As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    edzepp wrote: »
    RPG-wise I'm kind of excited to play Final fantasy 9 again. Wanna see how well it holds up.

Battle system is slower than you remember. Graphics look rough but are totally playable. Story slows midway through, but I like it throughout.

Honestly it's a pretty solid game still

Even back then I'm pretty sure I noticed that the battle system was a bit more leisurely.

Zunde wrote: »
    Has anyone tried out Feudal alloy or have any opinions on it?

it has fish controlling robots.

Now, is that fish controlling the robots or fish being controlled by robots? I suppose the latter would be 'fish-controlling robots'.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Cynical me feels like they aren't going to bother translating 3 and will just sell the first two.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I told myself I was going to wait on Starlink until the digital deluxe version went on deep sale, but Targets near clearance of the starter kits and ships is making me reconsider that decision.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    I told myself I was going to wait on Starlink until the digital deluxe version went on deep sale, but Targets near clearance of the starter kits and ships is making me reconsider that decision.

Man, I don't know what to tell you. To me the toys actively detract from the gameplay. They'd have to be something like 80-90% discounted for you to buy enough toys to get what all is in the digital edition, much less the digital deluxe edition. To say nothing of the tedium of needing to re-register the toys with the game every week to keep using them digitally. Which, IMHO as an adult with little interest in having a table full of toys splayed before me, is the only way to play.

I think as tempting as the toys may be, unless you explicitly want the toys, the digital edition is still the superior product and value.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I ended up picking up Guacamelee 2 and Dandara... Completely forgetting about Wagroove. Ah well next time!

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Okay at first I wasn't sure if I'd like Dandara... But wow is it fun. It's very relaxing too. Highly recommend it for it's price.

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Darksiders coming to switch is tempting but it's going to hit me in the Onimusha area where it's the first game in a series so like i don't want to get invested in a story i can't complete

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Death, taxes, and Direct rumors.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Ghosts n Goblins is even more bullshit than I remember. God this is an atrocious game.

Was the arcade original an improvement? Was this beloved for some unknown technical reason? Why the hell did this series persist even as long as it did?

Garbage. Pure unadulterated garbage.

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    I really like G&G’s music and atmosphere. That’s about all I like. It’s supposed to be one of those “satisfying once you learn it” kind of experiences but eff that. I want immediate satisfaction. I’m impatient like that.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Ghosts n Goblins is even more bullshit than I remember. God this is an atrocious game.

Was the arcade original an improvement? Was this beloved for some unknown technical reason? Why the hell did this series persist even as long as it did?

Ghouls and Ghosts is when it hit its stride. This is a bit like judging the Metroid series from Metroid.

• Options
    WaveformWaveform Registered User regular

Ghouls and Ghosts is when it hit its stride. This is a bit like judging the Metroid series from Metroid.

Super Ghouls and Ghosts on the SNES is a million times better than the NES game. I distinctly remember feeling like Super G&G was hard but fun and beatable back when I was a kid.

The original NES game though, yeah, it's bad. Real bad.

• Options
    The Direct is a king zell rumor so I have high hopes.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

My stance on Direct rumours is to not believe any of them, but I take it this King Zell person has been right before?

• Options

My stance on Direct rumours is to not believe any of them, but I take it this King Zell person has been right before?

One of the better batting averages in insider information. Based on Reddit, he teased Animal Crossing the day before it was revealed in the September 2018 Direct, got the indie showcase last month and the day of the Pokemon Let's Go reveal event.

A few misses of course (I think last year he predicted a N64 Mini would be revealed in December), but more consistent hits than most. For what it's worth, Resetera seems to take his word basically as gospel on these matters. Could be wrong of course, but slightly more reason to be optimistic.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Hrm. I tried to turn my wired desktop pc into a wifi hotspot so I could have internet on the Switch, which worked at first, but then a couple days later the console seems unable to connect to it. What a pain. Good thing I didn't get nintendo online too quickly, I guess.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Hrm. I tried to turn my wired desktop pc into a wifi hotspot so I could have internet on the Switch, which worked at first, but then a couple days later the console seems unable to connect to it. What a pain. Good thing I didn't get nintendo online too quickly, I guess.

If you're using windows 10, it will occasionally turn off hotspot if nothing is connected for a bit.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    So a new power adapter actually solved the issue of the power port on my Switch being finicky and dock not working.

Left joycon will still not register that it's attached, but oddly plugging in the charger with joycons attached suddenly fixes that, until it's detached again. I've tested with other joycons and it's definitely not the controller.

I've ordered a replacement side rail and will try replacing it. Looks fairly easy.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    ArcSyn wrote: »

If you're using windows 10, it will occasionally turn off hotspot if nothing is connected for a bit.

I'm still on 7 on this computer, actually. I know I should update, but that costs money and then there's all the old doujin shmups I have that probably will not work on 10 and will need me to set up a whole virtualbox thing, and then the whole format and reinstall everything that one should do when installing a new OS... and so laziness keeps winning out.

Also, I was looking at Starlink in the eShop and dang the price difference between the prices mentioned in this thread and the prices in Spain is stark. Basic digital edition is 80 euro (90 dollars), deluxe digital edition is 100 euro (114 dollars). That may be a touch too rich for my blood right now.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

A bunch of Infinity Engine classics coming to console.

Unfortunately, they haven't yet announced which consoles, but the Switch is known for getting ports of old games by now, so fingers crossed.

Holy shit that’s a lot of hours on a portable machine.

• Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    So Sundered was a game I immediately liked the look of when I saw the trailer. When the reviews came out there was a lot of discouraging comments saying a lot of it’s core designs were flawed. Especially in the wake of Hollow Knight it very munch seemed like an inessential purchase.

But this week it’s been on sale and I’m absolutely loving it!.

I think it’s one of those games where if you do a bit of background reading it helps understand the best way to play the game without getting frustrated.

And coop is excellent! It’s simple to warp to the main players location, and regenerating shields means it’s a fairly pain free experience. My son and I would pick an unexplored location and just try our hardest to get there. Whether we made it or not didn’t really matter cause the currency we’d get along the way would allow for a few upgrades for the next run.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    So I think my USB ports on the dock aren't working anymore. :( None of my wired controllers, or my GameCube controller adapter are being detected.

I tried u docking, pulling the power cord, swapping ports and the internal port, and nothing seems to be working. Anyone encountered this before?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Waveform wrote: »

Super Ghouls and Ghosts on the SNES is a million times better than the NES game. I distinctly remember feeling like Super G&G was hard but fun and beatable back when I was a kid.

The original NES game though, yeah, it's bad. Real bad.

Maximo (particularly Army of Zin) beats GnG, in my opinion. I wish Capcom would give those the update treatment.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    MorranMorran Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

Unfortunately, they haven't yet announced which consoles, but the Switch is known for getting ports of old games by now, so fingers crossed.

Really hope these games sell well enough to warrant a port of the new Torment game as well.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »

I'm still on 7 on this computer, actually. I know I should update, but that costs money and then there's all the old doujin shmups I have that probably will not work on 10 and will need me to set up a whole virtualbox thing, and then the whole format and reinstall everything that one should do when installing a new OS... and so laziness keeps winning out.

Also, I was looking at Starlink in the eShop and dang the price difference between the prices mentioned in this thread and the prices in Spain is stark. Basic digital edition is 80 euro (90 dollars), deluxe digital edition is 100 euro (114 dollars). That may be a touch too rich for my blood right now.

you can buy games on any country's eshop, though. savecoins.app shows you which country has the best price, and gives you a link to change country easily.

Also, a wifi access point should be the price of a single game, I'd guess it's a great investment.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Morran wrote: »

Really hope these games sell well enough to warrant a port of the new Torment game as well.

New torment is a different company, one currently owned by Microsoft, so unfortunately I wouldn’t really expect it on switch.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I wasn’t able to rectify the drift in my right joycon and then my left joycon started drifting too so I said fuck it and spent some of my federal return money on neon yellow joycons.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Morran wrote: »

New torment is a different company, one currently owned by Microsoft, so unfortunately I wouldn’t really expect it on switch.

Eh, the Switch is getting Xbox Live. I think at this point it’s obvious Microsoft is more than willing to share their toys with Nintendo.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Axen wrote: »
    Eh, the Switch is getting Xbox Live.

I think this is kind of putting the cart before the horse. It's an SDK that allows integration, and we may see all of two games that actually support it.

However, I will also say that MS seems to be allowing Obsidian and inXile to at least honor prior commitments with their games, like finishing up Pillars of Eternity 2 for Switch. I really hope they're still allowed to support any platforms they want in the future (including Steam and not Win 10 store UWP for example).

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options

I think this is kind of putting the cart before the horse. It's an SDK that allows integration, and we may see all of two games that actually support it.

However, I will also say that MS seems to be allowing Obsidian and inXile to at least honor prior commitments with their games, like finishing up Pillars of Eternity 2 for Switch. I really hope they're still allowed to support any platforms they want in the future (including Steam and not Win 10 store UWP for example).

Well its not just the Xbox Live thing. Nintendo and Microsoft have been unprecedentedly buddy-buddy with each other for a good while now. They've even had joint PR campaigns. Which is pretty incredible considering how protective of their brand Nintendo traditionally is.

I personally don't see Nintendo as being in direct competition with Microsoft or Sony. Maybe the execs see it differently, but I suspect Microsoft believes there is far more to be gained from playing nice with Nintendo then there is from being antagonistic towards them.

Hell, based on the comments Phil Spencer has made over the last couple of months I honestly wouldn't be too surprised to see first party Xbox titles pop up on the Switch, hardware permitting (maybe not Xbone titles, but 360). I think second-party titles are pretty much a given.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

Well its not just the Xbox Live thing. Nintendo and Microsoft have been unprecedentedly buddy-buddy with each other for a good while now. They've even had joint PR campaigns. Which is pretty incredible considering how protective of their brand Nintendo traditionally is.

I personally don't see Nintendo as being in direct competition with Microsoft or Sony. Maybe the execs see it differently, but I suspect Microsoft believes there is far more to be gained from playing nice with Nintendo then there is from being antagonistic towards them.

Hell, based on the comments Phil Spencer has made over the last couple of months I honestly wouldn't be too surprised to see first party Xbox titles pop up on the Switch, hardware permitting (maybe not Xbone titles, but 360). I think second-party titles are pretty much a given.

I mean, could you even begin to imagine that shit happening. I think the internet would short circuit it's collective mind.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    How much money would Microsoft save by just putting XBL and games out on the Switch rather than attempting to Market Xbox whatever-the-next-one-is in Japan? (And MS/Xbox Studios already has Minecraft on Switch).

nusu on
  • Options
    I know right?!

It kinda makes sense from where Phil Spencer is sitting. The Switch is never going to compete with the Xbone (and soon to be Xbone 2 I guess) in terms of AAA games, multiplatform or otherwise. So there isn't really much of a worry about the Switch cannibalizing their sales. On top of that Xbox has a whole bunch of older titles sitting around not making money. Re-releasing them on the Switch would be a win-win for em. The gist of Phil Spencer's comments lately has basically been the idea that moving software is more important than hardware and he wants to open up more markets to do just that.

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    It sounds far-fetched, but Nintendo is essentially doing a very similar thing with mobile games (releasing games on a "competitor's" console in order to reach a market that they're otherwise just not reaching at all) , so maybe I'm just a crotchety old man who is stuck in his ways.

TDawg on
    NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    It wouldn't be the first time there's been games they've published on a Nintendo platform since Xbox started afaik.

Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Dear Nintendo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xnnv-dk3-_c

DO IT YOU COWARDS

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    I wouldn’t object to that - but I’d much rather see the triumphant return of Elite Beat Agents.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    This makes me want Papaton on Switch.
    pon pon pata pon