As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

join us in glorious pod-hood [jobs]

• Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Someone get the marshmallows so we can roast them over the hot fire Tube is throwing down.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Tube wrote: »
    you should definitely be super condescending towards the minimum wage staff who skivvy after you because they spelled a word wrong

doubtless they had numerous advantages in life

Holy hell that's a lot of assumptions just because I said "cleaning crew". Why do you assume they're minimum wage and disadvantaged?

It's a relatively affluent husband wife team that definitely aren't being paid minimum wage. They are also kind of passive aggressive douches to everyone here. For instance, taking (edit: a single) pistacho that fell onto the floor and placing it next to someone's keyboard because they didn't pick it up and throw it away. Also the pizza box thing.

Also several other things.

Not sure why you think "they're low skill and low paid workers."

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Someone get the marshmallows so we can roast them over the hot fire Tube is throwing down.

I'd say this is about a medium temperature Tube Hot Take, with the high end of the scale being his opinion on most Netflix shows.

Bit too low temp for marshmallows but good for slow-cooking a nice sausage or smoking a turkey.

3cl1ps3 on
    they're medical cleaning people so like, it's not some janitor at a bus stop making $12/hr my fair dude

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    you should definitely be super condescending towards the minimum wage staff who skivvy after you because they spelled a word wrong

Tube not a couple months ago you expressed serious concerns about people in the community being gleefully critical of each other at the slightest provocation and it starting to become a genuine problem.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    My wife came by for lunch today, I got to show her around and she got to meet my co-workers and we ate in the cafe. Both my boss and the head of HR gave her a hug and told her how great it is to have me at the company and she was really dumbfounded. "Is this what its like working in an office with normal people....no one even looks depressed to be here."

that's not normal

In a good or bad way? Like I am feeling the love here and its wonderful.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    bowen wrote: »

I didn't say low skill.

The answer to your question is "no, don't".

• kfcdoubledownkfcdoubledown Registered User new member
    watch tube is gonna be like kfc an ddouble down

aah damn this is a good idea for an alt.

wh

what

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Ugh, getting a sinus headache. This blows!

• TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

wh

what

Looks like the pod has discovered forum account creation

I didn't say low skill.

The answer to your question is "no, don't".

Yes I must've read too much into what you meant by disadvantaged then.

My wife came by for lunch today, I got to show her around and she got to meet my co-workers and we ate in the cafe. Both my boss and the head of HR gave her a hug and told her how great it is to have me at the company and she was really dumbfounded. "Is this what its like working in an office with normal people....no one even looks depressed to be here."

that's not normal

In a good or bad way? Like I am feeling the love here and its wonderful.

In a good way! I was just doing a joke about most offices not being full of happy people.

edited February 2019
    Hugging coworkers feels... off..? (or them hugging your family/friends)

bowen on
    Tynnan wrote: »

wh

what

we're doomed.

• TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular

wh

what

we're doomed.

What exactly do you mean by "we"?

wh

what

we're doomed.

What exactly do you mean by "we"?

humanity.

I won't be a jerk to the cleaning crew, but when we eat the rich I make no promises they're safe (they are hella rich because charging doctors for services is $$$$$$$$$$$).

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Good lord it's busy kill me

• LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    So after a scare of my updating my phone’s firmware and suddenly losing 3 years of changes to my notes app i’ve been putting my stuff into my password manager like I probably should have been on the first place, and was wondering who wins the game of having the highest amount of unique logins they need for their job?

I have 16.

This is why federated identity exists, damnit.

If I understand the concept right from skimming the Wikipedia article, sure. I have like three logins that I use for the majority of stuff but I can’t imagine how that works with things outside your organization, aka most of my logins.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular

Both asked first. Its a very friendly environment

• LoisLaneLoisLane Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    LoisLane wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Today at lunch I educated some of the teachers on the unfortunate side effects of selective cannibalism in tribal societies in relation to ancient misogyny.

And their response was something akin to, "WHY DO YOU KNOW THESE THINGS!?!?!"

A fair inquiry.
    What are the unfortunate side effects?

Fuckin' prions. Prions are horrifying and more people should know about them.

EDIT: NVM. Answered above.
    But what does that have to do with ancient misogyny?

LoisLane on

Both asked first. Its a very friendly environment

Okay that feels better!

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I guess Zonugal might be talking about the Fore tribe in Papua New Guinea. Kuru was mostly confined to women because it was the women's job to cook and eat the deceased. Most of the people who got kuru were women and their children who were passed tidbits of the deceased. This lead to a 3:1 male:female ratio in the worst affected areas.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    After disassembling five pens and doing some very rough rate calculations, I'm finally confident enough to place a second spring order. Pray that it will be my last.

gonna reward myself with a bubble tea.

also my supervisor asked me a bunch of practise questions for faculty interviews and they made everything seem way too grown up and adult, I'm gonna go live in a hole for a while.

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    The faculty interview process seems kind of like a nightmare.

I sat in on one of the demo undergrad lectures the candidates have to give here, and some of the profs were just mean with some of the questions they asked.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    KetBra wrote: »

I sat in on one of the demo undergrad lectures the candidates have to give here, and some of the profs were just mean with some of the questions they asked.

I'm legit blanking that whole part of the process out of my mind, because I'm pretty sure giving an undergrad lecture to a bunch of professors is a guaranteed way to give the worst lecture of my life.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Mean how?

Asking for detailed explanations of minutiae, or...?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    Does anyone have advice for being interviewed by groups of people? I have a three hour interview next week with 12 people interviewing me (three groups of four). I’ve never been interviewed by more than two people at a time and am feeling rather intimidated.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Waiting at the train station

Super glad I left when I did, it’s gonna be packed

Does anyone have advice for being interviewed by groups of people? I have a three hour interview next week with 12 people interviewing me (three groups of four). I’ve never been interviewed by more than two people at a time and am feeling rather intimidated.

Yeah I think the point of those style of group interviews is to intimidate and see how you handle the pressure and how you interact with multiple people.

• Ginger MijangoGinger Mijango Don't you open that Trap Door!Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I didn't think I'd be reliving my Group Assessment experiences from Uni in a Professional environment, especially from someone with 15+ years experience on me.

Ginger Mijango on
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Mean how?

Imagine a roomful of professors playing dumb about 1st year physics in the most obnoxious ways possible in the middle of what is essentially a semi-public multi-day interview process.

Shit is nerve-wracking. It was bad enough that the prof in charge was like 'ok guys she knows physics, stop trying to trip her up with tricky questions and let her lecture.'

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So after a scare of my updating my phone’s firmware and suddenly losing 3 years of changes to my notes app i’ve been putting my stuff into my password manager like I probably should have been on the first place, and was wondering who wins the game of having the highest amount of unique logins they need for their job?

I have 16.

This is why federated identity exists, damnit.

If I understand the concept right from skimming the Wikipedia article, sure. I have like three logins that I use for the majority of stuff but I can’t imagine how that works with things outside your organization, aka most of my logins.

Single sign-on authentication protocols. We've done this with a number of external vendors.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Mean how?

Imagine a roomful of professors playing dumb about 1st year physics in the most obnoxious ways possible in the middle of what is essentially a semi-public multi-day interview process.

Shit is nerve-wracking. It was bad enough that the prof in charge was like 'ok guys she knows physics, stop trying to trip her up with tricky questions and let her lecture.'

As someone who is teaching faculty and went through this process the last time I was on the market, play it straight. Don't winkwink nudgenudge with the faculty because they're (ideally) seriously probing to see how you will be able to fulfill your teaching obligations. Sometimes, this can mean saying "That's a great question and one I will be happy to answer after today's lecture."

For general advice, get a good night's sleep because the process is fucking exhausting.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I left work early because my sinuses completely shut down. Due to the cold weather, the heat had been blasting all day, and according to the little thermometer in my office it was 77 degrees with a humidity of 16%. By the time I left I was so congested I sounded like Buffalo Bill from Silence of the Lambs.

I hit up the grocery store on the way home to grab some decongestant and, since I was nearly out, some dishwasher detergent.

This is all to say that I ended up mumbling and gesturing at a pack of pseudoephedrine decongestant while cradling a box of Cascade pods at my local grocery store, and it took the pharmacist a hell of a long time to run my driver's license to clear the purchase. I think I might need to find a new place to buy groceries.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    We've already beat sales from both Christmas Eve and the superbowl.

We have very little food left to sell

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Potted Meat Food Product, this is your moment.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    I guess Zonugal might be talking about the Fore tribe in Papua New Guinea. Kuru was mostly confined to women because it was the women's job to cook and eat the deceased. Most of the people who got kuru were women and their children who were passed tidbits of the deceased. This lead to a 3:1 male:female ratio in the worst affected areas.

This isn’t a recipe for sustainability

This discussion has been closed.