one of them literally half a foot from your back

Yeah, that was fun.

Just finished Leon B. MUCH tougher boss than Claire A, though I feel like they should have let Claire finish it off. That was her fight!

wVEsyIc.png
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/phzIE-yH9k0

Faster pussy cat, kill kill

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Man Resident Evil 7 is an extremely well made The Thing, Wrong. Turn, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Saw, and Evil Dead mashup. It’s cool to see REmake 2 updating the original RE2 and going to a modified RE4 style with more emphasis on horror, but RE7 is such an interesting confluence of having to make up for RE6, the Amnesia style games that were popularized for years lining up RE7, and the cancellation of Silent Hills and PT.

Yeah as much as I love REMake 2 the tone of RE7 feels a lot more mature. And not mature as in, horror \ dark, though that works too, mature as in the team for 7 was firing on all cylinders combining all those influences and the mood of that game.

I think REMake 2 hit the sweet spot gameplay wise combining the unstoppable super enemy with regular enemies. Felt like a missed opportunity in RE7.

As much as I don’t think RE3 is worth remaking and would prefer an original game I am down for another iteration of the REMake 2 gameplay design.

I think my main reservation of recommending REMake 2 to people would be the length. Seems like a lot of causal players won’t even play second run, but those who do are basically going to find themselves replaying the same game twice.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
    I just started Re7, and yikes. This game is beautiful, you'd think it was newer.

wVEsyIc.png
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I feel like there isn't much incentive between Leon A/Claire A like there was in the original. Are Leon A and B basically the same thing?

B runs start you in a different place (basically skipping all the turorial areas), and move some key items around (mostly in the first part of the station, but some other places as well), but all the character-specific stuff is essentially the same. Probably the biggest change is the new handgun and ammo.
    Playing Leon A/Claire B or vise versa shows you 95% of the content.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    There are some new "Gotcha" Moments in the B scenario also.
    Licker in the Club hallway / Licker busting through the ceiling of the red jewel scepter room / A second zombie being in the room with the Flamethrower/Spark shot that activates as soon as you jump down after pulling the plugs

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    If any of you are playing this game on a 21:9 or higher monitor you should check out the mod that removes the vignetting effect. It's kinda bugged on ultra wide resolutions and the game looks much better without it.

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Wow, Lickers (and aiming at them right at your feet with the shotgun) can fuck all the way off.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I dont think I killed any lickers this time around. I might have to get to the cryo lab though

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I just walked around them cryo lab lickers

Exit the room and come back in, they'll have changed positions

Oh, for the days when they were weak to acid rounds! That was a thing, right? They didn't like acid?

dN0T6ur.png
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    So the zombie laying by the door in the morgue is some sort of super zombie. On both of my playthroughs so far he seems to take 3x the bullets any other zombie in the game takes. He gives me more trouble than Mr X. I hate him.

• GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Tube wrote: »
    I love you 7, but you look like hot garbage. You look very very bad.
    I just started Re7, and yikes. This game is beautiful, you'd think it was newer.
    The truth is out there

HOLY SHIT we interrupt this post because I just, for the first time ever, got the double-meaning of that tagline. The truth is out there, meaning it's waiting to be found (and is worth searching for), but also, it's out there, like it's gonna be really weird when you find it. Clever!

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
    So the zombie laying by the door in the morgue is some sort of super zombie. On both of my playthroughs so far he seems to take 3x the bullets any other zombie in the game takes. He gives me more trouble than Mr X. I hate him.

Each Zombie in the game has a unique health pool - This specific zombie apparently has the highest health pool of all zombies apparently

It takes less shots to down X then it does to kill this zombie without lucky crits

SkutSkut wrote: »
    That's good stuff, especially about the bosses.
    I've needed good tactics for the later G bosses. And the early G boss. And the middle G boss. And the G adults.

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Wyborn wrote: »

Oh, for the days when they were weak to acid rounds! That was a thing, right? They didn't like acid?

They go down in two acid rounds right? I had an easier time killing them with Claire than with Leon.

EDIT: yup! reading that pastebin over there Acid Rounds do a lot more damage than regular rounds + DOT.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    I built my entire approach around not having to kill any lickers. It's mostly easy, though the one that auto attacks when you get the medal is a pain. I usually just eat the hit and heal up.

Oh, brilliant glitch for Leon runs:
    When you go to the Records Room to get the library shelf mover thing, check the Heart door so it jiggles the handle.
    For whatever reason, this despawns the enemies outside in the corridor you're about to leave through, which makes running away from Mr X so much better.

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular

They go down in two acid rounds right? I had an easier time killing them with Claire than with Leon.

EDIT: yup! reading that pastebin over there Acid Rounds do a lot more damage than regular rounds + DOT.

You sure? I'm looking at the damage value for Flame Rounds on them and it's listed as 1440-2178, while Acid is 1400

I've found that if a Licker is on the ground, it's usually better to pop them with a flame round and pump a few bullets into them to make sure it takes before they get up

Assuming one has to kill them, of course

dN0T6ur.png
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Yeah, the Licker that prompted my post above was the one that shows up after you get the medal in the cell from the statue of the woman. Asshole took me to the red twice because my shotgun aiming was trash while he was right at my feet. Which was constantly.

And then in the morgue, I could have just run away from those two zombies, but I wound up taking out their legs in like three shots. And it occurs to me that I only checked the far left slab and the one with the key. I missed something in those other slabs, didn't I?

Fawst on
    From that document, flame rounds are better IF the licker's on the ground as the DOT lasts a lot longer and is enough to kill them. Acid rounds are better if they're on the wall/ceiling, but if they are then you can definitely just walk past them before they can react.

Morgue drawers:
    The 2nd one from the door has a red herb, and the furthest one on the right as you enter has a flash grenade (and a dead guy I've never confirmed was a zombie, as I always put him back in his drawer. He may wake up when you grab the key, I dunno).

GMaster7 wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    I love you 7, but you look like hot garbage. You look very very bad.
    The truth is out there

HOLY SHIT we interrupt this post because I just, for the first time ever, got the double-meaning of that tagline. The truth is out there, meaning it's waiting to be found (and is worth searching for), but also, it's out there, like it's gonna be really weird when you find it. Clever!

I've been nothing but impressed by 7. The facial models are incredible, much like 2's were(though that seemed to be mostly in cutscenes, 7's are all real time).

wVEsyIc.png
    SkutSkut wrote: »

Lol.

So Claire's G4 fight is based entirely on the number of eyes that you pop. Which means I struggled to get those full channel sparkshots on him for nothing. So just use the Minigun, bring the SMG and lots of Grenades. According to this 6 Grenades alone will finish him off.

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular

You sure? I'm looking at the damage value for Flame Rounds on them and it's listed as 1440-2178, while Acid is 1400

I've found that if a Licker is on the ground, it's usually better to pop them with a flame round and pump a few bullets into them to make sure it takes before they get up

Assuming one has to kill them, of course

no no you're right my bad. One Acid Round should get them tho (and that's been my experience when I cleared lickers in the lab). Then again, adaptive difficulty am I right?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    I have never had a issue with the Maiden statue licker in the C4 room.

It attacks as soon as you pick up the medal so if you keep the library door clear by preventing it falling over or pushing it back into place if the shelf does fall over you can quick turn and haul ass out the door into the safety of the library so far i have not been hit by it yet

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    So you can cheese the difficulty by getting hurt more often and not killing things?

Hmm.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    That licker homes right at me and hits me every time. No matter how sneaky or fast I am.

Watching speedruns, it looks like you have to activate it then wait for just the right moment to run around the pillar. I have thus far failed to manage this, just like they seem to be able to weave between G-Adults with ease.

For claire i just pop them with acid rounds for Leon i pop a red/blue and tank the grab it does almost no damage if it can't poison you

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    At first I was to run past those G monsters but then they got repositioned to be at the choke points. So I just kill them all with the flame thrower

I'm now 50% sure that X will notice if you're trying to circle kite him in the library and will break pursuit to wait at the top of the ladder for you because he's done it twice to me and gave me a heart attack both times.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    it's difficult to circle kite him in the library anyway because he can go up the ladder just as fast as you and down it much faster. If he's in the library and I need to do the shelves thing I'll just abandon it and lead him to the east wing

Acid rounds were the best rounds in the original game. They switched it around and made Flame rounds the good ones. It was a cruel choice for returning players.

If you pre-arrange the shelves so you only have to move one once after using the lever a flash grenade would probably give you enough time to move the shelf and climb the stairs with X in the room.

• SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Konjac and Uroi-Mochi beat, Flan is giving me trouble weirdly enough and I haven't tried the other Tofu yet except to get a feel for him

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    My thoughts on RE2 after finishing with Claire:
    First off, fantastic game from start to finish. Maybe it's just the old gamer in me, but I do miss area-to-area style gameplay that RE1-3 was centered around. Having options of which rooms to explore gave some personal freedom, while still steering players in a certain direction. Then again, I really don't like open-world, do whatever you want games, so I'm probably in the minority here.

Some of the things I really appreciated in the game were:
    • The blue/red highlights in a room. Saves a lot of pointless searching.
    • The threat of enemy zombies in the early going. There was a lot of extra ammo and healing later though, but the front half was rough.
    • Mr X. I have a love/hate relationship with him. As soon as that fucker appeared, I ran all the way back the the Chief's desk and waited. The worst part wasn't the chasing, but those fucking footsteps power walking through the hallways. Made every door opening a nightmare.
    • When Birkin killed Mr. X! I actually cheered.
    • Having a second path for a different experience. Always liked the A/B scenarios in the first game and glad to see they dropped the item sharing between paths for the remake.
    • The expanding inventory space was great. Felt like it was spaced out nicely in time with a new weapon discovery, so you could carry another weapon with ammo.
    • I didn't mind not being able to drop or swap items, although I can see how that would bother some people.
    • The overall length of the game felt good. Around the lab it was starting to wear a bit thin, and then things ended. Of course, I spent a lot of time wandering the RPD so that's probably a bit more on me.
    • Thumbs up on modernizing Claire's attire to something more practical. Although she did look like grimy, beat-up Lara Croft after losing the jacket.

Some things that bothered me:
    • My PC had some framerate issues in the police station, especially in the main hallway area. Like it got to be a slideshow. Not sure if that's my videocard (probably) or just too much texture/lighting shit in one area. Maybe both?
    • Why do I have to "quit" to the title screen, then go into the menu to exit? That seems like an oversight.
    • Why was there no way back to the Control Room the Office in the sewers? It was the room you start in after waking up. I made a quick look around the room and accidentally hopped down. There should have been a ladder nearby to get you back up there. That area (and it's items) were forever lost to me.
    • Maybe change the Mission Objective in the first Birkin fight from "Find a way out" to "Defeat the monster". Cause lord knows I searched high and low for a ladder or an escape route before looking up what to do.
    • What was the point of the Club doors? I never found a key and accessed the rooms via other methods. I'm assuming it's a Leon thing.
    • Why were there a few spots you couldn't reach like the Boiler Room, which again I'm assuming was a Leon path. Maybe just black out the names so I don't spend hours trying to figure out how to get to them. :)

BTW, am I looking too deeply into it, or are the locker codes Easter eggs? Spoilered for codes:
    CAP = Capcom
    DCM = Devil May Cry (wrong order, but same letters which falls in line with...)
    SZF = Street Fighter Zero (Alpha in USA)

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
This discussion has been closed.