As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

join us in glorious pod-hood [jobs]

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Cello wrote: »
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    Liiya wrote: »
    "Are there clouds at night?" - colleague who has never look up at night.

i had a colleague that didn't realize that water expanded when frozen, she ended up in a Forbes 30 under 30 thing...

Had another that had Stress = Force / Area on his dry erase board, which for an engineer is like having to have your name tattooed on your forehead.

I expect that lots of people don't know water expands when it freezes

She was an engineer and a new homeowner, she shoulda known!

If anything, being an engineer makes it more likely she wouldn't know

Common sense is especially less common in our profession

... because when you've filled your head with things like tensile strength of 10 gauge aluminum wire, how to manually assemble heptane from those little atom balls, and how many 2 ohm resistors you need to use to get ~1.5 ohms of total resistance across a 3-path parallel circuit, simple things tend to fall out.

Suddenly every wizard in fiction makes sense.

Wizards knew how muggle shit worked, they just forgot

Muggle is such a British word i felt scrub was more of an insult to that type of wizard for American magic users

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I subbed for a teacher today who wrote their sub plans with truly terrible syntax.

I couldn't understand them, none of the students could understand them.

It was like they were written by Charlie Kelly.

How were the commas?
    Di dt he yw ri te li ke th is ? Di dt he yu se co mm as as we ll ?

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    My email yesterday:

Hello,

I have not heard back from support either by email or by phone. I left voice messages last week.

I was unable to properly process payroll for Company X due to a change in bank accounts. I first requested assistance with this two weeks ago.

Please assist me in forwarding my questions to the correct people.

Best regards

Rachel

Their reply today:

Thank you for writing in and our apologies for the delay - it’s not our intention for it to seem like we’re ignoring you - we’ve been busy.

I’m not sure what we can do to assist you with Company X. Could you give me a call so we may discuss this?

- signed, no name.

:|

Can you show up physically at their office?

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Today at lunch I educated some of the teachers on the unfortunate side effects of selective cannibalism in tribal societies in relation to ancient misogyny.

And their response was something akin to, "WHY DO YOU KNOW THESE THINGS!?!?!"

A fair inquiry.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Ahead of an unusually snowy forecast, Seattle is making huge runs on bread and milk right now. I'm off today, but got word that Nuka's store has a line for their dairy section.

Bread & milk don't even keep very long! I've never understood why these are bad weather staples.

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    Ahead of an unusually snowy forecast, Seattle is making huge runs on bread and milk right now. I'm off today, but got word that Nuka's store has a line for their dairy section.

Bread & milk don't even keep very long! I've never understood why these are bad weather staples.

Yo y'all are forgetting the eggs, must not be a bad storm, you're not even at full french toast yet. When everyone runs out of nutmeg... it's too late you're already dead.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    All of the schools in our district are getting out two hours early due to the expected winter storm hitting Washington state this weekend.

Or as I am referring to it now: Fimbulwinter 2019

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Today at lunch I educated some of the teachers on the unfortunate side effects of selective cannibalism in tribal societies in relation to ancient misogyny.

A fair inquiry.

I’ve done similar thing but my excuse is that I’m a librarian and we tend to learn a wide variety of strange things in the process of reference questions.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    My email yesterday:

Hello,

I have not heard back from support either by email or by phone. I left voice messages last week.

I was unable to properly process payroll for Company X due to a change in bank accounts. I first requested assistance with this two weeks ago.

Please assist me in forwarding my questions to the correct people.

Best regards

Rachel

Their reply today:

Thank you for writing in and our apologies for the delay - it’s not our intention for it to seem like we’re ignoring you - we’ve been busy.

I’m not sure what we can do to assist you with Company X. Could you give me a call so we may discuss this?

- signed, no name.

:|

Can you show up physically at their office?

They’re in Colorado, so... no.

And thanks to everyone for confirming that their response was not great! I’ll reach out to them tomorrow.
    Weaver wrote: »

You can freeze both bread and milk!

Bread’s a handy staple to have on hand because sandwiches don’t require anything beyond some spreads and a knife. Quick, easy and universally liked.

And milk’s good for cereal (another quick and easy meal) and hot cocoa and tea and coffee.

• DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Fuck it, I'm sorely tempted to restart Ye Olde Shoppe of Awesome as an engineering consultancy and taking my chances.

rd1pMiO

• DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Last week I went through a training for our program installing sensors in elderly clients homes for independent living. Went through all the parts, got things squared away, figured out HIPAA stuff and got access to internal systems so I can see what is scheduled when. The program is starting the week after next!

I'm sure it will surprise no one that the rollout has been delayed.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I had "training" today with a few other people, that my boss and his not-quite-boss-but-like-half-step-above-laterally where we were supposed to learn a bit about a whole process handled by another team, one that is currently down a full-time employee. They don't necessarily need a whole other person, just some coverage for emergencies or days with particularly heavy workloads, so they figured having a few people that could fill-in in a pinch would be a good idea. The guy leading the training is a cool dude but it didn't go hot, stuff didn't work, and we didn't really learn a whole lot.

I've been at this company for about a year now and I've cleared a backlog left by my predecessor (not really his fault, he just got shuffled around and couldn't stay on top of it) and now I'm just kinda humming along with routine monthly processes and the odd random request that takes up a day or two. So, seeing an opportunity to take on some more responsibility and potentially get into a raise, I offered to my boss and his not-quite-boss that I could take over that coverage roll in a more permanent manner. Do some more intensive training/shadowing with that team and split my time between my current duties and the new stuff. They seemed enthusiastic about my enthusiasm and my boss said that he'd been thinking the same thing, but then told me that he has another project for me. A potentially arduous one, another task that was formerly handled by someone else in a position that had been abdicated, another backlog.

One involving tape drives.

Send help.

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I can't wait to have insurance again. The foot pain and swelling is really frustrating. Would cost $200 plus to go to urgent care.

In good news I have a phone interview on the 12th so I'm looking forward to that.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Nuka just got home and showed me pictures from her store. People cleaned the place out like it's the fucking apocalypse.

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Ye-ah, although we stocked up on canned goods and dry goods earlier in the week, I sent @Moriveth to Target today to pick up... bread and milk, actually.

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »
    I subbed for a teacher today who wrote their sub plans with truly terrible syntax.

I couldn't understand them, none of the students could understand them.

It was like they were written by Charlie Kelly.

How were the commas?
    Di dt he yw ri te li ke th is ? Di dt he yu se co mm as as we ll ?

thank you for this example; it fits nicely in with something I've been trying to express

Tamin on
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    If you think it's a good idea to ship a shock absorber (or any hydraulic, probably) in the compressed state, that is the wrong way to ship it.

The box it was shipped in was destroyed and there's now a hole in the trailer that the container was in. And a dent in a trailer a few bays down. Thankfully the dude in the truck wasn't hurt.

sig.gif
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Today is the birthday of Friedlieb Ferdinand Runge, the first person to isolate pure caffeine. I'm about to venerate the discovery with a small sacrifice.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Ye-ah, although we stocked up on canned goods and dry goods earlier in the week, I sent @Moriveth to Target today to pick up... bread and milk, actually.

Seem to me the thing about milk and bread versus canned goods is how long people are expecting to be without power or supplies:

Just a day or two? Milk and bread.

Months? Canned goods.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • LoisLaneLoisLane Registered User regular

A fair inquiry.
    What are the unfortunate side effects?

• LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    All y'all talkin' bout snow and I'm over here like

SWJSyLi.png

What season do we get today!

To elaborate in less than 48 hours we went from highs of 78 to chance of sleet/snow. It’s been a really weird winter I feel because usually there’s at least a couple of weeks of consistent cold but instead it’s just been this bullshit forever.

• SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    working 15 hours today! But I don't have to come in for my usual Saturday shift so I get a Normal Person weekend for once!

8EVmPzM.jpg
    edited February 2019
    Got another phone interview for Monday or Tuesday, just gotta figure out which day. I figure Monday is better since I already have one for Tuesday.

Edit: is it weird to thank the recruiter for reaching out in the email that I am putting the best times for me for the phone interview?

Stragint on
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    Wednesday, we were the coldest place in the world.

(We also beat an over-one hundred year old low temperature record.)

• DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    At taser training and my dumb ass opted for the full ride instead of the drive stun.

Just, holy fuck.

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Docshifty wrote: »
    At taser training and my dumb ass opted for the full ride instead of the drive stun.

Just, holy fuck.

How's ya muscles feeling? Was it fun tensing all of them at once?

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    My master woodworker got himself a third fucking DUI.

God damn it.

Is the company going to provide a new Huffy for him?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    LoisLane wrote: »

A fair inquiry.

Fuckin' prions. Prions are horrifying and more people should know about them.

Pinfeldorf wrote: »

A fair inquiry.

Cannibalism is why I can't donate blood.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »

A fair inquiry.

?????????

• BhowBhow Sunny day, sweeping the clouds away. On my way to where the air is sweet.Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    ...alright. I'd really like you to expand on this.

e: (please.)

Bhow on

A fair inquiry.

?????????

I was born in the UK in 88 so at least in the US they wont let me donate blood because of the scare of mad cow disease.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    He just finds it too delicious to give up

I've now got two phone interviews for aerospace stuff because I reached out and bugged people directly after they went silent. Fingers crossed! Again!

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

A fair inquiry.

?????????

I was born in the UK in 88 so at least in the US they wont let me donate blood because of the scare of mad cow disease.

Ahhh cownibbalism.

steam_sig.png
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Good: it is Friday, and there are work-provided bagels

Bad: they didn't bring any jalapeno salsa cream cheese this time and it is my favorite

• LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    So after a scare of my updating my phone’s firmware and suddenly losing 3 years of changes to my notes app i’ve been putting my stuff into my password manager like I probably should have been on the first place, and was wondering who wins the game of having the highest amount of unique logins they need for their job?

I have 16.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    So after a scare of my updating my phone’s firmware and suddenly losing 3 years of changes to my notes app i’ve been putting my stuff into my password manager like I probably should have been on the first place, and was wondering who wins the game of having the highest amount of unique logins they need for their job?

I have 16.

You got me beat, I only have like... 8? I think.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    All y'all talkin' bout snow and I'm over here like

SWJSyLi.png

What season do we get today!

Last time (aka earlier this week) we had nice mid-spring mid-fall weather.

Today? Winter!

ndvz81u.png

This discussion has been closed.