As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Streaming Services: TV Via A Series Of Tubes

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Rchanen wrote: »
    I can safely say, without spoilers, that I want all of you to go and watch Kingdom on Netflix and tell me what you thought.

Okay!

(12 minutes in)

Holy shit this is the most gorgeous South Korean show I’ve seen today

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    We are writing to inform you that the UltraViolet service is planning to shut down on July 31, 2019. You are receiving this message because you signed up for an UltraViolet Library or for a service that created an UltraViolet Library for you.

What does this mean for you?
    Between January 31 and July 31, 2019
    You can continue to access your UltraViolet movies and TV shows through the retailer(s) linked to your UltraViolet Library.
    You can also continue to purchase new movies and TV shows and redeem digital codes by following the redemption instructions. Depending on the retailer, these new purchases and redemptions may or may not be added to your UltraViolet Library.
    Linking your UltraViolet Library to additional retailers can maximize your access to your Library and help avoid potential disruption.
    After the shutdown date
    Your UltraViolet Library will automatically close and, in the majority of cases, your movies and TV shows will remain accessible at previously-linked retailers.
    You can continue to make online purchases and redeem codes, but these may only be available through that retailer, and will not be added to your UltraViolet Library.
    What should you do now?
    As soon as possible, login at myuv.com and choose Retailer Services to verify the retailers linked to your UltraViolet Library. If your Library is not currently linked to a retailer or if you would like to link to additional participating retailers, select one or more retailers to link to your UltraViolet Library.
    Don't unlink or close your UltraViolet Library, as UltraViolet and retailers will be working together to maximize your continued access to movies and TV shows.
    Look for further communications from UltraViolet and your retailers over the coming months, as some retailers may disconnect from UltraViolet before July 31.

Some details may be updated, so visit myuv.com/faq often for the most current information and answers to frequently asked questions.

Thank you for making UltraViolet part of how you enjoy digital entertainment. Please do not hesitate to contact customer support at customercare@uvvu.com if you have additional questions.

Sincerely,

The UltraViolet Team

God bless our digital future :razz:

Way behind on the thread and not finished reading through, but VUDU sent out an email to me too saying that since my UV account is linked my UV movies will still be available through them.

I think I linked all of my digital movie accounts through MoviesAnywhere at some point.

This is pretty much why I still predominantly by physical though.

LostNinja on
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Jessica Jones for best hacking scene I’ve seen in years:
    The dude had his login details taped to his monitor

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    The Final Table is a new-ish Netflix cooking competition show. I've been enjoying it. It's not revolutionary or funny or anything, but it's generally good-hearted. I mostly like the fact that it's a very international show: the theme each episode is a different country, and the judges are all from that country, and the chefs are all skilled pros from around the world. Episodes are also full hour-length, which I appreciate.

Not something I will focus on, but a great second-monitor show.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Kingdom is good

I watched it all today

Everybody go watch it

(Subs not dubs)

• GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Gnizmo wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Enc wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Viking wrote: »
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Boy, I'm glad I recommended Russian Doll in this thread before the premise was revealed in this thread

why do people always have to know what they're getting before they try it, gosh
    I have limited free time, there is far more content available than I have time to consume.
    gotta have some way to narrow down the field.

That's what recommendations are for.

Recommender: Yo, dog! I saw this awesome show called 13 Reasons Why. It was really cool.
    Literally everyone on earth upon hearing this statement: Oh yeah? What's it about?

Which conversationally leads back to the 15 second autopreview.

Nah.

Astaereth: "I saw this awesome movie. You should watch it."
    Me: "Ok, I'll go watch that now."
    /fin

or

Someone with good taste: "I saw this awesome movie. You should watch it."
    Me: "Ok, what's it like?"
    "It's like this romance thing and just trust me, it's great."
    "Ok"

I am glad this can work for you. That is beyond a terrible way for me to even try to consume media. I recently had an anime recommended to me repeatedly by a lot of my friends. It is a psychological horror show which they know is my jam. It also involves a lot of fucked up shit happening to kids which I cannot tolerate. Not only does it ruin the show, but it can fuck my whole week up if not longer depending on how bad it gets. It isn't a situation where I can see it coming and walk away either. Once I see it playing out it is too late for it not to fuck my mental state in so many ways. These are people well aware of my specific trauma with this and they genuinely just forgot for a moment. I am extremely happy I fought them to get a basic description of what the show was about because it saved me a ton of time, and legitimate suffering.

I flat out will not even entertain the concept of trying out a movie or a show unless you sell me on it first. Not just because there are mental trauma bombs waiting, but also because I have more media to consume than time in the day. I have little interest in trying something blind that might not work for me. Like it is cool that you (whoever you are) likes it but that doesn't mean it will tickle my fancy. Whatever specific thing that resonated with you might fall completely flat with me.

This idea that we can't have space for multiple ways to consume media just bugs the hell out of me as well. You want to go in blind? Go for it. I support you having the option. Don't deny me the ability to screen shit I don't want any part of though. I don't get why people get so upset, or argue over how someone else does stuff. I don't think my insistence on doing some research into why I might or might not like a show can really affect anyone else.

That's kind of a personal problem though isn't it? I'd assume your friends have an understanding of the things that trigger you.

Or, if things are as bad as you say in terms of those things impacting you wouldn't you just ask anybody who recommends something to you if it has X things that trigger you? I'm not sure how someone telling you what a movie was about would help get you around that, unless the break the plot out for you beat by beat.

Nobody here is saying you shouldn't have the right to screen things before seeing them, that doesn't preclude others going in blind. To each their own!

Which is why I said if people want to go in blind then more power to you. This was specifically in response to a chain asking why people need more than just a "hey this is a cool thing you should check out," in terms of recommendation.

As it pertains to this thread I sure don't expect people to know about my specific hang ups and mental quirks. It would be absurd to expect it. I also would have to question the purpose of this thread if we don't want even the most basic concepts of a show discussed. I guess it could be a series of spoilered posts. I won't complain if mods want to push it that way, but I also wouldn't open it. Like wise as the thread is structured now if I wanted to go in blind I would recommend not participating here because it seems basic premise stuff is fair game. Either that or talk to the mods to see if this is something that can change.

I would also be happy to explain how basic details can actually give me a really good idea of whether or not a specific bit of media can cause me issues. I think it's well outside the scope of this thread so I would rather do it in PMs.

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Smurph wrote: »
    Aw man, Travelers has been cancelled.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/02/netflix-cancels-travelers-proving-that-our-timeline-has-been-abandoned/

I think I have 1 or 2 episodes left. Gonna be sad finishing those now. I really liked that cast and world.

Fuck this noise ! Haven't watched season 3 yet but I move this show. Gonna be sad watching it now

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Kingdom is good

I watched it all today

Everybody go watch it

(Subs not dubs)

It's a weird one, sub/dub-wise. The dub is very fluid and well acted and written, and the subtitles are pretty bare bones and awkward.

Phillishere on
  • lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    "He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »

An interesting read. The TLDR is that the person in question thinks that Netflix can't justify it's current share price with subscribers alone and needs to find some way to monetize their content creation, especially with looming issues of competition and said competition pulling it's content from the service.

Though it's forbes/sites so it's a blog post.

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »

I cannot take seriously anyone who sees fortnite as a Netflix competitor

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
    Oh my gosh.

There's a Nailed It! Mexico!!!

Has anyone tried it yet? Is it glorious?

Steam profile
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Because you watched The West Wing, try Avengers Infinity War

Huh.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Because you watched The West Wing, try Avengers Infinity War

Huh.

I mean, i see it

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Valentines Bonus Episode of Big Mouth is up.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    kime wrote: »
    Oh my gosh.

Reviews say if you like the original, hammy host and all, it’s more of the same

kime wrote: »
    Oh my gosh.

Reviews say if you like the original, hammy host and all, it’s more of the same

Excellent

Steam profile
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Kingdom is good

I watched it all today

Everybody go watch it

(Subs not dubs)

The season ending is just *chef kiss*

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Ray Romano's new Netflix special is pretty good, him doing 20 minute sets at the two Comedy Cellars, similar to Seinfeld's special but without the docu-bio thing. Romano's stand up was always a bit raunchier than his show would lead you to believe but never outright blue and most of his jokes are about getting older and usual being married having kid jokes but they are chuckle worthy (him mom coming out of surgery and saying one of the sons name four times and leaving out the other two, seeing a mom yell at a kid in a store and then feeling the need to help the mom yell at the kid, etc). I'd say the second crowd is more receptive but it could also be being a bit more lenient with the star power than the first set at the original Comedy Cellar.

But in all a nice "listen to while doing your taxes" background viewing.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Last week I got the category Critically Acclaimed

First movie on the list was Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    @Evil Multifarious I watched the first three episodes of Russian Doll, got impatient, and skipped forward to the last 10 minutes of the final episode

I liked the final 10 minutes

Edit: alright the ending intrigued me so I watched it all the way through. Series of the year so far.

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    @Evil Multifarious I watched the first three episodes of Russian Doll, got impatient, and skipped forward to the last 10 minutes of the final episode

I liked the final 10 minutes

Edit: alright the ending intrigued me so I watched it all the way through. Series of the year so far.

Why are you like this

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Russian Doll was one of those stories where you don't really know exactly how it's going to end, but then it does, and you realize it was the perfect ending.

I know Lyonne really only has one character, but it's such a fun character to watch that I really don't mind.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Some thoughts about Russian Doll
    I marveled at how expertly crafted and purposeful everything felt. The set dressing was just... a perfect reflection (heh) of what the writers had in mind. Every little detail, from the set to the characters to how they related to their surroundings just felt so smart and thought-out and considered. The timelines progressed in a very internally consistent sense, and I think that helped mentally/emotionally set up the surreal ending, that feeling of "oh of course" that felt earned, even though it was so strange and so perfect. Giant shades of The Black Parade aesthetic / day of the dead overtones in the ending which made me adore it even more. A great final summation of the themes it was trying to get across.

Obviously there were the standard things like messy/clean, warm/cold colors, etc to signify how the two leads viewed their unbalanced selves and found salvation in each other blah blah blah, but I loved the use of mirrors being this multi-purpose concept of (1) a constant reminder to Nadia of her mother, eventually expelled in a very literal sense; (2) a symbol of alternate realities/timelines/selves; (3) the use of mirrors and reflective surfaces (door panes, fish bowls, etc) as these sorts of fragile, cheap shells behind which to hide painful truths. An interesting little thing is that Lyonne's character is super, super sharp (in all the definitions of that word), which may be a little unintentional nod to how she carries around all these broken shards around (it's probably intentional). Just, so so so well thought-out.

Non-spoiler things: the music was hella on point.

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
    Russian Doll was similar to The Favourite to me, in that it wasn't necessarily my favorite (ha) thing of the year, but it was one of the things I most respected because of how expertly everything was put together.

One little detail I loved:
    In the final timeline, Alan and Nadia are wearing the same outfit to start, but the plot has them adopt minor wardrobe changes (Alan's scarf, Nadia's shirt change) so it's always clear who you're watching as it skips between realities. It's handled very subtly, but it's a smart solution handled perfectly, and exemplifies the thought that went into every minute of this show.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • DedmanWalkinDedmanWalkin Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Russian Doll was similar to The Favourite to me, in that it wasn't necessarily my favorite (ha) thing of the year, but it was one of the things I most respected because of how expertly everything was put together.

In the final timeline, Alan and Nadia are wearing the same outfit to start, but the plot has them adopt minor wardrobe changes (Alan's scarf, Nadia's shirt change) so it's always clear who you're watching as it skips between realities. It's handled very subtly, but it's a smart solution handled perfectly, and exemplifies the thought that went into every minute of this show.
    I believe that when they pass the parade, the Alans and Nadias merge and the clothing from each timeline appears to merge as well.

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019

I believe that when they pass the parade, the Alans and Nadias merge and the clothing from each timeline appears to merge as well.

On that note (Russian Doll),
    this is a pretty good piece: https://www.vulture.com/2019/02/russian-doll-has-no-easy-answers.html

Especially towards the end, when he's talking about what he noticed when watching the final episode a second time and paying extra attention to the outfits.

Ketar on
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    god damn F is For Family is brilliant.

• thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Finally getting around to trying to watch The Punisher Season 2. This is hard to get through.

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Nightfliers is kind of compelling in that I pretty much watched it back to back, but the
    medias res opening (rightly mocked in Rick and Morty as a bad thing to do) undercuts a lot of what is happening with at least two of the characters. It's got too many sci-fi-horror tropes going on, evil AI, psychotic characters, all powerful alien entity with time/space/dimension hopping, a secretly cyborg captain, space cannibals, eugenics, body swapping. The probe is gone for millenia and comes back filled with never-dying flesh and viscera.

A good chunk of the first few episodes is spent on Thale drama and he's not even really that important to the actual arrival of the alien. I know the alien appears to be the destination and not the journey itself, but they didn't really do much on the journey, and it would have gone seemingly perfectly well HAD they not been given the ship with the pre-loaded evil AI, and it's never really explained why she is so against meeting an alien, she just automatically assumes it is going to infect them. Maybe she does have some purity issues going on especially with DNA.

There's a whole subplot about crew who are addicted to dying in Thale's projections which is dropped, kinda like the female crew member arbitrarily dropped by Rowan, who for his sins is then allowed to roam free and even shakes hands with the lover of the woman he was trying to axe murder.
    I liked the idea, but it leaves a lot to be desired and outside of Mel, there's noone really to like.

Started watching breaking bad for the first time and wow this show just hits all cylinders from the very beginning.

• VikingViking Registered User regular
    @AlphaRomero
    that is pretty much my thoughts on that series too, its like they wrote key scenes and then struggled to find ways to get from one to the next naturally. as a result much of it just feels like ticking off boxes in a Space horror checklist.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
    Started watching breaking bad for the first time and wow this show just hits all cylinders from the very beginning.

There are not many shows that start amazing and then just stay amazing from beginning to end, but Breaking Bad is one of them. The Wire is another. Maybe The Americans? Some people found season 5 a little slow and weird, but I dug it.

But yeah, BB is just 40 hours or whatever of fanfuckingtastic.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Anthony Hopkins wrote Cranston a letter complimenting his acting after the series finale.

Called it the best acting he's ever seen.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular

There are not many shows that start amazing and then just stay amazing from beginning to end, but Breaking Bad is one of them. The Wire is another. Maybe The Americans? Some people found season 5 a little slow and weird, but I dug it.

Definitely The Americans. Also Justified as well, IMO, though it's arguable the first season is weak. Ten-episode cable dramas that end themselves gracefully after 5-6 seasons tend to fare well.

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Justified stays good throughout, but it definitely has seasons that drop noticeably in quality from the really amazing ones.

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Oh and somehow I was living under a rock or something and had never heard of this Fyre Festival thing. So that was a fun watch. Went ahead and watched both while on boring work-from-home snow days, it was pretty interesting to see the subtle (or perhaps not subtle at all) differences between the two docs.

My only beef so far is a lot of season two seems to be a cycle of, something happens, but Saul knows a guy. Deus ex Saul, maybe?

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »

On that note (Russian Doll),
    this is a pretty good piece: https://www.vulture.com/2019/02/russian-doll-has-no-easy-answers.html

Especially towards the end, when he's talking about what he noticed when watching the final episode a second time and paying extra attention to the outfits.

One question about the finale.
    is Oatmeal still missing in one of the timelines?

steam_sig.png
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I didn't think I had a reason to resubscribe to Prime until Good Omens was aired

Forgot American Gods was still going

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
This discussion has been closed.