As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Movie] Thread: Where the term "projection" is A-OK!

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Unbreakable has a consistent style even when not applying that style specifically to the main character not because those choices are defaults but because that’s how you establish and maintain a coherent tone, world, and thematic approach.

God if Aquaman did this it’d be a lot better

Still not great, of course

Willem Dafoe's manbun shall forever be a crime against God and Man.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Time to watch Big Fish and have a good cy.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Big Fish is a film that I disliked quite intensely, and I always bristle irrationally when people express how much they love it, but Finney was definitely very good in it, and pretty much in everything I've seen him in.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Akilae on
    edited February 2019
    Thirith wrote: »
    Big Fish is a film that I disliked quite intensely, and I always bristle irrationally when people express how much they love it, but Finney was definitely very good in it, and pretty much in everything I've seen him in.

It does have some major issues, but the relationship between Finney and Crudup felt incredibly genuine and was a pleasure to watch.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    My big issue with Big Fish is that the film seems to be 100% on the side of the father - and I find him so self-centred that I want to scream. His stories are twee and seem to be so much about making him the centre of attention. I totally felt for the son, but the film doesn't feel like it truly gives you that option, because it's the son that has to change in order to accommodate the father's needs.

Having said that, I saw it back then at the cinema and haven't seen it since. It's well possible I'd understand it differently now.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Akilae wrote: »

isn't it more of a call than a raise if the two credit sequences are nearly identical

wandering on
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Lindsay Ellis has an excellent thread on why "they couldn't make Blazing Saddles today":

It's worth reading, because she breaks down the whole "political correctness" argument as the gooseshit it is, and focuses on the power and weaknesses of comedy as a medium.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    She mentions it in her thread, but her video on The Producers touches on a lot of this stuff as well and is awesome in its own right, if you have a free 40 minutes(!) to spare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62cPPSyoQkE

• flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    It's especially a bullshit argument nowadays because we have seen a wave of comedies about race in the past few years: Dear White People, BlackKKlansman, Sorry to Bother You, even Django Unchained and Get Out have elements of parody.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Django especially for me shows a lot of the nastiness other films of the south tend to just overlook or handwave. Like this is a film where the main character is forced to watch a man ripped apart by dogs so as to not show ulterior motives. And the part the film highlights probably isn't even the first or worst thing Django had seen done to a slave.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Django is a masterpiece of straddling tones.

Its like equal parts 12 Years a Slave & Blazing Saddles

nexuscrawler on
    Django is a masterpiece of straddling tones.

Its like equal parts 12 Years a Slave & Blazing Saddles

And remember the one part everyone seemed to get the vapors about was the n word. Not the brutality of slavery, not the acceptance among society about what was going on, no the n word. Talk about missing the forest from the trees.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I found reviews of Django interesting because especially international ones (mostly British because, you know, english language) tended to not really get the cultural context it was (imo) playing too.

I think the film makes less sense without an understanding of the american hagiography of the antebellum south.

Yeah you have to know how the american south in the pre and post civil war era has been portrayed in popular culture to really get the visceral "fuck you" django has for it.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I read through that twitter thread about Blazing Saddles, and one of the comments caught my attention. Would it be possible for a remake of Blazing Saddles to be made but with a shifted perspective? The comment specifically mentioned Jordan Peele helming the theoretical remake, which could be really interesting.

steam_sig.png
    I see no reason to remake the movie? Like its fine just as it is?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Comedy has no weaknesses though Wayne’s World dabs and flosses over Angela’s Ashes

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Like...Django is the version of Blazing Saddles you can make today.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    This Blazing Saddles thing made me realize Mel Brooks last movie might be Hotel Transylvania 3 which is a bit sad (and he sure sounded tired in it)

• AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Remaking anything with a lot of social commentary in it seems like a general bad idea

Better to find a way to talk about today that makes sense for today, instead of using a form that was made for a different context decades ago

ACsTqqK.jpg
    Maybe I misunderstand what you’re saying, but isn’t that pretty much what the first two Body Snatchers movies were, and successfully so?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    There already is a good blazing saddles so there is no reason to remake it. I'd prefer a director/writer take on new fresh ideas and not try and rehash or "bring to a new audience" an older film.

Like Peele is already committed to like a Candyman remake and that's fine horror gets refreshed all the time, Blazing Saddles is completely unneccessary.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Maybe I misunderstand what you’re saying, but isn’t that pretty much what the first two Body Snatchers movies were, and successfully so?

Listen, only a Sith deals in absolutes.

Anyway, the premise of Blazing Saddles is highly specific in a way that Body Snatchers isn’t—going back to the original novel, the story made a strong template for any commentary about social conformity to be layered in on top of it. Two different situations really. You could remake High Noon so it was about the Iraq War from the Republican perspective pretty easily, but it’s a lot less rewarding to try and remake, say, Victor/Victoria updated for today’s gay and gender issues. The context is just too different for that to be a good idea—instead we got, say, Tangerine, whose form and content are wholly responding to present circumstances.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    considering how much queer twitter has been stanning for John Wojtowicz lately perhaps the time is right for a Dog Day Afternoon remake, tho

I'll admit I never knew about dog day afternoon until I'd seen the movie swordfish. It's me. I'm the bad guy.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Preacher wrote: »
    I'll admit I never knew about dog day afternoon until I'd seen the movie swordfish. It's me. I'm the bad guy.

No, John Travolta's soul-patch is the bad guy.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Good rundown of a very underappreciated film:
    https://youtu.be/bVFHAvnfW1A

I wish more people went out to see this when it was in theaters.

• Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/bVFHAvnfW1A

It made 75 times its budget. Lots of people saw it and it got near universal acclaim. What about it is underappreciated?

Astaereth wrote: »

Listen, only a Sith deals in absolutes.

Anyway, the premise of Blazing Saddles is highly specific in a way that Body Snatchers isn’t—going back to the original novel, the story made a strong template for any commentary about social conformity to be layered in on top of it. Two different situations really. You could remake High Noon so it was about the Iraq War from the Republican perspective pretty easily, but it’s a lot less rewarding to try and remake, say, Victor/Victoria updated for today’s gay and gender issues. The context is just too different for that to be a good idea—instead we got, say, Tangerine, whose form and content are wholly responding to present circumstances.
    I guess it depends on what you consider a remake and how much of the original you'd consider necessary. I can definitely imagine a film that takes the premise of Blazing Saddles that comments on present-day race relations as well as to what has and hasn't changed since the original film, and I can even imagine such a film to do a good job. I don't think that this is easy, mind you, and my problem with remakes is that most of the time it's the studio that comes up with the idea, not the creative minds. If someone like Jordan Peele said, "I've come up with an idea for a Blazing Saddles remake that does some pretty cool things," I'm there. If Warner Bros. said the same, I'd be more than a little doubtful.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular

It made 75 times its budget. Lots of people saw it and it got near universal acclaim. What about it is underappreciated?

Go out into the street and ask if anyone knows what the movie "Searching" is. You can even tell them it stars Jon Cho. I'm pretty sure you can spend an entire day talking to people and get maybe 1 or 2 hits. I know this because this movie only played in 2 theaters in the San Francisco Bay Area, and I had to go out of my way into the city to watch it.

That's what I was referring to. It's underappreciated in the popular consciousness because most people don't even know this movie exists.

I watched Conan the Barbarian last night, the 1982 original. I had quite the headache so I thought it best to watch something that wasn't too taxing. It's not going to enter my list of favourite films, but I was surprised by how non-cheesy it was compared to what I was expecting. I thought the film would be very dated, but the way it goes for a mythical tone makes it work surprisingly well, even if you didn't watch it as a kid in the '80s. There is some cheese, but there are also some pretty smart decisions, in particular when it comes to how to use the film's lead.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Yeah, that guy was pretty good. I should see if he's done anything else...
    :wink:

I watched Conan the Barbarian last night, the 1982 original. I had quite the headache so I thought it best to watch something that wasn't too taxing. It's not going to enter my list of favourite films, but I was surprised by how non-cheesy it was compared to what I was expecting. I thought the film would be very dated, but the way it goes for a mythical tone makes it work surprisingly well, even if you didn't watch it as a kid in the '80s. There is some cheese, but there are also some pretty smart decisions, in particular when it comes to how to use the film's lead.

It’s weird how there’s damn near zero dialogue

It’s weird how there’s damn near zero dialogue

I actually like that about the original conan, It's like a movie you could almost remove all dialogue and lose nothing. And the score is so good.

It's something I liked about Road to Perdition, a lot of the really important scenes have zero dialogue.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    It’s also playing to Arnold’s strength

He was always a good physical actor but at that point his English was not so good

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    He did give one heck of a speech prayer near the end, though.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    He did give one heck of a speech prayer near the end, though.

That's the other side of his performance. The director wisely kept his lines to a minimum, but Arnold showed a lot of charisma when he did get to speak. It's the film that changed his career trajectory from a novelty performer to a box office draw in Commando three years later.

Phillishere on
This discussion has been closed.