As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Thread Bombed From Orbit [Closed]

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    The problem will be trying to skill them up in QP, where you're going to find your ass getting chewed off by the 20 ton backstabber de jour while the rest of your team ran off to chase the tail of the other group.

Yeah, the meta doesn't really support static firing lines much right now, especially with how strong lights as a weight class have become. However, the normal old Rifleman seems to do pretty great in QP already, so a slightly slower (2 variants), but better equipped and armored version should still be a force? The 48 kph ones though....that's gonna be tough to keep protected.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    In battletech the king crab has better hardpoints than the Atlas. They have better locations (arm mounted ballistics for aiming bones with you heaviest weapons and can use two big ones, as well as more missile hardpoints for maximum SRM spam if you want that).
    But it's still a case where if you have to pick between an Atlas and any other mech that isn't a 100tonner or a Starleague highlander you should probably pick the Atlas.

Both the King Crab and the Atlas 7D have the same useful tonnage, so it's just down to hardpoint placement and the fact that the King Crab can mount 2 more missiles and 2 more support weapons.

For firepower, the King Crab is better. The Atlas can better protect its weapons if you care about that (I find the arms are moderately exposed).

They're both the best damned (edit: readily attainable) mechs in the game.

Yeah. I think any post-campaign lance is going to be:
    Story Highlander
    Story Atlas II
    King Crab
    Atlas I

If you do career mode, you have a little more variation.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I didn't get rid of my Highlander IIB until I had got my hands on a third Atlas-7D (I didn't buy Flashpoint until recently, so no nice King Crabs for me at the time).

On the other hand, the flashpoints have granted me 2/3s of a second Highlander IIB, which would be awesome! Unfortunately I seem to be out of Flashpoints unless I ally with a faction...and I kinda don't want to do that...

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    The problem will be trying to skill them up in QP, where you're going to find your ass getting chewed off by the 20 ton backstabber de jour while the rest of your team ran off to chase the tail of the other group.

Yeah, the meta doesn't really support static firing lines much right now, especially with how strong lights as a weight class have become. However, the normal old Rifleman seems to do pretty great in QP already, so a slightly slower (2 variants), but better equipped and armored version should still be a force? The 48 kph ones though....that's gonna be tough to keep protected.

Yeah I think the -2 (the all ballistic one) and the -A (with torso energy hard points) will do fine because of their faster engines.

The rest are all going to have a really hard time unless they have some excellent coordination going on.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    @Betsuni @Styrofoam Sammich

It's Thursday. We Oosik bashing tonight or are we going to be occupied with other games (such as a beta for some under-the-radar cover-shooter set in Washington D.C. or something)?

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Yeah, I didn't get rid of my Highlander IIB until I had got my hands on a third Atlas-7D (I didn't buy Flashpoint until recently, so no nice King Crabs for me at the time).

On the other hand, the flashpoints have granted me 2/3s of a second Highlander IIB, which would be awesome! Unfortunately I seem to be out of Flashpoints unless I ally with a faction...and I kinda don't want to do that...

I was able to purchase a complete 732B Highlander from some black market store, including all its juicy lostech. Of course it cost like $25 million, but it is pretty nice having two.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular

I was able to purchase a complete 732B Highlander from some black market store, including all its juicy lostech. Of course it cost like $25 million, but it is pretty nice having two.

I got this opportunity in my first career. Had to do all available missions for max cash and sell damn near all company inventory to come up with the scratch.

Totally worth it, obv.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Betsuni "Styrofoam Sammich"

It's Thursday. We Oosik bashing tonight or are we going to be occupied with other games (such as a beta for some under-the-radar cover-shooter set in Washington D.C. or something)?

Yeah sorry I haven't been on lately. I'm going to try to be on, but won't know for certain till it gets closer to drop time. Will post here if I'm on or not.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    Not that I drop with yall, but power has been out since yesterday morning. Ran an extension cord to my neighbor on another street to keep the sump pump working, but her power went out a few hours ago. Hopefully my battery backup keeps the water in the basement away from my computer.

• Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    In battletech the king crab has better hardpoints than the Atlas. They have better locations (arm mounted ballistics for aiming bones with you heaviest weapons and can use two big ones, as well as more missile hardpoints for maximum SRM spam if you want that).
    But it's still a case where if you have to pick between an Atlas and any other mech that isn't a 100tonner or a Starleague highlander you should probably pick the Atlas.

Both the King Crab and the Atlas 7D have the same useful tonnage, so it's just down to hardpoint placement and the fact that the King Crab can mount 2 more missiles and 2 more support weapons.

For firepower, the King Crab is better. The Atlas can better protect its weapons if you care about that (I find the arms are moderately exposed).

Story Highlander
    Story Atlas II
    King Crab
    Atlas I

I run a Cyclops Q instead of an Atlas I. The Battle Computer buff is just too good. Its hardpoints are sort of goofy and its default loadout is pretty stupid, but... it can be reconfigured into a 4 (or 5, with some double heat sinks) LL sniper. And honestly, the backfield is where it needs to be, because the AI prioritizes it as a target. I ran it as an ML/SRM brawler for a while, and AI just constantly dog-piled it.

• Options
    monkeykins wrote: »
    Not that I drop with yall, but power has been out since yesterday morning. Ran an extension cord to my neighbor on another street to keep the sump pump working, but her power went out a few hours ago. Hopefully my battery backup keeps the water in the basement away from my computer.

Oh man that sucks! Hope the power comes back online soon for you.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    According to my wife, reactor is online, all systems nominal (not her exact words).
    I think I've mentioned this already, but hearing those words and that voice is such a great nostalgia trip for me the rest of the game could be awful and I'd still be happy with the $25 or so I've spent on MWO.

monkeykins on
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    htm wrote: »
    a5ehren wrote: »

Story Highlander
    Story Atlas II
    King Crab
    Atlas I

I run a Cyclops Q instead of an Atlas I. The Battle Computer buff is just too good. Its hardpoints are sort of goofy and its default loadout is pretty stupid, but... it can be reconfigured into a 4 (or 5, with some double heat sinks) LL sniper. And honestly, the backfield is where it needs to be, because the AI prioritizes it as a target. I ran it as an ML/SRM brawler for a while, and AI just constantly dog-piled it.

-Z variant is the one with a battle computer. -Q is the base version.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Supply cache and cbill event right now that seems well suited to those of us with the meepmeep warhorn.

• Options
    @Erlkönig Patching now and soon to be in the cockpit again.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    I'm on the testing server with Chris Lowery right now. Send him a friend invite if you want in.

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    I'm on the testing server with Chris Lowery right now. Send him a friend invite if you want in.

Lowrey*

Can't edit my post for some reason.

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    Interest mix of matches tonight. But one thing's for sure, it felt good being back in the mech cockpit (mechpit?) again! Fun games tonight!

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Yep. Was good to be back in the saddle/cockpit once again. Sad that all of my skills have gone to window licker level.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Ack! The edit button's gone away and I can't fix the misspelling in my post. Meant to say it was an interesting night. Weird mix of coordinated LRMs one match, all the dakka the next, and everything in between. Highlight for me was bringing in my ATM-centric build that couldn't land a single kill with the ATMs...but the backup LPLs+MPL drilled out all the CTs.

Also, starting the night with a 724 damage match in a triple-LB10X Night Gyr was the right way to start. I am one with the dakka, the dakka is with me!

• Options
    I still can't believe my 5xERLL BLR-1G worked out so well on Terra Therma.

• Options
    Nobody wrote: »
    I still can't believe my 5xERLL BLR-1G worked out so well on Terra Therma.

That was awesome. Watching those lasers fly over my head.

I would have lived but got greedy and tried to get the last guy in my almost cored Flea.
    Ack! The edit button's gone away and I can't fix the misspelling in my post. Meant to say it was an interesting night. Weird mix of coordinated LRMs one match, all the dakka the next, and everything in between. Highlight for me was bringing in my ATM-centric build that couldn't land a single kill with the ATMs...but the backup LPLs+MPL drilled out all the CTs.

Also, starting the night with a 724 damage match in a triple-LB10X Night Gyr was the right way to start. I am one with the dakka, the dakka is with me!

Yeah my ATM moment failed miserably being out of position most of the map and having an annoying Locust shoot me in the back. Then my Cyclops on Polar getting LRMed to death with another Locust spotting. Ended with another terrible positioning with my Arctic Cheetah on Frozen trying to stay in the circle.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    AlexandierAlexandier Registered User regular
    A friend gifted me the KGC-KJ. im using Baradul's UAC20/6ERSL/2xLRM15 build and just not getting maps conducive to fighting in the 300m range. Missile spam for days on my crabby face.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Just slapped this Kaiju together. Yes, it ignores the missile hardpoints, and it downgrades the UAC20 to a pair of RAC5s, and increases the ERSLs up to MPLs. Then again, I'm a sucker for RACs and wubs. You'll be increasing your face time, that's for sure. But the idea is to drill through the baddies with constant DPS.

https://mech.nav-alpha.com/#7ac228ad_KGC-KJ

Erlkönig on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    How dare you call a rac a downgrade

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    How dare you call a rac a downgrade

I initially had typed out "downgrades bore size."

Now, if they ever implement RAC20s......

• Options
    AlexandierAlexandier Registered User regular
    I really like the RAC2 on my raven with 2MLs.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Hows this counter ecm damage thing work for the event? I'm hitting guys with streaks while in range of an ecm set to counter.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Turns out basically anything that messes with ECM except another ECM works.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Clan assaults typically don't use the armor skill tree right? I've been looking up what'd be required on my KDK-3(C) and just about every tree I've come across skips those skills entirely. Which, given the sheer size and slow speed of the thing...

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    I would not skimp on the armor tree in a Kodiak. While mobile you're not agile enough to shoot&scoot so being able to take returnfire will pay off quite a bit. Especially since armorsharing is a part of your job as an assault.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    Clan assaults typically don't use the armor skill tree right? I've been looking up what'd be required on my KDK-3(C) and just about every tree I've come across skips those skills entirely. Which, given the sheer size and slow speed of the thing...

And this is why I don't look up builds and/or tree guides.

With the Kodiak-3, I have a very simple layout:

Firepower tree: only enough to grab magazine capacity
    Survival tree: everything but AMS overload
    Manueverability: torso yaw, pitch, speed and anchor turn
    Sensors: just enough for 60% radar derp
    Operations: bee-line for all the improved gyros

Now, the reason for this scattershot approach to skills is pretty simple. This is my troll Kodiak build. Behold! Trolliak!

Seriously, I only made that thing because I was certain it was going to be a terribad build. I've been proven wrong several times.

• Options
    Thanks!

Based on the manuverability tree and operations, I'd be looking at something like this then for a 2xUAC/5, 2xUAC/10 build?

https://kitlaan.gitlab.io/mwoskill/?p=jsonbin1.5c5e72f54c4430170a9f23c5#s=Weapons

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Thanks!

Based on the manuverability tree and operations, I'd be looking at something like this then for a 2xUAC/5, 2xUAC/10 build?

https://kitlaan.gitlab.io/mwoskill/?p=jsonbin1.5c5e72f54c4430170a9f23c5#s=Weapons

Now, the reason I skimped on Ops is because quad-gauss generates negligible heat. With those Ultras, you're going to want to transition some points to get max Cool Run.

Something like this might work: https://kitlaan.gitlab.io/mwoskill/?p=jsonbin1.5c5e74cf4c4430170a9f24f6#s=Weapons

(short version: sacrificing the right side of the Maneuverability tree and trimming some of the isolated branches in Survivability)

EDIT - that said, there is a school of thought that says that since you're in a slow assault mech who's going to be leading the charge, Radar Deprivation is going to be less useful. So, if you subscribe to that, you can strip down the Sensors tree to move those points into Ops instead of scrounging them from skeletal density and the Maneuverability tree

Erlkönig on
  • Options
    Thanks!

Now, the reason I skimped on Ops is because quad-gauss generates negligible heat. With those Ultras, you're going to want to transition some points to get max Cool Run.

Something like this might work: https://kitlaan.gitlab.io/mwoskill/?p=jsonbin1.5c5e74cf4c4430170a9f24f6#s=Weapons

(short version: sacrificing the right side of the Maneuverability tree and trimming some of the isolated branches in Survivability)

Awesome, thank you!

• Options
    Thanks!

Awesome, thank you!

Don't forget to check the edit. It's going to be difficult to maximize the utility of the radar deprivation skills since you're puttering along at 48kph (not impossible, mind you...but difficult).

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Right now I have the armor tree fully filled out, so I'm probably going to work off the idea that I won't have radar derp.

In that case, it'd give me enough points to fill out the armor tree and pick up the last torso speed node.

EDIT: Speed on my build is just over 60kph, so it's not blazingly fast but not terrible.

Nobody on
  • Options
    Honestly don't think I skip survival on any chassis

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    especially with the operations tree not really working properly, there's too many available points not to put at least a dozen or so there eventually

maybe like, on ecm/sneaky lights you could potentially wind up with too few points but probably not

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular

And this is why I don't look up builds and/or tree guides.

With the Kodiak-3, I have a very simple layout:

Firepower tree: only enough to grab magazine capacity
    Survival tree: everything but AMS overload
    Manueverability: torso yaw, pitch, speed and anchor turn
    Sensors: just enough for 60% radar derp
    Operations: bee-line for all the improved gyros

Now, the reason for this scattershot approach to skills is pretty simple. This is my troll Kodiak build. Behold! Trolliak!

Seriously, I only made that thing because I was certain it was going to be a terribad build. I've been proven wrong several times.

While I generally agree with you (except that Trolliak build) I've found that unless you invest extremely heavily into agility the most important is torso yaw (because you're sharing "worst twist among assault mechs" with the Direwhale and Stalker 3H), the kinetic burst/hard break to improve acceleration and torso speed to get quicker aim (because your good stuff is in the torso).
    Because unless you fill out the entire tree it's not going to save you from a light.

This is what my 4xLBX10 (plus lasers) skill tree looks like.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden