As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

join us in glorious pod-hood [jobs]

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I'm at work. Snow is falling in Seattle already, though quite light so far. I fully anticipate leaving early today, though.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    Docshifty wrote: »
    At taser training and my dumb ass opted for the full ride instead of the drive stun.

Just, holy fuck.

How's ya muscles feeling? Was it fun tensing all of them at once?

I inadvertently called the instructor a motherfucker and then spent the whole time doing that super weird pain laugh.

But yeah, I am so ready to sleep. It is surprisingly exhausting.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I would have said I don't have that many logins, but they really start adding up in a hurry. 21, I think?

I've got different logins for email, intranet, scheduling, timecards, cash drawer, program calendar and room reservations, interlibrary loan, budget planning, purchasing, our primary supply vendor, the desktop version of the ILS, the in-development browser version of the ILS, weeding lists, in-depth collection statistics, cardholder statistics, the tapestry segmentation database, three different project management programs, maintenance requests, and the summer reading software.

Fortunately, only three of them expire your password on a regular basis, which is nice.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Overheard in the office: "Do you have any matchbox cars in your office? I need to do some accident reconstruction..."

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    "Your honor, I'd like to call to the stand our expert witness: my six-year-old."

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    "Your honor, I'd like to call to the stand our expert witness: my six-year-old."

"The car went NEOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW and the other car went BURSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH and they CRASHED and EXPLODED and everyone DIED."

"The defense rests, your honor."

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Overheard in the office: "Do you have any matchbox cars in your office? I need to do some accident reconstruction..."

... is that true, or is someone a secret Gaslands lover?

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    So after a scare of my updating my phone’s firmware and suddenly losing 3 years of changes to my notes app i’ve been putting my stuff into my password manager like I probably should have been on the first place, and was wondering who wins the game of having the highest amount of unique logins they need for their job?

I have 16.

That sounds about like what I had when I worked on the helpdesk. Like 50 AD authenticated apps and a whole bunch of random ones, most of which i only need every couple of months.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Currently the plan is to close the office about an hour before the snow is scheduled to hit - which is currently looking like around 1.

If I get out THAT early I may just hang out in a coffee shop for a couple hours because the trains don't start till 2:30!

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    At taser training and my dumb ass opted for the full ride instead of the drive stun.

Just, holy fuck.

I inadvertently called the instructor a motherfucker and then spent the whole time doing that super weird pain laugh.

Did you at least say, "okay taze me bro", before they hit you with the juice? I gotta figure that's a reference that's been made a million times in taser training already, but you're about to drool into a floor, might as well make a dumb joke before you do.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Ah, the classic meeting ice breaker game of “which person living or dead would you want to have dinner with.”

Such a great way to learn who in my new department to steer clear of.

On the plus, my new boss said the Obamas and a new teammate had the very correct choice of Anthony Bourdain (because of course but also because I can’t believe people don’t know to avoid politics at work).

The dude who was the obvious pick to choose Trump chose Trump. No, I won’t be having lunch with you, but I do want to find out who snickered and said “bring ketchup for your steak, jackass” because she may be a new work friend as well.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular

Just, holy fuck.

Did you at least say, "okay taze me bro", before they hit you with the juice? I gotta figure that's a reference that's been made a million times in taser training already, but you're about to drool into a floor, might as well make a dumb joke before you do.

I was actually busy glaring at the region director who helpfully positioned himself to have a clear view, whipped his phone out and started recording.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    LoisLane wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Today at lunch I educated some of the teachers on the unfortunate side effects of selective cannibalism in tribal societies in relation to ancient misogyny.

And their response was something akin to, "WHY DO YOU KNOW THESE THINGS!?!?!"

A fair inquiry.
    What are the unfortunate side effects?

I can only relate what I heard/read years ago but...

The consumption of human spinal fluid is incredibly dangerous and has a side-effect of driving you insane.

And in ancient cannibalistic societies that were also misogynistic, women were given the spine as opposed to safer body parts.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Haven't even gone inside yet but I can tell what I'm about to walk into by how packed the parking garage is.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    So after a scare of my updating my phone’s firmware and suddenly losing 3 years of changes to my notes app i’ve been putting my stuff into my password manager like I probably should have been on the first place, and was wondering who wins the game of having the highest amount of unique logins they need for their job?

I have 16.

This is why federated identity exists, damnit.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options

Just, holy fuck.

I was actually busy glaring at the region director who helpfully positioned himself to have a clear view, whipped his phone out and started recording.

Classic

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Isn't tazing people for training purposes kinda dangerous? What if someone has an unknown heart condition?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I'm sure there's a medic nearby.

Honestly I don't really think cops in particular should be allowed to use things like CS Gas or Tazers without a fair appreciation of what that feels like.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I had upwards of 50 at one point but it was a purchase agent job and I had a lot of supplier logins. Probably 4 of those logins were for internal systems.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    have y'all ever solved a problem that's been a thorn in your side for approximately 2 weeks and it was the dumbest thing and then had like a full body orgasm because that stress has left your shoulders?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    No, but it sounds rapturous.

sarukun on
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    have y'all ever solved a problem that's been a thorn in your side for approximately 2 weeks and it was the dumbest thing and then had like a full body orgasm because that stress has left your shoulders?

No but Full Body Orgasm is a fuckin great band name.

• Options
    Tube wrote: »

Honestly I don't really think cops in particular should be allowed to use things like CS Gas or Tazers without a fair appreciation of what that feels like.

That's one of the reasons why they do it.

Every cop gets pepper sprayed. Most especially because if you ever need to use CS there's a good chance you're gonna get a bit of blowback, and be nearly as maced as whoever you were tagging.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    "There's only ever one size of spring: the wrong one."

fucking
    springs, man

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular

Unfortunately that's not as common as realizing a problem that's been a thorn in my side for 2 weeks was 100% my fault because of a mistake I shoulda caught in two seconds, which usually sparks more of a seething rage

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    "There's only ever one size of spring: the wrong one."

fucking
    springs, man

Keep it down! You wanna get us all hexed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le2eB2xtvBQ&t=252s

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    JayKaos wrote: »

Unfortunately that's not as common as realizing a problem that's been a thorn in my side for 2 weeks was 100% my fault because of a mistake I shoulda caught in two seconds, which usually sparks more of a seething rage

yeah in this case it was mostly a really dumb thing (and yes 100% my fault)

but god it felt good to solve it

I decommissioned a VM, but it still had autostart on it, and when the VM hypervisor came back on after our power failure during the snow storm it started that decommissioned server and I had conflicting IPs.

The only reason I noticed it because I was being lazy and working with SSH and started a ping to the server I was shutting off and it was still pinging successfully after I turned it off. If I hadn't had done that because I was lazy I may never have noticed it even when logging into the hypervisor itself since it doesn't show up in the quick view on the side and it's towards the bottom of my VM list.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

Every cop gets pepper sprayed. Most especially because if you ever need to use CS there's a good chance you're gonna get a bit of blowback, and be nearly as maced as whoever you were tagging.

Unfortunately due to toxic masculinity and other factors, eventually they convince themselves it wasn't so bad and start feeling more free to use the taser for situations where it wasn't necessary.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

Unfortunately due to toxic masculinity and other factors, eventually they convince themselves it wasn't so bad and start feeling more free to use the taser for situations where it wasn't necessary.

And makes them more violent in general.

https://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/carrying-tasers-increases-police-use-of-force-study-finds

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

I find it quite alarming they have the same gear or level of gear I had in the Corps and none of the training I got for it.

• Options

That's why they should also be tazed at the beginning and end of each shift.

• Options

Here's your paycheck and your taze. Want to use the bathroom? Pepper spray air freshener.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    My wife came by for lunch today, I got to show her around and she got to meet my co-workers and we ate in the cafe. Both my boss and the head of HR gave her a hug and told her how great it is to have me at the company and she was really dumbfounded. "Is this what its like working in an office with normal people....no one even looks depressed to be here."

• Options
    Yeah, we're gonna close around 1 today.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Get home safe!

• Options
    Bucketman wrote: »
    My wife came by for lunch today, I got to show her around and she got to meet my co-workers and we ate in the cafe. Both my boss and the head of HR gave her a hug and told her how great it is to have me at the company and she was really dumbfounded. "Is this what its like working in an office with normal people....no one even looks depressed to be here."

that's not normal

• Options
    webguy20 wrote: »

Here's your paycheck and your taze. Want to use the bathroom? Pepper spray air freshener.

This feels like an express method to creating super cops who are immune to pepper spray and tazers.

• Options
    webguy20 wrote: »

This feels like an express method to creating super cops who are immune to pepper spray and tazers.

I'd like to see the evolutionary reactions to a high voltage high spice environment after a few generations. I wonder what the adaptations would be like.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    So the cleaning crew, who y'all know I got into a war of passive aggressiveness over my grease covered pizza box in the trash being recycling (it's not recycling and I finally won that battle), left a note for our lab to "brake down your boxes".

I am struggling with my conscience in this for either being the bigger person and ignoring it or taking a red sharpie, crossing it out, writing break, and giving them a C-.

On the one hand it's kind of a dick thing to do and really fucking condescending. On the other hand it'll feel real good for at least the rest of the day.

bowen on
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    you should definitely be super condescending towards the staff who skivvy after you because they spelled a word wrong

doubtless they had numerous advantages in life

edit: I have removed the words "minimum wage" from this post to be fair to Bowen

Tube on
This discussion has been closed.