As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NFL] Thread: Pittsburgh At Cleveland? There Is No Dog.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    There are two things that I like about Schiano:
    1. Signing the paralyzed Rutgers player to a day contract for the Bucs
    2. The kick-off rule he came up with seems pretty fun

Had to look this up, and found the 2nd is a result of the circumstances of the 1st.

"The rule -- developed by Schiano after watching one of his Rutgers players, Eric LeGrand, become paralyzed on a kickoff -- gives the scoring team the ball on its own 30-yard line. The scoring team can either punt the ball to its opponent or try to gain 15 yards with one offensive play to retain possession."

I like this. It gives a team a chance to get the equivalent of an "onside", but it's a pass, not a kick, it's a sufficient distance that it's neither a sure thing nor too unlikely, and it removes the risks* inherent with kickoffs. I like it. The only thing I'd be concerned about is making sure a defensive penalty that results in auto-first-down doesn't count. Just mark off the yards, make it easier.

Because D's get dicked on that rule way too much, and unless O's start getting more "loss of down" penalties for similar infractions, just mark off the yards. But that's another rant.

* Also removes the clear frustrations of every second fucking kickoff that's returned, having a penalty. Happens. All. The. Time.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I absolutely despise how the defense is fucked over harder on penalties that the offense. Automatic first downs should only happen on, say, personal fouls (that do not include incedental contact).

I just love the defensive holding call.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    I absolutely despise how the defense is fucked over harder on penalties that the offense. Automatic first downs should only happen on, say, personal fouls (that do not include incedental contact).

I just love the defensive holding call.

I'll tack on multiple but uneven offsetting penalties. Can't remember which game it was, but I know it was the Bengals (because Burfict), but the Bengals had three separate penalties. The opposition had one. All penalties offset. Wait? What? No. Doesn't happen often, but it's bullshit. If you hold me, I hold you, and then your teammate decks the QB, how is it fair to go "do over!".

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Perhaps if we stop replaying downs, games could end a little bit quicker.

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    So, after seeing how the New England D performed in this SB vs the last...think anyone in the Lions office is regretting the Patricia hire?

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    MorganV wrote: »
    I like this. It gives a team a chance to get the equivalent of an "onside", but it's a pass, not a kick, it's a sufficient distance that it's neither a sure thing nor too unlikely, and it removes the risks* inherent with kickoffs. I like it. The only thing I'd be concerned about is making sure a defensive penalty that results in auto-first-down doesn't count. Just mark off the yards, make it easier.

IMO, each defensive penalty results in a replay with no time taken off the clock, and the position of the ball moves up by five yards. So, you start out needing 15 yards. After one defensive penalty, you need 10 yards. After two, you need 5 yards. After three, the offense just gets the ball on first and ten.

So, after seeing how the New England D performed in this SB vs the last...think anyone in the Lions office is regretting the Patricia hire?

Belichick specifically called out after the game that he used Detroit's defensive plan. So, who knows.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
    Shadowhope wrote: »

IMO, each defensive penalty results in a replay with no time taken off the clock, and the position of the ball moves up by five yards. So, you start out needing 15 yards. After one defensive penalty, you need 10 yards. After two, you need 5 yards. After three, the offense just gets the ball on first and ten.

Time should always come off the clock. Because with this setup, a team could conceivably keep bombing touchdowns since they will constantly get the ball back.

Of course, it's also a good time to eliminate the spot foul on DPI because I'm sure that would be exploited to keep the ball with no serious effort to gain fifteen yards.

The reality is that changing an aspect of the game would almost assuredly require changes to the game on an almost fundamental level.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Schiano sucks bad, wow

Time should always come off the clock. Because with this setup, a team could conceivably keep bombing touchdowns since they will constantly get the ball back.

Of course, it's also a good time to eliminate the spot foul on DPI because I'm sure that would be exploited to keep the ball with no serious effort to gain fifteen yards.

The reality is that changing an aspect of the game would almost assuredly require changes to the game on an almost fundamental level.

If time comes off the clock, the defense can just keep holding with impunity and decapitating receivers and burn off fifteen seconds. Maybe time comes off the clock if there’s a play, but not if there’s a defensive penalty.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.

Belichick specifically called out after the game that he used Detroit's defensive plan. So, who knows.

I’ll go to my grave believing he let Detroit win that game earlier this season, so this doesn’t really do anything for me.

If time comes off the clock, the defense can just keep holding with impunity and decapitating receivers and burn off fifteen seconds. Maybe time comes off the clock if there’s a play, but not if there’s a defensive penalty.

So?

• BobbleBobble Registered User regular

I’ll go to my grave believing he let Detroit win that game earlier this season, so this doesn’t really do anything for me.

I assume Bill was talking about the Detroit defensive plan against the Rams (which LA won, but that doesn't mean he couldn't find anything of value on the tape), not from the game the Pats definitely threw.

Bobble wrote: »

I assume Bill was talking about the Detroit defensive plan against the Rams (which LA won, but that doesn't mean he couldn't find anything of value on the tape), not from the game the Pats definitely threw.

I meant more in the sense that I feel he already propped up Patricia once this season, so doing it again doesn't surprise me.

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Brian Flores (pat lb coach) is officially heafcoach of miami. Only coach to get a 5 year contract of new hires so far. Granted money as well. So miami might be all in on its rebuilding and qb in 2020 plans.

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular

I really really don't think Belichick is the kind of guy to throw a game.

• ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »

I really really don't think Belichick is the kind of guy to throw a game.

I would be surprised if he could even throw a game of Candyland with his own kids.

So?

So...?

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    When Brady retires, FOX will give him Aikman's job.

He will be just as bad at it

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

Literally impossible.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular

Literally impossible.

jason witten has proved there are no depths to which broadcast talent cannot sink

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • kilnbornkilnborn Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »

Literally impossible.

jason witten has proved there are no depths to which broadcast talent cannot sink

Jason Witten is the 52nd worst person doing commentary on ESPN. 2nd worst during games. Booger is worse. I like how Mel Kipper has never, ever, ever predicted a draft pick and here he is, decades later, talking about the draft.

edited February 2019
    kilnborn wrote: »
    Knight_ wrote: »

Literally impossible.

Jason Witten is the 52nd worst person doing commentary on ESPN. 2nd worst during games. Booger is worse. I like how Mel Kipper has never, ever, ever predicted a draft pick and here he is, decades later, talking about the draft.

To be fair, getting picks right is silly because you’re relying on both your talent evaluation rankings and trying to guess what teams will do (and we’re talking teams like the Browns and Lions).

The issue with Kiper is his awful and outdated talent evaluation.

Captain Inertia on
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    I'm skeptical of the Schiano thing actually happening for a few reasons. One, the same report came out last year and it was bogus. Two, Schiano has his own defense and BB seems unlikely to have a guy call plays and teach his defense when he doesn't have experience in it. Three, every coordinator hire has been internal (Weiss, RAC, McDaniels, Pees, BOB, Patricia, McDaniels II, and Flores). And four only one guy has this. Jim McBride has it in the Globe but everyone else is basing it on that.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    IT'S HERE!

Oh, and for those who might be interested in some of their rules:

• There will be no extra point kicks and all teams must go for two after a touchdown.
    • Halves and post-score drives begin on a team’s 25-yard-line.
    • No onside kicks but a team can keep possession of the ball by attempting a play from their own 28-yard line and gaining at least 12 yards.
    • The play clock will run for 35 seconds.
    • Overtime will be played under high school football rules, a.k.a. the Kansas Playoff. Each team begins at their opponent’s 10-yard line and has one possession to score. If the teams remain tied after both attempts, the game ends in a tie.
    • Coaches are allowed two challenges but cannot challenge a call in the last two minutes of either half or in overtime (challenges are automatic in those timeframes).
    • There are no TV timeouts and there are 60 percent fewer “full-screen commercials.” To make up for that lost revenue, expect to see more product placement throughout the broadcast.

How badly you wanna watch?

Yup. The NFL Network will broadcast a rival league's games.

• CBSSN and NFLN will be the home of the AAF for the rest of the season (full schedule here).
    • NFL Network has agreed to broadcast 19 games across the entire season, while CBS Sports Network will air one AAF game per week.
    • Also, TNT and B/R Live will broadcast one AAF regular season and one playoff game. Meanwhile, one regular season game every week will be streamed via B/R Live.
    • Every AAF game will also be streamed on the CBS All Access app, which will cost you $5.99/month for streaming with ads or $9.99/month without.

If you're wondering who you should root for, Memphis has former NFL superstar, Christian Hackenberg. Or just pick your favourite logo.

Be there, or be square! Or wait for XFL 2.0 in 2020! Woo.

Those are real good rules

Overtime rules sounds like you want the opponent to go first. Stop them, kick a field goal, go home.

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    IT'S HERE!

Oh, and for those who might be interested in some of their rules:

• There will be no extra point kicks and all teams must go for two after a touchdown.
    • Halves and post-score drives begin on a team’s 25-yard-line.
    • No onside kicks but a team can keep possession of the ball by attempting a play from their own 28-yard line and gaining at least 12 yards.
    • The play clock will run for 35 seconds.
    • Overtime will be played under high school football rules, a.k.a. the Kansas Playoff. Each team begins at their opponent’s 10-yard line and has one possession to score. If the teams remain tied after both attempts, the game ends in a tie.
    • Coaches are allowed two challenges but cannot challenge a call in the last two minutes of either half or in overtime (challenges are automatic in those timeframes).
    • There are no TV timeouts and there are 60 percent fewer “full-screen commercials.” To make up for that lost revenue, expect to see more product placement throughout the broadcast.

How badly you wanna watch?

Yup. The NFL Network will broadcast a rival league's games.

• CBSSN and NFLN will be the home of the AAF for the rest of the season (full schedule here).
    • NFL Network has agreed to broadcast 19 games across the entire season, while CBS Sports Network will air one AAF game per week.
    • Also, TNT and B/R Live will broadcast one AAF regular season and one playoff game. Meanwhile, one regular season game every week will be streamed via B/R Live.
    • Every AAF game will also be streamed on the CBS All Access app, which will cost you $5.99/month for streaming with ads or $9.99/month without.

If you're wondering who you should root for, Memphis has former NFL superstar, Christian Hackenberg. Or just pick your favourite logo.

Be there, or be square! Or wait for XFL 2.0 in 2020! Woo.

Okay I may have to look for a Hotshots shirt....

God damnit

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    It's not really a rival league. In fact, the AAF would solve a few problems for the NFL with regards to a developmental league.

So it's not surprising that they're supporting the AAF.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »

I meant more in the sense that I feel he already propped up Patricia once this season, so doing it again doesn't surprise me.

You could argue that he did a decent job coaching up a defense with very little talent. Our offense tanke this year.

Judging a coach after 1 year is a terrible mindset to be in. Maybe Patricia will be a bust, but let’s give it at least 3 years before judging.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    So is it 8 teams? The names kind of remind me of that Replacements movie ha. I see Denard Robinson is on the ATL team.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
    It's not really a rival league. In fact, the AAF would solve a few problems for the NFL with regards to a developmental league.

Unless that was stated somewhere and I haven't seen it, I think that's a future goal.

edited February 2019
    The AAF lets their players get “called up” to the NFL without issue and holds their spots.

In fact, they are loudly promoting Josh Johnson being the top QB pick and immediately being able to sign with the Slurs, and are holding a spot for him for if/when he’s released there.

So...

Captain Inertia on
    edited February 2019

Unless that was stated somewhere and I haven't seen it, I think that's a future goal.

It might not be a stated goal, but it is already happening. One of the podcasts I listen to, one of the hosts decided he was all in on this league, in particular, the San Diego Fleet, and how they used a draft pick to secure a local player, Josh Johnson.

Josh Johnson worked through the pre-preseason, looked good, and was hired by the Redskins after they hobbled their two starting QBs. And while he didn't blow the doors off, he proved he deserved a shot. Much to the chagrin of the podcast host I mentioned earlier.

So, even before their first game, the AAF is already proving itself as a feeder league.

EDIT: Goddamn it, @Captain_Inertia!

MorganV on
    Okay, I'm convinced.

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Sweet methadone....

No teams within a 1000 miles of me but my Mom's family mostly lives in AZ now and they have a nice logo so I'll provisionally back them. Birmingham Iron as a backup maybe

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    Check the XFL 2.0.

Check the XFL 2.0.

I’m still pretty sure this isn’t even going to happen

Check the XFL 2.0.

I’m still pretty sure this isn’t even going to happen

I want it only for the hilarious nature of the completely unforseen failure.

And maybe the final nail in McMahon's coffin.

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Well I'm recording the game tomorrow, will check it out.

This is the league Ricky william's helped start right?

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Who would play voluntarily in the XFL considering:

A.) The previous iterations history and shared ownership.

B.) The fact that this league is to market first and picked the ideal window to play in (starting before spring training for baseball even) and has a nascent relationship with the NFL who ever since NFL Europe stopped has no development league

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee