Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Anthem] Early Access is live. Please mark spoilers. God speed, Freelancers.

18081838586101

Posts

  • DragkoniasDragkonias Registered User regular
    Watching that...I was kind of starting to get iffy on starting as the Colossus but who am I kidding I can't wait to tackle fools.

  • MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    So some streamer today commented that the game was def designed to be played with a controller, and keyboard / mouse was after the fact in design.

    It does make sense based on the button layouts and such... but ugh I love my aiming mouse.

    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

    wra
  • DragkoniasDragkonias Registered User regular
    Yeah. I think my confusion with a lot of people's demo perception is I play on console so I wasn't really having most of the control issues a lot of folks were complaining about.

    PreachercB557ObiFettMoridin889
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    I played Monster Hunter World with a controller on PC. I might do the same for this if those improved KBAM tweaks are not sufficient.

    Future Employee of Planetary Acquisitions, Inc.
    Pax Arcadia(PC) Division Agent
    xu257gunns6e.png

  • SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    I'll be playing controller on PC just out of preference, but the mobility definitely just feels better on a controller imo

    PSN SeGaTai
    HexDexNogginLilnoobsstopgap
  • KyanilisKyanilis Registered User regular
    MMMig wrote: »
    So some streamer today commented that the game was def designed to be played with a controller, and keyboard / mouse was after the fact in design.

    It does make sense based on the button layouts and such... but ugh I love my aiming mouse.

    They've made some significant improvements to kb/m since the demo which they went into in two reddit threads:

    https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheGame/comments/am3lvf/pc_controls_update_aiming_and_flight/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheGame/comments/am4ovn/pc_ui_updates_for_launch/

    We'll see if it's enough but I'll definitely be giving it a shot.

    htm
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited February 8
    I played both Demo's and earlier content entirely with a controller on PC and it was great. This doesn't feel like a game where shooting precision is of the utmost importance. It's all about using abilities, melee, and flight. I personally cannot imagine playing an interceptor on KBM with how melee focused the javelin is.

    Even if the flight controls on PC are worked out for release, the rest of the keybinds (not that they couldn't be rebound) don't feel good. I did briefly try them out and i couldn't get comfortable with them. Maybe I'll give them another try when the game launches and it's possible I'll find a happy medium with them. PC controls for some javelins and controller for others.

    Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | Destiny: Gridlynk | Battlefield 1: Gridlynk
    The_Infidel
  • AegisAegis Not Quite TorontoRegistered User regular
    I just rebound melee to a side mouse button, along with hover and evade.

    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    El MuchoFencingsaxSimpsonia
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited February 8
    Those are the buttons hover and evade are already mapped to. Err, I think evade is middle mouse. The side buttons though are both flight related.

    Rebinding is an option but there are too many abilities I want bound to mouse buttons and there aren't enough mouse buttons. I do have one of those 12+ button Logitech MMO's mice but that's not a route I want to pursue.

    Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | Destiny: Gridlynk | Battlefield 1: Gridlynk
    Fencingsax
  • kaidkaid Registered User regular
    MMMig wrote: »
    So some streamer today commented that the game was def designed to be played with a controller, and keyboard / mouse was after the fact in design.

    It does make sense based on the button layouts and such... but ugh I love my aiming mouse.

    Its clearly designed for controller but after some adjustments it worked fine on my mouse/keyboard. It also looks like for live they are going to be changing some of the mouse defaults to be more in line with what I did manually which makes it a lot more intuitive.

    Trajan45Fencingsax
  • htmhtm Registered User regular
    edited February 8
    MMMig wrote: »
    So some streamer today commented that the game was def designed to be played with a controller, and keyboard / mouse was after the fact in design.

    It does make sense based on the button layouts and such... but ugh I love my aiming mouse.

    The demo was completely and enjoyably playable on M/Kb once you understood how to fix the settings. Flight was a little slushy, but nowhere near game breaking. Hopefully, the launch version will only require adjusting mouse sensitivity to taste. And as others have said, the key bindings weren't necessarily intuitive, but that was easily fixable. I mapped a bunch of stuff to my mouse's side buttons and was much happier.

    Before I read how to fix the mouse settings, I did try out the Xbone controller for a while and I found the controller configuration to be legitimately strange (fly as a stick press? WTF?). I'm no expert on good controller schemes, but apart from the fact that thumbstick flight control was less sloppy once you were in the air, virtually nothing about using the controller felt better vs. M/Kb. Also, I don't think controller buttons were re-bindable.

    htm on
  • AegisAegis Not Quite TorontoRegistered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »
    Those are the buttons hover and evade are already mapped to. Err, I think evade is middle mouse. The side buttons though are both flight related.

    Rebinding is an option but there are too many abilities I want bound to mouse buttons and there aren't enough mouse buttons. I do have one of those 12+ button Logitech MMO's mice but that's not a route I want to pursue.

    Yea in the case of whatever middle mouse button I remapped that to a side button because fuck trying to use middle mouse as a push for anything. I just wanted Hover to not be the same key as zoom since it's awkward if all I want to do is quickly hover and not start zooming down my sights.

    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Yeah. I think my confusion with a lot of people's demo perception is I play on console so I wasn't really having most of the control issues a lot of folks were complaining about.

    Yeah it felt very much like a sloppy port in pc. It was clearly designed with consoles in mind first.

    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    shryke
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    htm wrote: »
    The demo was completely and enjoyably playable on M/Kb once you understood how to fix the settings. Flight was a little slushy, but nowhere near game breaking.

    I dunno, the first thing I did after flying 10 feet was stop and adjust the three flight settings available in different permutations and it all felt like garbage. I didn't end up trying the ini edits or whatever were out there because I didn't need a PTT key or anything, so I stayed on controller for the demo.

    s7Imn5J.png
  • rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    Cool trailer, but that's some seriously middle school-level cringe-inducing dialogue.

    Loire_Eure_Chartres5_tango7174.jpg
    Croakerautono-wally, erotibot3003clipse
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    That's how trailers be though, especially if you got a trailer that you want to show random people and be like "LOOK AT WHAT YOU CAN DO"

    Generic lines to convey awesome power fantasy of being Iron Man

  • AegisAegis Not Quite TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited February 9
    Regarding faster leveling/experience gain, via the ask a question reddit thread just for confirmation:
    Experience comes from feats. One feat may be to kill 50 enemies, but there is no experience gained outside of feats (such as XP per enemy). Feats reset every expedition (and they are earned and shared as a group.
    So yea, checking your feats tab while in freeplay/whatever is probably a good idea to see how close your various medals/feats are at to the next upgrade (they tend to go bronze/silver/gold) for another quick 50xp.

    Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    PreacherCorporal Carl3clipse
  • MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    What controller for pc do y'all recommend?

    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

    wra
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    MMMig wrote: »
    What controller for pc do y'all recommend?

    If you don't want to fiddle with an extra program, an Xbox One controller is pretty good.

    Future Employee of Planetary Acquisitions, Inc.
    Pax Arcadia(PC) Division Agent
    xu257gunns6e.png

    QanamilKhraulThe_Infidel3clipseBullhead
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Any game that has controller support will have Xbox controller prompts as default, since Microsoft adapted it as the official Windows gamepad.

    Personally I prefer using a DS4, but games that officially support it with relevant prompts are few and far between and you'll need to use third party programs.

  • KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    I can't access anything gamey behind the work filters, so maybe someone can answer this for me.

    Are there different Anthem editions you can buy? What comes with each and what are the pre-order bonuses?

    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    Regarding faster leveling/experience gain, via the ask a question reddit thread just for confirmation:
    Experience comes from feats. One feat may be to kill 50 enemies, but there is no experience gained outside of feats (such as XP per enemy). Feats reset every expedition (and they are earned and shared as a group.
    So yea, checking your feats tab while in freeplay/whatever is probably a good idea to see how close your various medals/feats are at to the next upgrade (they tend to go bronze/silver/gold) for another quick 50xp.

    If they're going to use a system like that then that's probably the best way, but it's still just inferior to the bog standard I kill something and it gives me XP. Fixing won't isn't broken. Add the feats on top of that. But then this slows the game down, probably the main idea behind it.

    "For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men. Not women. Not beasts...this you can trust."
  • dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »
    I can't access anything gamey behind the work filters, so maybe someone can answer this for me.

    Are there different Anthem editions you can buy? What comes with each and what are the pre-order bonuses?

    Yes, one, "Legion of Dawn", and you get some cosmetics and an emblem. That's it.

    KhraulRchanen
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »
    I can't access anything gamey behind the work filters, so maybe someone can answer this for me.

    Are there different Anthem editions you can buy? What comes with each and what are the pre-order bonuses?

    I believe there is only one upgraded edition for like eighty dollars US. Comes with skins for all the javelins and an extra gun, its something dawn edition.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
    KhraulRchanen
  • dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Aegis wrote: »
    Regarding faster leveling/experience gain, via the ask a question reddit thread just for confirmation:
    Experience comes from feats. One feat may be to kill 50 enemies, but there is no experience gained outside of feats (such as XP per enemy). Feats reset every expedition (and they are earned and shared as a group.
    So yea, checking your feats tab while in freeplay/whatever is probably a good idea to see how close your various medals/feats are at to the next upgrade (they tend to go bronze/silver/gold) for another quick 50xp.

    If they're going to use a system like that then that's probably the best way, but it's still just inferior to the bog standard I kill something and it gives me XP. Fixing won't isn't broken. Add the feats on top of that. But then this slows the game down, probably the main idea behind it.

    I really really like not giving a crap about mob XP.

    PreacherMoridin889El Mucho3clipseFawstspool32Rchanenshryke
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    World events, side quests also give exp they did in the demo. Probably just trying to have it be someone can't just farm enemies to get up to max level immediately.

    Like I know in the demo there was a world event that if you didn't do the event there was endless scar to just farm and farm.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    dporowski wrote: »
    Khraul wrote: »
    I can't access anything gamey behind the work filters, so maybe someone can answer this for me.

    Are there different Anthem editions you can buy? What comes with each and what are the pre-order bonuses?

    Yes, one, "Legion of Dawn", and you get some cosmetics and an emblem. That's it.

    Also a gun, I believe. And while people have mentioned 'lol you probably outlevel it by level 5', if it's a blueprint, it might last a lot longer than that, depending on the availability of the resources to craft it.

    I'm not saying anything either way, more noting there's something else than just the cosmetics. How good or not the weapon actually is remains to be seen.

    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Having dealt with ubisoft recently and their 9 editions of a game I was thankful anthem only has the two honestly.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
    Kana
  • KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    So.... was there a preorder bonus other than beta access? Or is it a different set of skins?

    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »
    So.... was there a preorder bonus other than beta access? Or is it a different set of skins?

    I think maybe an emblem if you played in the VIP demo? Absolutely nothing "worthwhile" anyway, all of their preorder bonuses are very, very forgettable and I approve.

    KhraulKana
  • KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    dporowski wrote: »
    Khraul wrote: »
    So.... was there a preorder bonus other than beta access? Or is it a different set of skins?

    I think maybe an emblem if you played in the VIP demo? Absolutely nothing "worthwhile" anyway, all of their preorder bonuses are very, very forgettable and I approve.

    The lack of preorder nonsense is pretty good.... but it's so un-EA. I just found it confusing.

    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Hopefully theres some good battle damaged, rust and scrap visual options for the colossus.

    Want mine to look like the biggest broken down piece of shit.

    Ab3HW.png
    FF14: Buckle Landrunner
    Steam Profile
    3DS FC: 1246-9730-5556
  • KyanilisKyanilis Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    dporowski wrote: »
    Khraul wrote: »
    I can't access anything gamey behind the work filters, so maybe someone can answer this for me.

    Are there different Anthem editions you can buy? What comes with each and what are the pre-order bonuses?

    Yes, one, "Legion of Dawn", and you get some cosmetics and an emblem. That's it.

    Also a gun, I believe. And while people have mentioned 'lol you probably outlevel it by level 5', if it's a blueprint, it might last a lot longer than that, depending on the availability of the resources to craft it.

    I'm not saying anything either way, more noting there's something else than just the cosmetics. How good or not the weapon actually is remains to be seen.

    I'm not sure where the "it might be a blueprint" thing came from because it's only ever referred to as a weapon, not a blueprint. The devs have also indicated it's special and a low level legendary. While I don't think anyone has asked or if the devs have said it's not a blueprint, there's nothing indicating that it is so I'm not that worried.

  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Kyanilis wrote: »
    Forar wrote: »
    dporowski wrote: »
    Khraul wrote: »
    I can't access anything gamey behind the work filters, so maybe someone can answer this for me.

    Are there different Anthem editions you can buy? What comes with each and what are the pre-order bonuses?

    Yes, one, "Legion of Dawn", and you get some cosmetics and an emblem. That's it.

    Also a gun, I believe. And while people have mentioned 'lol you probably outlevel it by level 5', if it's a blueprint, it might last a lot longer than that, depending on the availability of the resources to craft it.

    I'm not saying anything either way, more noting there's something else than just the cosmetics. How good or not the weapon actually is remains to be seen.

    I'm not sure where the "it might be a blueprint" thing came from because it's only ever referred to as a weapon, not a blueprint. The devs have also indicated it's special and a low level legendary. While I don't think anyone has asked or if the devs have said it's not a blueprint, there's nothing indicating that it is so I'm not that worried.

    Maybe people getting it mixed up with The Division, which is a gun and an endgame blueprint?

  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 9
    You get blueprints for using weapons. So you get the weapon, and presumably the blueprint as you use it.

    Fencingsax on
    torchlight-sig-80.jpg
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    dporowski wrote: »
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Aegis wrote: »
    Regarding faster leveling/experience gain, via the ask a question reddit thread just for confirmation:
    Experience comes from feats. One feat may be to kill 50 enemies, but there is no experience gained outside of feats (such as XP per enemy). Feats reset every expedition (and they are earned and shared as a group.
    So yea, checking your feats tab while in freeplay/whatever is probably a good idea to see how close your various medals/feats are at to the next upgrade (they tend to go bronze/silver/gold) for another quick 50xp.

    If they're going to use a system like that then that's probably the best way, but it's still just inferior to the bog standard I kill something and it gives me XP. Fixing won't isn't broken. Add the feats on top of that. But then this slows the game down, probably the main idea behind it.

    I really really like not giving a crap about mob XP.

    I like getting mob XP but really only in a case where all kill exp is divided evenly among the group so I don't have to worry about tagging mobs or any of that bullshit.

    Which I think probably just means I like seeing numbers pop up and filling bars :P

    FencingsaxBasilDr. ChaosLilnoobsBobbledporowskiRchanen
  • MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    So wait, the legion of dawn version doesn't get you access on 2-15? I didn't read the deets so I just assumed.

    Are only people who are on the origin bonus plan able to play on 2-15, everyone else waits a week?

    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

    wra
    SeGaTai
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 9
    Kyanilis wrote: »
    Forar wrote: »
    dporowski wrote: »
    Khraul wrote: »
    I can't access anything gamey behind the work filters, so maybe someone can answer this for me.

    Are there different Anthem editions you can buy? What comes with each and what are the pre-order bonuses?

    Yes, one, "Legion of Dawn", and you get some cosmetics and an emblem. That's it.

    Also a gun, I believe. And while people have mentioned 'lol you probably outlevel it by level 5', if it's a blueprint, it might last a lot longer than that, depending on the availability of the resources to craft it.

    I'm not saying anything either way, more noting there's something else than just the cosmetics. How good or not the weapon actually is remains to be seen.

    I'm not sure where the "it might be a blueprint" thing came from because it's only ever referred to as a weapon, not a blueprint. The devs have also indicated it's special and a low level legendary. While I don't think anyone has asked or if the devs have said it's not a blueprint, there's nothing indicating that it is so I'm not that worried.

    It's speculation based on the mechanics of the game that Fencingsax noted, I didn't 'get it' from The Division or anything else but noting how other game mechanics work.

    It is an unknown, which is why I included several caveats, the key point was that the LoD edition is more than just 'some armour bits and an emblem'. What the actual value of that thing is, has yet to be seen. But it wasn't being included in the posts I responded to, so I thought I'd point out there is something else, even if we're lacking pertinent details, and might well until the 15th lands and a bunch of this Schrodinger's Game Mechanics stuff finally has to exist in one form or another. Like the microtransactions they remain coy about, despite us being less than a week from players having access to them (and yes, while I do believe them that it's being adjusted and tweaked, I have zero reason to believe they haven't had a reasonably firm view on what their business model is).

    Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    MMMig wrote: »
    So wait, the legion of dawn version doesn't get you access on 2-15? I didn't read the deets so I just assumed.

    Are only people who are on the origin bonus plan able to play on 2-15, everyone else waits a week?

    This is correct.

    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • AegisAegis Not Quite TorontoRegistered User regular
    With the slight addendum that anyone on Origin Premier can use their refer-a-friend codes to give people 7 days of Origin Basic which gives them 10 hours of Anthem on the 15th.

    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    Turambar
This discussion has been closed.