As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Division 2] Launching in March! Beta has started.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Played some more. I got downed trying to take a control point, requested help, got grouped with someone and we took it. Then I ran around a bit before taking on the second mission, which I tried out actual mission matchmaking rather than solo. Did the mission with 4 people, which was a real change since I've been doing the first game solo. Not much time to stop and look around when everyone is rushing forward, but it was a lot more fun with other people. I'm guessing it felt so hectic because that mission is all corridors.

Got to the end game content but I've got to stop and go out. So far I'm really liking this, especially the coop when there's actually people around. I like that there's a whole section for joining called 'Answer the call' so anyone can go help from anywhere. Guessing it means you'll manage to get grouped more often.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    every bit of the christmas theming that's still around makes me just wish it was still winter.

puffy coats for everyone.

the rest of the game seems cool so far though.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I thought the Christmas theme stuff being around was a cool touch. It's not like people have time to take decorations down during such an event.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yeah I liked the christmas stuff around, it highlights the virus spread that fast to the rest of the country. Also some of the audio recordings/echos show people were still thinking things would get better.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    I just finished the "high end" event, was pretty fun in a group of 4. One guy and I were basically carrying the team though. I grabbed the sniper and it melts elites but I got like 6 total shots the entire mission. Also the zoom on it is pretty ridiculous. Word of advice, swap out the SMG for the assault rifle, remove the scope for something that improves stability and add the extended mag. That baby did work whenever stuff was too close for the marksman rifle.

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    The friend invite thing for this beta is really frustrating.

I preordered the game, at first struggled to find where I could even send a friend invite (it wasn't showing up in the beta page at all). I found a link, after like an hour of searching, that allowed me to send an invite. Sent invite, friend accepted, he downloaded game. that was last night. It was too late for him to try playing.

This morning I get an ubisoft email "Welcome to the beta!", the friend invite section actually shows up on the beta website for me. My friend tried to play the game and got some kind of an error "beta key invalid". He shows up on my friend list as "Already Invited", not allowing me to send another invite.

We ask ubisoft for help, they answer "wait a while and it should work".

We don't have that much free time.... today is the day we have to play, ubisoft....

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I thought the Christmas theme stuff being around was a cool touch. It's not like people have time to take decorations down during such an event.

They should have taken it all down. It's been seven months. THIS IS A PRIORITY.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    -Loki- wrote: »

They should have taken it all down. It's been seven months. THIS IS A PRIORITY.

You just know one of the guys who survived the flu is all "I think christmas stuff should be up year round."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Hit the level cap and finished most of the side stuff up. Still need to do the DZ, maybe tomorrow if I can find someone to group up with. I don't have much desire for straight up pvp.

Yeah if memory servers from division 1 beta, the dark zone was like the release dark zone on asshole steroids.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited February 2019
    I would love to play the beta more but I have to do at least one run of survival*

Also, the Black Tusk red bars being hardy sounds like it's on par with just starting out on Legendary difficulty missions.

ediT: *first

edit: also, Survival is garbage.

tastydonuts on
    Oh, anyone that's been playing Div1 for a long time willing to help me out in earning some of these shields?

I truly hope if they bring this garbage ass mode back they won't sandbag the achievement list with garbage like extract 100 items. >\

Yeah I'd prefer extract 1000 items that equals the commitment more.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited February 2019
    Dicked around a bit after the second mission, and the world seems much better populated now, with more involved random events around to do. After unlocking some perks, I went out of the White House and saw a question mark. Made my way over and hey, a public execution. Now that won't do, so I killed the executioner and started on the ther goons, and the guys being executed actually got up and helped. That was nice, usually rescued NPCs leg it. Also took a supply camp, which was meatier than any random events I've done in the first game. I've had a lot of fights escalate as enemy and friendly patrols wander over to help out, making just normal street fights with goons more exciting and even dangerous.

Got myself a sniper rifle, and seems they're a lot punchier now. Really happy with how this one is shaping up. I'll probably pre order this for the early start.

The only visual thing I'm not keen on is the green haze around what appear to be paint or chemical deposits. I get what they're going for but the garish green feels really out of place.

The Replenisher drone feels like it's going to be hard to balance. As it is, I don't see a reason to not leave it as a permanent slot. It replenishes armour so fast that in a sustained firefight you'd be stupid to leave it behind. I've effectively only got 1 skill slot. But make it too slow or take too long between charges and I could easily see it become useless.

-Loki- on
    edited February 2019
    Preacher wrote: »

And I hope that you're this guy every match of survival you play. <3<3<3

https://youtu.be/oevpXOz5qw0

PS: Total number of hunters killed so far for the shield: 0. Yet my hunter has been defeated. >\

tastydonuts on
  • DalantiaDalantia Registered User regular
    I expect that the other armor-restorers will be AE, so they'll have their own niche. Personal armor restoration is good for longer firefights, yes, but the explosive grenade deleting red bars and taking big chunks out of other enemies was pretty helpful to me, as was the suppression of the assault turret.

steam_sig.png
    DS Friend code: 3840-6605-3406
    Man the gunplay gets better quickly. At level 6, got a police issue M16, added a muzzle brake, foregrip and laser sight, and suddenly I'm not spraying bullets like the rifle is a shotgun like the first one you have.

And I hope that you're this guy every match of survival you play. <3<3<3

https://youtu.be/oevpXOz5qw0

PS: Total number of hunters killed so far for the shield: 0. Yet my hunter has been defeated. >\

You have to get the kill shot on the hunter for it to count. So if there are other people around they could be screwing you.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    oh, I know. it's just the game trying to agitate me further.

edited February 2019
    I've actually been kind of unimpressed with the guns and mods in the division 2. Like rifles seem to exist as a class to do neither the job of an ar nor a true marksman rifles, and most of the not zoomed scopes like kill your critical hit damage without giving a good enough boost beyond that.

Skills have proven kind of garbo what they let us use. The sniper turret in theory is a neat idea but in practice means something you'll forget to use, especially compared to the assault which does less damage per shot but more overall damage because it just does its thing on its own. Same with the air burst seeker which seems to miss at least half the time when I use it, if I can get it to point at enemies in the first place as its range seems super limited. bomber drone was equally as obnoxious between low roofs just destroying it, and on console the targeting seeming super hit or miss

Its the beta so I assume release will have better stuff, but early on not super impressed. The guns themselves are fairly samey, much like div 1 could be. Shotguns feel better now, but its probably just because we're playing early game where shotguns had a use outside of that one exotic who's name escapes me.

Enemies also tend to blend into the environment/lighting makes them hard to see. I think half my deaths have come from an enemy I never really saw.

I've had multiple sound bugs, enemy glitching, and other annoyances that came over from Div 1 that I'm not super happy to see in the sequel either

I also find myself annoyed they've patched the beta at least twice this period and taken the servers down twice. For a paid private beta it irks. True its late at night, but that's also when I find I can actually play on top of the disconnect issues they had on thursday "its a beta" yeah yeah that you had to pay or have someone who paid invite you into.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • NumiNumi Registered User regular
    We ran the max level mission on both normal and hard, normal felt decently tuned but on hard it was bulletspongy as hell. Now a lot of this might be due to the premade builds but if this is going to be the norm then they really need to add some sort of increased damage taken modifier for enemies that are out of cover because in some sections the enemies would just shrug off everything as they ran up to people and dropped them.

I agree with Preacher on the mods, their downsides are far to punishing for hardcoded stuff but hopefully there are going to upgraded versions of them at some point. The semi-auto rifles I can sort of dig but that is mostly because I hate how the marksman rifles will drop out of the zoom as part of the reload animation which is just dumb.

The weather stuff is great and I hope they fiddle with it so we get less of the sunshine set and more of the fog and rain because imo the game looks and feels better with the overcast sky. The game feels insufficiently grimdark at the moment.

• squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular
    Honestly I'm finding myself more bugged than I thought I would be about some things. I've never been a fan of having to take a control point in a game, feed it supplies, then keep feeding it supplies or I have to recapture it. That's just not a gameplay loop I enjoy and it makes traversing through areas of the map a pain in the ass later on if you don't keep stuff capture unless you just fast travel as much as possible.

I find it really hard to see where enemies are shooting me from in the game since their health bars don't appear unless you have them targeted. I get that this is to probably make pulse more useful - but it really feels more like a quality of life thing to me. Also we don't have access to pulse in the beta so...

And so far I don't feel like, at least in the slice of the beta, they have done any interesting with the more wide open areas and wider streets etc. that D.C. offers to make them feel like a good substitute for the naturally claustrophobic canyons that most buildings in NY made. Along with the desolate winter time vibe.

Gun mods are unlocks now - but too restrictive on most stats to want to use - although they have said that they are looking at fixing that. But according to the in game tool tip you still have to find mods in the form of parts for your abilities to make them better/do extra stuff. So juggling a bunch of mods is still there just not for the guns.

Haven't played the endgame mission yet - but hearing reports of the sponginess of enemies tells me that the changes to TTK probably aren't going to carry over to endgame activities but so much. Sure they have increased tactics but turning that TTK knob is still a go to.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
    I like the manual targeting of skills. Setting a turret to watch a flank, then manually target a flanker, gives you some nice breathing room to get to work. Also being able to tella Seeker to target that one guy you actually want to hit rather than hoping it guesses right is really nice.

I was hoping they'd let us use the Hive, which was the new skill I was interested in. Videos of it looks super cool.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Croaker wrote: »
    The endgame content is up for testing now. I ran one as the survivalist and wasn't in love with the crossbow. The aiming was very wonky and it didn't seem to do much damage.

Welp, now I need to find the pinkest shirt imaginable and make myself a Jensen:

https://youtu.be/clOF0kyqG1o

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    squall99x wrote: »
    Honestly I'm finding myself more bugged than I thought I would be about some things. I've never been a fan of having to take a control point in a game, feed it supplies, then keep feeding it supplies or I have to recapture it. That's just not a gameplay loop I enjoy and it makes traversing through areas of the map a pain in the ass later on if you don't keep stuff capture unless you just fast travel as much as possible.

I find it really hard to see where enemies are shooting me from in the game since their health bars don't appear unless you have them targeted. I get that this is to probably make pulse more useful - but it really feels more like a quality of life thing to me. Also we don't have access to pulse in the beta so...

And so far I don't feel like, at least in the slice of the beta, they have done any interesting with the more wide open areas and wider streets etc. that D.C. offers to make them feel like a good substitute for the naturally claustrophobic canyons that most buildings in NY made. Along with the desolate winter time vibe.

Gun mods are unlocks now - but too restrictive on most stats to want to use - although they have said that they are looking at fixing that. But according to the in game tool tip you still have to find mods in the form of parts for your abilities to make them better/do extra stuff. So juggling a bunch of mods is still there just not for the guns.

Haven't played the endgame mission yet - but hearing reports of the sponginess of enemies tells me that the changes to TTK probably aren't going to carry over to endgame activities but so much. Sure they have increased tactics but turning that TTK knob is still a go to.

Yeah the bullet spongeyness was something marco was worried about and I didn't see anything in the end game slice we get that dissuades me from it being an issue. He also said that TTK was lower in div 1 up until end game as well.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular
    squall99x wrote: »

Yeah the bullet spongeyness was something marco was worried about and I didn't see anything in the end game slice we get that dissuades me from it being an issue. He also said that TTK was lower in div 1 up until end game as well.

It was - and they adjusted it even more as it went along - but even not being at endgame in Div1 when it launched the enemies still took far more bullets to down than red and purple bars do now. I honestly haven't noticed much of a difference in the yellows - they feel about the same - which is where I was hoping it would lower a bit. I feel like they balance yellows around you being able to kill them quickly if you destroy their weak point. The problem is on console hitting some of those weak points consistently enough to make it happen is a pain in the ass. A controller just doesn't have the same precision a mouse does when it comes to targeting specific location on a body. Especially when it is a random spot on a belt or a leg pouch or some other such shenanigans.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
    edited February 2019
    The worst thing about this game, hands down:
    You still have to say "Tom Clancy's The Division ..." to use verbal commands... and you have to say "Tom Clancy's The Division 2 BETA" to launch it.

:|

edit: that aside, on the character select screen, stats specific to each gearslot are shown if you use the right stick to explore the equipped gear.

edit: also looting crayons.

tastydonuts on
    yay, another survival clear, another donut for hunter kills. I guess he ran off on his own? IDK. I surely didn't kill him... because skill was healbox spam... plus the hunter staple first aid. edged out of the burst kill every time. :-1:

Can't win for losing with this stupid shield. this mode. seriously.

If the helicopter lands after the hunter vanishes and you wait it out, will it come back to fight?

Ran into a strange sound error in the beta too, where the sounds of gunfire simply followed me everywhere except for when I shot my gun.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    wait survival and the hunter are in beta?

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Well played the max level mission, I don't think it was that spongy really, aside from the bigdogs, but I suspect there's a catch I was missing there. Took the crossbow class, but changed some of the weapons out, running with an AK and a SRS seemed to work well, the turret is fantastic for shooting drones down, but they aren't that bad if it's not up either.
    I did almost get caught out by the timer in the basement, *just* got there and hit the button.

Found a sweet pair of shades and a purple assault rifle for my low level character, so she's kicking all kinds of ass.

Overall I am pretty pleased with the changes made, it's definitely more Divison and that's a good thing in my book. Just need to make sure to get the cosmetics unlocked, but that seems to be a bit wonky at the mo.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    you get something post-release if you play through and do the end game content in the beta, right? I haven't splurged on it since I want to leave it for the real game.

An arm patch and a weapon skin. One is for participation, one for doing the endgame mission.

steam_sig.png
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Also the redemption page suggests a tshirt as well, but I'm not 100% certain on that.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    Dalantia wrote: »
    An arm patch and a weapon skin. One is for participation, one for doing the endgame mission.

Is the endgame mission just the second mission you played, but invaded?

Yes. Black Tusk enemies and new dialogue.

steam_sig.png
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    How the fuck do you invite people to your game? I go to the Social tab, but I can't scroll over to the friends list, and there is no invite button I can find.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    Played the Invaded mission, used Sharpshooter. Took the earlier advice to swap out the SMG for the AR and take the 12x scope off. I really liked that class. It's where I like to be in an engagement - towards the back, using longer range rifles to pick off guys breaking for cover. The AR was nice for when you get caught off guard and needed to relocate, or contribute to a shorter range fight. The .50 cal sniper rifle has some real kick, though I never managed to work the angles to hit multiple enemies.

I've been getting an odd sound bug, seems to be whenever an RC bomb is near me I get this weird staticy, gurgly sound blast. At first I thought it was my PC, but I went and played another game for a while and didn't get it.

On the one hand, the scope thing is annoying.

On the other, I just used a 15x scope most of the time for the stats without ever actually using a 15x scope... so I can see why they did it.

• KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    So I played a bit this weekend, including doing the endgame mission as the Sharpshooter specialization and I think if you're looking for just "more Division" it's perfectly fine. They're certainly not trying to do anything new or different, the changes feel pretty superficial which is a pro or con depending on your outlook. I also don't know if I like signature weapons replacing signature skills. The sniper rifle just didn't do a whole lot for me. Initially when I loaded it up the gunplay felt weird, I think this is just a case of being used to some other games more recently so I even loaded up Division 1 to see if it felt similar. It did so I can't really knock it too much for that but it honestly feels like most guns just don't give enough feedback. Not the end of the world, I guess. It's fun in that I like sliding from cover to cover but there were also a few moments where it didn't quite behave how I'd expect and I got stuck like trying to get in or out of cover and died, which was frustrating.

I played a lot of Division 1 when it first launched and really enjoyed it, but I just have a hard time getting excited about "Division, again!" especially since the setting isn't all that exciting to me. I might pick it up eventually but between it not really doing anything special for me that I couldn't already do by loading up Division 1 again and the release timing it's probably gonna get a pass. If you didn't play Division 1 at all it's still definitely a fun game.