As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Xbox/XBL] Crackdown 3 is out! And not delayed again!

• Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    That's really cool. I hope they turn out good

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I'm assuming they are remakes of sorts

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I really wasn't the target audience for this episode of Inside Xbox - after it was over, I had to google Terry Crews to find out who he was, and it turns out that I've seen three movies with him in them and can't remember his character in any of them - but it was OK. It really seems like a show they put on to say, look, we are still serious about this whole video game business, we are super sorry that we implied that the reason to buy an Xbox is to keep track of your fantasy basketball league.

The Metro Exodus trailer was trippy in a good way. Could not care less about Jump Force or Sea of Thieves. Adaptive controller ad is just manipulative and evil and damnit I have dust in my eyes again. Gamepass continues to get some pretty good stuff. Would have liked some more back compat announcements but meh.

Have you never heard of Old Spice's Body Odor Blocker (That Blocks BO For Up To Sixteen Hours)?

I am a kinda sad media hermit. Like, we have rabbit ears so my wife can watch the New Year’s Eve special every year, but the last time I actually watched live television was when a bunch of asshats were flying planes into buildings in New York. Sometimes I will be in an airport or at the barber and there will be televisions everywhere and I will see a commercial and finally get the joke that everyone has been making for months.

Also today I learned that Old Spice is still a thing somehow.

Stepping away from my cynical suspicion at internet cultural cache and street cred, like Kotaku, I think it's very easy for someone to be totally unfamiliar with someone like Terry Crews, even at what is probably at or close to "peak memetic fame" by a combination of personal charisma and smart distribution.

Internet fame is weird like this. Returning to the other point--I don't know the lead developer behind, for example, Smash Brothers, even though I have zero doubt that he or someone next to him has an internet cult of personality to him to the point where he probably has a part-time security detail. He has hundreds of thousands of people worldwide who will follow his every word. I only know about Hideo Kojima because I've played the last several of his good (and mediocre) video games, and have watched his personality cult develop over the last decade, at least, as an auteur. I know who Guillermo Del Toro is, but for the life of me I cannot figure out why the internet worships the ground he walks on, when even his most adamant fans have to concede some of what he's produced (like a certain sequel) is kind of shit. I wouldn't recognize him if I saw a photo of him (I think I get him and George R. R. Martin confused).

I think Terry Crews occupies a similar space. When we're inundated with media as we are, even nationally rather than globally, 99% of the players aren't Tom Cruise or Christian Bale or Chow Yun Fat (he is famous, you shut the fuck up, you philistine). They aren't going to be household names like that. Terry Crews occupies that space, where he could be beloved to the point of worship, and a total unknown otherwise. Considering how well Pacific Rim did in Taiwan, I'm pretty sure that's 23 million people who if you mentioned Guillermo Del Toro they'd ask, "Wait, who?" It's not like some 300 million Americans known who Mamoru Oshii is, and Dreamworks just put Scarlett Johansson in an adaptation of a movie he made.

This is an interesting mental exercise to me. Think of whom, among media personalities, you would consider household names. Unless you're limiting yourself to Tom Hanks or Jesus of Nazareth, some portion of them are probably completely unknown among an audience of tens of millions, or more, who do have televisions and computers and do consume media. It's a very big world, and we've flooded limited time with seemingly limitless media.

And I really, really like Brooklyn 99--I just haven't watched it regularly since it stopped airing on Sunday evenings. Tuesday evenings I do something else.

See, I know who Chow Yun Fat is, and I know Christian Bale from the Batman movies, and I knew that Del Toro was the Hellboy guy but I didn't realize he'd directed Pacific Rim as well.

But I am super clueless in general. I was a big Babylon 5 fan back in its heyday, and went to a B5 convention in Los Angeles at one point. While I was roaming the halls waiting for a panel to start, I see this guy wearing a B5 hat that I didn't recognize - it wasn't standard merch, obviously it was a custom job - so I went up to him and said something along the lines of "hey, cool hat" and the guy thanked me.

So when I got into the panel and Cool Hat Guy walked up on stage and got introduced as the creator of the show, it was a little embarrassing.

JMS is just that kind of dude.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Seeing who I don't know that is, I feel clueless too.

Here's an interesting development: Battlefront II is discounted to $6.25 US for the next three days. Which sounds like about the right price to pay for that game, at least for me--assuming anyone's still playing the multiplayer, since the singleplayer is a kind of a joke. Though Sony advertised both BF titles heavily, it does look better on XB1X.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE72jzVHph8

Synthesis on
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    i really enjoyed the single player campaign. it's dumb fun.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    I wasn't impressed. It felt like rather a waste of a very talented, capable actress...on a story that was boring at best, and repurposed multiplayer maps on average and crap at worse. I'm sure some people enjoyed it, but even the people I knew who were excited about it as bridging the gap between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens seemed extremely let-down. Having John Boyega hype it up probably didn't help.

As an actual single-player experience, it made Halo 4 look like a masterpiece, unsurprisingly. Titanfall 2 as well.

Still, it sure was purdy.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Hulu's like $6 a month you cheapskates, don't steal shows. Pay the teeny tiny amount it costs to do it right.

Also nobody's got a review of the Xbox version of Jedi Academy up anymore, it ran ok right?

Peen wrote: »
    Hulu's like $6 a month you cheapskates, don't steal shows. Pay the teeny tiny amount it costs to do it right.

Also nobody's got a review of the Xbox version of Jedi Academy up anymore, it ran ok right?

some of us live in canada where there is no hulu! (I do still subscribe to cable though instead cause canada.. also sports)

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    I would rather just set an alarm on my phone to remind me to catch it on Tuesday nights. Cable internet is the only internet here that doesn't suck or cost a fortune, might as well get TV as well.

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Yes, I'll play through a dumb Star Wars campaign for $6.

I would rather just set an alarm on my phone to remind me to catch it on Tuesday nights. Cable internet is the only internet here that doesn't suck or cost a fortune, might as well get TV as well.

pvr that shit my dawg

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    Hardtarget wrote: »

pvr that shit my dawg

Hilariously enough, I am still too much a cheapskate to pay the monthly fee for DVR functionality from Charter (which is all of like $5 or $10).

On top of that, for years I told myself I was going to buy a standalone DVR, as the Cable Companies, and the ISPs, aggressively butchered that marketplace so I never did. I probably could at this point, though left wondering how I'd run the feed from my cable box, to the DVR, to my Xbox One X in turn, since the Xbox channel guide is head and shoulders above what you get with local cable and satellite companies.

• PoochPooch Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    As an actual single-player experience, it made Halo 4 look like a masterpiece, unsurprisingly. Titanfall 2 as well.

But Titanfall 2 is an awesome single-player on its own....

Pooch on

pvr that shit my dawg

Hilariously enough, I am still too much a cheapskate to pay the monthly fee for DVR functionality from Charter (which is all of like $5 or $10).

On top of that, for years I told myself I was going to buy a standalone DVR, as the Cable Companies, and the ISPs, aggressively butchered that marketplace so I never did. I probably could at this point, though left wondering how I'd run the feed from my cable box, to the DVR, to my Xbox One X in turn, since the Xbox channel guide is head and shoulders above what you get with local cable and satellite companies.

jesus, the USA sucks. they don't just like give you a "free" PVR while you have your cable contract going? Do you have to pay for your own Cable Modem too?!

:\

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular

pvr that shit my dawg

jesus, the USA sucks. they don't just like give you a "free" PVR while you have your cable contract going? Do you have to pay for your own Cable Modem too?!

*Cough*

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    But with Net Neutrality repealed, it should start getting better any day now.

Yep, any day now.

edited February 2019
    Pooch wrote: »

But Titanfall 2 is an awesome single-player on its own....

And BFII makes it and Halo 4's look better.

pvr that shit my dawg

No, probably because Charter and all the companies realized people would use their own hardware. So they removed that item from your billing statement and just raised the prices anyway.

I do pay for a second cable box though.

Synthesis on
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    BFII's campaign started strongly and slowly went downhill. And it has an even more egregious "doesn't have an ending" than Halo 2. At least that didn't tell you to go and look for the ending in multiplayer...

But, you know, I still enjoyed it well enough. It kept me playing and didn't outstay its welcome (not just a polite way of saying it's short, but it doesn't need to be any longer). I got a used physical copy for super cheap, and it was worth it. It looked fantastic and ran really well even on my OG Xbone. And the lead actress is pretty great. Six bucks is fine.

Jazz on
    I thought it was pretty mediocre to start out. The shipboard captivity was mildly interesting, though not really an area rife for experimentation, and 10 minutes of a visually impressive if shallow take on TIE Fighter is fun, but it doesn't hold up next to, for example, Titanfall 2 or any Halo game. The start of Killzone did interesting stuff and looked pretty too. It's a Killzone campaign.

Speaking of meh games--that's unfair, Until Dawn is probably a much better singleplayer experience over all--anyone heard of Victoria Miller from Playstation? I say that because she's worked on a surprising long list of PS games from different studios. She's going on The Imitative Team.

Also, Apex should be going multiplatform soon. I guess I better actually sit down and play it at some point.

• EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Sigh...I’m going to have to play apex legends to help them convince EA to let them make TF3 aren’t I.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Sigh...I’m going to have to play apex legends to help them convince EA to let them make TF3 aren’t I.

Sadly, I doubt the success of Apex Legends will move the needle on whether or not Titanfall 3 gets made. I'd look closer at how well that Star Wars game does.

Agreeing with the above, relax: I doubt the game's success will bode that well for the Titanfall franchise.

Well then I’m going to reinstall tf2 even if I can’t get any mop matches the campaign was super fun.

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Well then I’m going to reinstall tf2 even if I can’t get any mop matches the campaign was super fun.

i managed to get a few games earlier in the week. might need to deal with some wait times, but nothing to drastic from what i saw.

The less popular game modes are probably a dead end (on PSN too), but I think Attrition and the other one should be okay? Where you're cashing out between rounds?

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Getting a ton of new players invested in the Titanfall setting can only help prospects for Titanfall 3, IMO.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I have to imagine a lot of people have jumped back into Titanfall 2 also, I know I'm probably going to.

Yeah, same here. I wonder if I should just give up trying to finish the single-player (I'm at some boring part where I just finished activating that satellite transmitter), but I wouldn't mind playing some more Attrition or Bounty Hunt (that's what it was called) online.

• baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Yeah, same here. I wonder if I should just give up trying to finish the single-player (I'm at some boring part where I just finished activating that satellite transmitter), but I wouldn't mind playing some more Attrition or Bounty Hunt (that's what it was called) online.

You're over 2/3rds of the way through the campaign, and if you played much of the first game you have at least one piece of serious fan service waiting for you.

In this context, fan service does not mean boobs. I feel I should clarify that. Titanfall is one of the few games that I don't think could be enhanced by... well, no, maybe. Hmm. But in this case it's not.

edited February 2019

You're over 2/3rds of the way through the campaign, and if you played much of the first game you have at least one piece of serious fan service waiting for you.

In this context, fan service does not mean boobs. I feel I should clarify that. Titanfall is one of the few games that I don't think could be enhanced by... well, no, maybe. Hmm. But in this case it's not.

Titanfall's plainly evident attempts at boobs have, frankly, been disappointing at best. With the possible exception of the female cloaked IMC snipers from the first game. TF2? Total write-off. Zip up, militia lady--between the nausea-inducing warp the dropship took to get to the surface, and jumping out to get shot in the face by the enemy, no one wants to see those things.

EDIT: Oh My God, someone else noticed too.
    2f4bfbb95ef05ddd4180ea5b07d1e82c.gif

Synthesis on
  • baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    BFII's campaign started strongly and slowly went downhill. And it has an even more egregious "doesn't have an ending" than Halo 2. At least that didn't tell you to go and look for the ending in multiplayer...

But, you know, I still enjoyed it well enough. It kept me playing and didn't outstay its welcome (not just a polite way of saying it's short, but it doesn't need to be any longer). I got a used physical copy for super cheap, and it was worth it. It looked fantastic and ran really well even on my OG Xbone. And the lead actress is pretty great. Six bucks is fine.

BFII's campaign was hyped as a lead up to the start of The Last Jedi, but they didn't put the mission that leads into TLJ into the game until after TLJ was in theaters and even then they didn't do much to tie them together.

On the other hand, the Starfighter Assault mode was my time waster of choice for several evenings, since it's the first game in ages that lets me fly my favorite Star Wars ship and it looks gorgeous - even on the base 'bone, but extra stunning on the bonks in 4k.

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    The less popular game modes are probably a dead end (on PSN too), but I think Attrition and the other one should be okay? Where you're cashing out between rounds?

well the matchmaking pools them all together and lets you toggle off those you don't wan to play. i left everything on but think it was just Attrition that popped up. only played a few round and was jumping out to check on other stuff between rounds, so understand why that may have contributed to waiting times.

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Frontier Defense is still fairly decently populated. I can regularly find matches at any hour of the day on all platforms (PS4, Xbone, PC) for TF2 FD.

PC Titanfall 1 Frontier Defense is deader than Battlefield Hardline.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    PC Titanfall multiplayer died before Xbox One Titanfall multiplayer. Several months before, even.

Which is kind of fucked up.

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    When I played on the PC earlier this week (I am yet another person who finally played TF2 now that Apex came out) the MP matches I got with everything selected were Attrition, Amped Hardpoint, and Titan Fight

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    PC Titanfall multiplayer died before Xbox One Titanfall multiplayer. Several months before, even.

New Hotness won't play itself.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    It's nice to see Respawn finally get something to go their way. After getting fired from Activision, the TF1 exclusivity boondoggle (EA made it permanently exclusive to the Xbox One after launch, while the PS4 version was in active development) and the VERY shitty TF2 release date, they kind of had a rough go of it.

New Hotness won't play itself.

That new hotness being "not Titanfall or Titanfall II".

First we fight then we drink! I forgot how much I liked that you could pick your mulitplayer “side”. Angel city elite for life ! Barkers quotes were the best . We are winning? Hey we are winning!