As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Anthem] Early Access is live. Please mark spoilers. God speed, Freelancers.

• soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    The only console games that seem to have text chat are "proper" MMOs. I play ff14 exclusively on ps4 and I'm not sure that game would function without it. It seems more like design tradition not to have text chat though. I think it is definitely a design bias for verbal, extroverted players and that there could be a text chat option that would not break the game even if some UX designer somewhere feels it would detract from the simplistic beauty of the presentation or whatever. It kind of reminds of when Apple wouldn't put a second button on their mice for like a frickin' decade because it ruined whatever designer wake they had going about "streamlined elegance" despite the fact it would have been incredibly practical and useful to do so.

That said, voice chat can be awful, yes. But I don't think my experience with text chat in a wide variety of online spaces makes me think it's less toxic. I suspect it doesn't get added because it's one less forum to bother moderating, functionality and disability be damned.

• dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Voice and text are both perfectly fine as long as ignoring/filtering people is exceedingly simple and hassle free. Make me go through 7 menus and I'll be pissed as much at your shit interface as I am the person taking bong hits and calling me racial homophobic slurs.

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I'm going to be disabling voice chat first thing, for a variety of reasons, so if there's no other way for the randoms to communicate with me, they're out of luck.

Text chat also has the benefit of history, range, and multiple channels.

If they want players to be able to organize groups outside of pre-established social circles they'll also need text.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    soylenth wrote: »
    The only console games that seem to have text chat are "proper" MMOs. I play ff14 exclusively on ps4 and I'm not sure that game would function without it. It seems more like design tradition not to have text chat though. I think it is definitely a design bias for verbal, extroverted players and that there could be a text chat option that would not break the game even if some UX designer somewhere feels it would detract from the simplistic beauty of the presentation or whatever. It kind of reminds of when Apple wouldn't put a second button on their mice for like a frickin' decade because it ruined whatever designer wake they had going about "streamlined elegance" despite the fact it would have been incredibly practical and useful to do so.

That said, voice chat can be awful, yes. But I don't think my experience with text chat in a wide variety of online spaces makes me think it's less toxic. I suspect it doesn't get added because it's one less forum to bother moderating, functionality and disability be damned.

It's seems like it would be a lot easier to ignore (and report) individual players on toxic text messages, than itwould be for voice chat.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
    A good, simple ignore feature is a strong argument for voice chat, I agree.

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    They could skip text chat if they had basic comm phrases that actually helped. Like if UP on the controller was "I'm working on the puzzle" and DOWN was "I'm at the door to the next section".

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
    ^ I meant text chat and for some reason cannot edit my posts right now. Agree a simple communication wheel of some sort would go a long way. Most of what you need to communicate is relatively simple.

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    Dunno if anybody has mentioned it, but you can get Anthem for free with various nVidia cards at the moment. https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/campaigns/battlefield-v-anthem-bundle/

Got this card for Apex Legends but that was a nice bonus: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J4VJX6L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Man, I'm just going to reiterate how excited I am that you can kit out all the javelins. It's like if Diablo had just made you "The Nephalem", then allowed you to switch classes in town. I feel like the die hard RPG mentality is slowly dying out in favor of just letting players have fun, and saying good riddance to "you must reroll" and "classes use distinct stats that do almost the exact same thing because reasons."

So maybe that hurts the longevity of it ( the flame that burns 4 times as bright... ) but to me, ditching completely separate progression and "class identity" in favor of one path with 4 tool sets sounds so good.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    And we'll still have some Javelin specific bits, and certain classes with certain playstyles may reward using different weapons, so I like that I can unlock all 4, play one exclusively, but if I decide to dabble in the others I already have some existing kit for them, but it won't be a perfect transition over. Even with higher end gear (from non-chosen class drops, class agnostic drops, eventual crafting, etc), we'll be able to bring others up to some general baseline, but focusing will have rewards to it as well.

It was just a few days of play, but I feel that approach seems fairly elegant. Add in aiming for certain 'builds' and whatnot, and the amount of loot to acquire remains substantial for those of us who dabble in a bit of everything, but short of running the hardest content available, if I want to swap from Storm to Interceptor while playing with friends, I won't plunge down to nothing, but I also likely won't be fighting at the exact same power level either.

Which honestly may be nice as well. I know that the game is supposed to scale up and/or down to account for drastic differences in level, but if I'm running with some really low level friends, I might want to use that opportunity to try something I'm not focusing on most of the time. I'm aware that level appropriate drops are supposed to happen anyways, but if I'm basically where I want to be on X class, then getting a nice smattering of drops for Y or Z while doing something with newer players would be great too, even if it's mostly rares to help round out what I'm already set up with or something.

I may be rambling a little, but if this plays out well, I could see it being a rather elegant way to provide diversity of experience and a good time with a reasonable challenge against a baseline.

Or I'm overthinking the fuck out of it.

Possibly both.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    any details on the special edition with the RNG boost? I really want that Jarra's Wrath

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
    No, I think you're right, Forar. You can inevitably have 1 javelin that's way better, depending on how much you play it and craft for it, how many loadouts you try to make, and so on. Whether that means having one favorite build at the expense of the others, multiple for one javelin, or 1-2 for every javelin is all up to you and influences how you engage with the game.

A lot of that will be focused in the class specific stuff like your two skills and components. But at the same time, it seems like a majority of weapons will be usable by all. I could be mistaken, but it seemed like the special effects were less specific, along the lines of "when you use [L1], you buff [R1] and gain extra charge of [L1+R1]." Even if not, that's encouragement to try a different configuration or javelin.

It all seems very customizable in that way, and lets you decide how you want to be rewarded by the resources you are given.

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Noggin wrote: »
    Man, I'm just going to reiterate how excited I am that you can kit out all the javelins. It's like if Diablo had just made you "The Nephalem", then allowed you to switch classes in town. I feel like the die hard RPG mentality is slowly dying out in favor of just letting players have fun, and saying good riddance to "you must reroll" and "classes use distinct stats that do almost the exact same thing because reasons."

So maybe that hurts the longevity of it ( the flame that burns 4 times as bright... ) but to me, ditching completely separate progression and "class identity" in favor of one path with 4 tool sets sounds so good.

They do this in FFXIV and honestly I’ve seen more people with everything at maximum level than I ever saw in say WoW. I would hazard a guess this actually increases playtime.

• QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Every game should learn from FFXIV and let you play every class. Only locking you while in a mission/duty/whatever.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »

They do this in FFXIV and honestly I’ve seen more people with everything at maximum level than I ever saw in say WoW. I would hazard a guess this actually increases playtime.

Yeah that and occaisionally getting drops for other things makes you go "hmmm maybe I should try that..." and then thirty hours later...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    From what I could tell a lot of the challenges to unlock crafting blueprints were things like "kill X enemies with this skill" etc, so technically you'll still need to play on that Javelin to really unlock crafting. Drops alone will likely still go a long way but it's worth at least dabbling a bit with each Javelin.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Kyanilis wrote: »
    From what I could tell a lot of the challenges to unlock crafting blueprints were things like "kill X enemies with this skill" etc, so technically you'll still need to play on that Javelin to really unlock crafting. Drops alone will likely still go a long way but it's worth at least dabbling a bit with each Javelin.

The skill based ones seemed to be doing missions/events with that skill equipped. Though we've only seen the first two levels of those.

Weapons were kill based that I saw.

While advancing another Javelin will help with incidental off class drops you'll still have to play a bit since the crafting components are class linked as well.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Thing I'm wondering is how they are gonna balance Javelins having adjustable slots/abilities and making new Javelins.

I'm guessing you can give each Javelin a role and give them unique passives(kind like how the Storm has hover and the Interceptor has triple dash) but it'll be interesting to see.

• BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/DPf-EATqFng

Launch trailer dropped

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Thing I'm wondering is how they are gonna balance Javelins having adjustable slots/abilities and making new Javelins.

I'm guessing you can give each Javelin a role and give them unique passives(kind like how the Storm has hover and the Interceptor has triple dash) but it'll be interesting to see.

New Javelins will likely be introduced at a slower pace than a League of Legends or Rainbow 6 Siege introduces new characters.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
    I like that commercial.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Regarding scaling, unless something has changed and/or what I've seen has been inaccurate, in-mission scaling is such that it's completely independent for each player. You have a javelin at 150, you face enemies scaled to that, while simultaneously your buddy at 9999 is facing enemies scaled to that. Pretty good trick, assuming it's accurate.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    dporowski wrote: »
    Regarding scaling, unless something has changed and/or what I've seen has been inaccurate, in-mission scaling is such that it's completely independent for each player. You have a javelin at 150, you face enemies scaled to that, while simultaneously your buddy at 9999 is facing enemies scaled to that. Pretty good trick, assuming it's accurate.

Ah...that makes sense.

Someone asked why the numbers were wildly different and they said they'd explain that.

Which is cool cause I remember seeing something like Grandmaster 3 raising damage 3000% and I was like "WTF?"

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

Yeah, this is something Destiny does in public spaces (and, now, WoW as well) and it's a really good trick to avoid people not being able to play with the friends if someone falls behind.

• Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

Yeah, this is something Destiny does in public spaces (and, now, WoW as well) and it's a really good trick to avoid people not being able to play with the friends if someone falls behind.

That's really nice, because frankly I'm not going to get that much time to play. So if I don't have to worry that I am going to be completely outclassed by other players, that makes me less nervous about being on a team.

Norgoth wrote: »

I didn't have time to respond to this earlier, but ya, for me I absolutely think it will.

I haven't even tried all the skills yet, or seen all the item effects, and I already have like 5 different builds I want. I think I'm going to get very sucked into this.

I do wish there were more Javelin specific weapons like the Colossus has. Like a better shield draining SMG for the Interceptor or a sticky mine gun like the Scorpion from ME3.

Trajan45 wrote: »
    I do wish there were more Javelin specific weapons like the Colossus has. Like a better shield draining SMG for the Interceptor or a sticky mine gun like the Scorpion from ME3.

Always can be added really.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Something else that they've mentioned is that both melee and ultimates are technically hidden "slots" already so adding in the ability to swap those out is technically already built in. Of course they'd have to figure out how to do it/balance it but they thought far enough ahead to give themselves the option without too much work.

Kyanilis wrote: »
    Something else that they've mentioned is that both melee and ultimate's are technically hidden "slots" already so adding in the ability to swap those out is technically already built in. Of course they'd have to figure out how to do it/balance it but they thought far enough ahead to give themselves the option without too much work.

Part of me wishes they had another 3-4 months to work on the game. Even if each Javelin had 2 ultimate's, an AoE or ST type, and had 2 melee options, Primer or Detonator, it would go a long way towards party customization options.

I do wonder if some extra parts of javelins are planned for later based on how players use them. Like they have in the hopper multiple melee options but they want to see if during gameplay people even use melee that often to warrant the dev time.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Melee and Ultimates are just such a no-brainer option for customization that something has to already be planned for them. Particularly since melee already differs between classes in primer, detonator, and Elemental type.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    edited February 2019
    I would think we'd get weapons down the line just cause the Interceptor is such a melee-focused class.

Also I could see them releasing a "Brawler" version of the Colossus later for people who want a tankier verson of the Interceptor.

Dragkonias on
  • htmhtm Registered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »
    Every game should learn from FFXIV and let you play every class. Only locking you while in a mission/duty/whatever.

FFXIV's job (class) system would be good if you didn't have to level each job separately. Worse, you can't replay the MSQs as your new job, so leveling any job past the first becomes extra super grindy. I don't find it an improvement over something more traditional like WoW, TBH. It's all the work of leveling an alt without an increase in inventory space to carry all the new gear you'll need.

Anthem's system is much, much more humane.

They also confirmed that GM2/3 are actually on for launch since there was an interview they did where they thought they might temporarily disable them to see where things are:

Honestly I could see not turning them on so people don't crank the difficulty get super frustrated they get one shot and then put videos up "Lol bioware is so bad difficulty is game breaking"

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Honestly I could see not turning them on so people don't crank the difficulty get super frustrated they get one shot and then put videos up "Lol bioware is so bad difficulty is game breaking"

They're gonna do that anyway and you know it.

Preacher wrote: »

They're gonna do that anyway and you know it.

True, as people already have. But still its annoying how it confuses people anyway.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    We'll find out next weekend when PC Origin Access people will have unlimited access and Console peeps will have 10 hours to dive into the full game.

BioWare better hope the full game is polished and ready because people are gonna watch streamers play essentially the full game for a full week before release and that plus all the articles about those experiences will greatly inform many buyers before the game is even out.

ObiFett on
  • mori1972mori1972 FF14: Rhotfyr Thosinmharsyn (Y)UKRegistered User regular
    Beezel wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/DPf-EATqFng

Launch trailer dropped

That actually gave me shivers

It's all saltwater these days:
    Ocean, tears and heartbreak soup
    Half alive in a whitecap foam
    Half in love with a white half moon
This discussion has been closed.