As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Civilization] New civs, leaders, game features announced as a new season. Vampires!

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    After Indonesia, Japan is probably second best at small island cities. Their ability to cluster districts together lets them get more yields out of less space.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    Firaxis owns my wallet, so I have gathering storm ready to go. If anyone wants to try some multiplayer on the 16th hit me up on steam.

Sometime after 2 PM?

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Haven't played Civ in a few years, and haven't played anything later than Civ IV. What am I in for if I pick up Civ6 and go, without any research?

Turns out a free weekend is timed perfectly for me!

• Options
    Interesting bit from the latest devstream:

They moved a bunch of policy cards from the three modern era leaf civics (suffrage, class struggle, and totalitarianism) to ideology. The policy cards they left in the leaf civics where buffed, but are now exclusive to the governments they unlock with. This means that if you don't intend to ever switch to a particular tier 3 government, than you never need to bother researching the civic that unlocks it, which will save you a little bit of culture in the endgame.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Firaxis owns my wallet, so I have gathering storm ready to go. If anyone wants to try some multiplayer on the 16th hit me up on steam.

Sometime after 2 PM?

That shouldn't be a problem and give us a couple hours at least. As long as something else doesn't come up I'll be there.

• Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular

I bought gathering storm and had enough tokens for another discount to use on Total War: Three Kingdoms.

Strategy fans unite.

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Hungary, Mali and Phoenicia look like "Slow start but god help you if you don't disrupt them" civs. Hungary needs money, envoys, city state placement, time for city states to build up and the right techs to utilize Raven King well, but if they do they can get loads of max-power units for defense or invasion within one friggin turn. Three or even four districts per city in half the normal time is just gravy.

Mali needs the right amount of desert with a decent mix of hills and flat tiles, but once they get some well-placed cities and districts despite the production malus, they are like Korea but for money, with faith as an extra currency for a religious victory or purchasing buildings etc.

Phoenicia has no yield bonuses and needs Cothons and the right policy cards but if not accosted early on they can toss out cities like nothing and adjust to loyalty pressure with ease.

Absalon on
  • Options

Sometime after 2 PM?

That shouldn't be a problem and give us a couple hours at least. As long as something else doesn't come up I'll be there.

Also I suspect they are absolute garbage in MP but I want Mali anyway.

• Options
    Mali will usually have food problems too and will be sensitive to floods due to a reliance on flood plains. And with a desert start bias they are more likely to be in the center of larger landmasses, which decreases their chances of being away from neighbors that would take advantage of their weak start. Definitely a solid drawback in an MP game where enemies factor in your ability to steamroll later and can prioritize you.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Egypt needs to have something about river flooding not destroying farms; annual flooding on the Nile was very nearly the cornerstone of their food production.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Egypt needs to have something about river flooding not destroying farms; annual flooding on the Nile was very nearly the cornerstone of their food production.

Agreed, and Netherlands some kind of protection against it. Either that ornadd techs that all civs have access to and just give civs with a strong historical tie a bonus to 'em.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

Sometime after 2 PM?

Also I suspect they are absolute garbage in MP but I want Mali anyway.

If we are pre-claiming civs, then I'm calling dibs on Canada.

• Options
    People are posting some old civ's changes:

1) Stepwells (India) are immune to droughts.
    2) Tsikhe (Georgia) is a bit better but I don't recall exactly what its old numbers were. Now cheaper and more defensive bonus than regular Ren Walls, +4 faith.
    3) Egypt: immune to flood damage
    4) Japan: units immune to hurricanes, civs at war with Japan get double unit damage from hurricanes

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular

[snip]
    4) Japan: units immune to hurricanes, civs at war with Japan get double unit damage from hurricanes

I get it but to me that seems like it is straight out supernatural power - they didn't do anything to cause the storms that destroyed the invading armies. It wasn't any sort of scientific advancement or a technology or any other feature of Japanese civilization, they just got damn lucky the storms happened when they did. Seems a bit silly to me.

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Mirkel wrote: »

[snip]

I get it but to me that seems like it is straight out supernatural power - they didn't do anything to cause the storms that destroyed the invading armies. It wasn't any sort of scientific advancement or a technology or any other feature of Japanese civilization, they just got damn lucky the storms happened when they did. Seems a bit silly to me.

It is super niche but I actually love minor spicy things like this. I hope one of the future techs is weather control.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    Did she just flip a capital city at the 1:40 mark?

There's an achievement for this! Which I have gotten a couple times, it's not really that hard if you aim for it.

• Options
    There's apparently no change to Netherlands, which seems wrong. Reclaiming land from the rising oceans is like, their thing.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    There's apparently no change to Netherlands, which seems wrong. Reclaiming land from the rising oceans is like, their thing.

Yes, godverdomme.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    There's a lot of sponsored Twitch streams going on today for the expansion. Like featured on the front page of the site.

• Options

[snip]

They were experienced enough to know that you should stay out of the ocean when there's a giant storm happening.

Which is apparently more than I can say for most of their East Asian rivals.

• Options
    Norway gets better pillaging as eras advance and naff-all else. Georgia is still very meh unless you somehow get a religion and strong faith going.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular

[snip]

To be fair, a lot of the civ bonuses are kinda iffy from a historical stand point. Fun>realism any day for me.

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular

[snip]

They were experienced enough to know that you should stay out of the ocean when there's a giant storm happening.

Not getting damaged is not to the part I find weird, it's the doubling your enemy's hurricane damage that verges on the magical. How are they doing that? Is it giant fans, wind mills on reverse, monks chanting weather spells, what?

It's not ruining the game forever for me, just sort of breaking my suspension of disbelief.

• Options

[snip]

Not getting damaged is not to the part I find weird, it's the doubling your enemy's hurricane damage that verges on the magical. How are they doing that? Is it giant fans, wind mills on reverse, monks chanting weather spells, what?

It's not ruining the game forever for me, just sort of breaking my suspension of disbelief.

I guess if they wanted to be more realistic, they could have specifically given China, Mongolia, and Korea a double hurricane damage malus, rather than just anyone who's at war with Japan.

Not as fun that way though.

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular

[snip]

latest?cb=20180606181038

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    I'm just going to chalk it up to King Ghidora.

Steam
  • Options
    The name of the ability is literally Divine Wind and always has been.

• Options
    Another new ability: China gets canals at Masonry, rather than I dunno when. But not that early.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Compared to Steam Power? That is plenty early, with only one prerequisite.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Not to harp, again, but giving Norway naval unit resistance to weather events would probably be a fitting buff for a bottom-tier civilization.

• Options
    Australia's liberation production bonus cut in half to 10 turns.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Still amazing though.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    The polygon review is pretty much what I was expecting. The grievance and diplomacy systems are a welcome addition but all the environmental and global warming stuff is pretty weak. Given that the grievance system works great in the Endless series, that's not much of a surprise. And given that diplomacy seems to be ported from Civ 5, that likewise isn't much of a surprise.

On one hand, I like that they took a chance with something new like environmental impact but on the other, by Civ 5's 3rd expansion the game really fleshed out. It feels like a missed opportunity to tune up the AI and really pull Civ 6 together by improving existing systems.

Hopefully there will be mods that help tune the environmental stuff. I remember how much of a pain they were in SimCity back in the day, I'd love to have an option for some really unrealistic stuff for a challenge. Speaking of unrealistic, has anyone done a Kaiju mod or anything? Seems like that could be fun with random Kaiju or Aliens that you ally with other civ's to take down and get bonuses by doing so.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    I think they are going for a 3rd expansion eventually, so there may be room for some more mechanical development. There were some rumblings that they were wanting to move civ 6 to a more paradox model.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Why couldn't they just launch a day early? I am on vacation next week so will be spending time with real people.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    This Black Death Scenario the devs are showing off now looks pretty rad. I've ignored scenarios before, but ill give this one a shot for sure.

Steam
  • Options
    If you sign up for a 2K account, you can get some free Scout Cat DLC when Gathering Storm launches.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    I think they are going for a 3rd expansion eventually, so there may be room for some more mechanical development. There were some rumblings that they were wanting to move civ 6 to a more paradox model.

Duh, forgot this was only the 2nd expansion. I suppose that's good news, they have 1 more to go to complete the game. Though I wouldn't be surprised if they moved to a paradox model, they have this running on iPad's and the Switch, with that core work done, kind of makes sense to do more expansions than normal. Are Paradox's expansions $40 though?

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »

Duh, forgot this was only the 2nd expansion. I suppose that's good news, they have 1 more to go to complete the game. Though I wouldn't be surprised if they moved to a paradox model, they have this running on iPad's and the Switch, with that core work done, kind of makes sense to do more expansions than normal. Are Paradox's expansions $40 though?

Well.. no, but if it were a Paradox expansion it would be 19.99 for the expansion with the diplomacy and new civs plus 2.99 for the unique unit art plus 2.99 for the new civs to have a custom leaderhead plus 5.00 for the music plus 9.99 for the natural disasters 2 months from now.

On the plus side half the changes would get pushed in a patch to all players anyway.

• Options
    The free parts of this expansion is a patch:
    [AI]

AI now builds and uses aircraft more effectively.
    Weaken AI garrisoning if they can use it to take an enemy city.
    Don't send more than one unit to capture a given unescorted civilian.
    In non-emergency situations, AI will not trade away more gold per turn than they make excluding trade deals.
    Improve AI ability to garrison ranged units during city attacks.
    When AI takes a city, automatically assign a defender.
    If an AI can take a city this turn, don't try to defend your units first in the process
    Increase value of picking up resources for unit maintenance.
    Digging up artifacts in an ally's territory counts as an incursion.
    Barbarian raid timer now starts as soon as the first unit arrives in range, instead of waiting for the final unit.
    Allow barbarians to go through unexplored territory as part of an attack.
    AI will protect units assigned to defend a city from attack while they are trying to get to the city.
    Increase weighting for Naval Superiority AI trees to focus on building sea units.
    AI tries to figure out if a city is on the periphery before taking it, avoids jumping into the center of the Empire unless it needs to.
    Allow AI to levy for defensive purposes.
    AI now simplifies/focuses trade deals when requesting trades, rather than asking/offering a smorgasbord of items.
    Correct an issue that was preventing the AI from properly theming artifact collections.
    Don't warn or get angry if partner converts target city of religious emergency.

[UI]

New Features
    Front End: Hall of Fame – Victory and defeat tracking with detailed statistics and graphs for each.
    In-Game: Build Queue and Multi-Queue, along with tabbed interface to toggle between modes.
    Lens: Empire Lens – When toggled, displays owned territory, as well as district locations and base yields from districts.
    World Resources Report: Breakdown of how many strategic and luxury resources each major civ possesses that you’ve met.
    Mini-map: New mini-map that is easier to read, and a new full-screen mini-map mode that you can toggle in-game.
    Map Labels: In-world text labels on Natural Wonders and National Parks. (Gathering Storm ruleset games only)
    Game Setup/Options additions
    Multiple Colorblind Accessibility options available.
    Touch Input Enable checkbox available
    Cloud Shadows Graphics option available.
    Mouse Wheel Speed slider option available.
    Warning about Mod Compatibility checkbox available.
    Gathering Storm Benchmark options (requires Gathering Storm) available.
    Civilization “Jersey” System: Automatically adjusts Civilization color schemes if they are too close in color range to each other.
    Scalable resource and yield icons with high-resolution textures available (can be modified via XML).
    Automatically hide the city ranged attack interface when selecting a unit.
    Automatically hide ranged attack arrow if a selected unit is out of moves.
    Automatically adjust the positioning of unit flags covering the city range strike button if an enemy unit moves in range.
    Add recommended target tile highlighting for the Archaeologist.
    Unit cycling logic improvement, reducing the instances of the camera getting pulled away from where the user intends to go.
    Pop-up and advisor queue ordering updates and progress.
    Additional misc. UI and text fixes, tweaks and updates.

[GRAPHICS]

New particle system increases performance and allows many more particles to be visible at the same time (much less likely to see effects flicker or fail to play correctly in complex scenes).
    Slowly moving cloud shadows (can be toggled via graphics options).
    New terrain/model reflections (previously only ocean/rivers had reflections).
    Sub-pixel filtering for floating UI elements (fixes ‘jitter’ on unit flags and city banners as camera moves).
    Improved shadow quality on leaders, obsolete 8K shadow map option removed from ‘ultra’ settings.
    Further performance and memory usage improvements in DX12.
    Visual fidelity improvements and sharpness of culture borders and overlays at all graphics quality levels.
    Various improvements to city and road layouts.
    Various graphics performance optimizations.
    Multithreading performance improvements.

[MULTIPLAYER]

New Features
    Play By Cloud (requires a network connection)
    Multiple desync and stability fixes

[BALANCE]

Barbarians
    Make Barbarian camps spawn recon ranged units in later starts.
    Unit and Unit Combat
    Scale pillage rewards by era (except healing).
    All healing rewards are now 50 HP.
    Adjust pillaging rewards of science and culture improvements to be a base value of 15 instead of 25.
    Update the Machine Gun to have a range of 2.
    Add Mobile Ranged tags to spawn different units other than Horse Archers late in the game.
    Air Unit Combat Strength increase to more appropriately match corresponding land Army formations. (Gathering Storm ruleset games only)
    Anti-Air Unit Combat Strength increase to match new Air Unit balance, and lower maintenance. (Gathering Storm ruleset games only)
    Players can now start with unique units even if they are not direct replacements.
    Make the Missile Cruiser the same movement range as the Battleship.
    City and City Combat
    Combat balance – double wall hit points for all three tiers. Outer defense strength modifier increase for all 3 tiers to 3 (was 2).
    Update the Government Plaza to have the same base plunder value as other districts.
    Audience Chamber government building down to 3 Housing (was 4 Housing).
    Tech and Civics Tree
    Oil Well improvement now unlocked with the Steel technology. This is consistent with other resource reveals and the improvements that extract them
    Policies and Governments
    Total War Policy now gives +50% more Gold from pillaging.
    Remove the double dipping of Huey Teocalli, Mausoleum at Halicarnassus, and Apadana Wonders from Policy Cards.
    Update Strategic Airforce Policy to include all aircraft.
    Civil Prestige Policy now only requires a Governor with 2 promotions and provides 2 Housing.
    Policies that give increased production now continue to operate on old units.
    Policies now apply to all wonders prior to the Policy era. (i.e. now Gothic Architecture applies to Ancient, Classical, Medieval, and Renaissance Wonders before it just applied to Medieval and Renaissance).
    Civs
    Tamar now has a Faith preference.
    Sphinxes can now be built next to each other.
    Religion
    Defender of the Faith reduction from +10 down to +5
    Add faith to late starts.
    Espionage
    Counterspy and Listening Post missions are now renewable on the mission completed popup
    Spread out all Civilization and City-State starting positions where possible when generating the map.

[PERFORMANCE]

Many performance updates to Trade Route calculations, pathing, and reports.
    Significant improvements to turn/AI processing times, especially late-game.
    Multiple UI performance improvements across different panels and screens in-game.

[GENERAL BUGS]

Units and Unit Combat
    Heavy Cavalry promotion prerequisite connections now fixed.
    Allow players to deploy aircraft in allied territory.
    Air units can now attack a defensible district with a civilian unit garrisoned there.
    Multiple additional aircraft Rebase and Deploy bug fixes.
    Paradrop should not consider a City Center to be an airfield.
    When changing ownership of a unit (from a levy in most cases) the unit's experience and experience level was not being transferred. This is now working properly.
    The Garrison promotion is now working properly.
    Units joining a corps or army could receive build charges improperly. This is now working properly.
    Units are now forced to relocate if they are in an invalid location after a settlement is placed.
    Constructing a Roman fort improvement building now properly ends that unit's turn.
    Alliance combat modifiers are now displayed properly in the UI.
    Units with build charges are now able to be trained even in cities that have contaminated fallout.
    The Defense strength modifier for terrain was incorrectly showing the cumulative amount in the preview text instead of the itemized amount. This has been corrected.
    Fix for an issue that could disallow an attack on an enemy city if it had a friendly unit inside.
    Fix for an issue where aircraft could get disconnected from the carrier when it passed through another unit.
    Assume the WMD combat is always in the camera view, it can easily be skipped if it is partially off screen.
    Fix for an issue that was causing odd movement queue paths when they had long unit paths set.
    Cities and City Combat
    Fix for multiple production overflow issues.
    Fix for Urban Defenses Policy not properly granting 400 hit points to city defenses.
    Minor adjacency bonuses should not apply when placing districts next to a pillaged district. This has been corrected.
    Fix for city centers not getting additional production and food from modifiers.
    Fix for Pillaged districts still providing amenities.
    Prohibit Free Cities from building palaces which was allowing duplicate (forged!?) copies of Great Works to get into the game.
    If a city is razed, all National Parks are now properly removed.
    The correct players' units will be properly expelled when a city is transferred by trade.
    Fixes for multiple issues with fallout contaminated plots in cities
    Fix for pillaged districts when transferring a city.
    Fix for District model visuals not updating properly from a pillaged state when repaired.
    Restore district combat if the building that gives combat strength is completed mid-turn.
    If a district is pillaged, update the stats on its banner, if it has one, and on the parent city, so the Garrison Strength will update.
    Great People
    Fix for Great Generals and Admirals not being able to activate on opposing units.
    Allow a Great Person to be activated immediately if a required building is purchased underneath him or her.
    Loyalty
    When a conquered city is kept, update some figures related to its Loyalty per turn, to ensure that the displayed UI data is correct and consistent
    When a city is locked at full Loyalty due to a game effect (Statue of Liberty, Phoenicia unique ability), show the Loyalty per turn as 0 and stable in the UI, and show "Always fully loyal" in the panel's math breakdown.
    Policies and Governments
    Fix for Praetorium Policy not correctly applying unless the Governor was established.
    Democracy's government bonus shouldn't apply if the district is pillaged.
    The Classic Republic government Amenity and Housing bonus should only count if the city has an unpillaged district.
    Fix for issue that was allowing Dark Age policies to remain slotted beyond their appropriate era.
    Trade Routes
    Fix for many trade route bonuses that were only designed to apply to the owner (origin) of a trade route applying to recipients (destination) of a trade route as well.
    Trade Route Capacity is now correctly reduced when buildings are pillaged.
    Civs
    Fix for Alexander's preferences not working properly.
    Fix for Sumeria and Foreign Ministry building not properly working together.
    Ensure that Mvemba doesn't receive the Devout agenda.
    Fix for issue where City-State Protector agenda was cross-wired with the Civilized agenda and one leader could care about both at same time.
    Techs and Civics
    Apprenticeship now functions properly when repairing an improvement.
    Espionage
    Add details to text for Rise and Fall spy missions.
    Disable the Skip Turn and Sleep buttons when spies are on a mission.
    Outlaw Listening Post mission vs. Allies.
    Don’t let bonuses to Spy “Establish” time in city exceed 100%.
    Historic moments based on making tile improvements (ex. on a tile with extra yield from a natural disaster, first Mountain Tunnel) will no longer trigger when the improvement is gained by conquering or otherwise gaining ownership of a city where the improvement already existed.
    Correct an error in Archipelago that was causing it to not generate tiny Islands.
    Allow joint and 3rd party wars immediately after denouncement if a Golden Age war is available.
    Fix for order of operations bug preventing governor effects to re-apply when a governor is re-assigned to a city they are already established in.
    Pillaged Districts should not appear in the “purchase” menu when players are allowed to buy Districts with Gold using the Financier governor.
    Exploits
    Players can no longer swap tiles FROM an occupied city. Prevents exploit of "conquer, raid it for tiles, return it in peace.”
    Correct production overflow calculation so multipliers (like policy cards) get backed out of overflow.
    Additional misc. Gossip corrections and streamlining.
    Additional misc. crash fixes.

[ART]

Environment
    Brazil city set and palace updated.
    City Center art adjustments to include Canals for coastal cities. Granaries and Monuments are also updated.
    All model updates and optimizations.
    Material polish pass to brighten materials to match visual style.
    Update geometry of base models for performance.
    Completely remodel all female characters.
    Skin tones for all units appropriate to their civilizations.
    Team color embedded in the textures.
    Update tint color on all vehicles to match their historical origins.
    Setup tint color for all modern uniforms: Infantry and vehicle crews.
    Model variety within the same units (various attachments, etc.)
    Extensive polish pass on all Great People; new models and new geometry.
    Adjust scale and count of air units.
    Adjust scale and count of sea units.
    Adjust siege unit crewmen and defenders to match the appropriate era.
    Adjust embarked ships to closer match the number of unit members on the field. Example: One transport for scouts and great people.
    Many additional misc. tweaks and updates.

[SCOUT CAT]

Alternate skin for Scout unit that replaces the Scout’s dog with three cats. Available to players who have linked their 2K Account.

[MODDING]

Add tagging for mod compatibility. Mods not tagged as compatible with the latest build will be disabled at start-up as well as have a warning dialog displayed when they are enabled. This behavior can be disabled on a per-mod basis or completely in the options dialog. Mods can be tagged as compatible by either adding "<CompatibleVersions>2.0</CompatibleVersions>" to the properties section of the modinfo or by marking compatible versions in the project page of ModBuddy.
    WorldBuilder updates, including “painting” mode, auto-coastlines, importing from “Tiled”, and more. We’re not done.