As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

join us in glorious pod-hood [jobs]

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Potted Meat Food Product, this is your moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdKzWQOVET4

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    So after a scare of my updating my phone’s firmware and suddenly losing 3 years of changes to my notes app i’ve been putting my stuff into my password manager like I probably should have been on the first place, and was wondering who wins the game of having the highest amount of unique logins they need for their job?

I have 16.

this is several pages back, but I just cleaned up my password keeper to find out: 69

8-)

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I don't even think I could count all my creds.

Like, I develop 3 different applications. Each of them has multiple user groups. I have to be able to login and configure/test demonstrate each of them. Each of them has multiple integration points - database connections, network/system profiles, a2a peers, etc. There are up to 30 or so test and dev environments, although at any one time maybe only a third of them are up and operational, and which ones they are is constantly changing. We authenticate multiple different ways depending on what we're doing, what is configured in the environment, and what we have licenses for. The environments themselves have server hosts and automated build tools and monitoring software. We're constantly creating and discarding specific test case users for specific use cases under investigation and throwing them away when we're done.

Like, some back of the envelope math tells me that there's probably a few hundred Logins I use at my job. But which ones I'm actually using at any one time, or need to know is probably only a few dozen, but fuck me if I could list them all.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Goddammit, it's unfair how good real Sudafed works, considering you can only take it for three days before it wrecks your whole system.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Goddammit, it's unfair how good real Sudafed works, considering you can only take it for three days before it wrecks your whole system.

?

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I have a fair few logins doing the finances for 11 companies, each requiring separate logins to many government sites/finance sites.

• Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    This is my first post today while my kid brushes his teeth because I actually worked all day today!

It was good. I’m usually most satisfied after days I never had a chance to procrastinate.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    @Weaver

Nick, I am in a catastrophic amount of pain for the last ... 36 hours or so.

My sciatic nerve down my right leg has progressed into referred pain/nerve pinching in my hip, shoulder and left side of my neck.

Tell me there's something better than Icy Hot, please.

I'll give you my firstborn.

Wait, I don't have any kids.

Okay, there's a bottle of something in it for you, single malt, water, maple syrup, whatever.

• Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »

?

If three days of Sudafed wrecks your system...

I... might be a lich?

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    @Darth Waiter For over the counter stuff, try some 4% lidocain cream and ibuprofen.

Prescription, prednison as an anti-inflammatory.

And try some of these stretches.

http://www.athletico.com/2012/03/28/stretches-to-minimize-back-pain/

Weaver on
  • Options
    Oh but don't apply the lidocain over the icy-hot, wash it off first, and don't apply heat to where the lidocain cream is.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    @Darth Waiter ^that seems an important bit not to miss

• Options

?

Don't take decongestants for more than 3 days unless directed by a doctor. It is unhealthy and technically "habit forming"

also don't take fake sudafed, it is a placebo that raises your blood pressure

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Kadith wrote: »

?

Don't take decongestants for more than 3 days unless directed by a doctor. It is unhealthy and technically "habit forming"

My mom, who is a physician, calls bullshit on the above. It's CYA boilerplate. What you don't want to do is take it long-term, for example to deal with seasonal allergies.

Anyway, I've definitely taken Sudafed for longer stretches than that dozens of times. Colds in school would have been infinitely more miserable without it. But yeah, get the real stuff.

• Options

?

My mom, who is a physician, calls bullshit on the above. It's CYA boilerplate. What you don't want to do is take it long-term, for example to deal with seasonal allergies.

Anyway, I've definitely taken Sudafed for longer stretches than that dozens of times. Colds in school would have been infinitely more miserable without it. But yeah, get the real stuff.

WHY do I even pay doctors for medical advice if they're going to lie to me???

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Doctors are all scam artists! All you need is a good old-fashioned bloodletter once a month and you'll live till ninety.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Doctors are all scam artists! All you need is a good old-fashioned bloodletter once a month and you'll live till ninety.

It's not a fair comparison if you're gonna count in months instead of years, tynic!

• Options
    it looks better in dog years.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    You can't even get pseudoephedrine over the counter here in NZ. They reclassified it as prescription-only and it's a bit of a crap shoot as to whether you have a doctor who thinks it's a fucking joke that you can't get it from a pharmacy and rolls it out like candy for a $50 consulting fee, or one who treats every requester like a potential tweaker recording notes on every interaction and suggesting a couple paracetamol and a lie down instead.

• Options
    The advantage of my chronically ill sister having the same pharmacist for five years is that they know her situation and won't give us a hard time for filling eg. massive amounts of fentanyl and valium all at once.

The disadvantage is they don't blink an eye at weird prescriptions and several times have rung up the dog's medication under her name.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I'm kind of stressing. I got a response from the recruiter for the phone interview for wells fargo that just had a yes no maybe option for the call time. Im pretty sure I clicked yes and it showed up in my callander but does hitting yes also alert them that I hit yes? Them email didn't say anything else.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    You can't even get pseudoephedrine over the counter here in NZ. They reclassified it as prescription-only and it's a bit of a crap shoot as to whether you have a doctor who thinks it's a fucking joke that you can't get it from a pharmacy and rolls it out like candy for a $50 consulting fee, or one who treats every requester like a potential tweaker recording notes on every interaction and suggesting a couple paracetamol and a lie down instead.

You can still get it here but you have to specifically ask for it (otherwise they give you the PE version {phenylephrine or whatever it's called}), provide photo ID, and they won't sell you any more than two packs of Sudafed at one time, for example. This is because there were occasions when bikie gangs would have like 50 riders go on a "cruise" during which they'd clear out every pharmacy they went past and they'd end up with like a thousand packets of Sudafed between them, which they'd then process into meth.

• Options
    Fishman wrote: »

You can still get it here but you have to specifically ask for it (otherwise they give you the PE version {phenylephrine or whatever it's called}), provide photo ID, and they won't sell you any more than two packs of Sudafed at one time, for example. This is because there were occasions when bikie gangs would have like 50 riders go on a "cruise" during which they'd clear out every pharmacy they went past and they'd end up with like a thousand packets of Sudafed between them, which they'd then process into meth.

Ostensibly this was the reason we reclassified it, but:
    A) if the goal was to reduce the amount of Meth in country, they failed because now instead of home brewing our own, we smuggle industrial scale quantities from China.
    B) if the goal was to halt the organisation of NZ gangs into organised crime they failed, because now they're just local franchise outlet for the international triad syndicates.

The thing we may have done is reduced actual Meth houses in the country, but at the cost of massively inconveniencing tens of thousands of sinus sufferers, loss of millions of dollars of economic productivity to sick leave, and increased overloading of unnecessary GP visits.

You don't solve a drug problem by restricting supply, because more supply is usually readily available. You have to reduce demand, or else you're just kicking the can down the road.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    pffft, look at this guy, proposing sensible drug policy.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular

?

Sudafed's 3 day warning is most likely CYA by the drug manufacturer. Basically it's a "if it didn't go away in 3 days it might be something else and you shoulda asked your doctor Not our fault!"

I will say afrin's 3 day warning is totally legit. It's a local vasoconstrictor and if you use it too long the body compensates by making more vessels at the site. So when you quit you're going to be congested even if you're not having allergies. I used to be an afrin addict and quiting that shit is miserable.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Our stores are open until 11 pm.

Right now there’s 5” of snow on the ground, in a region that is not used to that much snow. I hope the bosses sent people home early. :/

• Options
    edited February 2019
    r27dA3p.jpg
    CfTaxIu.jpg
    YEVkJav.jpg

Weaver on
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    Our stores are open until 11 pm.

Right now there’s 5” of snow on the ground, in a region that is not used to that much snow. I hope the bosses sent people home early. :/

My work closed 2 hours after I got there today.

Luckily the 24 hour donut shop by my house was still open

Go Go gadget weekend

• Options
    edited February 2019

?

WHY do I even pay doctors for medical advice if they're going to lie to me???

Different docs have different styles of practicing medicine. My mother takes a... pragmatic approach.

More to the point, drug companies are (often) unreliable sources of information. Their motivations are to sell drugs and to not get sued, with actual patient welfare a distant third. Make friends with a pharmacist, if you can - they generally know what's up, but they might be limited in what they're allowed to tell you while working, because of employer liability. Obviously, listen to your doctor too. They have overlapping, but different, areas of expertise.

Calica on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    my professional association's facebook page is increasingly becoming like /r/oldpeoplefacebook

yesterday someone posted a 'link' which was their local path to a downloaded outlook email

another just tagged two friends, no other content

today i had to rail against jordan peterson

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Got another 3” of snow since my last post. 8” total.

Snow is forecast for the rest of the week.

Plows don’t come here so I’m beginning to think even a week’s worth of food might not be enough.

• Options
    Add another inch onto the pics I posted above.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Edit: actually nvm, this may be in poor taste

Moriveth on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Organichu wrote: »
    it's kind of nuts how OP networking can be. i've gotten essentially zero results from 40 cold applications. i know i'm trying to shift industries, shift from retail work to office work, move across the country, i don't have a degree and am relying on experience- i expected a hard job search. one friend is like hey i know this person who knows this person. they email me, we exchange 20 emails, we talk on the phone for half an hour, they review my resume and tailor it for their company culture, they apply for me (without me having to do anything) to five roles, all with them as my employee referrer. and then they said, pick the one or two most interesting looking roles and i'll go in person and talk to those specific recruiters/hiring managers and tell them you seem cool and smart, will you be willing to look beyond the no degree pls?

i assume she gets a referral bonus if i get hired or maybe just really enjoys mentoring people. idk. maybe i won't get hired (or even interviewed, if they won't flex about the degree). but dang. i'm still grinding out more applications but it's really disorienting and humbling to just see my dozens of hours of custom resumes, cover letters, research of various companies etc get nowhere vs oh yeah i went to school with this person i think they live in the city where you're trying to find work??????? and that potentially gets me interviews for 5 roles

ain't dat some shit

dang. i got none of these jobs. none of the five roles even phone screened me before rejecting.

dropping out of school may have been a miscalculation

• Options
    Weaver wrote: »
    Add another inch onto the pics I posted above.

Yeah, we know. This is the internet.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Typically when it's really really cold I lose an inch, not gain one!

• Options

?

Huh! Good to know. Guess I'm on this train until I'm feeling better, then.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Today at lunch I educated some of the teachers on the unfortunate side effects of selective cannibalism in tribal societies in relation to ancient misogyny.

And their response was something akin to, "WHY DO YOU KNOW THESE THINGS!?!?!"

A fair inquiry.

Please share

Edit:
    caught up with thread

Human Spinal fluid like russian roulette when you eat

Women in certain cannibalistic tribes were given role of preparing food and subsequently were exposed to/consumed more fluid.

As were their children who would have been around said mothers

Prions, mutated proteins, would have been in the spinal fluid and caused brain disease in a portion of the in people that consumed it.

Long term, 3 to 1 ratio of men to women

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    I texted HR and they closed two of our stores (and their accompanying glass & wares stores), good. The other two will close early. They’re on the coast and didn’t get nearly as much snow, so a few employees were able to make it in.

So far I haven’t heard of any bigger build-ups of snow in the county than in our neighborhood...

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Huzzah, off till 4 pm sunday. Then drive to work, in the snow, to drive around all night, in the snow, and return home, in the snow.

Current objectives
    Shower
    Taxes
    Second phase art for visual novel
    Rpgmaker practice (these assets are shit!)
    Beat rebel galaxy and get a dreadnought

This discussion has been closed.